Chapter 3
80 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Anyway, we’ll probably install a tether sooner rather than later to save on fuel consumption. Our ships are pretty efficient but even they can’t survive forever on sunshine and flowers.” says Zack as we exit out the bay doors.

The massive vessel had been bigger and more complex than I’d ever seen and even the bay which I stood was massive. I can barely see across the room as people and vehicles of all shapes and sizes fill up the space. Looking up you could almost mistake the roof for the sky if it weren’t for the lights arrayed in a very unique pattern. It’s breath-taking and the only way I can describe it is seeing stars in the middle of the day.

“But if you keep using it wouldn’t it slow down eventually?” I ask trying to make it seem like I wasn’t gawking at the roof.

“Your very clever for your age aren’t you. Though the only way it’ll slow down is if we only use it one way. If we use the tether to slow ships into the atmosphere where do you think the energy goes?” He says holding up a finger while spinning his other finger in a circle.

“Into the tether? Wouldn’t make it hotter as well?” I ask, my voice dripping with incredulity.

“Yes, and yes. The heat and friction were the main issue in development actually. But catching the ship with a tether does two main and very useful things. First it slows down ships enough to enter the atmosphere safely; and second, it gives enough force to pull a ship into orbit. It’s much better than strapping large explosive canisters of fuel under you and hope you don’t blow up don’t you think?”

“I guess so, but aren’t your ships too big and heavy? Can a tether really pull it off the ground?”

“Nope. Not a chance. We launch our ship like any other to begin with but after we reach a proper position and speed it saves fuel and space to latch onto the tether and let it take us away.” He finishes thrusting his arm forward.

“So, what did you make the tether out of?” I ask as we step back into the Spaceport building.

There was still some debris but much less then when we first came through with the others. I see some holes in the wall and even a patch or two of faded brownish stains, but the main hall was empty besides us which is depressing. I’d never seen this place empty even though we live in the middle of nowhere. In fact, I think it was the edge of nowhere till the Humans showed us they were out even further.

I think Zack noticed that I’m a bit distracted since he hasn’t replied yet, but the answer seems less important now for some reason. Then I felt a pat on my back. I heard a clink every time his suits glove hit the back of my suit, but it felt soft and oddly reassuring. I filed that away so that I can ask why that is later. Right now, I can’t help but think that maybe it was someone I knew who left that stain there. Then everything went blurry and wet.

“Hey Champ. It’s okay to cry about sad things. How about you take that helmet off now that you’re outside. It might make you a bit more comfortable.” He says as he gestures towards a seat on one of the benches near us. ”Your parents will be here soon and I’m sure they will be so proud of how brave you’ve been through everything today.” he says trying his best to comfort me with his robot voice.

I do as he says and unhook the latch keeping my helmet sealed. It tries to complain about the air being toxic to humans, but I just ignore it for obvious reasons. Taking it off does make me feel a little better and breathing normal air again is much better than what the suit could make. From the seat I can’t really see all of their ship, but the darkish cobalt colour is interesting in itself as it reminds me of the ocean. A really deep part of the ocean where the depth hides many things just beyond your ability to see further. A more apt comparison to these strange visitors than anything else I can think of at the moment.

“What happened here?” I ask wanting an answer so badly.

“I don’t know kid. I just don’t know,” his voice behind the robot was sad and he looks a bit deflated now as well. “I was sent out first to make sure that the exit to the Spaceport was safe enough for the Admiral to be escorted out of later and I heard a weapon go off as soon as I got there.” He says letting out a breath afterwards.

He pauses for a moment before speaking a bit quitter, “When I heard that sound, I did what I thought was right and sealed us in. You see, my job is to protect people. When I got you and your friends trapped in alongside us it became my job to make sure everyone of you was safe.”

“That sounds nice.” I say trying to stop my voice from wavering. “Protecting people. I wish I could do that too.”

“You have done more than you realise. I keep people safe physically, but I could never do what you did even half as well. You stood up when everyone else faltered and you showed them that there was nothing to fear. You saw a friend in a stranger and that is something special.”

“We were still scared, and they still didn’t trust you. I didn’t do much.” I say trying to dry my eyes with the suits gloves and failing.

He reaches over and ruffles the hair on top of my head. “I’m going to tell you a secret between just you and me alright? I’m just one person. In fact, we are all just one person. But even in the worst situation, I believe, that if each of us do the best that we can do that we can make life just a little bit better.”

I see my parents across the platform walking towards us. I can barely see them, but I can already tell that mum hasn’t slept at all since I left, and dad seems even more worried for some reason. Then I feel a little jab from Zack’s elbow.

“The real secret is that I was scared too.” He whispers before standing to greet my parents.

When mum got within a few metres she lunged at me so fast that by the time I realised what happened I was already being smothered in the biggest hug I think I’d ever had. She was crying and I think I would have cried again too if I had any tears left to cry. But thankfully I was saved any further embarrassment tonight. In fact, I think I might have fallen on my butt when mum tackled me if I didn’t have this suit on.

“Art, my Art. You’re okay. I was so worried; they didn’t let us see you for so long. We were here as soon as we heard the news, you silly girl. How did we know you’d be at the centre of this whole thing? Are you hurt? Did they hurt you? They hurt you, didn’t they?” she says without a single breath or pause.

“I’m fine mum. Stop, you’re embarrassing me.” I whisper quickly before she kept going.

“Embarrassing you? I’m happy to embarrass you more! My baby was in danger and all she can think is that her mum’s worry is embarrassing? Well you must be okay if you can talk back to me that much!” she says seeming a little too relieved.

I manage to pry myself out of her arms enough to see my dad talking to Zack. I don’t know why but even I can tell my dad is tense and ready to spring to action on a moment’s notice. He’s not wearing his armour from his time in the military but the cloths he’s wearing are clearly padded with something.

It made him seem oddly buff, but I could say the same about my stuffed toys at home. Maybe it’s because I’m his daughter but it’s hard to see him as intimidating. Behind his ear just below the grey streak, if you scratch that he’ll be on the ground squirming in seconds. He almost dropped me when I discovered that, and mum has never let him live it down.

“Dad, that’s enough. He’s a friend.”

“A friend in uniform Art. What about you soldier? Government or private outfit?” He says without turning away from Zack.

“Government, though more than half on board are from one corporation or another. Our psychologist is on an independent contract along with a few others who provide their services. My name is Zachariah by the way.” He says while trying to look non-threatening. Well as non-threatening as a fully armoured and armed soldier can be.

My father seems to relax at this and nods to himself slowly before walking over to mum and I. Mum had still not let go of me, but his arms were enough to wrap around both us. I once more couldn’t breathe. It felt too long since I was last at home even though I know it couldn’t have been more than a day. So, when he let go again I kind of miss the warmth of not breathing.

“The name’s Lucas. I know a soldier has to look out for themselves first and they have their mission. A lot of people got hurt tonight but… Thanks for keeping her safe.”

“My mission is keeping people safe Mr. Ryte. I think we had better go home for the night. It’s been a long day and I’m sure Art will tell you everything about today.”

Mum finally let’s go before looking a bit embarrassed for her reaction. Not that I’d think anyone would fault her for hugging me. I’m just glad none of my friends were here to see it.

“Alright then. Let’s that suit off and get something to eat before bed. I’m exhausted and hungry.” He says gesturing at the environment suit I wore to see the Admiral.

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” Zack interjects. “You can take it off at home. We have a few kids on board but it’ll be a few years before they’re the proper height to wear that, so we are not in any hurry.” He looks like he’s about to say more but a small beep echoes from his wrist.

“Excuse me, it looks like I’m wanted on-board… Would it be alright if I checked up on you three in a few days? We’re just making sure everyone who was here is okay and settled back into normal life.”

“Can he dad?” I say just before my dad can say anything. “Maybe we can show him around. It’s the least I can do for helping me.” I say cheerily.

“Alright, I’ll see you later.” My dad says while pushing my back towards the doors.

It feels a bit rushed to leave so quickly after being here for hours on end, but it is getting late. I guess my parents want to get home before dark truly sets in over the city. Normally the station would always be lit up with many different stores and attractions but right now only the essential lights are in use. As we leave, I hear a small ping and a little display on my arm lights up. It shows a message from Zack telling me I should practice wearing the suit as often as I can.

Especially with the helmet on for some reason. He even sent over some weird pictures of people running and a few games to play as well. Maybe he wants to see how fast I am at learning how to use it? Maybe it’s a test to see if I’m good enough to be a recruit! I know I’m too young for the Union military, but nobody has said anything about an age limit for them yet.

If I play my cards right maybe, I can join an academy and if they join the Union it’ll be the same as enrolling in the Union! Once we got out onto the streets outside it is eerily quiet, which is even more odd than the space station being closed. I try and ask why but mum just covers my mouth and shakes her head. It wasn’t till we got to the gate between sector 1 and 3. There were about eight persons wearing similar suits to the ones I saw on-board the ship.

As we approach the gate dad gets something out of his pocket that looks like a little booklet and starts flipping through the pages. I see a post standing in front of the gate that I’d never seen before and when dad finally stops flicking through the booklet, he puts it next to the post. Two loud tings go off in quick succession and the top of the post lights up green. I see one of what I guess to be Humans nod and the gate opens. I’m pushed forward again, and we cross into sector 3. I hear the noise of the gate close but dad never let his hand leave my back so I couldn’t see it close.

When we made it home, I heard them both sigh out as if they had been holding their breath the whole time. Then dad looks me over and grabs the helmet and placing it on my head. I feel the latch click and the odd smelling air fills my nose.

“Dad, what’s going on? What’s happening?” I say anxiously.

“Things have changed very very quickly and we’re all trying to keep up. I think it’s best if we all just get some rest okay. Just leave the helmet on as well.”

“Why?”

“Just don’t take it off. It’s not safe.” He says holding my arm a bit too tight.

“Dad, you’re scaring me. Why is it not safe?”

“It’s just not okay!” He screams before calming himself and looking me in the eye. I’ve never seen him this serious before. “If there weren’t any checkpoints on the way home, I would’ve never let you leave that station without wearing that mask. Do not be seen with it and do not leave the house at all. Now go to bed.”

His stern voice reassured me that this wasn’t a debate and mum didn’t say anything at all. She looked away from me when I looked at her and that hurt me more than how angry dad seems to be. I walk up the stairs to my room, but I knew they weren’t going to bed yet. The floor in my room was really thin and I could hear mumbles sometimes when I try to sleep.

I found a trick a few years ago when one of my friends told me how cupping your ear against the wood can let you hear things more clearly. Ever since I used that technique to listen to more than a few good stories. But with this new suit I don’t seem to need to do that anymore. I can hear them as clear as if they were standing right next to me and they were talking about some frightening things.

“She has a gas mask Mary. My little girl is going to grow up and all I can think about is what’s happening outside.” I hear my father say soullessly.

“We don’t know anything about it! We don’t where it comes from and we certainly don’t know what it could do to her! What if it’s worse.”

“Worse than what? Dying slowly on this toxic world? Do you know what it’s like to listen to her talk about exploring the universe, living a life of adventure when she’s probably going to die before even becoming an adult?”

“Yes. I do Lucas. Everyday, but there is nothing we can do about it.” She sobs.

“There was nothing we could do about it. Now she has a chance.”

“We don’t know them. They’re not even Union. How do we know this isn’t a trap? A sadistic bastard’s game to give us hope before taking her away?”

“Then at least she would be away from here.” dad says resolutely.

“We can’t keep her locked up here forever and outside there are many people just as desperate to get a mask as we were. I’d hate to think what I would have done to get one if I saw one while walking down the street.”

“Lucas… If they take her and not us… How long can we last?”

“Mary…” My fathers voice says softly before mum interrupts him.

“How many years Lucas?” She says with quiet defiance.

“For me. twelve years till the toxins build up enough.”

“For me?”

“Nine. Ten if we’re lucky. We’d be the oldest ones here since I grew up off-world and you seem to have a small immunity.”

“Then we have nine years Lucas. Plead with them if you have to, to take our little girl and then we spend our time getting money together to get off this rock.”

“You know I was resolved to die on this planet when I first met you. It took every Credit to buy your freedom that I had nothing left to leave with. I was again resolved to die here when we had our daughter and try to give her the best life I could… Will you live with me Mary? No matter what we have to do? No matter how long it takes? To see our little girl all grown up somewhere far from here?” I can hear the trembling in his voice.

“Of course, Lucas. Anything, always.” She says with strength I didn’t know she possessed.

Then it went quiet besides some gross kissing noises. I don’t really know what to do with everything I’d just learned but I wasn’t handling it tonight and probably wouldn’t for a while. I went over to my bed and laid on it without taking the suit off and left my helmet on. It wasn’t comfortable and didn’t feel right but I’m not taking it off.

I’ve been breathing toxic air since I was born and didn’t even realise it. I was dying and didn’t even realise it. We were stuck on this planet and I didn’t even realise it. I need to get off this world now, but I wouldn’t leave my parents behind to do it. I had thought that if I got into the military, I’d be able to visit but it was clear that I couldn’t leave them here anymore. I’d talk to Zack when he came and plead for him to take us. All of us and we’ll leave here together. No matter what, no matter how. As dad said.

I turn off my lights and turn on my side to get some sleep. Then I thought about how the air in the suit smelled funny. Maybe it didn’t smell funny. Maybe it was my first breath of fresh air since I was born. I don’t feel tired anymore.

2