Chapter 25: The Wedding Day
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room was dimly lit, sunlight streaming through sheer curtains and casting a warm glow on the gold accents that adorned the large cabin. The Hoods used this place as their city hall, but today, it felt more like a prison to me. I could feel the loneliness creeping in, suffocating me, as I stood there on my wedding day – a day that should've been filled with joy and excitement. But all I could think of was how I ended up here.

I approached a large mirror, taking in the reflection of myself wearing an intricate red wedding gown. The dress was stunning, with delicate lace detailing and a flowing skirt that seemed to float around me like a crimson cloud. A fitted bodice hugged my curves, accentuating my waist, while the off-the-shoulder sleeves framed my collarbone and drew attention to the dazzling diamond choker around my neck. I looked beautiful, but the sadness in my eyes was undeniable.

I sighed heavily and sank onto a plush sofa, rubbing my temples as I tried to calm the storm of thoughts swirling inside my head. I was supposed to be waiting here until someone called me for the ceremony, but time seemed to crawl by at an agonizing pace.

My mother hadn't been happy about my decision to marry Gabriel and move in with him, so she refused to accompany me to the altar. Not that I cared... or at least that's what I kept telling myself. In reality, her absence stung more than I was willing to admit. My heart still ached from the discovery that Silver, the man I had fallen for, had killed my father. All I wanted now was to get through the ceremony, start a new life, and forget the werewolf who had broken my heart.

As I sat there, lost in thought, memories of my mother's disapproving look haunted me. I could feel the weight of her judgment bearing down on me, but I was determined to push it aside. After all, this was my life – my choice. And I would do whatever it took to move forward and leave the past behind.

A knock on the door startled me from my thoughts, and it creaked open. I stood and turned to see who it was, only to find Adriano standing there, looking incredibly handsome in a tailored suit that accentuated his lean form. However, his expression was dark, and his stormy eyes seemed to carry an ocean of sadness.

"Red, you look beautiful," he said, his voice a melancholy whisper. I nodded at him, managing a soft "thank you" while trying to make sense of his troubled demeanor. Since Gabriel proposed a week ago, Adriano and I hadn't really talked much, and now seeing him like this made my heart ache.

He approached me with a few purposeful strides, his grip firm yet gentle as he took hold of my arms. His gaze pierced into mine, searching for something I couldn't quite grasp. "You don't look happy on your wedding day, Red," he stated bluntly, his voice strained.

I searched for the right words to respond, but they evaded me. Instead, I told him, "You look handsome, and thank you for coming to my wedding." It felt inadequate, but I didn't know what else to say.

Tears shimmered in Adriano's eyes, but he quickly turned away, attempting to hide them from me. When he faced me again, his expression was one of pure agony, as if he were hurting more than I could comprehend. "Don't marry Gabriel, Red," he pleaded, surprising me with his sudden intensity.

"What? Why?" I stammered, my heart pounding in my chest.

"Because I'm in love with you," he confessed, his voice breaking. "But not just because of that; you're doing this for the wrong reasons."

My shock must have been apparent because he gave me the saddest smile I'd ever seen. "Don't act like you don't know, Red," he said softly. "I've been in love with you since we were kids... You were the first person who accepted me and treated me with love. Your grandma and you... you are the world to me."

Suddenly, it all clicked into place; Silver had been right about Adriano's feelings for me. But as much as I cared for him, my love for Adriano was entirely fraternal. I struggled with how to respond, my mind a whirlwind of emotions and thoughts. Luckily for me, he spoke first.

"I know you don't love me that way. I'm not asking you to reciprocate my feelings," Adriano continued, his voice gentle but firm. "But only to be true to yours too..."

"What do you mean?" I asked, my hands shaking slightly.

"Come on, Red, you don't love him," Adriano said, his dark blue eyes filled with concern and affection.

A surge of anger rose inside me, pushing away the sadness and confusion that had been swirling around moments before. I felt cornered, accused, and judged. The last thing I needed was someone else doubting my decisions, especially on my wedding day. My fists clenched at my sides as I snapped back at him, "I know what's best for me, Adriano. You have no right to question my choices."

Adriano shifted uncomfortably and tightened his lips, unable to meet my gaze. He cleared his throat before finally speaking those damning words: “What about Silver?” he asked, pausing for a moment. "I noticed the way you looked at him." My voice was caught somewhere in my throat, lodged in a tight knot of nerves, so I stepped away instead of responding.

Adriano's face twisted in anguish before he spoke, his voice strained. "I didn't ask you any questions because I was afraid of hearing it, but it was clear to anyone who looked at the two of you that there was something between you." He took a step closer to me, his voice soft but insistent. "You can't expect me to believe that you were gone all that time, alone with Silver, and that nothing happened between you. What are you afraid of, Red?"

His words struck a nerve deep within me, and I couldn't suppress the sharp intake of breath or the tremble that ran through my body. Images of Silver flashed through my mind – his intense yellow eyes, his strong arms wrapped around me, his tongue licking the raindrops from my skin. But just as quickly, the memories were replaced by the reality of his betrayal and our impossible situation.

"Adriano, please," I whispered, my voice cracking under the weight of my emotions. "I can't talk about this now, not today."

"Then when, Red?" he asked softly, his eyes searching mine for answers I didn't have.

"Adriano, you don't understand," I choked out, tears streaming down my face. "Today, more than any other day, I needed your support. My own mother won't even come to my wedding, and now you're acting like this?"

He looked as if he was struggling with his own tears, his voice cracking when he finally spoke. "Red, I can't stand by and watch you make the biggest mistake of your life. Gabriel is an arrogant, conceited bastard who only cares about himself. You deserve so much better!"

I stared at him, disbelief and anger mixing inside me. "You have some nerve saying that to me right now. If you really cared about me, you wouldn't be trying to ruin my wedding day."

"Maybe that's what it takes to make you see reason," he said, his eyes filled with desperation. "If you insist on going on with the wedding, then fine – I won't be there."

With those final words, Adriano turned on his heel and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. The sound echoed through the empty space, leaving me feeling even more isolated than before.

As the door shut, I crumbled to the floor, weeping uncontrollably. Why did he have to bring up Silver? Why couldn't he just support me in this decision? What if I wasn't in love with Gabriel...? It didn't matter! Gabriel loved me, and he would make me forget about Silver. Yes, I fell in love with the werewolf who killed my father, but I was determined to forget him, to heal... because we could never be together anyway, and I was tired of hurting.

My heart ached as I thought about the life I was about to embark on without Adriano's support and with the ghost of Silver haunting me. But I couldn't turn back now. This was the path I had chosen, and I had to see it through.

The door to the room opened again, and I quickly hid my face, using the soft fabric of my wedding dress to wipe away the tears. A senior member of the Black Hoods stood there, his expression solemn.

"Red," he said gently. "It's time."

I nodded, swallowing the lump in my throat and straightening up, refusing to let my emotions get the better of me now. With a deep breath, I followed the Black Hood out of the room.

There was no turning back now.

1