Chapter 7: A Vicious Attack
34 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I watched Lancelot, his muscles tense, his confidence radiating despite the blindfold that concealed his eyes. I was certain he would hit the bullseye; his stance was perfect, and his hand steady. But just as he released the arrow, I caught a slight movement in his fingers, almost imperceptible. The arrow flew through the air, missing the bullseye by mere inches.

"Ah!" cried the assembled knights, their disappointment palpable. Lancelot removed his blindfold, revealing his tousled hair and piercing green eyes. A charming smile danced across his lips, causing my insides to melt.

"Oh well, that's a shame," he said, gazing at his arrow with feigned annoyance.

"Indeed," I replied, attempting to keep my voice steady, though my heart fluttered like a caged bird within my chest. "Still, it was a good shot."

Lancelot turned his gaze to me, the intensity of his eyes making my body tingle. His smile widened, and I felt my breath catch in my throat. How was it possible for one man to hold such power over me?

"Here, my Queen," Lancelot said, handing me back my silk belt. "Thank you for letting me use it." His eyes held mine, and I felt the warmth of his gaze like a caress upon my skin.

"Thank you, Sir Lancelot," I replied, accepting my belt. "And truly, you are a skilled archer. Today's events only serve to prove that even the best can have moments of imperfection."

"Your grace is as boundless as your skill with the bow," Lancelot said, passing a hand through his reddish brown hair to tame its unruly strands. The gesture was so simple, yet it made my heart race. I could not help but admire the curve of his arm, the way the muscles flexed beneath his sun-kissed skin.

"Enough chatter," King Arthur called out impatiently. "We have a hunt to attend. Mount up!"

Lancelot strode over to the waiting horses and selected a magnificent white steed for me. My breath caught in my throat at the beauty of the creature, its coat gleaming like fresh snow in the sunlight. He offered me his hand, and I took it gratefully, allowing him to help me onto the horse.

"Thank you," I murmured, feeling the heat rise in my cheeks.

"Always at your service, my Queen," he whispered. Then, raising his own voice to address the knights, he bellowed, "You heard the king! We have a hunt to attend!"

The knights scrambled to obey, each finding their own mount and readying themselves for the journey ahead. Sir Gareth glared at me from atop his horse, obviously still angry about the earlier contest. I met his gaze unflinchingly, refusing to let him see how his anger affected me.

"Let us ride!" King Arthur commanded, and we set off into the forest.

The forest was both eerie and whimsical; its tall trees, ancient and gnarled, seemed to whisper secrets I could not understand. I allowed my horse to follow at a slightly slower pace than the others, keeping my distance from the main group. My eyes were drawn to Lancelot's form as he rode ahead of me, his posture strong and commanding upon his mount.

Noticing my glances, Lancelot slowed his pace until we were riding side by side. The corners of his mouth lifted in a small smile, and I felt my heart leap at the sight. For a moment, we were simply two companions riding together.

The forest around us was alive with the sounds of nature; birdsong filled the air, and the leaves rustled gently in the breeze. Shafts of sunlight pierced the canopy overhead, dappling the ground with golden light. It was a beautiful scene, yet all I could focus on was the man beside me, and the unspoken longing that lay between us.

"Did you miss the bullseye on purpose?" I asked Lancelot, my curiosity getting the better of me.

"Of course not," he replied with feigned innocence, though his eyes twinkled mischievously. "Why would I do such a thing?"

"I saw how you changed the position of your hand at the last moment," I insisted, unable to hide the amusement in my voice.

He smiled at me, his charm making my heart race. "I don't know what you're talking about, my Queen," he said, a teasing tone to his words. "But it's good to know you were paying such close attention to my movements."

"Did you do it to help me?" I asked, searching his eyes for the truth.

Lancelot paused, then grinned. "Oh, you thought I did it for you? Maybe I enjoy seeing Sir Gareth enraged as much as you do."

We both laughed, and I felt a warmth spread through me at our shared amusement. I knew I should be more careful about being so obvious with Lancelot, but Arthur seemed preoccupied with the hunt and paid us little attention.

As we continued riding side by side, Sir Bedivere approached us. He was a big man, slightly older than most of the knights, with a bushy beard that framed his weathered face. His broad shoulders and muscular build spoke of years spent honing his warrior skills.

"Your Majesty," he said, nodding respectfully to me. "You have quite the talent with the bow. It is an impressive skill."

"Thank you, Sir Bedivere," I replied, pleased by his praise.

"We are hunting boar today," he continued, "but we must also be wary of bears in this region. And... well, there are rumours of a unicorn on the loose."

"A unicorn?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Indeed," he nodded, a shadow settling over his eyes.

Unicorns were fierce predators that hunted young, beautiful women. They attacked with lethal precision and showed no mercy. I shuddered at the thought and gave Lancelot a sidelong glance, trying to gauge his reaction. He seemed unfazed, likely already aware of the danger.

"Thank you for the warning, Sir Bedivere," I said sincerely. "I shall be cautious."

With a nod, he spurred his horse forward to rejoin the other knights, gesturing for Lancelot to do the same. As Lancelot followed, I couldn't help but admire his strong form atop his horse once again.

Venturing deeper into the dense forest, the group of knights spread out in search of the elusive boar. I found myself straying slightly from the path, drawn by the sight of a rare plant growing among the thickets. Dismounting my horse, I gingerly approached the delicate belladonna, admiring its beauty. The belladonna was a magical plant, its dark purple flowers often used in potions and charms.

Suddenly, a rustle in the bushes startled me, and my heart raced as a monstrous unicorn emerged from the shadows. Its majestic, sharp horn glinted menacingly in the sunlight, a stark contrast to its twisted features. Its mane was an overgrown mess of knotty vines, and its body was powerfully built, draped with a patchy hide that reeked of rot. I caught sight of its jaws when it opened wide to growl, revealing several rows of razor-sharp teeth.

The creature's eyes, devoid of any warmth or kindness, locked onto me with predatory hunger. Panic took over as I realised that I was alone - the knights too far away to be of any help.

Carefully, I tried to retreat without making a sound, hoping to escape the beast's notice. But it was too late; the unicorn, driven by its ravenous appetite, reared aggressively and lunged towards me. Desperate, I scrambled back onto my horse and urged it to flee at breakneck speed, praying that we could outrun the hideous creature.

My heart pounded in my chest as the unicorn pursued us relentlessly, its terrifying form bearing down on us with alarming speed. Despite my valiant steed's best efforts, the monstrous beast was faster, its horn stabbing through the air like a deadly spear. Suddenly, with a sickening crunch, the unicorn's horn pierced my horse's side, causing it to collapse beneath me. I tumbled to the ground, pain shooting through my leg as I landed awkwardly.

The unicorn stopped to drink greedily from the blood of my fallen horse. Gasping in pain, I attempted to crawl away, but my injured leg refused to cooperate. As the creature finished its gruesome meal, it turned its attention towards me. Desperation clawed at my chest as the unicorn approached, and I knew I had to act quickly if I wanted to survive this encounter.

Panting, I managed to reach for my bow and nock an arrow with shaky hands. Desperation filled my veins as I took aim at the creature's eye. As I released the string, the arrow flew true, striking its target. The unicorn reared back in pain, a guttural scream ripping through the air. But my attack only served to enrage the beast further, its fury now completely focused on me.

The unicorn charged towards me, its horn gleaming menacingly in the sunlight. I took the knife that I had tucked into my boot earlier and, with the blade tightly gripped in my hand, I slashed at the beast, avoiding its horn and its sharp teeth.

Though my efforts were valiant, the unicorn remained relentless, its strength and fury seemingly unmatched. I was cornered and overwhelmed by the powerful creature; the only thing I could do was to resist its attacks until I was too weak to keep going.

0