Ch. 20 – Contemplation
164 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Contemplation

 

Joan sat at the dinner table, arms crossed, tapping her finger on her arm. She was staring at the table, deep in thought, worried about the future. Claire spent all that money purchasing the tavern, but I don't think we have enough to actually renovate it. All we have is what I earned the last few months and what's left of Mac's tournament winnings. Can we just do it ourselves? I can probably do the basics, and Dolly might know a thing or two, but I doubt Claire or Belle will be much help... She looked over at Belle, who was humming to herself while making them some soup for lunch.

Belle had seemed incredibly happy ever since she and Bar had come back from their trip to his parents. Whatever had happened between them (besides the obvious) seemed to have done well for Belle's mood.

The door then opened (there was no knock) and Mio came in, walking over and sitting across from Joan.

“Is lunch ready? I'm gonna get fat off Belle's cooking,” Mio said, noticeably salivating.

Joan shook her head, “You should be knocking when you enter somewhere.”

Mio seemed confused, “But I was invited, wasn't I? And we know each other.”

“Yes, but you're a maid, and this is a noble's room, even if he isn't here right now.”

Mio giggled, “Hehe, you worried I'll drop in on you and Bar going at it?”

Joan smirked, “I don't think Bar would care all that much. No, I'm more worried you'll get the ire of other nobles if you aren't behaving maid-like.”

Belle walked over, holding a large bowl of stew. “Joan, don't be too harsh, she's still a new maid,” she said, before putting the bowl in front of Mio. “Here Mio, eat up!”

Mio started ravenously digging into the soup.

Joan thought she was going a bit too fast, but didn't say anything. Mio had been skin and bones a week ago when they first took her in, and was still really thin, so it was probably for the best. “Thanks Belle,” she said as Belle put another bowl in front of her (not quite filled to the brim like Mio's).

“Are you okay Joan? You've had a dour look on your face all morning,” Belle asked as she went to get her own bowl.

Joan laughed sheepishly. “Haha, sorry, I guess I was just thinking...”

“About Bar?” Belle asked as she sat down.

“No. Well not exactly. I'm wondering about what we need to do going forward. We need to get the restaurant up and running sooner rather than later, so we can start earning money, but we don't have enough money now based on what Claire has garnered,” Joan explained.

“Could we just work some more?” Belle asked.

Joan shrugged, “Where? Mio and I worked at Dolly's, because we basically had no other choices, unless we joined a brothel. And I'm not too fond of that.”

Belle shook her head. “Bar wouldn't be, either.”

“Exactly. So...we have maybe a hundred fifty gold left between all of us. We get a small stipend from Bar's parents every month but that basically just covers our expenses here. And Claire has her salary, but it would take a while to get enough just from that.”

“What about Fran? She's a noble.”

Joan shrugged, “We could ask, but I'm guessing her situation is similar to Bar's.”

“I have some money,” Mio said, dropping her spoon with a clank and leaning back in her chair.

Belle and Joan both looked at her. “Really? How much?”

Mio nodded. “Yes, in my safe. It's mostly in smaller coins, but I think it's about forty gold.”

“Wow!” Belle said excitedly.

Joan grabbed her forehead. “Mio, why are you starving yourself if you have that much saved up?”

Mio blushed a bit, “I have that much because I wasn't eating. I wanted to move away, so I put away money first, then paid rent, then food.”

Joan sighed, “I think you have that in the wrong order.”

“Well, I couldn't save up enough anyway...so I guess if it goes towards a future place for me to live, that's good enough,” she replied, looking down sad.

Belle couldn't stand that, so she leaned over and put Mio in a full hug, smashing Mio's face into her breasts. “You don't need to worry now, Bar will take care of you!”

Mio smiled, “Thanks Belle. Really though, you're taking the most care of me with this soup.”

Belle stood up, grabbing Mio's bowl and going to spoon some more.

Joan rolled her eyes, before going back to her own bowl. At least everyone gets along.

 

At the same time, Bar and Francesca were talking with Gerard at the academy's cafeteria.

“I was thinking, you never did tell me how your trip went,” Gerard asked. “Were Bar's parents approving of you?”

Francesca nodded, “Yes. His mother really liked me. I think his father was more interested in Belle than me, but he seemed fine enough.”

Gerard laughed, “Haha, of course. Well, I'm glad it went well.” He took a drink, paused, then asked, “What about you two?”

Francesca blushed, while Bar raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean? We're fine.”

Gerard smirked, “You know what I mean...”

Francesca blushed even deeper.

“Err...” Bar said, looking at Francesca.

Gerard started laughing, “Haha, that reaction is all the answer I need.” He took another drink. “Really, though, I'm happy for you both. Aren't your dinner's getting a bit crowded, though?”

Bar, deciding just to roll with it, shrugged, “A bit. Might need to get a bigger room.”

Gerard laughed even more. “Haha, you can always get an apartment in town if you need one.”

Bar smiled wryly. If only we could afford that.

 

Dolly was currently munching on a piece of bread as she walked around Academy Town. She had been going to different craftsmen and (at Claire's direction) inquiring about the cost of renovating her tavern.

Turning her old, worn-down tavern into a new, sleek restaurant would be pricey, she was gathering.

The lowest quote she had gotten was four-hundred gold, double what their worst-case price was. We can't all be relying on just Claire's salary, all... she stopped for a moment, counting on her hands. All eight of us. We need something to fall back on. Dolly only had a minimum amount of money saved up, and Claire had used a large chunk of hers to buy out the tavern, so their collective savings wasn't huge.

She sighed and finished off the bread as she walked into the next craftsman's store. I guess we'll see what happens.

 

Claire was sitting in her office, eating some crackers. She was always busy with work during lunch (since she pushed off evening work to spend time with Bar and the others) so she always just grabbed something quick she could eat while reading or writing.

Right now, she was going through her mail. As the Dorm Mistress, it was usually just letters from nobles wanting to make sure their sons or daughters weren't sneaking out at night to meet with others.

Since Claire was doing this herself the past few months, she hadn't caught many, and she also knew that many of the academy students were sneaking out.

Not that she was going to report anything to their parents. Especially when she didn't even know who they all were.

As she was rifling through them, she did a double-take as she noticed the seal of House Savoie on one of them. What!? But none of my nieces or nephews are old enough for academy yet. She set down the others, and opened the letter:

 

Claire,

 

We have arranged a marriage between you and Lord Lumbault. It will be taking place in a month's time. He already said he wants children, so leave that ridiculous job of yours and come home immediately to prepare.

 

This will be a good alliance for House Savoie. Do not mess it up.

 

Your mother,

Lady Savoie

 

Claire blinked several times at the letter, before she got red in anger. Lord Lumbault!? He's older than Father! And why should I give a shit about what's good for the House! You never did for me... Her arms were shaking slightly. She went to rip the letter in half, but sighed and set it down, gaining control of her emotions. No, no, just think... As she tried to think about the situation calmly, all she could think of was Bar. Sexy Bar, wrapping his arms around her, kissing her tenderly...

'Knock knock.'

Claire jumped out of her chair in fright. “Ahh...come in, come in...” she said as she shuffled the letters around, hiding the one from her mother.

The door opened, and Miss Renee came in. Seeing Claire shuffling around, face red, Miss Renee smirked, “Bad time?”

Claire blushed but shook her head. “No, it's fine.”

Miss Renee nodded, then closed the door and sat down.

Claire was a bit confused. What does she want? This is a bad time, too... She was on good terms with Miss Renee, but they weren't exactly close. More just friendly colleagues.

Miss Renee looked to the closed door, than lowered her voice. “I've been meaning to ask you, but the scuttlebutt is, you're having a fling with one or more students. Is that true?”

Claire blushed even more than she was, That even got to the teachers!? And wait, one or more students!? I'm not cheating on Bar!

Miss Renee giggled seeing Claire's reaction. “So, it's true?”

If I just flat out deny it, she won't believe me. Claire decided to figured out what she was after. “What if it was?”

Claire felt okay responding like this, because Miss Renee had a reputation. Actually, two reputations. The first was, she churned through men like butter. A woman as attractive as her (she had long, red-brown hair, currently in a ponytail, glasses befitting an academy teacher, and a huge chest that was larger than even Dolly's), who was still single at thirty, was bound to get one.

The second reputation may have fed off the first. That being, she was 'easy'. Of course, Claire didn't think that was necessarily true. Just if someone as sexy as Miss Renee wanted a man, she was more than likely to get that man, unless they had a strong conviction.

Miss Renee had no intentions of not living up to her reputation today. “Well, maybe I'm interested...” Miss Renee said with a giggle.

Claire was filled with dread. No! If she gets her hands on Bar, I'll be done for! He'll leave me and I'll be stuck with Lord Lumbault! “Err...”

Miss Renee leaned in, “Come on, share the fun! None of the men on staff will even look at me anymore...” she said, her mood shifting to a bit melancholic. “If you found a student into older woman...”

Claire squirmed in her chair. I don't think most students will care if you're older, but... as much as she didn't like the conversation, she couldn't really fault Miss Renee. Sex with Bar was the most enjoyable part of her life. Actually, the second most, behind cuddling in bed with Bar after sex.

How do I get her off my tail, though... “Um, it's not that I'd mind but he's...very particular. I'll talk with him and see if he's interested.”

Miss Renee's mood perked right back up. “Thank you! Thank you Claire!” she said, leaning over and hugging Claire.

Claire was suffocating while being squeezed into Miss Renee's chest, gasping when she let go of her.

“I'll come back tomorrow to see what he says!” she exclaimed, leaving as quickly as she'd came.

Claire sighed, Now what...

 

Discussions over Dinner

 

That night, the eight of them sat in Mac's dining room. To squeeze all of them in, they had had to move the beds to the wall and were also using the tea table and a side table in order to fit everyone.

“Maybe we should buy a new table?” Francesca asked, as Becky pulled out a chair for her.

“Well, we're trying to save money...” Joan reminded her.

Belle and Becky had finished making roasted chicken, while Joan had made some bread, and Mio had sliced some cucumbers. After all getting their food and sitting down, they started discussing their days.

“Any luck finding a cheap craftsman?” Joan asked of Dolly.

Dolly gave a weak smile and shook her head. “Ah...sorry, no. They all are so expensive, people must not get ren-uh-vations often.”

Francesca shook her head. “It wasn't uncommon for us to renovate rooms at our estate, but I assume that's not the same for commoners.”

Dolly sighed, “Must not...”

Joan tried to reassure her. “Don't worry, I'll help you look tomorrow. I get anxious just sitting in here all day, anyways.”

Bar noticed Claire seemed to be staring into her food, barely eating, and not partaking in the conversation, even though she was normally chiming in on everything. “Are you okay?”

Claire took a few moments to register Bar had talked to her. “Ah...yeah, sorry, sorry...”

Bar sighed, “That's not convincing at all...”

Claire blushed, “Sorry, I...”

Everyone turned to look at her, causing Claire to blush more and look down again.

Belle put a hand on Claire shoulders, “Whatever you wanna say, we're all here for you Claire.”

Claire smiled, “Thanks, I...” she then explained the situation with Miss Renee at lunch.

After she finished, everyone was staring at Bar. When he noticed, he was taken aback, “What!? I didn't do anything!”

Claire nodded, “I know, it's not your fault. She doesn't even know it's you, just that's its a student.”

Francesca put a finger to her chin. “That will make homeroom and language class a bit awkward...”

Claire put her hand to her forehead, “I forgot you had her for a class...”

Belle asked, “Is she pretty? Should we invite her in?”

Joan looked at her, “You really want another woman?”

Belle blushed, “Everyone else Bar has gotten is nice.”

Becky patted her on the head. “You just don't know Francesca well enough yet.”

Francesca threw a piece of bread at Becky, hitting her in the forehead. “Could we just...introduce her to a different man? If she is just looking for some brief companionship, I'm sure we could find some lustful male student to fit the bill.”

Claire shook her head, “I don't know any other male students well enough to ask. It's not like I can walk up to one randomly and be like 'hey, Miss Renee is lonely and looking for some someone to keep her company'.”

Bar leaned his head sideways, Well, you might be able to...but I'm not going to say that...

“Plus, even if I could, they would need to play along with having sex with me, and...”

“Maybe Bar doesn't want too, but...couldn't we just let her have a go? Get it out of her system?” Dolly chimed in from the end of the table.

Everyone turned to look at her.

“No,” Claire flatly refused.

Dolly scratched her cheek. “I know how you feel, but we all sleep with Bar, so-”

Claire shook her head. “It's not that. You haven't seen Renee. Her body is what men dream of. If Bar has sex with her, he'll never be happy with me again.”

Bar frowned, “What...what do you mean? Sure she's attractive, but why would I not be happy with you?”

Claire, however, kept going, murmuring “And I'll have to go be that old geezer Lumbault's plaything, popping out ugly children.”

“What are you even talking about?” Bar asked now.

Claire took out the letter from her mother, slapping it on the table. “My family selling me off to some old fool to try and win his estate when he dies...” she rambled on.

Bar read it, not sure exactly how to process it. “What is...”

Joan took the letter, reading it as well.

Claire started crying, so Bar got up and hugged her, while the rest of the table looked on concerned.

“Bar...I'm sorry....I can't...” she mumbled into his chest.

Belle also got up, and she and Bar led Claire to the bedroom.

 

Inside, Belle wiped Claire's face, since her makeup was getting smeared from the crying. After finishing and sitting her on the bed, she stopped crying, just clutching onto Bar and sniffling.

Belle seemed nervous, then whispered to Bar, “I'll leave you two alone for now.”

After a few minutes of quiet (besides the sniffling) Claire murmured. “I'm sorry...”

Bar shook his head, “What are you sorry for? You didn't-”

Claire lightly slapped her fists on his chest. “I did! I'm sorry I said you wouldn't be happy with me. I...I just...”

Bar kissed Claire, holding her close. “Apology accepted. You know I find you beautiful. Even if I did have sex with her, I wouldn't be tired of you,” he explained, gently caressing her cheek.

Claire blushed, “I know, I know...”

Bar continued, “I'm more worried about that letter, though...”

Claire's face scrunched up, as if in pain. “I....I can't lose you...not after how happy you've made me...”

Bar held her closely again. “Me too. I can't lose my reliable Dorm Mistress.”

Claire giggled. “You all would be lost without me.”

Mac nodded, “I know you've been working hard. You just need to relax for a bit.”

Claire shook her head. “I can't relax. Not yet, at least.”

Bar made a pained expression. “You can...you can at least rely on all of us. You don't have to worry about everything alone.”

Claire smiled, “You're right. I shouldn't shoulder everything myself.”

They went to leave, although Claire snagged a kiss from him before they went back to the living area.

 

As they walked out, everyone mobbed Claire, making sure she was okay.

Claire blushed at the attention, before explaining the situation to everyone regarding her family.

Francesca sighed, “I feel so lucky my parents set me up with Bar...”

“Can't you just tell your mom to screw off?” Mio said.

Claire giggled softly. “I wish. My parents can basically force me too. I'd have to renounce my noble status. Actually, even then it probably wouldn't work, since my family is doing this after having half-disowned me.”

“What if you mention Bar? They really gonna marry you off if you're with another man?” Dolly asked.

Claire gave a 'hmpf'. “You're too innocent, Dolly. They couldn't care less about that.”

Dolly blushed, “First time someone ever called me 'innocent'...”

Everyone sat in silence for a moment.

“There is...one way you could potentially scuttle the engagement,” Becky said.

Everyone looked at her.

“Have Bar get you pregnant. Most nobleman won't be happy with a non-virgin, especially one that is already pregnant to boot.”

Francesca nodded, “That is true.”

Becky looked at her, “I was thinking of you when I got the idea.”

Francesca threw another piece of bread out at her forehead.

Claire smiled awkwardly, “You're right, but...we already talked about this We at least need a house first...”

Joan chimed in, “What if...what if you just said you're pregnant? But you weren't actually?”

Claire rocked her head back and forth. “Maybe...”

Bar replied, “But...doesn't that have a time-limit problem? If we say she's pregnant, eventually they'll realize...”

Claire shook her head, holding out her hands. “My parents don't visit me. If I say I'm pregnant, they might just strike me from the family roll for real, and never think of me again.”

Mio took a sip, shaking her head, “Nobles...uh, current company excluded,” she said, looking around.

Francesca shook her head. “No, you're right. If I had never met Bar, I might have ended up like that in the future...”

Everyone thought in silence for a moment, before Claire nodded. “Okay, I'm just going to tell my parents I refuse. No pregnancy, no mentioning Bar, just flat-out refusing.”

“What about Miss Renee?” Bar asked. “I need to know if I should avoid eye contact in class. Or just skip class all together.”

Claire looked around. “I don't know Renee well enough to know what she'd do. She might try to get me fired, she might blab to Bar's parents if she finds out who the guy is. Or she might just give up. I don't know if we want to risk it, though.”

Everyone nodded in agreement.

Claire continued, “Let's vote. Raise your hand if you think we should introduce Bar to her to try and resolve the situation.”

Bar was taken aback. “What!? Don't I get a say in this?”

Claire raised an eyebrow. “Yes, you can vote too.”

Bar sighed, not raising his hand.

Claire, Dolly, Belle, and Becky all raised their hands.

Mio looked at Becky, “We get to vote!?”

Becky shrugged, “We have to deal with the consequences too.”

Mio nodded. “That's true. I'm voting no, though.”

Claire nodded, counting the votes. “This is awkward...I guess we need to try and convince the other side. Why did you all say yes? I did just because I don't want to risk Renee talking.”

Belle nodded, “I just think she sounds great. A woman who knows what she wants.”

Dolly added, “I figured it would be hypa-critical if I said no.”

Becky shrugged, “I just think trusting Bar to solve the problem is the best solution.”

Bar sighed, “You think that lowly of me?”

Becky seemed confused. “No? Like I said, I trust you to solve the problem.”

Bar wasn't sure how to respond.

Claire looked at the others. “For those who said no...”

Francesca went first, “I don't like getting involved with more nobles. I know Miss Renee is from a small house but I still think she has a higher chance of blowing up our plans than more maids or tavern girls.”

Joan nodded, “I don't want to risk more woman joining right now, regardless of noble status. Bar has a habit of taking in every girl he has sex with.”

Mio added, “I just think forcing someone to have sex is wrong.”

Bar nodded. Then raised his hand.

Everyone looked at him.

“Why are you changing your vote?” Joan asked. “You seemed like you didn't want too.”

Bar shook his head. “I don't, really. But after thinking it over, I came up with a plan.”

Everyone waited on him to explain.

“Well...are you going to explain it?” Francesca asked.

Bar blushed, “Now it sounds dumb...”

Claire shook her head. “Even if it is, just tell us.”

Bar looked down. “What if...what if I charged her?”

Nobody said anything.

The silence was deafening, so Bar started, “See, I-”

Claire slapped the table, standing up, “That's a great idea! I can just tell her you charge money. If she says no, then we're off the hook. If she says yes, we can get some extra money to put towards renovations.” She looked to the no-voters.

Mio nodded. “Nothing wrong with that.”

Francesca also nodded. “I guess that's fine. I suspect she will say no, but if it's helping us out, that's a bonus.”

Joan bit her lip. “I still don't like the idea...”

Bar put a hand on hers. “If you really don't want me too, I won't.”

Joan blushed a bit. “Just...just promise me you'll keep studying. Even if we get the money, if the rest of the plan falls apart, we'll still be in trouble.”

Bar smiled, hugging her. “Of course.”

 

Joan was still emotional when they went to bed later. Bar went to kiss her, but Joan didn't seem into it.

“What's wrong? Did you change your mind?” Bar asked.

Joan shook her head. “It's not that. I just...so many women are around you now, and they're all amazing...except me.”

Bar was taken aback. “What!? What do you mean? You're just as amazing as them.”

Joan blushed. “Are you sure? I feel plain compared to them. Claire is so smart, Francesca is pretty, Dolly...has really large breasts. And Belle looks like a goddess, especially with how happy she's been lately.”

Bar was upset. “Wh...what do you mean? You're just as great as them. I mean, nothing you said is wrong, but...Joan, I love you. You're the first person I ever truly loved, and I will love you forever.”

Joan looked down embarrassed. “I...I just...”

Bar gently grabbed her arms, pulling her in for a tender kiss. “I...I want to tell you not to worry, but I know that won't just make you stop. So, I'll prove my love as much as you need me too.”

Joan teared up a bit, before grabbing Bar's shirt and pulling it off.

Bar undid her pajamas, revealing her bright blue lingerie underneath.

“These are you favorite, right?”

Bar blushed, “Anything you wear is great...I do really like those, though.”

Joan giggled, pulling Bar's face in between her breasts.

Bar reached around, unhooking her bra so he could delicately lick her nipples.

Joan moaned softly, reaching down and grabbing Bar's member through his pants. She then pushed him down, pulling off his pants, causing his shaft to flick out straight. Taking off her own undergarment, she slid onto Bar.

“Joan...you're really aggressive...” Bar got out as Joan kept sliding up and down.

Joan panted a bit, “Yes...I need you Bar...”

Bar grabbed her breasts as they flopped up and down, causing Joan to smile and push herself faster.

“Are you almost there?” Joan asked.

Bar nodded, grabbing her waist. He pushed up into her as she pushed down, causing him to release into her deepest parts.

After a deep breath, Joan slowly fell onto Bar, her breasts cushioning her fall. “I love you so much Bar...”

Bar chuckled, “I love you too,” and pulled her up in a tight embrace.

They went three more times, until both were so tired, they fell asleep spooning together on top of the covers.

3