001 The Arrival of a Baby (1)
87 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Drip, drip, drip.

The rain pelted relentlessly against the windows of the Tonelico mansion. Within its walls, the occupants sheltered from the stormy night. None expected the knocks that soon sounded at the front door, nor what they would reveal.

Marcos, patriarch of the Tonelico clan, opened the door to find a hooded woman clutching a wailing infant. Before he could utter a word, she thrust the baby into his arms. "Please, care for him." she begged through her own sobs, then ran into the night.

Marcos reached out instinctively, but she was gone. He looked to the now-silent baby in his arms, shivering in the cold. The baby was small and fragile, his face red from crying and his tiny fingers curled around Marcos's thumb. His sons Damian and Favian peered over their father's shoulder, their curiosity piqued. They were confused by the child with jet-black hair and eyes, unlike any Tonelico.

"Why is that baby in your arms?" Favian asked, his brow furrowed.

"That's what I'd like to know," Marcos replied, cradling the baby close. "But for now, we must care for him. What do you think we should name him?"

Favian eagerly suggested a few names, all of which were common names like Philip, William, and Arthur, but Marcos found all of those too common. Then, an idea struck him.

"How about Fenris?" he suggested. "It means 'wolf', and he does have a bit of a wild look to him, doesn't he?"

Favian liked the name, as it seemed like it perfectly fitted this baby. Damian was indifferent, but what he was curious about was how this baby got here in the first place. He opened his mouth as if to say what he wanted to say but was interrupted when the baby started wailing again.

"Quick! Let's get him inside, he's shivering." Marcos said in a haste, as he rushed inside and shut the door behind him.

When they got inside, the newborn Fenris was wrapped in a blanket. He started to calm down afterwards, feeling a sense of warmth and security inside the Tonelico household.

"What a strange child," Favian muttered, analyzing the child's dark hair and eyes, which were unlike any Tonelico family member. Despite his own personal tastes, he gave a light smile when the child looked back at him.

Damian, on the other hand, was quick to suspect that the child was born out of wedlock because the genetics were staring at him in the face; it was not like any other Tonelico member he knew. Damian quickly began to resent Fenris ever since he was brought into the Tonelico mansion as a baby, as he was a living reminder of infidelity within the Tonelico family.

Nonetheless, with both of his son's approval, Marcos formally adopted Fenris as one of his own; despite his exotic characteristics. Fenris grew up with a very loving father, two older brothers (Favian being the oldest), and a mother who loved her husband very much, but disliked Fenris similarly to Damian due to him being born as a bastard.

2 years after Fenris was brought into the Tonelico household, Marcos's wife, Maria became pregnant with his third child who was a girl. She was named Lilianna and was loved deeply by the family. Lilianna grew up as a heavily pampered child, with her mother especially spoiling her as if she were like a precious gem to her.

The Tonelico household appeared to be peaceful for a few years, with Fenris living a relatively normal life for a noble child. However, by the age of 4, he had come to realize some of the hard truths of his life situation.

For starters, while his adoptive father and young sister loved him unconditionally, his mother, Maria resented him for being a living reminder of infidelity and impurity within the Tonelico household. Maria was a very loving mother, but she came from a rich noble family who believed in strict family purity and eugenics, valuing bloodlines and genetics above all else. She could not accept the idea of having a child who did not share the Tonelico family's physical traits.

Damian, on the other hand, was much like his mother. Engrossed in the luxuries of being a noble child, he quickly became rotten and arrogant as he got older. Towards those of "lesser value" to him, he treated horribly. He viewed Fenris as "sub-human" due to his different characteristics from his siblings, like a taint in the racial purity of the Tonelico family.

As a result, Damian often bullied and teased Fenris for being a wedlock child, which heavily strained relations between the two and hurt Fenris' feelings a lot. Over time, however, Fenris began to accept the mistreatment and learned how to ignore it.

His elder brother Favian was fond of Fenris, in contrast to his younger brother, but as the eldest child and heir of the family, there were heavy pressures and expectations to fulfill.

Not wanting to disappoint either one of his parents, particularly his mother, Favian could not interact with Fenris in the way he wanted to except for private conversations. And, to make matters worse, because of his duties as heir and him being groomed as the future head of the family, he often wasn't around while Fenris was being bullied by his elder brother Damian. This was a fact he would curse himself over for years.

Aside from his adoptive father and younger sister, Fenris received little love or acceptance from his family. His mother and elder brother Damian viewed him with hostility due to his physical differences, while his elder brother Favian struggled to bond with him due to the expectations placed on him as the family heir.

Every chance he got, Fenris would spend hours poring over books in the Tonelico mansion's library, focusing primarily on works related to magic and history. He practiced his spells in secret, determined to perfect his craft and prove his worth as a mage.

There were many servants in the Tonelico mansion which served various jobs, such as cleaning, maintenance, cooking, and serving the guests and family members. They were residents of the household but were not treated as equals.

In addition to his studies, Fenris also found solace in the Tonelico household's servants. He could relate to their situation, as he was often treated similarly to them by his family due to his status as a wedlock child. Fenris would help out the servants in any way he could, whether it be cleaning, cooking, yard work, or any other task that needed to be done.

Fenris's hard work and dedication paid off, and he quickly became a valuable member of the household despite his young age. By the age of 7, Fenris had developed considerable skills for his age in magic, impressing those around him with his natural talent and work ethic.

Fenris could relate to their situation because he was treated similarly to them, and eventually he found solace in the servants as he began to bond with them and see them as family.

Despite the mistreatment he faced from his family, Fenris's self-education and hard work allowed him to find a sense of purpose and belonging within the Tonelico household.

The Tonelico family had a long history of producing powerful mages, and as such, magical ability was highly valued in their household. They believed in giving all children an equal opportunity to develop their magical potential, regardless of their status as legitimate or illegitimate. As a result, all Tonelico children were tested for magical aptitude at a certain age, with the most talented students receiving the best education and training.

While Fenris was an illegitimate child, his natural talent for magic had not gone unnoticed. The Tonelico family eagerly awaited his test, hoping that his natural talent would translate into impressive results. If he passed with flying colors, he would be given the best education and training that money could buy and would be poised to continue the Tonelico family legacy of producing powerful mages.

Fenris was both excited and nervous about his magic aptitude test. He had grown up with low expectations due to his illegitimate status, but he had always felt a spark of pride as a Tonelico. He had been studying magic in secret for years, knowing that he had a natural talent for it, and he was determined to prove himself to the Tonelico family.

The underground library of the Tonelico mansion was a vast and sprawling complex, with towering bookshelves filled with books on every subject imaginable, including magic, history, mathematics, science, geography, and the arts. The shelves were accompanied by rows of tables and reading nooks that were illuminated by a soft glow emanating from crystal chandeliers that hung from the ceiling, casting dancing shadows across the shelves and tables.

The chandeliers were made of a rare and powerful crystal called "luminite crystals," which enhanced the magical energy within the library and made it a more potent place for spellcasting. At the center of the library was a large circular chamber, surrounded by towering pillars made of the same mana crystals as the chandeliers; each pillar represented a different element of magic and glowed with a soft light that pulsed in time with the magic that flowed through them.

It was in this chamber that Fenris stood, at the center of a magic circle inscribed with ancient runes and symbols, which glowed with a faint blue light as Fenris channeled his magical power. The library was a place of great power and knowledge, and the Tonelico family had long used it as a location for magical testing and experimentation.

Suddenly, all of the crystals in the chamber began to light up, each one representing a different element of magic: red for Fire, blue for Water, green for Earth, light blue for Wind, gold for Light, and purple for Dark. The crystals shone brightly, illuminating the entire chamber and signaling that Fenris had a strong affinity for all six elements of magic.

As Fenris completed the mana aptitude test, the Tonelico family members who had been watching--Marcos, Favian, and Damian--exchanged stunned looks. Marcos and Favian were impressed by Fenris's raw magical power and natural aptitude for all six elements, but Damian was less than impressed.

"Hmph, I bet I could do better than that," Damian said dismissively, crossing his arms and scowling. "What's so special about being good at all six elements anyway? It just shows a lack of focus and dedication. I'm sure I could specialize in just one and be even more powerful than this half-blooded upstart."

Marcos and Favian exchanged a worried glance, knowing better than to engage Damian when he was in one of his moods. They knew that Damian's arrogant and spoiled personality often got the better of him, and that he had a superiority complex when it came to magic. But deep down, they shared their brother's sense of awe and surprise at Fenris's abilities.

Despite Damian's dismissive attitude, Marcos and Favian recognized the significance of Fenris's natural aptitude for all six elements. It was a rare and remarkable feat, one that only a handful of mages had ever achieved. They were excited to see what Fenris would accomplish with his prodigious talent, and they hoped that Damian would come to appreciate his brother's abilities as well.

As Damian stormed out of the library, Marcos and Favian turned to Fenris with faces full of amazement. Despite the circumstances of his birth, Marcos had never felt prouder of his son.

"Wow, Fenris," Favian said, grinning from ear to ear. "You really are a prodigy, aren't you? I can't believe you have such a natural aptitude for all six elements."

Marcos nodded in agreement, a look of pride and admiration on his face. "You've truly surpassed our expectations, my son. We knew you had a gift for magic, but this...this is truly remarkable."

Fenris smiled humbly, feeling a sense of validation and pride from his father's words. "Thank you, Father. I'm just grateful for the opportunity to show what I'm capable of."

"I have no doubt that you will continue to impress us, Fenris," Marcos said, placing a hand on his son's shoulder. "Your talent and determination are truly remarkable."

Favian nodded in agreement. "And don't let Damian's attitude get you down. He may be spoiled and arrogant, but he's just jealous of your abilities."

Fenris nodded, feeling a sense of relief and gratitude for his family's support. He knew that he had a long road ahead of him, but with his family's encouragement and his own natural talent, he felt confident that he could accomplish anything.

As Fenris basked in the praise of his family, Marcos placed a hand on his son's shoulder and looked him in the eye.

"Fenris," he said, his voice firm and determined, "I want you to know that I'm going to do everything in my power to help you reach your full potential. You have a rare and remarkable talent, and it's my duty as your father to ensure that you receive the best education and training possible."

Fenris felt a surge of gratitude and admiration for his father. Despite the circumstances of his birth, Marcos had always been there for him, supporting him and encouraging him to pursue his dreams.

"Thank you, Father," he said, his voice filled with emotion. "I don't know what to say."

Marcos smiled, a look of pride and affection on his face. "Don't say anything, my son. Just know that I believe in you, and I'll do everything in my power to help you succeed. I'll find you the best magic tutor that money can buy, and I'll make sure that you have every opportunity to hone your skills and become the greatest mage that the world has ever seen."

Fenris felt a surge of determination and excitement at his father's words. With Marcos's support and guidance, he knew that he could achieve anything. He looked forward to the challenges and opportunities that lay ahead, eager to prove himself and make his family proud.

2