Chapter 14: Deciding on a weapon!
174 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What? You think now you have the chance at her?"

Anthony crossed his arms and said with a smirk.

"But if you really want to, I can teach you the way of the woman, remember my masterclass lesson is still open"

Anthony added with a knowing smile.

Dean rolled his eyes hearing this, he knew this guys was actually pretty good with woman. 

But wooing her wasn't on his mind.

'At this point, Guns, at least the standard ones, have almost little to no effect on some wolf monsters and more so for tiger-level monsters. I could try to buy a single-hand gun that packed a lot of punch, but it'll cost a lot. Same for customized guns.'

Dean remembers how the machete was more useful in fighting the tiger-class monster than his pistol. So the idea that he had thought before surfaced again.

'Maybe I should learn the art of the blade? Frankly I don’t think my fist can do enough to fight a monster unless I have both great technique and strength, which I don’t. Compared to fists, A blade is much more lethal and is suited to killing monsters. Besides, If I remember correctly, in the past, her father had opened a dojo teaching the basics of swordplay. However, they should have closed down when I entered college. Still..'

He heard from others that their dojo opened again but with Riena as the master. Seeing as she won several golds in competitions, she was qualified to do so. Besides, dojos like that aren't particularly strict, and one doesn't need to live there and be within the master's reach at all times. He could try to learn sword art on the weekends while fighting monsters on the weekdays.

‘If I could learn the art from her, I wouldn't have to worry about running out of bullets, plus, with regards to my hero identity, it'll make me unique.’

Dean knew, or at least what Satoru told him, that uniqueness and specialness played an important part in hero assessment. People want someone who is dashing, not some normal-looking guy wearing a normal-looking outfit to place their hope on….Unless you completely destroy the fitness test…

So with that decided,

"I'll see you later," he said to Anthony, who shook his head with a smile, misunderstanding his intentions as he chased after her.

"Hey, uh, Reina," he called, but the people beside her were the first to turn around.

Facing them, Dean felt like he was facing a bunch of fans upset that he interrupted their time with their idol.

Dean ignored their looks and gazed at Reina, who turned around and met him in the eyes.

"Dean? I heard rumors you decided to drop out of the university to become a hero...."

Her voice was cold but soft, and she spoke slowly as she narrowed her eyes, seeing the bruises on his face.

Dean smiled wryly and said, "Yeah, I did. Anyway, I wanted to ask if I could join your dojo.”

Reina answered him calmly and politely: "I'm sorry, but the dojo no longer accepts male applications."

“Oh, is that so?" For some reason, he wasn't surprised; he was sure that more than half the reason the man joined her dojo was to woe her. She probably had enough.

Just as Reina was about to get on her way, Dean said, "Does your father still accept students?"

Dean still has a quite an impression of her father; one time, when he was a child, he saw him fighting a monster with a katana and easily killing it.

Even now, he is still impressed by it. 

Hearing this, a very small unnoticeable frown appeared on Reina's face, as she responded///

"My father no longer accepts students; I'll excuse myself; I have somewhere to go." With that, she went on her way as Dean felt the gazes of her clubs look at him and giggled.

Dean smiled wryly seeing that, he knew they misunderstood his intentions. He shook his head and went on his way too. He wasn't dejected after hearing what she said.

‘I should try a sword first and see how it goes.’

The thought of holding a medieval sword in his hands excited the geek inside him. As for why it wasn't a katana or the like, He was just more of a fan of a double edge sword like a broadsword or a long sword than a samurai's katana.


"I'm sorry. How much?"

"250,000 yen; in addition to the customized scabbard, it'll be 265,000 in total."

Dean crossed his arms as he closed his eyes and pondered what he had just heard. Currently, he was inside what felt like a giant garage or a small factory.

He was inside the TopForge workshop. It was a company that specialized in a variety of practices like reinforcing buildings from monster attacks or plating and upgrading vehicles, and they take commissions from anyone, and making and forging a sword is one of them. Recently, monster sightings and activity was increasing so their business was blooming too.

Dean used to see videos of them on the internet. And one of them was making a really sturdy and fine sword made of some special alloy that managed to slice a 0.5cm steel plate easily. Of course, it was a buff-up dude that swung the sword; otherwise, even with how sharp the sword is, as long as the wielder is weak, it can't cut steel.

There were other workshops in the city, but this was the only one where a supposed top mechanical and material engineer was supposedly working.

"Our reputation is good, and we got certification to prove our skills. I think the price is actually pretty cheap."

A middle-aged man with graying hair and a shirt stained with oil said to him:

‘265,000, now with the zeroes in my bank account, it shouldn’t be a problem. The problem is that I currently have no source of income, and what's more, I’m about to be lifted from my special privileges and charged with rent soon. In addition, I still need to buy more stuff for my future hero costume’

‘Besides, in the future I might order stronger swords…’

However, after a few moments, he shook his head and thought, ‘What the hell, it's just money, and I still have plenty; I'll figure stuff out later'.

“Alright, Deal."

"Excellent. Come and we'll finish the details."

They headed into what seemed like an office, and Dean sat at the guest chair while the man sat behind the desk. Where they discussed what kind of sword he wanted and the custom scabbard he commissioned.

Only two chapters for the week as I am a bit tired from my side-hustle. Support me here at: https://ko-fi.com/nolifenoname To get me motivated and write more!

Comment for any mistakes in spelling or grammar. Thank you!

11