For The Drop Of Blood Ch.4
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

SUNSET AT THE DEVIL SPRINGS

 
“What the hell am I looking at.” Sidney was leaning against the counter looking not particularly perturbed by my reaction while he telekinetically juggled several different scissors and a razor “Well, considering what I had to start with I'd say minor miracle. There were...” he pushed with his small foot remains of my hair on the floor “...two, no three dead hornets in that nest you called hair. Hornets Hákon, they are the size of my forefinger. How in the name of Nine Hells and River Styx one doesn't notice something so large fighting to escape?” I shrugged “By being black-out drunk, by being stranded in the desert hours of dying from dehydration, by being in a shootout that doesn't go your way, keeping them there like an emergency snack, insects are an excellent source of protein.”
 
Halfling raised  his hands “Fine, fine, sorry for destroying your food reserves, any complaints that approach being valid?” I pointed at my head “I came for the haircut and a shave. How the hell hair is longer than has been and, why do I still have a beard?” Sidney patiently nodded like talking to a child “First, actual correct complaint. I'm experimenting a bit with traditional styles like Mutton Chops Beards, Goatees, and Horseshoe Moustache. I wanted something with elements from all but smaller and easier to maintain, your facial structure lends itself well to the style I was going for. Inspired by the overwhelming stench of gunpowder that you brought...” “It was self-defense.” I cut in “I couldn't care less, I christened it Gunslinger Beard and Moustache, a rough mix of a Horseshoe and Goatie for the mustache part then flare it into Muttonchop but keeping the width to the minimum, almost like a Chinstrap but wider for about a half thumb. Of course, to completely separate it from it I kept everything between the end of a mustache clean-shaven. I think it looks pretty good on you, but if you want it gone it's a few-minute job.” I glanced at the mirror, he was kinda right. At least to the point that I didn't hate it.
 
“Ok, but hair...” He lifted his palm in a theatrical manner. “Say no more. What I'll disclose next is a secret of barbers given from the master to the student for ages. Some would call it the ultimate technique that we had to devise a special tool just for yours. Behold...” he reached into his front pocket and drew something with such flourish that many wand users or even fencers would envy the elegance of his movements. In front of my nose stood proudly raised high...a common comb, one that saw some use too. He first slapped me on the nose with it then tucked it into my front pocket “On the house you lumox. Try to bloody use it at least a few times a week.”
 
Sidney sighs walking to the couch intended for customers, but once he realized I will take a while he flipped the sign to *Closed* “Seriously Hákon if you don't give a flying fuck about your hair why do you just don't keep it real short?” I didn't have a real answer, not singular at least. “I have two nasty scars up top you saw them probably?” He nodded “And they are not of a cool-looking kind since I was far from any settlements when I got them. When they are visible I found that amount of bar fights basically doubles. I don't really care how they look, but it's not a hill worth dying on. If having a nest of hair will allow me to have a drink in peace I'm willing to sacrifice a few hornets. But keeping luscious locks is a time I don't have so we end up with what I walked in with.” He nodded. Sidney sometimes played that act of this exasperated artist among savages, but his past was shadier than mine. From time to time I'd catch a glimpse of a faded Wanted poster with a picture of very young Sidney, not in just one state, but Arizona, Texas, Louisiana...maybe a few more. He knew when to act and poke, but also knew when to be himself.
 
He looked at me “If you keep like that you will eventually start losing hair whether you wanted or not, I cut just frayed tips that basically were on the verge of becoming self-aware and maybe thumb more to be sure all is healthy. Also, I used Aether to fix the microcracks and reinvigorate follicles. You don't have to be dandy, look at the indigenous population. Wash it in the hotel with soap or whatever they have at least once a week. Now it's shoulder length, take that as the base measure when it's thumb longer cut it back down. If outside find calmer water and do it with a knife. You don't have to make a work of art with that comb. Just after the bath while it's wet go through it to keep it straight and untangled. Also, when it gets in your way don't tie a damn tail with the hair itself cut off a piece of shoelace or any string. It's not like it will take that much space.” He glances at my waist “Actually there.” He points at the piece of leather tied to the ring on the pommel of my sword. In theory, it was used for the wrist to go through it before I draw the sword, so even if disarmed, instead of flying away sword would stay dangling around my wrist and easily enough back in my grip...in theory. Practically with Arts and all ranged power, when it came to swordplay it was often the last resort and then I'd rarely think about it. I'd use it only when in advance I knew we were going in points first.
 
I nodded “It would be perfect, thanks, Sid.” I placed two gold pieces on the tray. Well, one he certainly deserved and I hand nothing smaller for a tip. He slightly raised an eyebrow. “You know in your clumsy way I'd bet you're saying goodbye to most of the people you know here.” I thought about it “I always sucked at goodbyes, and never saw much point in them. All that emotion and in a week you're back.” “Not always, and if you are, someone else is not. Desensitization is a part of the work, but it is good to step away sometimes and reflect.” “Like you did.” He looked up into my eyes and was silent for so long that I thought he won't answer at all “No. Not like me. I left for good. All I have is a reflection, and that is not all that fun either. Good luck Hákon. With whatever you're planning.” “Thanks.” I was halfway out when he called me one more time “Remember what I told you about hair, if you are around drop by in some three months.” I smiled at the hidden meaning behind those words and without turning added “Bet your ass I will, I have my own beard style here after all. See ya, Sid.”
 
My hair was still a bit wet so I carried the hat in my hand and tried to math out how much gold I had left. I sprinkled it as fairy dust since I woke up. 4 for Paddy, 2 for V, and 2 for Sidney. Was that all? Waking up, Manfred, Paddy, V, and Sid. I should have 42 left which was good since for all melodrama Paddy was right. Khyon's goods were for a town of this size premium quality, and prices reflected that. Actually to the point that we met when I tried to rob him roughly eight years ago. That scar I didn't mind showing that, it was so clean and thin like it was done by a scalpel. One moment I was standing with a gun in my hand next I was laying on the side with a growing pool of blood, trying to figure out what happened. The elf in front of me was very amiable considering I was robbing him, hand stapled finger to finger in an almost praying pose. Then his right palm moved lightning-fast downward. Yeah, just a palm, and my world turned around as a giant slammed me with a tree trunk or it at least it felt like it. Cut I almost didn't feel it until later. Several years later I gathered the courage to ask what he did.
 
He didn't exactly show me but he did explain what happened. While I gave the usual robber spiel and he was all smiles and acquiescing he did the hardest part of the job, he was about to cast two very different Arts with the same hand...at the same time. At that time I remember tingles going down my spine, yeah I saw some crazier shit since but at the time it seemed to me like I tried to rob a Dragon armed with a bucket of water and harsh language. He even showed me the finger configuration. Basically, when he swung his hand down he turned Aether into the closest physical (more/less) equivalent, force, wall of it. That is what flatten me to the ground, and he did it using his pinky and ring finger. Appropriately, the middle finger and forefinger delivered coup de grâce, he transformed a small portion of Aether into a large but incredibly thin, from my PoW absolutely invisible steel razor and just cut me down. From the left shoulder to the right hip. All of that was incredible on its own but the control, control was the scary part. With that sharp blade, he could've cut me in two without effort. What did take the effort though was control to hold back and in places where it mattered, he sliced me good at the upper part which was mostly bone and muscle, but when he got to the belly he cut precisely 50% of muscle, leaving no chance of intestines to burst forth.
 
What's more, while I was still composing myself grasping onto the most primitive parts of Aether still too shocked to give them form so they just wildly sparked around me. He walked around the counter and applied a null field to me. Making me completely helpless. Whatever was I thinking, wasn't very nice but I grit my teeth, I won't give a bastard satisfaction of... healing me? He ripped the remains of my shirt and made complex glyphs beneath and above me, ones I still don't know then he placed his hand at the beginning of the cut. Glyphs begin spinning shooting green light at the tips of his fingers. He wasn't hurrying. Making sure he maintains absolute control the entire time. When he got to my hip, the bleeding stopped and the scar was nearly identical as it was now. Except due to its freshness it was baby pink while now it didn't differ from the rest of the body. Perfectly straight line deep 3-4 millimeters if you have slightly longer nails you could touch the bottom of it. When he was done he shrunk and took each sigil in a different hand then clasped hands together that blasted like thunder bathing me in green light. Concentrated on theatrics it took me some 3-5 seconds to realize my pain basically halved after the blast, I still felt I was on the losing side of ass-kicking, but nothing dramatically bad. Still, he helped me to the chair before picking up Helen that flew into the corner. Even after everything seeing her handled by a stranger spiked adrenaline in me and I barely constrained myself to lounge at him.
 
Khyon likely noticed a spike in aggression as he offered me the revolver back handle first, I kinda felt ashamed as I took it putting the hammer down and holstering the gun. “Beautiful piece.” I couldn't hold back just a slight note of pride from my voice “Yes, yes it is.” Then I looked him into his green eyes, most elves with green eyes have emerald hues. Khyon had more dark eyes like darker fir or cedar, equally, they didn't sparkle that much. “Why the hell did you heal me?” He actually grinned “I have a strange talent, I mean besides obvious.” he offhandedly waved toward my chest and bloody shirt “I can actually smell a good customer, and you my sashimied friend reek of profitability.” I have no idea how many times we did business from that day, but saving my life might've been one of the top 10 savviest business decisions, considering starting it cost him just an Aether that likely regenerated within a few days.
 
I climbed two stairs to get on the porch. While by general setup you could tell it is a store of some kind It had absolutely no sign. You had to be told about it by someone, or you would pass it by, while it was counterintuitive to everything someone would tell you about running the store I did wonder what The Law would think about some of Khyon's products. How do you tax *Still Beating Heart Of Alaskan Wendigo* Livestock? Produce? I entered the doorbell chiming an actual small melody when you open and close it. As always the place was in half-darkness so you either had to watch your step or know the way around, I was somewhere in between so I kept to a familiar route standing here and there to check some new items. My eye caught an odd Aether Rifle. There was no reservoir or way to attach one. Yet by all else, it seemed a superb weapon. Barell seemed like an octagonal version of large game hunting rifles, and I mean large with a capital “L” African safaris, elephants, rhinos, this baby was made for those things, yet the lack of a magazine was a puzzle, I guess that's how Khyon got so close without me noticing, although with him one could never be sure “Oh who is this dashing stranger?”
 
It took literally my natural and supernatural will not to jump out of my skin and scream like a baby receiving that first spank from Delivery Woman (if you are lucky, or whoever seemed calm enough for the procedure. Still, a lot of that surprise seeped out according to his silent chuckle I congratulated him with the finest *One Finger Salute* and he moved around with the usual catlike grace as he moved to the opposite side of the rifle. “Beautiful isn't it? Every time progress takes a step, it's either a weapon or something that can be used as a weapon. We are such lovely species, aren't we?” I looked at him “I assume by “progress” you refer to lack of magazine?” He slowly nodded “That and more. See, some of the big brains across the pond looked at Dwarven Aether Tech which was simply better. They said to themselves, O.K. let's not play at their field anymore. We will make our field and even if they come we'll make sure they can't play. Come” He took the rifle and roughly half-sized wooden box from underneath and moved both to the counter.
 
First block to Dwarfs, loading.” He pressed the button near the trigger and with a hiss compartment was lowered reviling a see-through chamber, a picture begin forming in my mind and it was pretty unnerving. As I expected Elf placed a finger on the chamber “It's so simple that even those filling Dwarven tech could do it.” soon small green light right up next to the chamber turned on and Khyon removed his finger and again pressed the same button this time making chamber retract “Aaaaaaand done. Ready for action. What do you think?” I looked him in the eyes “I think you are lying to me. All this practicality is so obvious even a child could get it. It might hold just one bullet but reloading is made so fast and practical that achieves near parity without question and if you make special units taking the men with large capacity almost ensures that you will outgun the opponent. Yup, the gun is useless to any enemy if they capture it if they can't use Arts, at least until they found some way around it. Plus we can't forget the weight and bulk of the magazine If I had the money I would definitely put it on my shortlist, but that's not it. ” I gently went over the weapon “All of these capabilities could be made for maybe even a third of the price, that's likely part of the dog and pony show. Have the competition flood the market with cheap knockoffs. I think that this beauty is not for sale. When some mark with more money than sense shows up you'd say it's already sold or some other BS. Now will you finally tell me why this thing is made of materials that alone could sell for someone's annual salary?”
 
Khyon smiled at the end of my assessment like a proud parent or someone who put his neck out to sponsor a black horse but he saw in him something and now he was proven right. He nods and takes binoculars that were for sale he boosts them to the max goes to the window and opens it. His sightline was good for looking out of town, unfortunately, “out of town” was a desert, not the liveliest of places. He looked around for about a minute while I played with the rifle some more “There! Desert goats I believe.” He pointed toward the direction and I soon saw 4-6 shapes on the horizon Honestly I had to take “goats” on my host's superior senses my senses stopped at they are quadrupeds and they have a fur. There were quite a number of species that filled that list even at a place like this, I mean it sucked but it wasn't the damn Mojave Desert, scraping on the wood returned me back and I saw Khyon dragging God's forsaken telescope. At, very likely not one of the brightest looks on my face Elf looks at me like he'd bringing a butterfly collection “What? Can't a man have a hobby?” I quickly assisted him and now we're going somewhere. I didn't know the difference between a telescope and a pirate spyglass then, and I am merely slightly more educated now. In any case, a bunch of moving dots became 6 Desert Goats actually so believable that they seemed like they were chilling in the backyard. We even got an unexpected visit, slowly crawling toward goats was a cougar, circle of life incarnate. They were eating his cover, he will eat one of them and likely poo some seed somewhere. So poetic. Then Khyon cracked open a wooden box and that uncomfortable feeling I had before was now screaming. The insides of the box were at the same time weird and scary. Three pieces of an iron bar with some screws for adjusting angles. a piece I could describe as a can with holes. Then a scope because I saw scopes before but nothing like this. As he was taking out pieces he immediately attached them to the rifle. No surprise bars when conected turn out to be bipod, I saw a definitely few already although not this modular and definitely not on a single shot, two pieces that surprised me. The can he screwed at the nozzle, he called a “suppressor”, by now they are pretty established but then I heard nothing about them. and the last part that I assumed was the spare for the bipod he called a monopod and attached it to the butt of the rifle. Allowing it to stand on it own pointed through the window. All the while I was checking and giving updates on the cougar and goats. If now everything went to hell finding the next targets would suck.
 
Then Khyon chuckles, I look at him he just waves me off “This should be 2 men's job, we have two men but unfortunately, no offense, if not trained you are just manual labor. Still better than nothing. Ok time to dial up this puppy, we'll use Cougar as the reference what is your distance?” I checked and silently swear. “Eh, it gives me metrics, 5.7 km, that means shit to me.” he chuckles again “You'd be so lost if some of your misdeeds forced you to leave the country, look at the right side there is a small leaver just push it down, it just changes overlay to “freedom” units .” I did as asked and looked again, then feeling like the world's largest manchild reported “This is screwed, it says 3.55 miles. That's way too far.”He adjusted something slightly on the monopod and nodded “3.55 miles here too, it is correct, so time to show the secret why they went the expensive as shit route, anything less would risk the rifle blowing up. The last time I activated was just the first phase. As you said not a great investment as bang for the buck goes but...” He opens the container again, the green light was still on. He places a finger back and begins pushing more Aether, light not a minute later goes red. I must admit I was getting fidgety, we were playing with raw Aether just this one bullet would erase this store with everything in it and I just had to look around that sizable chunk of the land will just be declared Biohazard, and quarantined. Let's say I was not ready for the next line of defense, it started to beep once a second while the red light began to blink I just turned and looked through the telescope, the beads of sweat began to collect, and drip from my forehead, nose, brows I artificially froze all the moisture on my skin and broke it with a tiny hurricane. For a few seconds, I was the center of a miniature ice storm then I flung all the ice through a window before it melted and left a puddle of sweat around me.
 
Khyon was a picture of calm with a finger on the container then he surprised me “Your elemental control got a lot better, not to mention creative, if you took Arts seriously you would be one of the more serious threats in these ruined territories. As on cue beeping stops, and I look at the light, it was gone too. “Is it ready?” For some reason, I was whispering “Soon, what's a read on cougar?” I peeked through the telescope “It finally stalked close enough, it is on one side of the large rock, goats on the other I think it plans to climb on it and attack from above.” Riffle gave one long beep followed by two short ones and ended on the medium. A small translucent canister, now filled with a misty dark green color of Khyons eyes. Then hissed and closed without any prompt. With bipods and monopods help, the rifle stood on its own for a while, but now Khyon takes the reigns, “Distance?” Using cougar as the marker. I checked and shook my head “4.1 miles, you know the number of records you'll break If you hit even damn rock and no one will know? He just shrugs, “The price of doing business. Spot for me.” I never spotted for a sharpshooter, as far as I knew they were a one-man operation. But I doubt anyone could unglue me from the telescope now, even if they tried. As soon first bullet went I knew I'm witnessing something special, even if it was in the essence kind of target practice. The sound was almost nonexistent, every shot sounded like someone popped their lips close to you. Cougar was the first. It already started its ascent so I was slightly confused when it stopped but the pelt got whiter and whiter. Ice Bullet. Good choice one at the full effect it will erase its scent too. “Hak?” “Hit the one all the way left it's hidden behind a thorn bush and the wind will change” *POP*, “Wait, Grayhorn will jump on the stone with the cougar then down.” *POP* “While those two fight for the affection of the only Doe that sneaky one will try to go behind the Lilly bush, shoot thumb bellow only flower left.” *POP* .”Last shot Hak.” “Doe those two are too far gone they won't even notice.” *POP*
 
“Not bad for a first-time spotter.” “Piece of cake with a freak of nature like you behind the wheel.” He laughed and then throw 20$ I catch the note and raise an eyebrow. “I was given this piece of hardware to try it out. We have proven that it works, the battery is good for six shots. Did you catch the longest one? One behind the bushes or the sneaky lover. I went to check for the bushes on 4.17, I don't know about you but I don't feel like walking 4 miles in one direction just to find out the second decimal is pushed a bit He nodded “Turn the overlay back on the metric to note that too.” I actually chuckled “Nice and clean 6.7. km. Nice, So, what will you write in your paper?” “Dwarves can have close-up and personal, Elves will corner hyper distance and precision, I mean even 3.5 miles is shit pants far.” “I nodded, I might consider saving up for a budget model.” He looks for the one on the table “Well this one is more top of the line but it will be used by the time we are done, spot for me four more times and you are getting new hotness.” I looked at him speechless. Naturally, I kinda doubted future spotting will be a goat shooting competition, and the likelihood of people with similar if not the same weapons shooting back was near certain. Also, this weapon was going on the market directly against Aether Weapons. Well-proven
 
Dwarven Technology VS brand new Elven Tech. A strictly rational part of my mind rated Elven Tech half to an entire notch below Dwarven one. Yeah with time to prepare several scouts could keep key chokepoints for months, maybe indefinitely since they need no extra ammo. Also, as I, correctly, suspected this Sharpshooter, Sniper rifles were not the only thing Elves cooked up. And Dwarves likely had their own answer, too bad both sides mostly ignored Humans as the third wheel when it comes to Aether warfare three sides had fundamentally different principles. The dwarf would draw one of his nefarious contraptions and turn everyone into ash and sludge. Leaving one traumatized, both physically and mentally survivor to speak about what happens when you cross one of the kingdoms under the surface. The Elven sharpshooters before from some 2.5, now seemingly 4, miles would intentionally choose the most complicated path possible, between dozen of independent moving parts, of which, if just one deviated plan would be for naught. Those were headline-worthy news. With the man of skill displaying courage. Men that had faces and histories. Humans instead showed what happens when in 5000 years have less than 2% global peace and then give them the commonly perceived enemy. Small Orc island in South Pacific Archyiplellago stopped existing yesterday, leaving behind a rather lovely coral reef and, I assume, a bunch of green bodies. But I had enough on my plate as is and South Pacific was so far away, like the other planet. Besides Human scientists said it was a freak accident unlikely to repeat
 
I saw the rifle in action, but if I'll be even more suicidal than I was already I will squeeze a few bullets from it. “Can you first remove all those doodads except that can that cancel the noise, so I pop a few shots?” “Suppressor” “Sure, whatever,” I remember thinking a name like that will never catch on. So lucky I gambling is one of my addictions “...may I?” He nodded and expertly strip it of everything except that “Suppressor” thingie and hand me a rifle. I felt a slight twitch from my holster. Was Helen jealous or found a kindred soul after several decades? That made me slightly uneasy, the only reason she was with me now was that the previous owner denied her one time too many. But that was the story for another time I was careful about her needs more than any person in my life and this twitch was too ambiguous. It will have to wait a while so I pushed it at the back of my mind and approached the window. Khyon leaned a few steps behind me, he didn't insult me by explaining stuff, he knew I was watching as a hawk the first time around. At first, I was just surprised how heavy it was. A lot was happening under this hood. Khyon likely noticed my face “A lot of platinum was used inside, due to its supreme ductile properties.” I raised an eyebrow there were at least three metals that had a less than 1% loss in ductile properties compared to every wire inside being made of platinum with a price difference of at least several hundred bucks. My host smiled “Like I said this is a top-shelf model, there is just one more expensive model.”
 
I turned the weapon in my hand noticing caligraphy going along the elegant barrel I looked at the other side and even though I know basically nothing about elven calligraphy it was obviously different I glanced at the Khyon he shrugged “Old Elven proverbs, one is as cryptic as our forefathers liked to be, second was a new one, it basically boasts. Too uncouth for such weapon.” “Indulge me” He sighed but did indulge me...well for all I know he could've lied his ass off but I choose to believe him “Old one is kinda moral lesson. Roughly translated it says: “If you learn to fly with a stone, you'll need the only one to skip the lake.” It is actually pretty common among sharpshooter squads.” I glanced at him “And the second one?” He rolled his eyes “I end the wars before they start.” “I laughed feeling that familiar feeling when you are embarrassed for someone else You are right I might remove that too if I survive, what are the odds of that by the way?” Khyon never minced words, that's one thing I admire him for, delivering bad news like it's only normal “42% for me 27% for you.” I snorted “Quite the ods.” His answer was a matter of fact “That weapon at this moment is too expensive to be produced even in small quantities. You'd have to custom order it than pay 2 thirds of the price.” That is the money they will actually use for the material, workers, and know-how, once it's done you pay them a profit and get your rifle That model is 750000 dollars. I instinctively gripped the rifle tighter as if I was afraid I'd drop it and it will shatter. Who is so insane to drop three-quarters of a million for it just to end up here? Like he's reading my thoughts (not something I'd put past him) “Isn't a Human saying what you don't know can't hurt you?“Oh it is, and if I knew who said it I'd find him and shoot him through the knees with Aether bullets, just to show him what kind of BS he's paddling, after all, he doesn't know me.”
 
Khyon smiled and shook his head “You can be such a violent bastard, so are you in or out.” Beware answering I looked at a chequered butt made out of walnut But noticed it was checkered only from the outer side with a swooping flaming eagle in the center. The side that goes to the cheek was polished almost to sheen, It made sense, Snipers could spend hours on some uncomfortable spots, After murdering someone the last thing you'd need chequered pattern on your cheek. I looked through the window and saw a dying tree some 30-35 feet away “Right lower branch with five smaller ones that look like a hand.” like we were preparing for a pool match. Khyon tilted his head calculating. I wasn't famous for my rifle skills, and even if I was, around here most famous rifle was Winchester, and while it boasted a one-mile range 20-30 ft was the actual effective range and range most shooters practiced. His beauty could reach so far with ease, but he had some gambler in him too. “10 bucks that you'll choke and you have to go from up down.”
 
My turn to examine the tree, ashamedly it took me almost a minute to notice what he saw in a few seconds one part of the bark was pealed, and while neither could say with 100 certainties it looked healthy under. I made a face like I ate a lemon while he smiled just as I saw my opportunity, “20$ and I'll go in order but I get 6 shots.” Khyon examined the “finger” again, The weapon was made for clean penetration over huge blast holes even if I managed to hit it one bellow squeezing every hair width lower bark was attached and it will hold “Deal.” In truth, I really wanted to put the weapon through the paces without all the tech advantages. Shooting someone from such a distance they could have their firstborn and send them to school before the shot lands but in truth a lot of my fighting was done at a distance where I knew what the guy had for breakfast from the stench from his mouth. The first two were test runs, I was lucky that the first one was not only thicket but was so filled with termites that it threatened to explode if I even just winged it.
 
I looked at the iron sites from above and then through them. On the back end, it was a small hole with a tin line carved and it was perfectly aligned with the lower part. Then I turned it again, pompous, self-absorbed, Holier Than Thau, yeah Elves were all of those things, and likely many more. But among that shover of vitriol, it was often forgotten, or more willfully omitted “consummate professionals.” They would turn into recyclers a perfectly good piece of equipment because failed one of their 269 tests for a sword, rapier to be more exact because everything had a different paper and set of tests. The bad thing was if you came too early because you were just so excited to get your hand on a lovely fire sword. I mean it was supposed to be done yesterday, what does it matter if you come in at 8 or noon as they said? Done yesterday It was done yesterday, right? Wrong Dumbster! Production was done then, but ever since the blade was going through a series of rigorous tests and it will be done at noon, not 11: 59 AM, Noon. If you are lucky that is. If you are not, and the sword failed one of hundred tests. In that case, the head of the guild you commission work with will come out themselves and apologize profusely and give you your options to take a full refund, wait another few weeks for them to make another one with a generous discount, or take one already completed weapons with a smaller but still decent discount, You'll likely find yourself going home with brand new Silver Bastard Sword that you really had no need for and wondered what just happened,
 
Well, can there be a good side to the nightmare I described, Well, they would be out of business if it weren't otherwise. See first Compound Longbow will be identical to the 10th Compound Longbow you buy from them. Also if you take basic care of them they will simply not fail. There is a saying: “Elven weapons don't fail the user, the user fails Elven weapon.” And in all my years it held true. Although I might be slightly biased, see I'm not 100% sure but I believe Helen was made by Elves but just a really really long time ago that the template was lost. Or the customer made sure by contract it stays unique, it is more often than it sounds. Not that showed overt signs, but it did have one unrepeatable, accidental quirk that only enchanted Elven firearms displayed in roughly 1.7% of samples had the property that shared with wands and Aether Weapons but unpredictability prevented the company to make a consistent stream of revenue which in firearms industry sin. Of course, they made money from these mistakes selling them on various actions in very small batches. Professing that it's a trade secret and they don't want to flood the market, See, unlike any ammo firearm she had no recoil, at all, no matter the bullet, and trust me I tried cartridges that by right should break my wrist. Nothing.
 
Well, to return to the bet and a reason I spun this little yarn in the first place, you know you deal with true professionals when all eventualities were covered. The both back and front sight could be moved. Although eventualities, when you would move front sight, were rare and far between, also one moved you could lock them in place so they don't accidentally move in the heat of battle. On the left, you had Imperial measurements, right metric. So far so expected of them but the next thing really impressed me. I actually laughed while Khyon said nothing but there was silent pride on his face. While the numbers were on the top just on the side right and left I found signs on the right bumps and on left signs I could just look at them but I wanted to do it by touch and within half a minute I could aim with them. A version of the bumps on the right will become world renowned the Braille tactile reading system, but at this time was much more primitive and had to be paired with the signs on the other side which, as I confirmed by a glance was the Roman numerals. While parts will become more sophisticated some version of it was used for several decades now, mostly by us poor sods who couldn't see in the dark to be able to sight our rifles. Yeah, it was used by nighttime assassination when any light tended to attract light to moderate lead shower...if you are lucky. Humans took credit for this and considering that Elves would claim they are the reason that day and night exist, but didn't fight this one landed air of credence. But its inclusion on this ridiculously expensive rifle meant they show value in it. And finally, it had a bar that could raise to mark the elevation
 
Well moment came and I first raised the rifle and took aim at the first target then did the first thing that made Khyon frown in confusion, but far from last I pressed the button and rested my forefinger and the middle finger at the trigger guard touching the battery in the meantime I raised elevation bar which deepened his frown. Elevation Bar was used with ammo weapons that had dropoff to worry about etc. Aether Weapons had no such worry, Charge will travel in a straight line until it reaches its target or a maximum range and disappears in the air. Truthfully I was pretty confident that I will land the first two shots and I was experimenting a bit. There were uses of the bar beyond ammo dropoff. The light.. turned green and as soon as it closed I gently squeezed the trigger, no recoil. Now we are cooking. Chamber opened and it was slightly warm when I placed my fingers on it without moving the rifle from my cheek for a second again moving the front sight just a bit toward me and raising the elevation pointer, it seemed to work as intended, but I had one last test before the big ball. I'd cross my fingers but I had few to spare. Green light. Buton. Hiss. Shot. Two down. Big show time. Khyon stopped frowning and trusted the branch will carry the day, likely guessing what I was doing with the elevation bar before the second shot. Shots were traveling perfectly straight, but I wasn't the best with the rifle. I was decent, in an ambush with half a dozen more guys, opening on the enemy before riding in a revolver in one hand and the sword in the other, it was good enough. But now I had to hit a bullseye twice in a row. I used the bar to track my misses. and adjust the aim on the fly. I barely pushed the front sight forward. Green light. Button, I placed my finger on the trigger and hesitated for the first time. I didn't even notice Khyon moving right to my shoulder, same as I, he stopped breathing too, There was something more here than 40 dollars, pride maybe, maybe just two hyper-competitive guys making the bet in their mind larger than it was. I don't know, all I know is that one could chew the tension. I took the shot.
 
Khyon raised arms for a second in victory but my eye stayed on the target begging every god of any pantheon for fucking branch to give. Realizing what I did he lowered his arms saying something in Elven, even, as the entire language sounded musical, by the tone I doubted it was a compliment, then the sound of the breaking wood part I shot snapped, and middle-finger toppled halfway down. A whirlwind of emotions in me began to swell, I literally had to bite myself on the cheek from the inside to come down, Wish to dance on the rooftops is bad, almost as the movement of the branch so unpredictably. What I did is asked myself why is one “finger alive when the entire arm was dying, I started from that tear and follow back I did not see it right away but termites helped. See it would appear they had two little “gardens” no idea what plant was it but it was some kind of vine that went from roughly a palm from the “finger”. There were these two little highways that termites “harvested” every day but they had to keep that portion healthy, not hard they had an entire tree to play. The middle between those paths was so rotten that a harder sneeze could break it but they passed enough food for the “finger”. Gamble that they were thin enough for them to snap under weight since the shot would leave a small part like half a pinkie finger wide right to the rot. And it worked, the only issue was that when the part collapsed it hid most of the target, It wasn't large, to begin with, but now it was the size of a dime.
 
Khyon turned toward me “Bastard.” and threw 20 on the table “I forefeet.” turning to walk away among his wares and wait for frustration to pass.
Well, that was unexpected. While waiting for Khyon to return to his own shop I took remaining shots, well. That was a slight lie...I would lose the bet, rather convincingly one might say. I'm not one of those gunslingers that would fling the coin in the air and draw, shoot it through the middle, reholster Helen, and catch the coin in the same hand. I I were I'd join a circus and earn a secure paycheck and meals. So that was me with my weapon of choice, a rifle, and without that pressure that one might say forced me to succeed it took me three shots to hit that dime side, but hit it I did, Two remaining after that was a formality. Once done before I picked up a weapon and box and returned them exactly as I found them I placed my hand on Helen and actually first time vocalize my thoughts “So, love should we do this one? At a later time many to whom I told this story told me my hand-heated Gold Plated handle, the most heat-resistant metal we know about, I imagined all the else, I do pity them, or as close as I could feel pity over their ignorance. “And would you like one of your own to travel with us? If you prefer to travel as is I'll refuse the weapon. It's up to you.” I felt the same wave of heat bringing security, and something else, the name “Calypso” “Her name is Calypso?” Heat I might have imagined but the jerk of the revolver is hard to imagine “O.K. we will get her 24%, or what Khyon said is much better than what our guests offer. I think their survival teeters are 5%” I picked up the box and the rifle returning them to their place, well box at least, I tinkered with a rifle. Never feeling quiet. One of those times when I slightly pushed the barrel slightly to the left Khyon did the same as at the beginning, suddenly speaking not 2 full meters behind me
 
“It doesn't have to be exactly the same you know? I think this time my thoughts and feelings already jumped a bit as my hand fell on the revolver as my brain finally recognized the voice. “Jesus, Khyon you will give me a heart attack one day!” It was petty revenge for the scare he deeply dislikes even mention of any Abrahamic religion. But this time he didn't raise to the bait. He calmed since forfeiting, Glancing through the window he noticed missing fingers “Who would win?' I saw no reason to lie “You, it took me 3 bullets to fall middle one.” Khyon laughed “That's because you always look at the small picture. The second you broke the puzzle. You had no losing tactics, The fact you did it with just 2 bullets extra is just rubbing salt in the wound. You took down my “unbeatable” gambit with an allotted number of bullets. I kinda doubt you felt any triumph in shooting the last two.” “Ok, you got me there.” I agreed “I just wanted to finish.”
 
Khyon sighed “I was always a sore loser. Anyway, when you came you wanted something before we got sidetracked” I was thinking about how would be most tactful to answer I decided to start with directness “Spotting” Khyon looked slightly taken aback “I'll admit that is unexpected, I saw you recognize the usefulness of weapon as the sniper, but little else, you rightfully recognized that despite his high value you would have to sell it for significantly less” I gave a half grin “There is always the fact that you are too direct hence you are terrible liar and I mean catastrophically, you forgot about that “byer” at least three time of the top of head. Khyon gave a half bow “I'll take that as a compliment” “I have my theories about your true employer but this is neither time nor place and in the end, I really don't care, currently only reason I want to go is that Helen wants someone of their own kind and by her reaction, I think they met before.” I figured that is enough truth. I had no idea who Khyon really works and he is the only one who was receptive to the connection I had with Helen although he didn't see it in positive light. He was silent for almost a minute. “O.K. my assignment is to push the rifle to absolute limits, today we did preemptive things. Checking is all systems are O.K., Limits of distance, and thanks to you we have several important things about mid-range fights, that were of particular worry for us. The next “Spotting” is the day after tomorrow, depending on your target and performance, if satisfactory I'll answer any possible questions and give some basic guidance and what you should expect.”
 
“Ok, got it, now onto spending cash.” His eyes twinkle “I like the sound of that go on.” “Well I have short-term and long-term issues, so let's see first what we can do for the short term. I need silver bullets, holy water, some cold elixirs, and the scroll of protection against law and evil.” Khyon looks at me “That list basically screams I'm, gonna fight the devil.” He wrote down what I ordered and returned with the basket. “O.K. two scrolls of protection.” he placed 4 vials of Holly 2 Water “Sorry since Father Geraldi died they have issues filling the spot here. I used to go with full 4 buckets to the church and have it done in 5 minutes, now I need to go to the nearest city and can carry just two waterskins. 2 vials of cold elixir and a box of silver bullets. Standard .45 two bucks a piece. Let's see 4 for holy water, 10 for elixir 100 for scrolls...” I raised my hand “Lemme stop you right there, I have 82 bucks and I'll give you 70 for water, elixirs, 10 bullets, and one scroll, don't care which.” Khyon laughed “In other words, you'll pay for bullets and scroll, and the rest I'll give you because I like you so much, I don't run charity here Hak.“ ”You said we're going hunting in 2 days, you want to yell at me just that isn't worth 24 bucks.” “If you survive.” I grinned “I'll survive, you wouldn't take me if you thought otherwise, on the other hand, if Devils nab me tonight, finding a decent replacement in this hole? In 12 hours? Come on.” He rapped his knuckles on the counter against the counter looking at me, in the end, he sighed chucked one of the scrolls back in the basket, counted 10 bullets then pushed stuff toward me “If you screw me over I'll resurrect you myself just so I can burn you alive.” “Yeah, yeah.” I immediately replaced mundane bullets in Helen with Silver ones, placing Holly Water in the right pocket and Elixirs in the left, and Scroll I placed in the front pocket of my jacket. “Thanks a bunch.” I almost turned to leave when he stopped me “You forgot to tell me about the long-term issues you knucklehead.” That stopped me in my tracks and I again lowered my voice like someone might be listening. “Can you get me protection from Lamia in about a week or so?” He snorted “Yeah, stay away from one and if you can't put one Aether or Fire bullet through your heart, so magnificent trio visited you too. You became very popular very quickly.” He laughed at the expression on my face “What? You thought you were so important that they got to this shithole just because of you? You egomaniac.” I felt my freshly shaved cheeks burning “Kinda.”
 
Khyon shook his head in disbelief “If I knew for what you needed supplies you wouldn't get them for twice the price. They told you how their little recruitment drive goes so far?” I nodded “One alive from 4 jobs, they had three with a 100% mortality rate, why would you accept something like that.” I felt a prick of irritation “I'm not a fuckin' clairvoyant to know you'll have some job lined up, and us Human work best if we can eat once a day, I was bloody broke. Like a sticking up wagon on my own would be a cakewalk, Doing shit alone is hard, or you would test that magic contraption without me.” “If this is a recruitment, imagine an actual job you idiot.” In truth, I was actively trying not to think about it. Instead, I answered with a question of my own “Are they powerful?” He rubbed the top of his palm “All three combined unquestionably. Separated they are still good, but Lamia stands above them all, I shudder to think how old she is. Older than me in any case and I'll be 1324 in a few months.” “So, no protection.” his eyes floated back to me “There is the pendant, unique that makes your life essence poisonous for them, one sip wouldn't kill her but it would make her violently ill. Both exposing what she tried and dissuading her from trying again, but you couldn't buy two scrolls where the hell you'd find the money for the unique item? I don't know what he's asking for it but I wouldn't let it go under 50000 bucks.” I inwardly groaned I saw this coming as soon as he said the word “unique” first time. “And there is nothing on this green earth except that.” “Nothing I know about and can get my paws on.” He thought a bit.
 
“Well, there is a slightly less permanent solution.” A spark of hope ignited “Please don't stop talking on my account” “Well old cook, was some explorer in Egypt apparently they were like the plague there, and even now, compared to here, they are relatively common. So while he is not stupid enough to sell something that valuable for peanuts and a friendly slap on the bum he figured out how to make short-lasting potions. For those who expect to pass through one of their haunts here.” “How that separation works anyway.” He shrugged “I wasn't exactly there, so this is like 4th hand account, but there was a meeting in Alexandria, before the first sacking. Romans were encroaching and fast. Leaches were coming in their wake and Soul Suckers were not in a position to fight, but Leaches were in a similar predicament. If they move in force and leave flanks undefended. Were beasts from the North will sweep, they will not even wait for the mundane cousins. Their spheres of influence were drawn then, and they still stand for the most part. Entire Asia and Africa were given to Lamias as long as they respect the law of the land. Europe and North America went to leaches under the same conditions South America was to be Neutral and serve as a political hub. Australia and New Zealand were the places both side would send their “undesirables.” Lamias walked away more than happy. They kept the richest, most cultured countries. While Vampires accepted undeveloped lands land full of barbarian cultures and continents that might take millennia to be discovered. Well, either Leaches really had clairvoyant or this was the longest con in the history of civilization. So, returning back to the point, the old cook has no real need for the pendant, but making 2-3 potions every month made him not the wealthiest man in the country, not even one of the top 10, but wealthy enough. One potion is 100 bucks. 300 bucks for essentially cooking for few hours” “I scratched my neck, well his net worth is about to skyrocket. Go and order a first batch of 5 potions.” Elf leaned forward “A first batch? Implying there will be more.” “Apparently.” “Do I need to remind you that you have 18 dollars in your pocket?” “I'll have money.” He shook his head “Just be sure to be alive and ready the night after tomorrow.” I smiled and he just raised his hand and went to his warehouse.
 
Sun outside was low, I glanced toward the church. Almost 6 PM. I had about an hour and a half to get to Devil Springs, doable without distractions I tapped flasks in my pocket. If there were no distractions, I'm running for state Marshal next cycle. I placed my hat low over my eyes and moved toward the stable. Omaha was there as always, currently sitting at the fence with unbroken horses watching one of the cowboys bouncing at the lithe, well-proportional brown Saddlebred, these horses were usually a bit more robust, indicating some other breed in his family tree butt rather than weakness he used it to twist the body a ways others of his brethren simply couldn't, cowboy, the man in his forties with horseshoe mustache was obviously veteran, he managed to move with everything horse threw at him, at this point it was just point who has more gas in a tank. I leaned next to Omaha, and he gave me his tusked smile, the Orc in human town, nearly unheard of, I was there when he was found. Story for another time. Wanna wager Hak, I shook my head “Lost enough today, besides I have to go.” “Time for me to finish this? They were going for like 40 minutes one has to give soon.” I nodded “Sure.” In truth by the intensity, I thought 15 minutes at most. Now I was intrigued too. After five minutes of acrobatics, finally, the horse lowered his head making a few last half-hearted attempts before stopping jumping and just walking around applause and hooting went around, I applauded too, both were drenched with sweat, this was not only worthy victory but excellent performance. Cowboy took off his wide-brim hat and waved to his friends with a side bow “Twenty-Seventh boys!!!”, Like that was some hidden signal Horse's back leg collapsed in such a convincing fashion that some would say fatigue got him. But I saw something, the cowboy was a picture of an experienced veteran, tilted in the saddle in the mid bow, with one hand out of the picture yet he managed to straighten up and regain stability, once the horse raises he'll be back in the saddle. But even the most experienced have a limit. As the horses' hind legs fell down saddle followed, then the cowboy regained composure basically standing, above the hump, where the horn of the saddle pointed up. If the horse didn't straighten up but bucked...I closed my eyes. There is something visceral in every male that instinctively winces when he witnesses another male getting hit between the legs. I didn't need to see the saddle horn with the speed of a well-aimed boot crush that man's family jewels. I heard it all, the reaction of the crowd and the pained grunt of a man. There was no scream, to scream you need to have air in the lungs, all of his was knocked out at the moment of impact, and he was laying in the fetal position vomiting. I think I saw the beginning of red collecting on his trousers. “Well, Devil take me.” Omaha silently said as others finally recovered part jumped in to take the horse away and the second part their injured friend. “Yeah, I might be late for my appointment. Get me the Girl.”
 
I was riding for almost half an hour and still couldn't erase the scene, I shook my head and placed the head between Girls' ears, and gently scratched her. Like she was feeling my anxiety she briefly turned her head and gave a gentle snort, like “Everything will be fine.” I appreciated her optimism even though I didn't share it. Now I kinda regretted the amount of Aether I used in town playing with that gun. Intellectually I knew it wasn't THAT much. But on the other side, sometimes even a sliver of power means life and death, it was thumb before the sun started to sink I hesitantly allowed the girl to let loose. She was my third horse and was actually the daughter of my second horse Vanity, and I wouldn't admit it even to Helen, but she had a special place in my heart, her mother was killed just several weeks into her training, she just gotten used to all the stuff she needed to carry, plus me on top of it. I could've rented the horse for several months until she grew into a role. After six months, six months of close calls for both of us, it was hard to find a group that would work with me. No matter what I can do if my horse can't really keep up, neither to catch in a chase nor escape in a getaway. I survived mostly with petty theft and gambling. But I noticed that since she carried more weight than appropriate for her age, she developed more muscle than Vanity ever had, as the name might imply Vanity was best looking Morgan I ever saw, and while the trader tried to upsell me on a Stallion, all but straight telling how much money I could earn by pimping him out. The sword at his throat made him understand, we are in different businesses. Girl never got a name by accident, since she had to learn so much on the work “That's a good girl”, who's a good girl,” etc. were said so often that soon she stopped answering to any different name. But even if that time is long behind us, that time when she couldn't catch up with other horses was a hangup I carried with me, and was always content to let her run half speed, or hold pace with other horses. But the prospect of being caught alone at Devil Springs makes me throw that last hangup away, and by all gods living and dead how she galloped, we ate the distance like it was nothing. Sun just began to touch the horizon, but at this pace, we'll be there before it's halfway down. Of course, those were magic words, first I saw movement on the left I looked, at three hellhounds, not even watching us, routine. I knew there were be 3 on the right, they were there to box us in. I looked back to see the kill squad and felt cold sweat on my neck. Three Big Boys, under normal circumstances, I'd call BS, there can be just one. One is able to dominate all the others. But there was. Hell is the orderly place but this one was around here on Earth that broke that uniformity. I saw scars that made him do that, most from his own kind, Only weapon attack of any note was a sword strike that went from the crown of its head to about an inch below his left eye, but the eye was whole and burning with malevolent intelligence. It was enormous, to other already size of average draft horses, which put them on par or larger than the Girl. He could dominate them because he was at least twice their size. He defied reality himself with its presence Due to their look, it was easy to think of them as dogs. They had more experience than some humans, and definitely more intelligence.
 
The throat at the midsection began to glow, It was not yet time for a counterattack. Somehow Girl gained more speed but it couldn't last however, at least, we began to gain ground on small turds on the sides. The last thing I needed is for one of them to intervene while I was fighting a real battle. I gathered what I deemed enough Aether, a few seconds later ghastly jaws opened, and the torrent of flame flew toward us. I extended the hand and raised maybe the most sophisticated barrier I ever made. It was circular, enough to cover both of us but it wasn't straight, imitating the dome of Chapelle, it didn't only protect only us but minimized the brunt of the attack on the barrier overall. I felt flame hit it but it didn't even shake. Now I had to hold the concentration. Just as I finished thought second gout flame enveloped the shield. NOW it shook, together with my hand to the elbow, if the giant one added his flame we'd be ash in an instant. I turned toward our goal and saw a number of figures roused by ruckus looking to see will we make it. I also see the ward some 20 ft. in front of them. We need to reach there, some 100 ft ahead, at least 80 ft too many considering I saw what I feared. The orange glow in the throat of the elephant decided to pretend he was a hellhound. Not that it mattered I felt the barrier will fail soon.
 
Then I remembered what I saw just before we started today and laughed, seemed fitting that the last gambit comes from the horse. While the barrier was seconds before collapsing and roughly the same before the third gout turned us into ash, I flung a vial over the barrier, like lobbing the grenade. The fire stopped and all three heads raised, curiosity killed a cat. I withdrew, the barrier into my hand, it was amount of Aether side of a grain of sand. Lucky for me Aether is explosive and vials are fragile because I shot at it just as it started to fall. Holly Water rained on Hellhounds, at its own it wouldn't do much, they are not undead. But it DID sting their raised eyes as vinegar would sting ours, they closed them howling in the pain and anger and lightly stumbling, but I wasn't letting them go that easily after all this. Howl haven't even reached a crescendo when in the leader's mouth flew a second vial and crashed against his sawlike teeth. But this wasn't benign Holy Water as his tongue and vocal cords turned to ice, his shocked eyes opened just for the second vial to crush against them, in honesty I doubted one vial would be enough for its carriage-sized melon, but this was it. His eyes were as white as the rest of the head, and crystals slowly formed on his neck. His two compatriots were good to continue the chase when they saw what is happening and cautiously slowed down and moved away just in time for Helen to sing a chorus. Same as with the vial one bullet didn't seem enough, two barks later its head vanished in pieces of ice body made two more leaps before falling front leg first which tripped last finishing in some tangled mass of limbs, body and still spreading ice, At that time we were well beyond wards, me stopping the Girl next to some pond where few other horses drunk. and jumped off taking my hat to dust myself off I approached the trio I knew I nodded to Ronald who grinned and winked at me. Then looked at Anne “M'lady.” She referenced my words from last night “I thought around here latecomers get no gold?” “Late?” I looked at the sun maybe Milimetar still was over the horizon. I raised my hand and aligned my thumb with the horizon. Unfortunately with all this happening, I haven't cut my nails and while I saw the sun through it, technically she was right. I glanced down and noticed Santinos nails were freshly cut. “We'll need a third opinion.” he snorted and placed the thumb next to mine, as you can imagine even to say a millimeter was above would be generous. “So am I on time?” He lowered his hand amusement somewhere deep behind his blue eyes. “Just about.” Anne snorted, shook her head, and left toward the fire Santino smiled and followed her. Ronald stood next to me and slapped me over the back. which felt like someone slammed me with a piece of rock. “There, you just need to survive tomorrow and we're all set, come to the fire I scored some good rum.”
0