Chapter 21: A Certain Contract
107 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 For some reason, Lottie was beside the bed alongside Rachel. It seemed like we had arrived back at the estate. But… What happened?

 I seem to have passed out and am in my room… And for Lottie to be here, how much time has passed? I was sure Flame Sage Atlas would pass by, but to think he brought his daughter with him…

—is everyone okay? What happened to the wolf? Did I manage to slay it?

I tried getting up, but my whole body hurt a…lot. Still, I struggled, and probably due to me making a stew, Lottie slowly opened her eyes.

“Le…Leon?” she quietly asked while rubbing her eyes.

 Our eyes locked, and neither uttered a word—until tears ran down Lottie’s eyes.

 “Leon!” she cried. “I…I was so worried,” she said, moving closer until she rested her head on my chest.

 “…..Lottie?”

 I reluctantly called out to her. I don’t know why I did, but… I wrapped my arms around her and locked us into an embrace.

 “What’s wrong?” I asked.

 “I thought you were not going to wake up...” Lottie replied while sobbing.

 “…can you tell me what happened?”

 I released her, and her still teary eyes pulled on my heartstrings. Reaching out my hand, I wiped off the tears. Lottie genuinely smiled and took my hand.

 “I’m happy you’re safe… A-And I don’t know what happened… When Daddy and I arrived at the estate, everybody seemed restless and… I saw Leon in this state…”

 “I see…”

*Ugh*

 I clenched my chest and gasped for air. For some reason, I felt nauseous and was struck with intense pain.

L-Leon!?” Lottie became flustered and backed off. With a sad look, she clenched her chest as if praying. “I-I will go find the adults right away!” she said and ran off.

 Watching her run off, I lay down again and noticed that Rachel had been awake all this while. “Rachel?” I inquired.

 Rachel got up and just stood there. I was sure she’d jump straight into my arms—but she didn’t.

 “…Brother,” she hoarsely said.

 Her eyes were filled with tears, making it look like she was about to cry her eyes out.

 I want to hug her and calm her down. But… My whole body hurt so much that I couldn’t move anymore.

—ah…I’m pathetic…

 That was the last thing I remembered until I drowned in darkness.

 

 — :::: —

 

  Things got hectic when I first woke up—rather… After I woke up and fell asleep again. Apparently, I have been out for two weeks…  Later that day, I was able to walk again, but I couldn’t do anything intense. Thus, I ended up in this situation…

 “Lottie… here,” I said and handed her a towel. I glanced at Rachel and handed her one as well. “Here, Rachel.”

 Rachel wasn’t the type to exercise in the mornings. But… I didn’t expect that Lottie would also be running this early.

—apparently, Rachel started jogging in the mornings when she saw Lottie jog. Ugh… I feel so restless watching them…

 Lord Atlas has left for his business trip in the neighbouring county, and it has apparently been three days since Lottie came here. Somehow… It was odd seeing the two get along. After all, they were characters that had different factions and hated one another.

—I suppose it’s different now that Rachel was adopted into our family.

 As Lottie and Rachel went for another round, I glanced to the side and the wolf that I recently fought had shrunk and was walking by my side. Our eyes met, and it wagged its tail. “Master?” it called my name.

 “…somehow… Why are you calling me Master?” I cautiously inquired.

 It appears that when Father and Mother found me, this wolf was with me and even let me rest on it. The reason they’d taken it back with them was that it cooperated, and because they were cautious, it would do something unless they didn’t play along. 

—sure, it looks a little different. But… I could tell by its eyes that it was the same one I fought.

 “It’s only reasonable,” it replied. “After all, you beat me but didn’t slay me. How could I not take that as a sign for a contract?”

 “Well… I don’t mind. As long as you harm no one… Besides, where’s the rest of your pack?”

 “Hm? Oh, those were just Frost Illusions.”

 “…Frost Illusions that life-like?

*Howl*

 “You flatter me,” it replied while wagging its tail.

 I let out a sigh and asked, “Do you have a name?”

 “Give me one!”

 “…that’s rare. Don’t mystical beings such as yourself have a name?”

 “I do have one, but I want Master to give me one!”

 Wolf, and a name…

 “How about Sif?” I asked.

*Argh!*

Suddenly, my right hand was covered in Absolute Frost, and a crest was carved into the back of my hand. It was a symbol I was all too familiar with.

—it was the Shellheart. A Frost Phoenix heart.

 I looked at the wolf I named Sif, and it had the same crest on its paw—a contract between us has now been made.

 “…how come you’ve decided to form a contract with me?” I asked while panting due to the pain caused by Absolute Frost.

 “I have my reasons,” Sif said. “Though, I thought it would be more fulfilling to have a Master.”

 “…..”

 “I’ve met and tried to contract with humans in the past; they were strong warriors, but all died due to not being able to handle the Absolute Frost. Hence, I see potential in you, Master Leon. You were able to withstand the Absolute Frost and even managed to injure me badly.”

 “…you’re strange. Not too long ago, we fought for our lives, and I’m now your master? Isn’t that just… Odd?

 “I believe you’re an odd one as well, Master. You’ve accepted the contract, after all.”

 “There’s no downside to accepting a contract to a mystical beast, is it?”

 Sif chuckeld in amusment. “Except for death upon failure?

 I didn’t respond as I shifted my gaze to Lottie and Rachel, who soon approached. I briefly glanced at Sif again.

—for me, it isn’t a bad deal. But… for you. A terrible one.

 I wonder why he accepted. I highly doubt he’s unaware of my state—that I’m unable to use magic for now. My body has become so strained it is unable to use any magic. I can’t even use Static Field. Not only that... My muscles have been torn, and I’m unable to perform complex movements.

—for now, at least.

 I know that my magic will recover and that my muscles will eventually as well. However… that is a long and tedious process—especially after having overloaded my body with borrowed mana.

 I was well aware of these side effects and can live with them. But it pains me to say this. It can take up to five years to recover. At that point, I’ll already be in The Academy.

if I’m unable to prevent Celia’s fall… then what would be the point of everything I’ve done? I wouldn’t even be able to protect anyone. Especially Lia, who’s from a less prestigious family.

 I have to find other ways. Otherwise, Celia would fall. Lottie would get hurt—wait… Rachel was one of the main causes of those events. Does that mean…?

—those things would not happen?

 As Rachel and Lottie approached, I hugged Rachel.

H-Huh?! B-Brother Leon!? A-Are you certain you c-can hug me this tight?! Doesn’t it hurt?!” Rachel was flustered and spoke rapidly. I didn’t catch it all, but

 “Rachel, you’re a good kid.”

 “…huh?

that’s right… If the current Rachel can get along with Lottie as she’s now. Then that must mean she can get along with Celia as well… As long as she stays the way she is now. Would everything be fine? 

5