Chapter 01 Blood Red
10 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A new town, a new beginning. This was supposed to be the perfect opportunity for me to start fresh. Following years of instability, l finally had a chance to find some peace of mind; a steady and well paid contract, and a comfortable apartment offered to me as part of the job. It felt almost too good to be true, but all of it was very much real.

Two days ago, I received a welcoming letter with some instructions, and the key to my new home. So I wasted no time packing; I took care of all my affairs here in the city, and bid my farewells to the few acquaintances I came to know over the years. Some seemed sad to see me go, others almost ready to celebrate my departure. It made me wonder if any of them ever actually cared about me, or were simply pretending all this time. But it the end, none of it really mattered; this would soon be all behind me, starting my new life in a quiet little town.

And finally, here I was.

It was a long drive; through several large cities, then came the suburbs, and finally a more enjoyable view across the regional park. That was the best part; peaceful and no traffic or aggressive drivers tailing my ass.

It took me about six hours to get here. But from what I could see so far, I could definitely say it was worth the time. This town looked beautiful; it only had one main street, but it seemed to have everything a person may need. There's was a large park right in the middle, a variety of kiosks,  lanterns decorating the many walk paths, and every side roads had trees and flowerbeds. It all looked quaint, but that's what gave it its unique charm.

I didn't see many people walking around though, but it was well past diner time, so I guessed most residents were resting at home. I did notice a few youngsters lost in some silly escapade, and a handful of cats roaming around.

I made my way to my apartment; all I was told, was that it would be spacious, cozy and very quiet. When I finally parked, I was overjoyed; the building alone looked absolutely beautiful, and very well maintained. I couldn't believe my eyes, but that was only the beginning. I carried with me, the necessities for the night; I would bring the rest of my stuff up the next day. The lobby and the entire interior looked like something from the 1940s; it was classy and beautifully decorated. I grab the elevator, and up I went to the third floor.

The lighting was dim, but it was enough to navigate around. I saw an old man sitting in an armchair outside one of the apartments. I waved at him, but he seemed too absorbed in his reading to notice me. So I continued on, and reached door 308. I unlocked the way, and walked inside.

Home sweet home. My eyes widened. The apartment was even better than I imagined: tapestries and old fashioned furniture, a spacious living room and kitchen combo, a bedroom fit for a queen, and a bathroom you'd expect in a luxury hotel. It was a dream come true.

I set up a few things, before proceeding to a nice shower. Over a half hour must've passed; I came out refreshed, I put on a casual outfit, and looked at the time. Everything had been perfect so far, so I decided to push my luck, and go out for a late evening snack.

I left my cozy little haven, and proceeded on foot, back to the main street. In a short time, the town had shifted from quiet to bustling, with a lot more residents strolling around; the ambience felt festive, with the many heavenly scents from the food stalls.

With many to choose from, I went with the one I loved most. Surprisingly though, it was the only one without customers. I walked up to the kiosk, ogling all of the freshly baked pastries.

"Welcome to my stall." Behind the counter was a young man, almost cartoony looking, dressed in a curious attire and wearing a large top hat. "Today is my treat to you, Newcomer." He handed me what looked like a piece of cherry pie; it was topped with whip cream, its filling blood red, and its smell simply exquisite.

I smiled as a thanks, and wasted no time taking a bite. It was pure delight, but what quickly got my attention, was the way the young man looked at me. He had a grin, his eyes the same color as the filling. I wasn't sure what to do, so I politely bowed, and took my leave.

 

8