Chapter 241: Goblin in the mist
598 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mason tried not to cringe at the incredible racket produced by Blake's constructs as they moved down the giant hall. One even slipped down a ramp and slid to the next platform with a metallic screech before righting itself.

"Sorry about that," Blake wiggled a finger in his ear. "Not really built for subtlety. Or agility. In fact they're really just built to fight giant, murderous orc kings. I might need to update."

"Uh huh." Mason kept on eye on the few remaining goblin robots, who happily seemed content to stay on the platforms unless bothered. They had at least one more to deal with on the way down, but he expected the full group to make short work of it.

"Calypsa," he turned to the nymph. "I don't suppose you have any spells to...make those constructs a little quieter?"

The nymph's bright green eyes turned to Blake and his constructs with such disdain it practically dripped. She looked ready to give a speech before she looked away and just said 'no.'

"Secretly, I think she's in love with me," Blake said as he leaned towards Mason and pretended to whisper.

"Right." Mason sighed. "Well, just be ready." He lifted his bow and walked a bit ahead with Becky. "How long would you need to recover your mana? Should we take a rest?"

She frowned. "I ain't like the 'casters'. It comes back real slow. We're talkin' hours. But like I said, protectin' myself is different, a thing that comes back in like...a minute. I just can't...well, do anythin' else."

Mason nodded. It wasn't ideal, obviously, but as long as Becky was safe he didn't mind. They had plenty of firepower, and Calypsa and Blake could protect themselves. Annie...well, frankly he didn't really know, but he figured she could handle herself too.

They took position around the next robot, which didn't move until they touched its platform. Annie was still shaken from the fight so they let her stay back, but between Mason, Streak, Calypsa, and Blake's constructs, they soon hacked and smashed the lone target to bits.

This time they'd broken open the thing's torso, and some kind of fluid gushed out as the pale goblin spilled. The smell was absolutely awful.

"Oh dear God." Blake covered his nose. "It's like that time I locked Mom's horrid cat in a hamper and forgot before we went on holiday." When Becky gave him a judgmental look he shrugged. “I was seven.”

Mason didn't bother to explain how much worse it was for his ever enhancing senses. But he was curious because the goblin hadn't been 'harmed', and yet fell out from its protection like a lifeless corpse.

He had everyone else step back in case of some kind of damn suicidal explosion, then turned the creature over for inspection. The grey flesh practically sloughed off when touched. Mason winced in disgust, moving the tubes and activating Hunter's Mark.

The thing was dead. Very dead. And it had been for considerable time. And yet he had seen it...move, or at least give some sign of awareness in the construct. Flashes of his dreams came uncalled—images of walking corpses fighting men and orcs as the forest around them burned.

"Can you identify any of this?" he asked his brother. Blake came closer with his floating orb and his eyes glazed.

"The construct, yes, and I could bore you with details. But whatever's going on with that goblin...not my thing. Navi here says it's magic. That's all I know."

Mason nodded and led them on, the downward ramps ending at last in a final platform that clearly lowered to the ground level. There was some kind of mist covering the ground and obscuring a clear look, but it stunk a little like the dead goblin, and Mason felt hairs rising all over his body.

"I don't know what's down there, but it might not be pretty. Anyone need a minute before we go?"

The others all shook their heads, except Annie who just shook. Mason had them stand on the platform in a circle before he walked to the lever. "Alright," he said, taking a breath. "Here we go."

He pulled the lever, and with a metallic screech, the giant platform sunk towards the ground.

 

* * *

 

The mist was cold, and unnatural. Mason shivered as it touched his skin, and Apex Predator flared as it nulled his Nature Affinity. Streak whined, and Calypsa clenched a hand around his arm.

"The mist is death, druid. I cannot linger long."

He turned on Shared Pain and at least Streak relaxed, but Mason wasn't sure what to do with Calypsa except send her back up.

"How long do you figure you have?"

"A few minutes. Then I will have to protect myself with magic until I am drained."

"The rest of you? How do you feel?"

"It's unpleasant, but we're fine," Blake said, putting a hand on Annie's shoulder.

"Ain't nothin'," Becky shrugged, her personal shield obviously crackling around her skin.

Mason nodded and gestured for everyone to leave the platform, then he held Calypsa back and pointed at the lever.

"Wait for us up top. If you see anything, just call it out. I'll come back and get you if we move on or if the mist ends."

The nymph nodded, clearly happy to get away from the effect. She flipped the lever and rose back up, and Mason led the others into the mist.

His feet sloshed into something...slimy. Again Apex Predator blinked with Elemental affinity, alongside Transformation.

"Lovely," Mason muttered, holding up a hand. "I think there's acid on the floor. It seems weak, but, yeah."

"My constructs can carry us," Blake suggested, which seemed a good idea unless they suddenly had to fight.

"Just you," Mason said. "Becky and Annie can take it awhile. We'll keep moving. I doubt it's everywhere."

"But I like these shoes," Becky muttered. Mason ignored her. He followed the wall and stepped around the occasional pillar, searching for another path or some reason to even be here.

He was beginning to wonder if Blake's 'luck' had just horribly failed them, and if they should get back on the platform and start going up. But finally the pit 'opened' into another hall, where the mists shrunk to almost nothing, and the acidic pools returned to the usual smooth, metallic surface.

"Alright. I'll go get Calypsa," Mason said. "Wait here and I'll be..."

"Waait!"

A hissing, wretched, goblin-esque voice screeched from the mist with the sounds of splashing acid. Mason's Claws were out as he stood ready between the sound and his friends.

The splashing slowed until red eyes could be seen staring from the mist, along with the sounds of...weeping?

"Must…be brave. Must be brave," the thing muttered, then tip toed again towards Mason until it revealed a body much like the lifeless things trapped in the constructs.

This one had what looked like rubber boots all the way to its hips, but was otherwise naked. If anything it was even skinnier than the things in the containers, its face fleshless and half skull, sharp teeth revealed in little rows.

"You killed them," it rasped, looking like a frightened child as it approached. "The masters. You killed them, I saw."

"Whatever you want, make it quick," Mason said, listening for anything else that might be lurking in the mist. "Because I'm tempted just to kill you."

A little…fluid, leaked down the thing's leg. It closed its eyes, shivering as if it meant to strike but couldn't. "Must be brave. Must. For vengeance."

Mason sighed, not exactly thrilled to kill the pathetic thing, but he was pretty sure he saw where this was going.

"Oh just run away already," he told it, then glanced at his brother. "The longer we're down here the more I'm thinking it's the wrong choice. Your luck might actually be running out. Maybe we should..."

"No! No go up. The bosses hear you, they wait, they kill. Can help you," said the...creature, dropping to its knees and holding out its skeletal hands. "Please. For vengeance. I know...secret ways. To the Big Masters. I know them. I help you. I help you kill them all."

Mason winced and stared. He didn't need to look at Blake to feel the grin.


If you'd like to get access to images of the girls in this story, additional cut steamy scenes, and 10 additional chapters beyond RR, you can subscribe to my PATREON.

Enjoy!


 

18