Chapter One: What did you say?
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ira Chapter One Cover

The small town sits quietly in the moonlight. Sounds only came from the creatures rustling in the forest to the east. A cool blue light bathed the town, with only the small flickers of torches lighting the streets. The orange glow danced against the blue, fighting across the walls, across the dirt roads, across the conventional night. In a matter of seconds, the orange won.

A large explosion erupted from the east. Trees burning in the forest and now in the town when flaming logs crashed into the wall and nearby homes. Young Jack shoots out of bed at the sound of the explosion. He stares out his window at the fire spreading in the distance, until his father burst into the room grabbing him by the arm and tossing him onto his shoulder. Dragged out, barely seeing through the blanket he was draped in. Smoke still found a way to his nose and water streamed from his eyes. The feeling of his skin getting warmer frightened him, but the sound of everything around him was by far the scariest. The sound of the initial explosion was nothing compared to the fright of townsfolk running, the loud commands as people tried to take control of the situation. Jack didn't know fire itself could crackle so loud.

His dad placed him on the street, and turned back to see his house was joining the orange. "Stay here. I am going back for your mom!" his dad exclaimed while already running into the burning building.

"Nooooo! Dad!" Jack screamed as a hand had held him back. "Help! Someone help. Help please! Get him back! Anyone! Please."

"It's too dangerous." Arms wrapped around his shoulder and pulled him back. A long paused followed the deep breath. "We aren't heroes. He will be okay."

Jack didn't know who was holding him, but his eyes were glued to the wooden walls of their home, just waiting on his dad to burst through the flames. He didn't expect to see it come crashing down first.

***

Jack's eyes flew open, and he was already sitting up in his bed. Hands gripping the mattress ends as tight as he can, sweat running down his forehead. It was the same nightmare that haunted him many times in the past but hadn't plagued him in a while. He wondered if anything special was going to happen today, anything good, really hoping it wasn't an omen. A chill shook him from thought, followed by a deep breath. His eyes shift to the window, a clear blue sky. The little salamander scuttled across the window ledge before it spit fire onto a mantis, swallowing the roasted insect. Jack stretched his arms and takes one last deep breath. The sound of the town is bustling. Another day begins and it looks to be a beautiful one.

Jack hurried through his morning routine and rushes down the stairs. He moved quickly through the house only to come to a sudden halt. Turning to his left, he lights an incense next to the one already burning. He clasped his hands together and bowed his head in front of a painting of his mother. He smiled and continues out to the workhouse. The clanking of metal is already at work.

"Dad, did you eat?" Jack exclaimed while bursting the door open. His father sat at the anvil in his wheelchair pounding the red-hot metal into shape.

"Yea and I left some on the table for you," his dad replies as he looked up to see his son smiling with the toasted bread hanging from his mouth.

"Just making sure."

Jack tied a blue cloth across his forehead to stop the wild brown hair from overtaking his face. He slid on black knee height boots over his black pants. The blue long sleeve shirt that was folded before his elbows, revealing a black undershirt running to his wrist, was his chosen outfit. He was slim without much muscle, but it made sense given his mornings normally started out with two slices of toast if he had any at all.

"What is the order of the day?" Jack questions as he picks up a wooden box from the corner.

"Just the weapon and armour we finished repairing has to go to the camp. When you get back, we will finish the work for the tavern."

"Don't strain yourself old man. I'll be back in a minute."

***

Jack quickly ran through the town dodging townsfolk and obstacles with grace. The soft dirt forcing him to drive every step into the ground just a bit harder. The jingle of metal on metal as his cart of crafts fought every micro hill and valley on his path.

"Mr. Sidra!" the voice boomed across the sky. Jack tumbled to the ground, his shoulders tensed up as he sits there contemplating if to run off. He dreaded turning to face the creature that tried to get his attention, Mrs. Nevadere, standing on the porch of her building. She was a tiny, frail old woman that was always hunched back and only stood a couple feet off the ground, but that little body contained the voice of the thunderstorm when ready, and the look on her face explained a storm was coming. He wondered what could have gotten her upset this morning. He prayed it wasn't about the books he was supposed to return weeks ago. "Don't worry I am not calling for you about the books you haven't returned yet," she said to a shocked Jack. Older people really understand things.

"Mrs. Nevadere, you startled me." Jack put his cart to the side and walked up the stairs. "How can I help?"

"Sorry sorry," Mrs. Nevadere said, slowly creeping beside him with her walking stick guiding her. "Where are you off to today?"

They walked into one of the larger buildings in the town. Jack's shoulders finally relaxed as he smelled the old pages of the books lining the shelves. The fragrance was a mix of dust and vanilla, and it always caused his lips to curl into a smile. Today there was also the smell of ink drying in the air. Mrs. Nevadere was probably transcribing documents moments before.

"A trip to the military base is on the schedule for today."

"Miserable soldiers. I say it every day, but it has already been 6 years and they do nothing but walk around entitled. The rotten Sovalan Empire and their strict governance have drained the small villages for too long. A bunch of leeches they are, and I am stuck here writing reports on their exaggerated heroics. If I was in my prime, I would have driven them out of this town already," Mrs. Nevadere said. Her fist and head shake in sync.

"Now now Mrs. Nevadere, they aren't harming anyone really, and they have their hunting parties to fend off dangerous animals. I think it is pretty heroic. Also, our ledgers have been growing greatly since they came to this town," Jack replied. He had a wicked smile on his face while rubbing his palms together.

The old woman gasped before scuttling backwards in a dramatic show of fear. "Have you turned to the dark side Jack? What would your kind mother think if she saw this?" she said as she whacked him across the head with her cane.

"Join me Mrs. Nevadere. We can be villains together." Jack continued on, slowly walking forward in a menacing fashion.

Mrs. Nevadere dropped the act and her face sunk. She was lost in thought for a moment. "She really was a sunlight that always shined across this town, and you remind me so much of her. It's already been 11 years since she left us." Jack dropped the act as his cheeks glowed red. "Uh hmm. Speaking of that compassion, I called you in because I want you to drop these books to Mr. Ace. He asked for them, but they weren't here until today and we both know that I can't climb that hill, and well you know the townsfolk wont. Please and thank you Mr. Sidra."

"Excuse me." A strange soft voice from outside the door caught their ears. The door slowly creaked open to a girl with dark ashen grey hair tied in a bun with one clump gracefully falling over the left side of her face. She wore strange clothing, something that looked like it took time to craft, but the strangest artifact was the seven-point star that pinned her other bang from mirroring the other side. Her eyes were sharp, but didn't seem dangerous, and a deep violet iris sat in the centre of them. "I am sorry for the intrusion. I would just like to ask a few questions if you two can spare the time."

"Enter dear." Mrs. Nevadere welcomed and pulled out a chair. "What can we do for you Miss—"

"Stella, my name is Stella madam," she said while bowing and quickly taking a seat. She reached into a small bag draped at her side. "I was wondering if you have seen anyone who looks like this." She held out a sketch of a younger her. Mrs. Nevadere and Jack closely examined the paper and Stella.

"No Miss I can't say I have," Mrs. Nevadere said. Stella shifted her gazed to Jack.

"Ummmm... I haven't. I am really sorry. She looks like you and I don't think any grey hair traveller has passed through this town recently," Jack nervously responded. His eyes darting back and forth, afraid to see her eyes display disappointment.

"Well." Stella chuckled awkwardly. Her sight was unable to fall on anything. "I don't know if she really looks like this, but anyone even slightly resembling would be a big hint. Please send a message to this address if you see anything."

"How do you not know what they look like?" Mrs. Nevadere questioned. Stella's eyes dropped, and Jack's elbow nudge almost toppled the old lady.

"I just know her name is Luna. She is my sister. Four years younger than me. We were split up not long after she was born...after our parents died, and I heard she was taken by bad people." The tone is Stella's voice changed. She blankly looked upwards at the stack of books. "I don't know if she is doing well or what is going on or if anyone told her she has a sister, but I really want to see her."

Stella paused to see Mrs. Nevadere and Jack eyes glistening with tears and their bottom lips almost swallowed their noses. They were holding each other's hands and simultaneously mumbled about how incredibly tragic that must be.

"It is a bit of a sad story, huh?" Stella softly said in a tone that seemed to comfort them.

"Mhm." The pair shook their head.

"I got a bit carried away. I'm really sorry, today just felt like a reminder of how difficult the task might be but have no fear!" Her finger pointed to the sky and her eyes stared off to the distance with confidence, but it didn't take long before they softened once again. "I will find her. I have to. I really appreciate your time, and I apologise for the long story." Stella took a stand and headed for the door. "Don't forget me please!"

"I hope you find her!" Mrs. Nevadere bellowed in her gorilla monster voice, this time with a slight tremble. Stella backed away with an awkward grin. The door shut.

"That must be terrifying. There are scary people in this world." Jack looked at piece of paper Stella left. "I wish I could have helped her."

"That sounds like you." Mrs. Nevadere collected the books and handed them to Jack. "You know...there are heroes in the world as well. She will find her sister."

***

Jack continued with his day, but he kept worrying about Stella. His thoughts shuffled through hundreds of ideas of what he would do in that situation, but none of it felt right. The address she left was for someone named Claire in the kingdom of Cartina. He didn't know anything about it, but Mrs. Nevadere explained that it is quite the distance away. Was she doing this alone? Each day must feel harder and harder. She must be strong. Before he knew it, he was outside the soldiers' camp.

"Is that the last of the equipment you are bringing back there, partner?"

"Mathias! Yup it's the last from the big hunt. 15 blades and 7 chest pieces...so they have you guarding the gate today?" Jack high fives that soldier walking from the small booth with the large smile. Mathias was Jack's only friend amongst the soldiers. He was scruffy and doesn't stand up straight, very soft spoken and really kind. It was easy to see that he was not like the rest of soldiers in town.

"Stop slacking off!" A voice from the guard tower rumbled. Mathias awkwardly grinned after getting scolded. "You there, hurry up and enter with the cargo."

Jack followed the order and headed for the armoury until a tall well-built guard stopped him.

"These better be good smith. I can't have our blades failing us when the beast is charging. I have to be able to run my blade clean through its neck, maybe I should test it on your neck before I take it out to battle." The guard chuckled.

"Maybe you should Stuart," his slimmer friend chimed in.

"That would be a waste, we are the best hunters around these parts, and he wouldn't even be good bait for the beast that we slay," another guard stated, walking up to Jack's face while sizing him up.

"Boras is right. He always has a great point!" The second thin friend was louder this time.

"Of course. We are always sharp. It is just you, Neil. Dull as these blades." Both of them continued their laughing as they walked away. Neil tried to catch their timing with a laugh, but it stopped before he found it.

Jack just kept his awkward smile on his face without saying a word. This is how most of the soldiers in town often treated the townsfolk, but they did fight terrifyingly strong creatures around the area. He just wished they got better at making fun of people. That was a lie.

He wished he could do what they did. Their strength was something Jack never seen in this town. What he would do to be valuable like that. What he would give to be a hero, he thought. What was he even doing? He snapped out of thought and emptied the goods. A soldier signed off on his ledger and he was on his way.

***

Jack continued to the outskirts of the town. A small cabin sat on top the hill, just before the forest of thick trees hiding the horizon. A small creature with large pointy ears and small sharp horns that started just above its eyes, sat on porch rails. It was small in stature, resembling a ferret and a bunny, besides the half black and half white fur on its face, with a symmetrically vertical line dividing the colours. It had mismatched eyes with blue embedded in the white and the orange in the other. Its body was covered in black fur with all appendages dipped in white.

"Hey Tenny! Is Ace around?" Jack asked while bolting up the stairs.

"He is right inside. He just made a stew. How were your deliveries?" Tenny replied while jumping on Jack's shoulder.

"It was really smooth, but umm...I met this outsider girl who is looking for her sister," Jack paused, and his voice changed. "It was pretty sad. Do you think you can do anything about it since you're a Mystical, Tenny?"

"I'm sorry Jack, my magic is really limited. I don't know any creature or spell that can find someone," Tenny replied, staring upwards pondering.

"Oh, I understand. Thanks, I was curious," Jack said. He patted Tenny on the head. "Ace! I am coming in!"

He opened the door to one thing that relaxed his shoulders more than the library. The smell of Ace's cooking filled the small house, starting in the kitchen, flowing in the open room above the one table and four chairs that sat in the corner. He wondered if the smell travelled up the stairs as well.

"Jack! Take a seat and eat before you have to go again. How were your deliveries today?" Ace asked while passing a bowl to the guest taking a seat. Ace looked to be young, probably mid-twenties not really changing much for the years that Jack knew him. He had short black wavy hair, combed to the side that tried to be kept as neat as possible, but a few strands always seemed to rebel. He wore black shorts and slippers and a red short sleeved t-shirt that looked light and comfortable. That was probably the best way to describe him, comfortable, and mostly sporting a big smile on his face. The only things that didn't fit the image was the long necklace with a single black pearl at the end, the white bandage covering his left forearm, and the gigantic moustache that curled off his face.

"It was a really normal besides meeting a girl from outside the village. She looked like royalty. Do you have any books to return to Mrs. Nevadere by the way? She sent these over...I see you are looking at history of Astrona and an older technology book."

"That is really interesting, this village rarely gets visitors, and yea, but I will return them later this evening. Your eyes are as keen as ever. You read these already? You should experience some more things in person. Don't you want to see the world a bit? Once you aren't work—" Ace deep grey eyes seem to be staring at the past. Jack let him gather his thoughts. The tone in his voice shifted. "How is your dad?"

"Yeah, I think I read those last year, I'm not sure who would borrow it after me." Jack looked Ace directly in the eyes and tried to sound as mature as he could. "He is doing well. He asked about you. You can stop blaming yourself. I know most of the townsfolk don't talk to you. They seem like they are afraid, but most are very grateful for all the help you provided after the explosion. It's been 6 years, it's hard to hold a grudge on someone who only showed remorse after 6 years. Besides...he ran back in that house for the painting."

"Yeah, I really appreciate your words. It...it just...it will always be heavy. Not everyone made it out of that night."

"I imagine it is, but I think you are the one scared to put it down."

"Huh, I think you are right." Ace looked over at the Mystical Creature wolfing down the stew. His eyes caught theirs and twisted his head. "Yea...I really think you are right."

"What?" Tenny asked.

"Sorry...I was just thinking...but you are right Jack. Damn, is the door open? Where did all this negativity come from? Gosh, let's enjoy some delicious stew and dream of the future," Ace said before immediately tripping and spilling his bowl on himself.

"Tenny! Give me some of yours!" Ace reached upwards from the ground covered in vegetables.

"No way!"

Jack laughed at his clumsy friend. Why would he be a hero and trade a life like this? He can visit anytime and eat great food. His dad was working hard at home, but it would be nice to carve his own path. His thoughts interrupted by Tenny running in front of him, keeping his bowl out of Ace's reach. Yea, it couldn't get much better than this, could it?

***

On the way home Jack peacefully walked through the town. Each step dragging as his mind walked in the fields among animals. In the streets of Cartina. What would those streets look like? Jack was drawn back to his dirt roads by the whispers of the villagers passing by. Seems there is something going on in town. Jack continues back to the workshop, but the commotion got louder.

"I am really sorry. We cannot allow you to enter the base." Jack recognised Mathias's voice in the group.

"Then just let me speak to the commanding officer at the base. I just need information."

Jack pushed through the group of people to see Stella confronting his frantic soldier friend. Mathias awkwardly grinned in his usual manner as he tried to resolve the problem. Stella stood firm with her arms on her hips.

"I will go tell him and bring him here if you just wait a moment." Mathias perked up realising that this could be solved.

"You think our captain has time to speak with you." Boras walked forward. Stuart and Neil followed closely, grinning mischievously. "And you just thought to bring the captain out. What if this is a trap? What if she is an assassin, or what if there is a team waiting on a signal?"

"I assure you, Sir, I am just looking for this girl. Your captain might have resources to help find her."

"Huh! You take me for a fool. Anyone can walk with a piece of paper claiming anything to get into the base. If what you say is true, why don't you just come with me, and I will decide," Boras said as he began to grin. He reached for her hand. Stella quickly jumped back and placed her palm close to the ground. A human sized yellow rectangle a couple inches thick with a faint glow appeared in front her and Boras. The sudden wall made the soldier fall backwards. "This is assault on an officer!"

In a fast tempo, Stuart and Neil circled the wall and lunged at her with swords in hand. Stella gracefully ducked under the swing aimed at her head while also stopping the blade aimed at her stomach with her small dagger. She slid her weapon to the hilt of Neil's sword to grab his wrist and pull him off balance. Stuart quickly pounced again, swinging his sword, but Stella danced away. As she stepped back, Boras ran from the side and placed his hand on the ground creating a large yellow wall himself. The yellow light elevated him roughly twice the height of Stella. He leaped off and aimed his palms downward forming a large red orb that shot at her. Stella rolled backwards as the spell tore into the dirt, but Neil was waiting and swung his sword from over his head. She raised her hand to the blade and just before contact, a large gust of green light spun out her palm pushing Neil into the air. Stuart began charging at her again and Stella ran towards him head on. She looked like she was going to run into his blade, but she shot to the side using the green gust and launched a large ball of blue with some yellow speckles into Stuarts ribs. Boras stood there not moving forward. The frustration on his face was visible to the entire crowd.

"Can we stop this now. I really just want to talk to the captain." Stella stretched her arms to the side as she walked forward. Jack's eyes were glued forward. He couldn't spot a drop of sweat. How could it be that effortless?

"You think you can attack the officers of the Sovalan Empire and make demands!" Boras exclaimed. The entire crowd inched back.

"Boss, I think she has to be important! I have never seen anyone use Ice Mimics before and look at that hair pin," Stuart said between breaths and his hands on his knees.

"It doesn't matter. If she was that important, then she would have known the consequences," Boras continued. Soldiers rushed through the crowd and circled around her. Spears pointed ahead, approaching slowly. Stella just stood there. Her eyebrows pushed down onto her eyes. Jack was drawn in, that looked like discontent, not fear. She was so cool. The air felt different. Wisps were shifting. Jack knew something big was going to happen. "Capture her!"

A wooden crate crashed into a couple of soldiers behind Stella and a flash of red appeared in front of Boras. Jack, suddenly in front of the girl, grabbed her wrist and dragged her forward barely slipping by. "We have to get out of here quickly. If we can hide until sundown, you can probably escape to another town."

"What are you doing! I could have handled them! Now you are going to be arrested!" Stella protested while being dragged away.

What was he doing? It was too late now, and the warmth of her hand kept reminding him that there was no time to regret.

"I'm not much of a fighter so I am definitely scared, but even I could tell you was capable of taking them all down," Jack said, smiling until the tone in his voice shifted. "But what if the crowd got caught up in the fight? I just didn't want to risk anything happening to anyone." His tone returned to excitement. "Don't worry about me, I'm really quick."

Stella was shocked as she thought back to the encounter. "Okay let's go. What is your name?"

"Jack." He released her hand and took on a couple of steps ahead. Stella could tell that he was holding back his speed for her. He moved over and through the crowds and obstacles with fluidity. He really was quick, but it all came to a stop in an instant. Standing in the centre of the town square, in front of the fountain, was a mountain of a man.

Captain Rodriguez seemed to be patiently waiting, but how could he be ahead of them? How could he be waiting? He never broke eye contact with the pair. He wore normal under armour gear with the crest of Sovalan stitched into the front. The three red dots sitting on an upside-down red triangle stood proudly on his chest, and reminded the two that they were in serious trouble. The scars running down his arms, into every rise and valley of muscle added to the most intimidating presence Jack has ever come across.

"You do realise that you have attacked the army in my town. You have attacked my commandment. You both are going to have to come with me," the man calmly said while moving forward. "If there is no struggle then I supposed some public punishment and a little jail time should suffice. You have to understand, we cannot let anyone think they can incite a small rebellion and get away."

Jack felt the sweat dripping from his forehead. Even Stella didn't look as calm and collected as before. She wouldn't be able to hold back in a fight like this Jack thought. She just has to get away. "Please don't try and fight. He is the captain of this base for a reason."

"I don't intend to fight. You were right last time. A lot of people would get dragged into this battle. I'll turn myself in and explain how you just ran away to protect the people," Stella said, closing her hand into a tight fist. Jack could see an entire story filled with regret behind those words.

"Take me instead! I can serve time for the both of us!" Jack exclaimed towards the army captain. He placed his arm in front of Stella in a feeble attempt to shield her from the approaching soldier.

"What are you doing?" Stella exclaimed. This didn't make any sense, but Jack couldn't stop thinking about how sad she looked earlier today.

"You have to go find her as soon as possible." Jack wore a soft smile.

"You think you have a choice," the deep voice grumbled by Jacks ear. Captain Rodriguez was behind both of them without them noticing. A green trail of light from his initial position was all that was in front of them. He placed his massive hands on both of their shoulders. "You both are involved in this. Do not make me repeat myself."

Jack instantly raised his palm and red orbs gathered as quickly as he could will it. The red glow was smashed into Rodriguez's hand, spreading outward when he gripped Jack's palm. The captain's lips climbed into a large menacing smile. He stared directly into Jack's eyes. "You have really done it now."

Stella, without hesitation, buried her heel into his stomach before jumping away. She had seen a wall budge more than this man. He tossed Jack into her causing both criminals to hit the ground, rolling just before the fountain. They quickly sat up but froze as what seemed like the worst decision in their life walked slowly towards them with the same sharp grin. Jack felt his breath get shorter. The sweat dripped onto the dirt ground that he dug his fingers into in an attempt to keep his body up. What was he doing? How did this happen?

A black cloth flashed through the air. It draped over a familiar red top with the black sleeves of the jacket hanging from his forearms. A familiar grin crowned with a thick moustache crouched right in front of them, in the way of the now paused captain.

"Hey, I was thinking today, and I decided I would need your help. If you guys are up for it, do you think you can help me save the world?"

0