Chapter Thirty Six: Can you describe it?(Null Tournament Arc)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What should we do now?" a sonorous tone spoke his words.

"Jac...urm Ed, I am sure you can go explore." Tana chuckled, after waiting for a confirmation from the rest of the team. "We can meet back here...probably sunset?"

"Sounds like a plan. Should we go in teams?" Jack asked. "I want to see as much as I can, so who is with me?"

"I am going to try as much food as I can." Ace made his case.

"Food," Tenny.

"Food," Tana.

"I'll go with Jack," Stella.

"Ace." King turned red again.

"It's Tyr, but you don't even eat much, Ren. You sure you don't want to come with us?" Jack asked.

"I feel nervous. Maybe next time?"

Luna walked over and took Stella's sleeve. Everyone gasped. Stella's eyes gathered water as she raised her chin in an attempt to keep the tears from escaping. "You are choosing me over food?"

"No fight," Luna answered. She pointed to The Hummingbird. Everyone laughed at the brave reapers sacrifice in the name of peace. Her bottom lip reaching for her nose expressed her hurt their laughs bestowed.

"We will save you some Luna. Thank you for going with them," Tana said to then be embraced with a hug.

"It's Lana...never mind." Jack extended his hand. "Right here...sunset."

"Sunset." Ace met his knuckles.

Jack didn't look back until he didn't recognise the bald man twice his height and size walking beside him where Stella or Luna should be. His walking...or skipping must have just been ahead of the pace, but he was consciously holding back. Jack twisted around to see Stella dragging Luna with both hands as the younger Ursa dug her heels into the ground, aiming from the direction they came.

"Lana, we have tokens too," Jack called. Luna twisted quickly enough for Stella to fall back. "We can get food while we are walking."

They were off...all together this time. People moving in swarms from location to location like it was a daily routine. Only a few groups looked to be leisurely progressing like them. Jack couldn't keep his head in one direction for too long. The buildings were made of shaped stone or bricks, some plastered and some exposed. There was more freedom to these buildings than the other places he has seen. Not just surface level additions but the entire architecture was creative. There were even wooden houses spotted in gaps of mineral buildings with variations of roofs to literally top it off. All of these sights but Jack's eyes kept looking in the distance towards the arena. The four massive hands casting magic to the sky.

"It doesn't really make sense does it." Stella grabbed Jack attention.

"The arena?"

"The hands. You can't hold earth mimics like that. They messed it up," Stella mentioned before being dragged to a food stall by Luna. Jack joined them opening his pouch to pay for the lamb filled wrap. They all melted with their first bite. Tells was a wonderful place.

"I hate this place!" The three turned to a man marching down the street. His eyes looked red and sunken. His body gaunt like he didn't enjoy much lamb wraps in his time at Tells.

"Looks like his luck played him bad," the stand owner said to himself.

"Sorry, can you explain more?" Jack inquired.

"New to town? The arena is a blessing and a curse. Be careful if you visit it, a lot of people want to flip their life around with gambling. There have been many a folk like that one."

Jack wasn't sure why, but he suddenly felt conscious of the heated kingdom. He looked around to the people to see their expressions were quite mixed. Some looked to be on top of the world, but a lot seemed to be dragging their way through the day. Even some of the eager ones looked to be drained of life as they quickly made their way to places, they didn't want to be.

"You always get like this when we enter somewhere new. Fear not country boy, we won't be gambling." Stella pushed him into a little stumble.

"You are right. I knew you would be really excited to see the arena, but the rest of the kingdom is really amazing too."

"Cartina is often busy like this, so I can't say I am that excited by everything else. The commerce is of course different, and I hope to check some stuff out with Tana when we get time, but how could the arena not be your burning desire. I know recently it may not seem like it, but Jack, we are strong."

Luna nodded in agreement, but a few eavesdroppers chuckled. Jack felt his heart twist, but the two Ursas wore an unbothered expression to perfection. Stella's eyes still sparkling with obvious daydreams of the arena behind them. She was so cool.

"Let's go see for ourselves."

"Really? Right now? Yes!" Stella had a slight hop in her step. It almost held up for the hour it took them to get close to their goal but their trip halted.

The muffled arena commentary was now clear as can be, and unnervingly loud. Jack never heard a voice boom across his chest like this one. The energy when describing big moments in an ongoing match led to a battle of voices from the massive crowd that lingered around. Elation mixed with displeasure. Some tried to forcibly talk to each other while the others bit their knuckles as they stared at colossal structure like they could see inside.

Despite all these factors, the voice of two crying children made it to Jack ears. Maybe it was his swivelling head that saw the image and only imagine the sound when he processed it, but he walked over with his friends in tow. An orange hair boy was stooped in front of the children when Jack arrived.

"Please Sir. Please," the young brown-haired boy begged between tears. His bawling younger sister was holding his hand and a battered stuff animal in her other.

"Don't waste my time kid." The other boy stood up. He might have been younger than Jack but not by much. His eyes were thin and hawked, holding onto a look of anger. Jack felt the stare go through him in the instant it took the boy to scoff and turn away. He pulled his zipped collar from under his chin high enough to conceal his frown and made his way past a frozen Jack. Stella locked onto his cold stare and let shoulder prove her prowess against his when walking ahead.

"Can I try and help? What's wrong?" Jack kneeled.

"Please Mister. Please help us." The boy tried to recover quickly, but he looked broken down after he was just turned away. "My mom told us...to stay inside...but we wanted apple pies from that mister, and we came...and Snuffles ran away."

"Snuffles?" Jack and Stella harmonised.

"Our cat. Our cat Snuffles."

"Find Snuwffwell." The young one tried to hand them the stuff animal dripping with smells.

"What does he look like?" Jack sighed.

"He has white and orange fur. Orange around one of his eyes. I don't know what's right and left. Please find Snuffles, Mom will be really really mad."

"Is that even possible?" Jack asked.

"Please, please please. I will die." A young boy wiped the snot from his face. His younger sister next to him in full tears.

"Okay, okay, I will try." Jack gave a soft smile. Stella's mouth opened to input but a voice from over her shoulder arrived first.

"Leave it to me, young man," a tall man with deep blue flowing spikes for hair, piercing blue eyes and a white scarf covering his mouth and forehead, replied, "I am better suited for the job."

It was a split second, but Jack was being dragged away without going further from this man. The ground felt like it didn't want to be under him. His heart banged against his chest and sweat collected on the top of his head. He looked to Stella, but she was calm. No reaction. What was going on?

"I don't want to spend my evening on a chase, so I think you two can handle it." Stella slapped Jack on the shoulder. How did she not feel that? Was her awareness that bad? Did that man aim that at him?

"Woah!" A voice startled Jack from behind. A girl around their age with two knots of bright red hair topped her head like animal ears. Her smile and eyes were thin, but Jack felt the intensity of it looking through him. She took out a piece of candy and slipped it behind her smile before speaking again. "I definitely felt that. That was crazy."

The girl walked over to the children before handing them wrapped candy. They held it in their hands, and the last remnants of their tears hit the ground. "Do you mind if I help?"

"I likes the sound of that. I was going to say that we see who can finds it first. Whatchya think headband?" the tall man called.

"Who are you two?" Jack stepped back so a small head twist would alternate his view.

"I'm Liu. I was just passing by when I felt that mana. It felt like it was aimed. I am curious about you." She looked at mysterious man. "And who would be so interesting to have that aimed at them...outside the arena."

"I'm Ed. What was that about?"

"Hmmm, I am not sure if you noticed, but I am in disguise, but you can call me Blue," the tall man answered.

"I get it, because of your hair," Liu said.

"Look at you finally paying attention, but no. It is because I am a bit sad that I can't tell you my real name." The tall man laughed to himself. "You see I am one of the most wanted men in the empire, but I like to help people. I also like to have fun, so what do you say headband...I mean Ed. Want to fly through the kingdom and see who can find the cat first?"

Jack felt a ferocity behind the cryptic blue eyes. Liu walked beside Jack and leaned on him. "You sure are interested in this guy. Should I know you? Never mind, it will be both of us against you. What do you think Blue?"

"Sure, the more the merrier." Blue looked at Stella, but her hands went up and expression made it clear that it would be one vs two. Luna held onto her. "You guys can get a head start."

Jack locked eyes with his green-eyed partner. They both flashed away, with Jack's motion coming from a Mana Step that placed his foot onto a wall nearby. Liu was ahead of him with a green trail pushing her, but Jack summoned enough green to soar into first effortlessly. He kept to the edge looking down into the crowded streets while keeping his high speed. How does Tenny see anything like this?

Liu was just behind him, no longer relying on mimics, but her breath came in waves and words fighting to escape. Jack adjusted his speed. "You...are...really...fast," the girl struggled.

"Thanks." Jack chuckled. "Should we be running side by side? Shouldn't we split up, cover more ground."

"We should...stick...together...I...don't trust—"

"Me?"

Their heads twisted forward, and feet tried to stop them, as roof tiles pitched into the air. Blue stood in front with his hands on his hips while watching the two about to crash into him. Jack grabbed onto Liu and twisted in front of her, one hand blasting green into their footing and another wrapped around her in case Blue decided to send them flying.

"Why?" Liu murmured before shoving Jack off. He couldn't focus on the contempt etched into her features, he had to see what his opponent was doing.

"What are you doing?" Blue laughed.

"What are you doing? Who are you? How did you get—" Jack angered, but surprisingly relieved by the boisterous laugh in front of them. He let his body reflect the same feeling.

"I thought about it and just running around the kingdom alone wouldn't be fun. Why don't we all look for the cat together, and once he is spotted, then we see who can catch him. Don't worry I will give you a head start again."

Jack looked to Liu, who met his look with a shrug. Jack's nod was then met with a thumbs up from man. Jack strengthened his voice. "If we win, you have to tell us who you are."

"I can live with that, but if I win, then...I don't really want anything." Blue chuckled. "This is plenty fun for me already. By the way, you should be calling its name, you won't find it looking like that."

"Snuffles, was it?" Liu asked. Jack nodded.

"You guys keep calling and I have really good eyes, so let's move quickly. Keep up," Blue said.

Jack heard those words often enough in recent memory, and it always came with excitement. More than enough to draw a smile that alerted Blue to take off. Jack after. Neither noticing the strong frown on Liu's face at the idea, but nevertheless she tried her best.

"Snuffles!" Jack yelled as loud as he could. His eyes on the path their forerunner travelled. Jack could tell that he was holding back his speed, with no signs of mimics. A cycle of Mana Steps into Wind Walk was needed just to barely stay behind him. Liu was off in the distance, but her determination dragged her body forward. She was calling for Snuffles before, but she had to conserve any breathe left to not lose to the two psychos flying through the rooftops.

It would have been a lie to say Jack didn't think about doing this when he first set foot in Tellacules, but it was nothing more than a daydream. He expected to just see the kingdom normally, but he loved rushing by the wind, stepping onto the different buildings with his fingers picking up on all kind of textures while dodging and scaling the townscape. The different angles he would get to see things at, the foreboding buildings from the city behind them, and the outstretched grey clouds releasing snowflakes that can't reach them in this warmed conurbation.

"Snuffles!" Jack called again, but a stopped Blue and hand upward notified him to hold his voice from the second call. "Found him?"

"No but take a look at that." Blue crouched at the edge and pointed to four men surrounding another. The largest one was holding the isolated against the wall by his shirt.

"You two are crazy! We have been all around the Kingdom!" Liu said after catching up. Jack raised a finger to his lips that signalled to the girl to join them in spying. "Is it a robbery? I have heard a lot of things like this happens in Tells."

"It's not a robbery, but you are right about Tells being a place like that," Blue said, "I have been following these men for a bit. You see that tattoo on the big one's shoulder. The eagle with a chain. It's a symbol for a new troublesome group that most haven't heard about yet. Any animal with a chain on it has a high chance of them being in that group or some just wear chains as a fashion statement to identify each other, but it helps me spot them too. Since I don't like them stepping into my territory, but I can't let them know I am here, what do you say J...Ed?"

"I am...I don't want to get in trouble," Jack muttered.

"Trouble? You are saving someone from getting hurt." Blue looked at him, but Jack's eyes were focused on action below. He had a hard time swallowing. It is impossible when it is right in front of him.

"I will do a Landing Pool. If you want to join me," Jack said.

"Now we are playing my game." Liu smiled.

Jack leapt from the roof and dived toward the ground in the narrow alleyway. Blue orbs gathering fast into his palm until a massive sphere three times his size was in front of him. When the blue light touched the ground, the caster went through with his ally soon after. The blue sphere scattered into thousands of specs revealing a charging Jack and Liu.

Their targets braced with a stance and readied their hands. Jack was able to duck one of the sharp jabs, but his forearm was met with an upward hook that twisted him off. Without losing much momentum, Jack dashed from the stumble into big opponent, believing in his companion behind him.

Liu stepped past a punch but only one foot went ahead. A wide stance and raised palms allowed her to guide any on coming punch away, drawing in their jaws in place of their attacks. Jack was able to flow between his two victims, a basic combination was enough to keep one at a distance and place the big one on the ground. The ease of his fight was allowing him to keep an eye on the different fighting style of Liu. It was almost dangerous to be drawn in this much, but to Jack's luck, the standing opponent took his chance with the girl that pushed her knuckles into his stomach, elbow to jaw. She had one more.

Jack looked up to see Blue clapping on the edge of the roof, and only caught a glimpse of the isolated man making a run for it while his attackers were dealt with. Jack turned to stop him, but he already broke the corner. It was only a second but when Jack faced his friend again, the last offender had his head pressed against the stone wall with Liu's hand still pinning it there. Jack clicked his tongue, looked like he missed the best one.

"That was perfect! Great job! Let me treat you to Ice Cream!" Blue called from the top.

***

Jack sighed as his heel clicked the edge of the tallest building they could find. They did check all over, and there was no luck. He should take a check around the arena one more time before breaking the news. For now, he would wait on whatever Ice Cream is and look at the view he never could get in his village. A landscape filled of stone and tile. Plaster and clay holding back the falling sun's rays that finally escaped the snow clouds. All of sights surrounded by more stone. The muffled voice of the arena not able to reach them here. The amazing structure that is the arena. He has come far since leaving home.

"Why did you jump in front of me today?" Liu asked.

"It was a reflex. When I saw Bl—"

"A reflex to protect others instead of yourself. Are you stupid?"

"Huh?"

"I am from a village where everyone is a fighter. Despite having our ledgers, we all use most of our free time to fight—"

"Daiyu." Blue appeared holding two coloured cylinders on a wooden stick. A green for Jack, red for Liu and none for Blue. Probably to avoid removing his scarf. "I recognised the way you fight. They say it has blended into a ton of new styles, but the original is still recognisable."

"Sounds like you have been around the continent," Liu said. Taking part in her treat. Jack joined in and his eyes widened. He looked at the other two, but their manner hadn't changed in the slightest. He wasn't sure why, but he felt like he couldn't express his enjoyment in this moment, but it was bliss. He didn't even mind the lecture he felt coming on.

"You don't become one of the most wanted in the world without seeing some of the world." Blue laughed. "Weren't you saying something Liu?"

Jack looked up at the tall man with scorn. Liu turned to Jack. "I got lost cause of the Ice Cream."

Jack felt elation spring from his stomach. A chance. "I know right! This is so good. Where did you get it? How many tokens was it?"

"Ha. That's right, you wouldn't know much about cold boxes. They are all over Tells, you just have to look for buildings not stalls." Jack greedily chomped at it when he noticed it melting, only to feel his head contract into itself. Cold.

"We aren't changing the subject. I was saying that in a village filled with warriors, there is a lot of pride. Selfish actions, but there are few that believe in heroics. Many want to do good with their power, but none are stupid enough to get themselves killed in a situation that wouldn't change the outcome."

Jack felt his entire body stutter. None of his own words formed in his head, only the repeating of the last sentence.

"Good, it looks like you are thinking about it," Liu continued, "Don't die a useless death because of some misguided heroics. Staying alive to fight is more usefu—"

"Useless? You think dying for someone is useless," Jack growled. His ice cream plummeted below as one hand gripped the ledge and the other gripped onto Liu's shirt. His knuckles pushing just below her chin. Her ice cream made the same journey to the ground when she used her strength to pull Jack's hand slightly away. They both wrestling with the tension, waiting for another word. Blue waiting on the same thing as his eyes danced between the two. "How can you disrespect someone's sacrifice so easily? What do you know, huh?"

"You can only be this upset because you know it is true." Liu strained her voice a bit. "You know you are disappointed by whoever died without achieving anything. Leaving their goals behind in some noble sacrifice. You know it is the truth, because you still think about what it would be like if they were alive."

Jack released her shirt, snapping back to his senses. He wasn't proud of his aggression, but he didn't regret it. He had a reason to be upset. He had a reason to hate that situation. To hate Vidar, and The Dog. To hate himself. To hate...Ace? Noa? How many things could have been different? Why did he have to die?

"It stays with us, but what if they could have stayed alive? What if they got out of the way too, or if they didn't need to stay behind? What if they just thought about themselves so they could help us later on when we need it again? Noble should never go with sacrifice. I rather be here after the world burns and help bring it back with my own strength than give my life without knowing if the world will be saved. Every sacrifice of a life is just foolish."

Jack held her every word in his chest. He agreed with some words he hated so much. So very much. "But, how can we hate someone who gave up everything for us. That isn't fair."

"I never said I hate them. I hate what they did. It's because I have a love for them that this hurts. That I feel this way. It isn't just us Ed, a lot of people have lost others unfairly, but you are in one of the best places for that. It is why I came to Tells, to get stronger, and prove myself."

"Oh, the ritual!" Blue decided to jump in. "That makes sense."

"Ritual?" Jack asked. His chest burning and mind heavy but hearing more kept him from his own judgements.

"Yea. I want to join the military, and whenever someone from Daiyu decides to move forward from being a trainee, then we do a ritual. Most go on hunts nearby the village or take on a difficult task. I decided on fighting in the arena until I prove my worth."

Jack felt his nerves calm down. Liu's eyes were unwavering, staying on his gaze until he looked away. Her words were strong and the subtle sass he grown accustomed to hearing in Stella's voice was non-existent here. Liu was giving advice she truly believed in for a good cause, despite her ideals and struggles, she took time to help him.

"I am sorry about earlier. You were spot on. I was angry because it was true. I can't say I fully agree, especially with the world burning part, but I feel like I learned something."

"I wish you agreed fully, but I can live with it. I'll take two Ice Creams as payment, since you already owe me one."

"Well, that turned out great, don't you think." Blue's laugh was a bit muffled behind his scarf. The high winds must have been the cause of the new interference. It made Jack question this entire situation.

"What are we doing? I am glad to meet you two, but this entire circumstance is weird." Jack had both green and blue eyes locked onto him. "I also feel bad for Snuffles."

"Oh, don't worry about Snuffles. He was found not to long after we left," Blue mentioned.

"What!" The opposing team yelled.

"Oh yea. Before I even caught up to you." Blue's laugh stung this time.

"So why did you?" Liu started.

"Why did you join us?" Blue asked her.

"I was curious about you. Someone that can point mana so well is rare. I want to get stronger, so I couldn't pass up an opportunity to find out more."

"How do you do that? You can point mana? Wait!" Jack twisted his head so fast he almost tumbled off the edge. "If you knew Snuffles was found, why did you make me call for him?"

"Ha! That was hilarious. I wanted to laugh so hard while running, but you would have caught on." Blue wiped the single tear from his eyes. "But yea, pointing is pretty easy once you do it once or twice. Getting to that level is the tricky part." Blue pointed a finger at Jack and one at Liu. "Whoosh!"

There it was again. Jack felt like he was falling from a chair, but only his head. Like everything rushed past him and his bearings lost, but his vision was clear, and he knew he wasn't moving. It lasted less than a second, but Jack's stomach already flipped dozens of times before returning to normal. He desperately didn't want to be affected after being made fun of, but it was amazing.

"That is crazy," Jack said.

"If mana gathers in a point small enough, then the wisp that run away basically travel in a straight line. If it's too large of a point or held too long then wisps run from all over, and you can't really aim it."

"That must be what a terror punch feels like," Jack said.

"Not even a little." Blue finally took a seat next to Jack. Jack was wondering why he was standing the entire time. "Any terror level move is way crazier. I am surprised that you know about terror stuff and not a point thingy."

"My mentor knows about that stuff, but he can't really do it for strange reasons I can't explain. He is strong but limited."

"That sounds crazier than this entire situation. Even berserkers can use terror moves, so why can't your mentor. Are you sure that he is strong?" Liu asked.

"Ah your mentor." Blue looked off into the distance. Jack was getting used to that random sparkle in the mystery man's eye. "I would like to meet him a day."

"I am sorry, but this is way too weird. Do you know me? Why do you sound so familiar with what I am talking about."

Blue looked passed Jack and locked eyes with the greens. "Do you know who this is?" Liu shook her head. Blue locked eyes with the orange this time. "Aren't you Edward Acsan, they call you The Hermit. An up-and-coming mage from the west?"

"Who?" Jack looked at the sparkling eyes of the very confused man. "I am sorry, but you have the wrong person."

"Oh wow, this is embarrassing." Blue hid the sparkles with his forearm. Liu couldn't help but fall about laughing. Quite the dangerous sight. "I wanted to show Ed the situation with Tells. See if he had any opinions on it."

"What do you mean? Sorry, I know it isn't meant for me, but I think Tells is pretty amazing," Jack answered anyway.

"I think so too. We even ran on the rooftops without any soldiers coming after us! It is because this is a warrior's kingdom so it isn't out of the ordinary," Liu mentioned. Jack tinted red. Grateful for all the special circumstances that allowed him to run on rooftops wherever he went.

"Amazing indeed, but of course there would be more under the surface. Like literally, there is a collection of Syng Tools under the kingdom that release hot air to keep it all warm and snow free. Magically powered by the efforts of The Power Bank. Warriors come from all over to fight and earn, but without ledgers, can we be sure it is all they earn? Maybe they can earn a little more that way."

"I get it. There is definitely more than meets the eye." Jack pondered, looking at the swarms of people below, no visible faces, but thousands of stories walking to further it.

"Exactly. Those guys that you stopped today, they are involved in some troublesome operations. Operations that could probably only happen in Tellacules. I wanted you to keep an eye out. No specific reason besides that. They are here in Tells for a reason and I can't figure out why without getting caught. I just thought it would be interesting to see what Ed would do if he found that reason first."

"This Edward guy sounds interesting," Liu said, "Sucks that he got the wrong one."

"It really does," Blue said while standing up, "I got some stuff to do, so I will take my leave. Thanks for the day."

"Thanks for the Ice Cream, Blue." Liu nudged Jack.

"Yea, sorry about that. Thanks for today and the lesson." Jack smiled.

Blue bent down and came close to Jack's ear. "I was guessing you don't want people to know, so I am telling you now. There is a dangerous game that has been going on in the empire before you got involved with it. You jumped in at a crazy time but show me something fun Hummingbird."

The mysterious man was gone. The wide eyes of Jack were the only evidence of him being there a second ago. "He knew me," Jack softly uttered.

"Wait, you are The Hermit?"

"No," Jack said, "I don't know what is going on, but I have to go find my mentor."

0