Chapter Forty: Has this happened before?(Null Tournament Arc)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stella felt uneasy looking around the circle at the mostly calm faces. Veterans? Her eyes stopping on the black abyss slotted in the metallic helmet. Voids that were staring directly into her eyes. Her view only obstructed by the old man lending his mana to the show. The commentator did his job to loud ovations and her friend working her new job looked concerned when staring back at her. Was she wearing worry?

She raised a leg and waggled the worry from it. A wiggle on the other leg and stretch of her arms was enough to change her expression. A sharp smile owned her face and looking at the still mask next to her relaxed her nerves. The concerned friend smiled and continued her job of pointing and being cheered at, her skin tinging red every time her eyes fell on a certain section. Stella looked past the mask in the circle to see an orange haired combatant grinding his teeth. His entire being looked more rigid than the stage, his eyes focused on the armoured man. The other side of Stella was a combatant that was void of any urgency, only focusing his eyes on her and a soft smile at any expression she returned. That is not her concern.

Stella turned to the old man off the stage. His hands on the hourglass. She just needed to attack and then rest. Make her name and live off the reputation. Once they say fight, make some noise. Once they say fight, one eye over there is going to get it. Once they say fight. Come on and say fight. Waiting on the simple word...

"Fight!"

Mana rushed down her leg. The heel of her boot cracked the tile and her first step put her in half the distance to the one-eyed man staring at her. His body yet to move. His expression was blank, and his first step was only an inch forward. Stella summoned green and scattered it in front of her causing her boots to skid on the stage. Her paused body only twisted to look at around two thirds of the competitors, all taking their time to huddle up. No semblance of fight in them. Stella stepped back towards the centre of the ring, where her back met Ophelia. Roland, Zeke, twin girls, and three unfamiliar guys, joined their defensive huddle.

"Heyahaahhahhhhhahahahahahhhahah!" Turned all of their heads. The blood curdling screeching laugh distorted by the coned beak of the metal helmet stunned the entire arena. Stella felt her pores raise. This is bad.

***

"What the hell is going on?" Ace fretted. His sales companions all focused on the slow devouring of space by the armed circle.

"That doesn't look good. That's like double the people against them. We should have formed a bigger team." Tenny scoffed.

"I don't like this, Ten. It can be dangerous," Ace said.

"Oh, they have more this time." A nearby voice perked up 3 pairs of ears. Luna pointing to the source.

"Good day good Sir I heard you say 'this time' and I was wondering if you could quite possibly if you would kindly explain what you meant. I will give you a free sandwich." Ace finally took a breath.

"You work for...Oh No Way! A Soyu sandwich. You have a deal." The man patiently waited but quickly unwrapped the meaty aroma. "So, Vincent is the champion for a couple of years now, so a lot of the guys and gals look up to him right. So, get this, to earn his favour, a few of thems usually teams up and make sure he gets through. Sometimes they do it for others too."

"What makes it special this time?" Ace asked.

"Well usually..." The man took a bite, pausing as the flavour held his tongue. "Sorry, but yea, they usually only have about half thems in a match and sometimes theys get knocked out, you know what I mean. Only this much happens when Vincent himself is in the match, but..."

"He qualified last time," Ace finished.

"Rights, but Butch, sorry The Butcher, usually goes solo unless the champ is there, but he probably got his eyes on someone this time. Butch is Vincent's right-hand man, you know what I mean. Theys gots power."

Ace stood up and patted the man on the shoulder. His mouth already filled, and eyes barely focused on the still hesitant match. Ace drew a breath, "So if they take down the leader. It could mean..."

"Chaos," Luna whispered.

***

"What the hell is going on?" Stella yelled. Her eyes were on the owner of the evil laugh. His back hunched but he was still almost the height of the other competitors, as his long arms hung the two long cleavers on the ground. Its metal scrapping the stone as he crept towards them. A barely noticeable, black line gathered around the edge of his blade. Stella was sure that his dark mimics were not meant to dull that blade.

"Vincent pays off fighters to let certain people go through," Zeke said.

"Assholes," Roland muttered. Stella felt her skin pull outwards slightly. Her eyes catching the subtle gathering of red behind some backs.

"They're coming!" Ophelia yelled and ducked. Stella felt her skin pull down slightly, until a massive yellow pillar took all the centre huddle high above the other pillars. Stella barely had to raise her head to see Ace, Tenny and her sister staring at her. Red orbs fizzling before they reached them and no signs of green wielding flyers yet allowed them a second to breathe.

"I thought the Earth Queen was in the first match, but with a large spell like that, Titania should watch out, as the Huntress takes her team to safety. What are they going to do? Will they hide for the entire 60 minutes?" Mo's voice was more relaxed this time. Stella was surprised by the lack of surprise.

"How?" Stella asked.

"Some of the show girls are paid off too. They mark the paper in the selection process, I heard," Zeke continued. "We have no way of stopping them."

"This is just the arena," one of the mystery men answered, "We aren't safe up here forever. They are going to attack."

"Yea, it's not like this spell can last much longer either," Ophelia said.

"Jason and The Huntress are right. What are we going to do?" Zeke asked.

"We take them down," Stella said.

"The Butcher is the strongest. If we take him down, then the others will lose faith," Roland advised.

"That makes sense, then I will go after The Butcher," Stella said.

"No..."

"No!" one of the other mysterious men interrupted. "You all are going to get beaten and walk away."

He rushed at them only to be stopped by the last of the mystery men. "Max! You joined them!"

"I hated what happened last year. I am not going through that again. Week after week we will have to compete while they get to relax until the finals. You are a fool for not learning, Romi!" The attacker forced the other into more of the circle. Stella's toes hanging off the edge now, as a red orb finally whisked past her.

"Guys, do what you have to! Leave this one to me!" Romi yelled before driving both of them off the edge. The rest of the team watching their plummet back to the stage.

"The Butcher is mine!" Roland proclaimed.

"Enough!" Ophelia barked. "I have never seen carrot top fight. Go with him after Butch. The rest of us will fight down the remaining men, right?"

"Then the last 5 minutes will be a free for all," Jason said.

"Ou! I like the sound of that." One of the twins chippered. Her sister smiled, eyes sparkling. Everyone else gave some indication of agreement before leaping towards the missing fray.

"We got this!" The other one rapidly called blue to both of her hands. A gigantic orb emanating from between her palms was blasted at the floor, until the other twin struggled to wave her hand towards the side. The large water ball flowed into a channel that each of the sky divers landed in. Blue orbs scattered and boots touched the stone with a run. Stella spotted the thin armoured tree immediately and dashed in his direction. Roland sprinting to keep up, with the twins Wind Walking just ahead.

"My name is Aza.," the one with a low boyish haircut said while casually punching into a bulky man.

"Ou, I am Dia! I can't wait to take you both down later," the long-haired twin chimed.

"Go on ahead, we will be there soon." Aza ducked a club. Her moves were agile and bouncy as she changed elevation when needed. The complete opposite of her monotone speaking habit. Her sister planted her feet on the ground and wrapped her arms around a limb before pinning the man. Quick to her feet and tackling the other opponent. Opposite of her sing song way of speaking. Too many contradictions and thinking about it started introducing a headache.

No time to really think about anything as a large number of red orbs gathered caught her eye. Roland was summoning them to both hands while running. Not hiding his attack in the slightest as the glowing light was half the size of him in both palms. His feet planted and wrist smashed together, and the red orb ejected from his palms like a red sun finishing the day, but instead of crashing into the horizon, it was aimed at the creeping suit of armour.

Stella focused in on the light to see spell dissolving before getting close to The Butcher, only for it to scatter into thousands of pieces after contact with a purple black stone embedded in his left gauntlet. That is going to give some trouble. They should wait before closing the distance.

Roland dashed forward with his left hand loaded behind him and his right extended like a scope. What is he thinking? He just wasted mana, but he must have a fair amount to call a spell like that. Maybe close combat is his forte. Stella kept her eye on the swaying tree, but the low grumble of a laugh caused her to walk forward in case.

The orange haired boy's loaded straight cut through the air. Okay, now the follow up. Why is there no follow up? The armour laughed its hysterical laugh again and raised the cleaver in the air. The thin black edge cutting the reflection like nothing. This is bad.

Stella gathered green and blasted forward until her feet landed with her body low to the ground. Her arm edged the tile before swiping into the air. The yellow wisps rocketed from the ground into a wall a couple inches thick causing the walking skeleton to jump back. He still brought the cleaver down through the butter wall in a clean strike, the smaller section no longer touching the ground scattered to invisibility. Yea, it's a sharp dark spell.

"Roland! Get out of there now!" Stella barked.

"Don't tell me what to do!" The rebel hoped over the wall and brought his fist down to crack the tile. The low grumble of breathing escaped the cone. Stella dashed under the cleaver and used her shin to strike his knee. Even bent over, the cone swayed over her head until she drove it into the ground with a solid strike. A wild branch swung a cleaver from the ground at the boy until Stella blasted him onto his back with green. The moment of distraction allowed the other cleaver to edge her shoulder, running red down her arm.

"The Butcher has tasted blood from a rookie. Don't worry folks, we shall protect her from any weaponry than can be fatal. It looks like the red doesn't faze the ash! Lande is already attacking! Her fiery teammate has returned to his feet. Let's keep our eyes locked onto the action!" Mo yelled.

***

"Tenny, if it looks like she is in danger, step in," Ace muttered.

"Of course, but I won't be able to vanish fast enough. We will be discovered. This arena is huge."

"I know, but if I step in then they will be even more alarmed. I would draw in just as much attention as you, and everyone knows Mysticals are well Mystical."

"I get it, but we both know that they will find me with you." Tenny sighed. "Either way, they will come with questions. I hate to say this, but that dog mask is scary, and the others must be as well. You will get caught up in something you don't want, and it will affect the mission. I will always save our friends if I can. I love them, but we will have to go into hiding after. We will have to go to the South Continent."

Luna gripped onto Ace's back tighter. He patted the back of her hand softly and raised his chin until the back of his head tapped the top of hers. "This is really not like we planned huh."

"Why do we have to hide?" Jack said walking towards them with his nose taped to his face. "What in The Three is going on down there?"

"Where is King?" Ace asked.

"He was embarrassed, so Yuki took him back to the inn. What's going on."

"They cheated. I heard Vincent got most of his guys to join this match," Ace said, "They are fighting for survival down there. I can't tell how this will turn out."

"Damn. That's dirty, but both of them will find a way through. I don't think an army could stop them."

Ace laughed. "I think you are rig—"

"Skyeyayahaahhahhhhhahahahahahhhahah!" Twisted all necks towards the armour. Eyes sucked in by the plates trembling, the fingers curling. Breaths forgetting to do their jobs, and hearts pausing on theirs.

Stella looked at the gaunt monster holding his thin frame up with a wide stance. The unnatural perfection in the 90-degree angles his legs shaped. His arms bent to hold the cleaver close to his body, and his neck bent to hide his head from those facing him, only the cone was visible. The metallic beak twitching along with the sick thin black vines hanging from the top of the helmet to the rhythm of the horrifying howl.

This was the time to move. It would take him a fraction of a second more to react and that is if he sensed something was wrong. But why couldn't she move? She looked to the left to see the rebel hesitant as well. Even the kingdom's voice refused to awaken for these few seconds. Stella slid her boot two inches forward, but her body went cold when the laugh suddenly cut. The entire arena still silent, the only sound of the helmet creaking to its original position. Stella jumped back when his neck snapped to the side, another 90-degree angle led to hollow sockets stacked on each other. Staring at her. He was completely still, his frail hair was the only movement.

"Die..." it muttered before swiping its left cleaver at her. His lanky arms difficult to gauge as a few strands of her hair floated in front of her face. She called green to blast her into a roll. The instant her soles contacted the stone she dashed without looking back. Grabbing onto Roland's shirt on her retreat. She dumped him on the ground and turned back to see the creature charge at them on all fours. His arms supported by the tip of the cleaver like metallic spider legs and his hind legs sprawled and skating, getting him there in no time. His blades cutting the air only narrowly missing his prey.

Roland reached for a punch, but Stella tugged his shirt back as the blade passed his nose. She planted a kick into the plated ribs. Even his hunch came with an attack, but Stella already prepared a red orb that tore into his shoulder sending him onto his back. Roland dashed to get on top, but the monster was quicker. A cleaver was greedy for his neck. Stella stopped the blade with an ice sword to his wrist, and the other one she summoned shattered on his neck. The existing one tilted and aimed for his forehead but the cleaver cut it clean in half. She quickly summoned another sword, but it was dispersed by a gauntlet. Stella raised her hand as a giant ice mallet fell towards his head only to scatter into thousands of blue and yellow specs, but enough to blur his vision enough for them to create distance.

"What are you doing!" Stella yelled and shoved the over eager rookie.

"You are keeping me back! I can take him out." Roland yelled at the ground.

"You can't be that stupid."

"I am strong! I can do this, just keep doing what you are doing, and if I can land a solid hit on him then I know I will take him out!" The boy looked down at his fist. Stella could see the blood racing to his trembling clench.

"Don't do this please." Stella shook her head. Her eyes scanning quickly for any teammate that can assist. Any one free, but all battles were a distance away from them. All hugging the edges of the ring or on the other half, careful to hold a distance. Her eyes locked forward again as the armour was on the move. This is bad.

***

"Tenny, you have to go now." Jack locked eyes on the Mystical.

"It's too early. We can blow it for her." Tenny dragged his words.

"Blow it! She is in danger! Ace, tell him!" Jack switched his sights.

"You are yelling our names. Calm down a bit and look at it carefully. She is doing okay," Ace replied.

"Am I the only one looking carefully? That boy is going to get her and himself killed. Look at how much space his comrades give him in fear of being cut down. I can see her fighting back, and maybe if this was a battle, then she would have beat him, but it's too risky right now. There is too much going on. Please Tenny."

Luna took grabbed his shoulder. He looked at her little hand and then held his breath. His eyes fell to the ring once again to see Stella creating distance. Green called to both of her hands and climbed to her mouth.

"Wait!" she boomed across the stadium. "This man is trying to kill us! This is against the rules!"

Her hands could barely make it to her side again before soldiers held down The Butcher, extending both of his arms and dropping him to his knees. The rest of the match stopped most that were downed slowly climbed to their feet. Some didn't have that luck of being awake.

"It looks like we have a serious accusation, and given what we have seen so far, I think it was a right call by Lande. We will just wait on the official word from the Centurys downstairs and..." Mo trailed off.

One of the guards ran his thumb on the silver edge of the blade. He nodded his head as another guard created an Amp spell of their own. "The edge is dull. He is free to continue the match."

"What!" Stella stepped towards him. A guard quickly held onto her shoulders. "You have seen what he has been doing."

"There are no rules against cutting magic. As long as there is no reason for him to be penalised. If he attempts to kill you then we shall stop him." The guards voice still carried across the crowd.

"After we are dead."

"Please control yourself, madam," the guard holding her back muttered.

"Can you guys at least give us 30 seconds to resume the match?" Stella looked over to see a guard holding the hourglass sideways. She couldn't gauge the remaining time, but she could see it was just a little uneven. She hopped that half had already passed.

"We will resume after thirty seconds." The final words entered the orb before it scattered away. The guards returned to their post and Stella's eyes scanned the crowd. The situation was bad. This boy could get killed, but she could handle this. That monster was only instincts, and she could get past him. She had to; this stadium had no intention of taking him away. She smiled thinking about the challenged as her eyes finally fell on the white jacket holding a wooden box that she was looking for. A black shirt next to him must be her leader. She didn't want to worry them with her words, so he raised her fist high the in the air and extended her thumb. She couldn't see if there was acknowledgement, but it didn't matter. Ace was there and he would trust her. She was going to show this crowd what he already knows and join her friend in the next rounds.

"The match will continue with twenty-one minutes remaining! We start in 3, 2, go!"

Stella took the initiative. She was in the guard of the spindly man in seconds. Roland might hang back if he is waiting for the right time. That will be best for both of them. She hoped he understood the plan. Even if he didn't, she just had to pressure this frail fighter until he crumbles. No time for either of them.

Her fist crashed into his obliques with the plating nicking her fingers on the withdraw. Her other arm drove through his stomach making him stand up straight for the first time the match started. His slender frame peaked high above her. He stepped back trying to give his gangly appendage room to strike. Not a chance. Her step took her behind him as an ice sword shattered on his knee cap. A slight jump pounded an ice hammer on his back. A long ice spear able to part the black vines causing his head to bow. Each weapon shattering on impact but none being stopped by the mimic dispersing artefact. Her angles tight and just enough behind him that every correctional twist he started was treated with a different ice weapon battering into him.

Stella jumped back and took her first long stare at Roland. Her quick glances just now only told her that he was hesitant. Now she could clearly see the frustration in his face. He was holding back but she had no idea how long that would last. She had to finish The Butcher quick, but the frail appearance was deceiving. She hit him a lot and he barely tapped his knee to the stone once. He weathered the ice all while keeping that tiny black edge on his weapon. That means there is no Mana Strengthening. His passive mana must be incredible. The cone pointed at her again, the blades dragging on the stone. She couldn't hear him, but she was sure that twitch came from a low laugh. It wasn't until her gaze shifted past the monster to see Roland taking a step forward that caused her to race ahead.

She was glad she trained to create new weapons with Tenny. It felt natural that any distance she needed could be covered with a different weapon quickly. The application just flowed in her mind after looking at the gaps, the momentum, the flow of her combination. Blue gathered to her open palm, extending both directions into a spear with a yellow swirl. This felt perfect, she raised the weapon while still on the run, no need to stop as she hurled it forward. The armour didn't move, the empty slits focused on her, as the spear sped past his helmet. The spell crashed into colours at Roland's feet. He paused to look up at the spikey back of the nightmare. Something keeping him from returning to his charge.

Perfect. She leapt at the creature, but he didn't swing at her. She crashed an ice sword on his helmet, but acutely aware that his arm tried to do something. Her feet touched the ground for a split second before she circled around him. A blue and yellow axe aimed just above his hips. The cleaver splitting the weapon, but the cut was too precise, as there was enough mass to still shatter onto his side. A few stumbling steps and he leapt at her. She readied his momentum to be met with a thin ice sword, but it dispersed. Another scattered. He was reading her already. 5 more weapons formed and only one made contact. She clicked her tongue at her mana being wasted. Her right swung without a weapon this time, hand gripping onto the gauntlet and heel into his stomach. His spindle like fingers wrapped her boot and yanked her with a surprising speed. She didn't realise how quickly she was above him, and it must have been even quicker for her body to slam into the tile. She held her breath in, grateful she was already Mana Strengthened.

Damnit! Roland was here, his left fist behind him again looking for a spot to rest it. Stella slapped the tile on her dash up, barely managing to push the body down before an armoured forearm blasted into her shoulder, sending her rolling across the arena, barely stopping before the edge. Her head turned first to see the boy she let down. She knew her body couldn't get there in time anymore, but maybe her hope would. Hope he would run away. Hope he would be...winning?

Not exactly. The boy swung wild attacks, each extending his body past the point it should. Each clumsy attack dragging him forward, but also moving the armour back? The Butcher narrowly shifted assault, with his cleavers widely missing the boy. The soulless pits twisting to stare at her ever so slightly. What is going on? It doesn't matter, she still has to take him down. A little help would seal the deal.

Her heart sank. Groups of men were casually pacing the arena. Eyes on her entrance into their domain. Her eyes scanned the floor for bodies, only a couple unconscious that she didn't recognise, until she spotted the sand off the edge. Romi, Jason and Dia all found a gritty bed out of the ring. Where is sis? She noticed the cracked mask shaking with the woman's attempt to stand. Ophelia caught a weak resolved leg and dragged it to the ground, but another weak resolved heel crashed into her back.

"Ashe!" Zeke limped from behind, making a bent stand beside her.

"I am glad to see you awake. I am a bit surprised though, no offence."

"The Huntress protected me most of the time. I...I should be there." Emotions and a dry throat strained his voice enough for Stella to look at him. An expected bloodied face looked ahead at his protector, but an unexpected tear rolled off his eye. Stella just realising the frustration in being the protected as well.

Both of their attentions were stolen by Aza crashing into the ground next to them but using the momentum to instantly roll to her knee. Her glowing red palm in front of her seemed to hold her attackers at bay. Her rise to her feet was not nearly as quick as the roll.

"Nice of you to join us. How did it go on your end?" Aza found a place next to her. Stella sighed and looked to the timer. Ten, maybe twelve minutes remaining.

"Much better than you guys." Stella turned to see the cone pointing at her in the distance. Roland held in the air by his shirt. Still alive, Stella thought while looking at one cleaver on the ground. "Can we still win this?"

"What! No way." Zeke took a step back. "We should just stay away until the match is over."

"I don't agree with the staying away, but he is right about winning. I don't see a way." Aza's flat tone brought a strange comfort to Stella. Maybe the lack of rhythm calmed her heart.

"I get it. Well, I'm pretty frustrated, so I am thinking about taking down as many as I could. How about you?" Stella turned to the lonely twin. A nod of her head caused The Ice Queen to summon her new speciality spell. She passed a massive ice club to the girl. "It might not last long."

"I can't say I will either."

"Okay! Okay! I get it." The pink haired boy sighed. "What is the worst that can happen, a few bumps and bruises?"

"Glad to have you on board." Stella dashed on. Aza reacting to her pace.

"Wait! Where is my weapon?" Zeke left by their head start. A few steadying breaths and he was off into the crowd of enemies.

Stella's aim was for a group of 5 all charging back. She summoned two ice swords when she saw the armour in a mad dash to intercept her. She changed her direction and ran towards the four attacking Ophelia. The Butcher barrelling through the first five until three of them wrapped around him. Holding him back as he growled and dragged his way towards the sprinting Stella. Her eyes focused on a smirking Max.

"You will hurt everyone!"

"It is almost time. You have to go!" the restrainers pleaded.

Stella didn't have time to worry about that. Take down as many as I can, ran through her head as the ice sword smashed into Max's shoulder. The other blade into a nearby back. Her feet only touching down to carry her into the air again. Climbing and punching, crawling and kicking. She made her way through the crowd as knuckles occasionally met her ribs. Elbows found her chin and feet on her back. She grabbed whatever appendage was next to her and pulled herself up. An uppercut connecting to any jaw she could. Her eyes caught a glimpse of the ice club shattering into a group, but another group waiting to pounce. Someone took her ankles and dragged her back down. She could only see a bit through the stomping boots to see Zeke holding his own against a couple of them. He was a good fighter, but these odds were impossible. Green flew into her hand, and she blasted off the edge into the sand. Finding her stance again while sizing up the group she was going after next. Ice swords appearing. These aren't grunts, they are all warriors that came to this kingdom in hopes of being strong. Earning a title. Too bad they are just a faceless crowd that are going fight for their lives until the last grain of sand falls. She isn't going down easily.

***

"It doesn't look like we have to worry about her dying anymore, but she is going to be sore. She fights so hard." Jack looked at her scrambling through attacks. Blue and yellow weapons making less of an appearance as red from her body became more prominent. "I think I can understand that pride in not giving up. Wanting to win."

"Maybe, but you two fight for two completely different reasons," Ace said.

"Can't be. We both have our pride, and we fight to protect those we care about. To make a difference. I don't really see what you mean," Jack calmly said.

"Yea, but those are more of the results you hope for. The reason you fight is for others. She fights for you." Ace turned to meet his eyes. Jack didn't like the grey eyes locking onto his like this is his fault. He looked back at the stage to see his friend blasted down by a red orb. "She says it all the time, and we both know it."

"Yea, she wants to be someone to count on. I do too, but for those we meet. She wants us to rest our worries with her." Jack's voice trailed. Ace handed a sandwich to Luna, who made her way to the side of them.

"That was the last one." Ace stretched his limbs. "Yea, she is chasing power so that you have a steady footing. The more you can count on her then the more you can be you. It is why she is so bothered by your choices lately. She feels like she is letting you down. Worried that she is just a footing of thin ice."

"But it's not her fault. I just feel..." Jack touched the wood carving hanging from his black headband.

"We all do. That is why the arena is so important to her. This is a kingdom of warriors. People come here from all over the empire to get stronger and test their might. It is a way for her to gauge how far she needs to go. How far she can go for us." Ace words rang in his ears while looking at the ashen hair warrior drag her body up. Taking down two or three before being dropped to the ground again. "She wants you to jump into action and save people. To fight for your ideals freely, and not hesitate. She was romanced by the dawn of your adventures. When you showed your true colours."

Jack looked down at the black shirt. His forearms covered in bandage instead of his black sleeves. "When you say it that way, I feel bad. Like I am only fighting for myself. Her reason sounds grander now." Jack laughed.

"Not at all." Tenny jumped on his head. "You are the bird. You fly to new heights, and everyone tries to catch up. So much so that we have been a bit scared recently. Ace, I am sorry I have been talking about running away. I am scared too, but looking down right now shows you how much you affect great people. You are the heart of all of this."

Luna took Jack's hand and have him a head nod with her face still stuffed. Her dull violet eyes presented an unmatched tranquillity. "It isn't as easy as the dawn. It feels like I am trapped in a long night."

"That is what Ace says Stella is fighting for." Tenny ruffled some brown hair. "She will carry you until you are ready to fly again. She wants you to soar and take us with you. It is all up to you, Jack, but we believe in you. Drag us up. Especially that lame mentor of yours. He needs it."

"I feel bad I wasn't as excited for the arena, and I am the one getting to go through." Jack turned around and made his way to the top of the stairs. They rest followed.

"That ends the exciting match up! We witnessed some real heart on the stage tonight. But it has concluded, and we have our winners." Mo's voice was the least enthusiastic they ever heard. "The Butcher, Cassidy, Trance and the new kid, Roland are moving on to the next stages. Let's make some noi—" The transmission cut off to an awkward pause before the crowd accomplished their jobs. The stadium shaking with the vibrant voices.

"Let's go get our friends." Jack walked ahead again.

***

Stella inched her way through the tunnel. Two twins under each arm aiding every footstep. Ophelia being helped by Zeke ahead of them. Stella felt the inside of her chest hurt more than any sting on her flesh. She wanted to be disappointed, but she couldn't stop the smile from owning her face. The twins laughing at her expression and filling her ears with jokes. The odds were impossible, but she knew she put on a show. She knew her teacher would be proud. Her friends would know her will. She would qualify next time, this time she will leave it to Jack or King.

The slow walk back was less of a task than she thought. She barely took a seat in the dressing room when Tana burst through the door and grabbed onto every sore on her body before dragging Ophelia into the pain too. Tears softening the stained red on their skin. Stella smiled and rubbed her black hair, as the gripped tightened. The twins helping Ophelia with her mask. A knock on the door and a confirmation for entrance showed an orange haired boy wearing a face or worry.

"Roland! What happened? How did you manage...that doesn't matter. You can't fight, you aren't ready."

"Stop! I am going to fight! It is my place. I will win and crush Vincent myself."

"Stop joking. You don't even deserve to make it through. You ar—"

"I know! You think I wanted to go through like this! You have no idea what I am going through, but it doesn't matter! I just came to check on you but leave me alone from now on. You have no reason to interfere again. I have to do this."

"Roland! You can't—" The door shut on Stella's words, only to be opened a second later by her sister rushing at her. Jack, Ace and Tenny waited on permission to step in. Ace took Ophelia on his back and Jack offered Stella a place on his.

"Let me carry you for once," Jack said softly. Stella climbed on and rested her head on his shoulder. She gave a wave to Zeke that passed them in the hallway. He was being carried off by his brother. "Time for a trip to the doctor. I think you did gre—"

"Stop. Don't say it." Her grip tightened. Jack felt a cold touch on his shoulder. The water not making it down his back.

"You really did do—"

"Stop. I want to do better."

0