Chapter Forty Three: How does a flower grow?(Null Tournament Arc)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room was more crowded than the doctor liked, but she decided to make use of all the hands she could. Rubs and bandages passed between them and remained in proximity for when she needed. Ace offered to give blood, but she said that he didn't need it. It looked worse than it was, and his mana had already started to help him recover. His body was strong, something close to military captains, so in no time the chaos died down. The doctor found a place by a window and lit a cigarette. A moustache and caretaker took to providing company. The few surrounding their resting friend and others taking in the view of the 7 other beds housing fallen fighters.

"You must see the most injuries in the entire empire." Ace blew smoke at Ophelia before she elbowed him.

Her unkempt blue hair and thick glasses falling from her face gave the impressions that she didn't like questions, however the moustache on the interrogator's face showed that he had little care for anything. "Ai ai, I have seen my fair share of bumps and bruises, but I haven't seen something like that in my time. Who are yer guys? Why is there someun' willing to fight like that in times of peace? Y'all not troublemakers are yer?"

"Troublemakers...nah." Ace smiled.

"Excuse...how is he?" Iris only entered the room with his head. His eyes hesitant on if his body should follow.

"Iris, come in. He is strong so doc here said he will be fine by tomorrow with rest," Ace called.

"Oi, keep it down, there are others restin." This time Ace received an elbow from the doctor.

His large body had its own visible bruises when he got closer to group. "You didn't have to tell me that he was strong. I am glad he is doing okay."

"You are lucky it wasn't me." Stella slapped him on his back, but her eyes were busy scanning the room. "Doctor Tae, where is Roland?"

"That guy made a fuss and walked out...dragged out...either way he left, and he wasn't ready to lea—"

"What is he doing here!" King's voice snatched the room. "Ace! He hurt Jack! What is he doing here! Get out!"

"Stop it Ren!" Stella barked.

"Everyone wait—" Ace started.

"Ace? Jack?" Iris mumbled.

"Oi! Mustache, get your people under control! There are others resting in here. Iris, if this is going to be a problem then I am going to have to ask yer to leave." The doctor flicked her smoke out the window.

"No, no. Guys stop. Ren, what is going on?" Ace walked over to him.

"That guy beat Jack to this state. Jack is my friend. I don't want to be around someone who hurts my friend." King moved closer to Tana as they both hovered the side of Jack's bed.

"Tyr, I can just—" Iris started.

"No, you didn't do anything wrong." Ace took a sigh, just realising the cigarette was still in his hand. "Ren, it was a match. They both fought their hearts out. I understand your feelings, but it is disrespectful to what Ed just did."

"Friends don't leave friends to get hurt. Friends are supposed to be there for friends. That is how it works right? Why can we be friends with someone who hurts us?"

"It's because Jack is our friend!" The doctor glanced at Stella's brush with the acceptable voice level. She stepped between King and their mentor, but King stepped back, subtly trying to hide behind Tana, while her silver eyes had an intensity that caused Stella to retreat slightly. "Kin...Ren, what are you doing? Are you afraid of me or something?"

The silence and aversion of eye contact dropped Stella's heart in a strange way. A defending rage seemed to rise from the sudden pit. She turned to Ophelia, but she was mumbling with Tenny on her shoulder, her sister was focused on Jack, holding his hand and sitting by his side, and Ace seemed to be waiting on the same words she was looking for.

"You just get mad...sometimes, and I am afraid I make you angrier," King mumbled, "But, it is his fault this time."

"It isn't anyon...Ugh." Stella rubbed the pressure out of her eyes before pressing on her temple. "I...I can't deal with this right now. I have to go find that stupid orange brat, because I made a stupid promise, cause of this stu...ugh." Her boot clicks rang sharper in the silence with only small patter of Tana's steps interrupting.

"Tana, are you okay?" Ace placed his fingers on her wrist to halt her movement. There was no force applied but she paused, nonetheless. Her silver eyes snapped onto Ace's with sharper taste than the exit still dancing in the air.

"I don't like it. I don't have to like this. I told you already." She didn't pull away her hand, but the small pull from the rest of her body caused Ace to move his hands. Ophelia was the next to stain the air with footsteps. Tenny transferring to Ace's shoulder when she placed her hand on it in passing.

"You too?"

"Too many guys for my taste. I'm going to stick with them." Her exit caused the last girl to take a stand. She nodded her head and ruffled Ace's hair in her passing.

"Thanks, look after them please." Luna nodded to the request before following. "I swear only one of them was upset a couple of minutes ago."

"You guys talk it out. I am going to make some rounds, call for help if anything happens." The doctor gathered some papers at the side of the desk. She paused and looked at King, staring at his sleeping friend. "Iris is a good one. It isn't good to condemn others so quickly, people have stories to be heard, or something so...eat your veggies."

King's dazed eyes followed her until out of sight, but he couldn't follow her words. Give the man who hurt his friend a chance to explain what? The ideas of what they would even say jumped around his mind too quickly for any words to make sense. The monster didn't even apologise. Aren always apologised for everything, even things he didn't do, especially for things he didn't do. Apologise to avoid trouble, but this man brought trouble and didn't say a word of remorse. Now his friend is hurt. King shook his head. He knew Jack was okay, but people are so fragile. They already live for much shorter lives and can lose them in an instant. He knows Jack is strong. Stella, Luna, and he works so hard, but it is too dangerous. There are people like this man out in the world. Those that can crush others like noth—

"So what's on your mind champ?" Ace cut the silence and King's chaos in an instant. His usual chipper tone brought a calm to King's chest before it boiled again. Why was Ace so nice to Iris? Well, it's Ace, it's okay to trust him, he will figure it out. "Your expression tells me something heavy in on your mind."

Expression? King looked to the man's face, worry. Worry that he didn't see earlier. Did he see his face earlier? King's eyebrows pressed the gold. What right does he have to worry? This could be the apology. It should be an apology.

"What did you do to that kid? What made him fight like that? Who are you guys? All those questions swam in my head from the ending of that match. Things I thought about asking, but he had already given me the answer during the match. 'It isn't fun to lose, if he gave up there then it would be too easy to give up again.' Something like that he said. Can you imagine the nerve on that kid. Saying that while fighting through that pain. He is just someone amazing. It is just who they are, so instead I just had one question for him. I hope I can ask him later."

No sorry from the monster. Not even an understanding. Jack wasn't like that. Jack was cautious and looked out for all of them. He pulled them back if things get too dangerous and listen to all reason when coming up with plans. Someone who thinks it isn't fun to lose is too childish to be Jack. 'I want to be your friend as the real me.' The words smashed into King's mind. Is that how Jack is? King looked to the desk where a stack of papers sat earlier. A story to be heard...understanding. King finally saw the brown eyes locked onto his, as if a response was needed, but it only took a second for the eyes to close and a soft smile to form on the monst—man's face. Understanding, but he looked to be walking away instead.

"Not so fast!" Ace pointed to the chair. Iris stood in confusion for a long moment, but without any answers, he took the seat. "Can't leave us with just that. What do you want to ask him? What's your story Mr. Iris."

"Did I really look that burdened when I came in or are you that good?" Iris looked to Jack and then chuckled. "I forgot the boldness, but it makes sense that your pupil can spout words with such confidence. All of you have your own type of charisma. Fine, but you have to give me your answer as well. I wanted to know, if it is okay for someone who has already given up, to find their reason to fight again."

King felt lost, and the smile on Ace's face didn't match the heavy tone switch in Iris's voice. Ace looked to Jack where Tenny decided to take a nap. "Now we both know that I can't answer that. You know the answer, and it only has value coming from someone who shook your belief in the first place. So while he is sleeping, I really want to know what could make a legend walk that path of thought."

Iris's smile threw King further into confusion. It was like the two of them were talking about something only they understood. Jack might have understood it. It seems like the entire thing is about Jack. It is okay. Understanding comes first right now, even if it comes with not understanding.

"It really was a hell of a fight. I didn't think anything could have thrown me back like this, but right now, I feel like I am looking in from the outside. Remembering what it felt like instead of really feeling it." Iris gripped onto his right shoulder then the twist of his wrist covered the remainder of the limb. "You ever heard of Bana or Dosaby?"

"Dosaby, the desert kingdom in End. I have been there before, but not—"

"Bana is a small village a few miles from Dosaby. Where I am from. Tough environment and tougher father. My mother told me that he was once a proud man, well respected in our town, but it slipped away. Retired and drunk is a team that has its own reputation. I won't get into the details but imagine what you can, and you would probably be right. After one temper tantrum he left home at night, like most nights, but this time, Mom was injured."

Ace's sudden look caught King's focus. It was only a quick glance but enough to bring the realisation that he got lost in Iris's story. Did he look because of the mention of a dad? Because King dislikes his dad? King turned his sights back to the moving mouth of the warrior. Understanding can mean relating...

"I had an older sister named Isi, and bad fortune would have it for her to be bitten by a horn viper that same night. We both panicked and startled it into using an earth spell, and a spike pierced her in her side. She was five and I was three, and I tried to wake my mother, but she weathered a lot that night and by the time she came to, it was too late.

"My father did blame himself and stopped the fighting but dove deeper into the drinking. Since he had some connection to the officials in the village, our ledgers were always filled, for better or worse and Mom said that life felt empty. She grabbed me and made her way through the desert. I can't imagine the difficulty, but she got help with some mercenaries working for the previous Warlord. She trained and did jobs with them, and when I was 5, we made it to Tells. By then she had a reputation from the dark kingdom. They called her the Sand Bull; Nenty the Sand Bull. Quite a nickname, but I think it fit with her temper. It had this one time I was climbing on the pantry, and everything fell. Wasted a lot of stuff, and she waited to see if I was okay before headbutting me out the door. I actually flew out the door."

Ace and Iris's chuckle was not shared with the dragon's son. His relating came to an impasse. He didn't realise he began to talk. "She sounds amazing. To take you away from a scary dad and to a new home."

"She really was. Your friend reminded me of her just now. Always wanting the best for their loved ones but struggling to show it at times. The temper especially brought back memories. I was like you, always afraid to get her angry, but those times had their own charm. Was your mom like that?"

"I...I...never had a mom. I have three dads but—"

"Yea he does. And I heard your mom was the kindest and bravest there was." Ace slapped him on the shoulder, before passing a clump of hair between two fingers. King had a soft smile when looking the man lost in his white hair.

"You are his dad? I can see the resemblance with Lana, but I thought she and Lande were sisters." Iris looked to the moustached man.

"Proud to be his dad, and the little one, but you are right and wrong, and it is not all that necessary to know, but only those two are like my kids. Back to the story." Ace jumped back onto his seat, but Iris gave a King a few moments to return from being red, or maybe to process his confusion, probably both.

"Tells was just a mission spot, but some of the guys wanted to test their strength. A promoter convinced my mom to join, and she stole the show. A fierce grappler and after her first match, the Mups family sponsored her. She became champion in smaller tournaments in a short time but struggled for the Null Tournament Qualifiers for the first year. Only that year because she won the Nulls for 10 years in a row, until she got sick. Her health dropped quickly, but Lance organised a lot of things for her to be set for life in Tells. He made sure she knew that a champion is always a champion.

"I started to fight a couple years after that, at 18, and won my first tournament at 20. I figured out there was a lot of politics to being a champion and finances were not something I liked, but I didn't mind." The smile on his face brought him back from the distance in his eyes. He looked to Ace as if it would be something they could understand again. King knew it must be the answer to the question. "I was on top of the world. I know my mom would have been proud of me for anything I did, she even told me so, but Tyr, she was so proud."

King felt his stomach grab his throat so quickly that his heart was blown away. He had no idea why he reacted like that, but his eyes were lost in the hazel sparkles of the former champion, until it lost a bit of the glimmer. King turned to Ace to see a clear expression of happiness, but the confidence that Ace was relating to it felt hesitant. Hesitant enough for Iris to look to King.

"We would talk about fights, and techniques and go to events together. She would see my matches and talk to other rookies. She loved the arena itself and treated so many warriors like her children, but I was her child, and I was the champion. I knew it wouldn't last forever, but I could never sit with those thoughts for long. I looked after her when her health was failing and fought as many matches as I could to get away from the reality. She passed away 7 years ago, and that's when I lost my first tournament.

"I knew I shouldn't have fought, but I felt like I had nothing else in the world. The Mups family tried to get me out of it, even told me that politics were at the forefront, but I didn't think much of it. That's when The Butcher took my arm in a fight. I found out later that Lance knew about the entire thing and sanctioned it. Vincent and him were trying new things and formed a partnership. I talked to Lance, and he told me not to worry about it, and that the world was changing, and he needed to make his start. He told me that a champion will always be a champion and I had a place in the arena always. So now I fight and leave Vincent at the top. I am not sure if I can beat him anyway, and I am sure I can't beat The Butcher. Normal events are fine, but I think I can't stay away from this place.

"I thought about being a mentor. Looking after rookies like my mom did after retiring. Thought about starting a school for warriors in her honour. It is something I can dream for, but then I felt undeserving. I felt like I let my mom down by going with how things are. She left her home with me and created this amazing life, and I can't even walk away from the stage. I turned to connections like my dad did. How can I mentor anyone when I have given up on everything given to me? There you have it Tyr, the story of my question. Do you still not have an answer, can I fight again after giving up?"

"Aren't you already doing that?" Ace's tone was flat, and his eyes was on the sleeping Mystical, but the two listeners had sharp sights on him. "It doesn't sound like the easy decision you make it out to be. Your love for the arena and your mom's legacy shows in the fact that you can still think about the rookies even through corruption. Unwilling to let go of its potential, isn't that a trait that would make a great mentor?"

Iris paused when Ace looked at him with the big smile. His mouth opened enough for medium intakes of air, but King wasn't sure if he was breathing at the moment. There was a visible shake to awaken his words. "You don't have to sweeten your words for me Tyr. I know my failures and aged enough to abandon justification."

"I am a liar. A liar and a traitor." Ace looked to King. The dragon moved his golden eyes to the top in search of a story that matched. "But what you take from my words is completely up to you, friend. We can find honesty or treachery, acceptance or rejection in any opinion. It is why we have egotist and the broken. But in my opinion, you are doing just fine Iris. You will make a great mentor. Stick around, he will tell you the same. I think it's about time me and Ren head down for the match. You mind?"

"Staying? Not at all. Ren, I can't imagine how you feel. I have grown up around this sport and Ed stole the show, and I got to be a part of that. I can see your point and for that I want to say I am sorry. I hurt your friend and came here for selfish reasons, but I can't give it up after that fight. Forgive me for being weak and—"

He apologised.

"You aren't weak." King's voice wasn't much louder than Iris's natural base, but the intensity was felt. "Jack is super strong. He does amazing things all the time and you beat him. I am sorry I yelled at you earlier. I think you are amazing for having a dream. Making your mom proud. Living a life with a purpose, and they took it away. Right Ace, it was those guys that did bad. They took from them without considering anything. Ace it is their faults, right? We should stop them, right?"

"I think you are doing the thing where you forget other's stories again." Ace used a single finger to scratch his forehead. King could see the slight twist under his moustache.

"I don't get it. They did bad and it is clear. A purpose is really important and especially one found from family. I want to show you that you can fight again, Iris. It isn't a grand thing as a purpose, but it is something I want to do. Ace, can I do it?" King waited for the nod and smile from the mentor before putting on a mask and hood. He slipped on large leather gloves and stared directly into Iris's irises. "I am sorry again. I think you are really cool."

"Thanks Ren, and um...Ace. I'll keep an eye on...Jack." Iris chuckled.

"I will explain everything sometime my friend." Ace laughed back.

"You...you can call me King. I mean, my name is King. Please call me that instead."

"Got it, King."

"Wait for me tomorrow."

***

Tana walked down the stairs towards the white jacket standing alone. She was beaten by a silver haired girl making a leap into the jacket's back. Tana looked down to see her friend hidden from everyone else, but clearly anxious on those pristine stone tiles that refused to tell the story of her other friend getting hurt hours ago. She dreaded the story they will hide in a couple of minutes.

"Did you guys find him?" Ace asked.

"No, we searched around the arena, and asked some vendors but no luck. I didn't want to miss King's match, so we came back," Stella answered.

"Where is Ophy?"

"Yesterday caught up to her. I was fighting that monster down there most of the time, but she had a bunch of opponents. She went back to rest. Will King be okay?"

"I think everyone is going to be surprised. He found something just now. I have no idea what it means, but he has a plan."

"What happens if he gets hurt?" Tana asked in a tone unfamiliar to them.

"Then I will try to prepare him so he doesn't next time." Ace's chipper tone drew a sigh.

"You really let them do what they want. I get it. I am here for them too, but I won't apologise for not liking this. They fight for such grand ideals and I get how impossible it is to stop them there, but fighting just to prove they are strong...it so dangerous. It was so scary, how fast things happened last time. How fast he stopped breathing, and I get they want to get stronger to not let it happen again, but what if chasing that gives...I won't apologise."

"It makes me feel a bit sad that you think I expected or want an apology." Ace turned to meet her steeled eyes looking down at the two competitors looking at each other. Only the show girl stopping them from getting hurt. "It is different from Evergreen, right? Meeting people who spouted grand ideals and put their entire being into making it happen feels magical. But you still saw them as people instead and tagged along, and now that your big heart isn't taking care of a village it really grew to love these few, huh? It seems dangerous, but that is who they are. I meant what I said when we danced. Thank you for everything."

"Hmph, yea, it feels that way. I still won't apologise."

"Please don't. Never do." Ace ruffled her hair. Luna did the same.

***

The creaks of the dull armour rang in King's ears even at this distance. His eyes capable of seeing every uncomfortable twitch the creature made as long as he was focused. And he felt focused. The movements were slow, the raging breeze on his skin felt like it took ages to cool. The spit he swallowed took forever to climb down his throat and the woman took a lifetime to leave the stage. Every convulsion taking King's eyes away from the blades in the armour's hands, but only for a split second. The blade that took Iris's arm. The blades that severed a hope, a promise. A person's pride. A mother's love and admiration.

King's fingers fought its own involuntary motions in the heavy gloves. It itched when his heart raced. An itch that he hated. An itch he never wanted to give into, but today it was upsetting his focus. It wasn't just an itch this time. It was burning under his skin. He closed his eyes and exhaled. His fingers were the first to fill the gloves a bit better, as the burning stopped. He felt normal, like he was where he was supposed to be. Comfortable as the new nails cut into the leather. He felt his toes press a bit more into his boots, and his hair part for the itch on his forehead to be relieved. He didn't know exactly what he looked like right now, but no one else did. He didn't have to worry. He just had to win. His eyes opened to reveal the golden iris pushed his pupil to a slit. The pupil fought back so he could focus on the blades one last time.

"Go!" Mo called, but it was the movement of the cleaver that made King react. "What will The Dark Turtle do against The Bu—"

King had dashed to meet the suit of armour well before the centre. The creature barely had time to swing his blade before the leather gloves pounded into its chest and drove him into the ground, in a crater that rivalled the one from earlier. King wrapped his fingers around the cone shaped nose and dented it to the shape of his grip. His filled boots stomped into the ground and dragged the dull scraps out of the pit.

"What is going on! Is the match over? I don't think The Butcher is moving. Ren is taking him to the edge of the ring. Is he going to toss him out? Did he already win?" Mo's excitement was not shared with the stadium. They seemed to be enjoying the breath taking kind of surprise.

King raised his hand as high as he could, but the tall body caused flaccid feet to dress the stone. The rest of his body hanging over the sand a couple of feet below him. His pendulous arms almost drawing in the sand with a sway.

"I bet you didn't even apologise for what you did. You were weak, it is like you lost this match twice."

King dropped the chunk of metal into the sand. Its feet still remembering the match, while the rest of it forgetting to hold onto the chopper. He stepped down from the stage and found the nearest stone path to take him into the dark tunnel. Into the hope that part of the answer was presented.

***

Jack wasn't sure he could let more light in than the squint was presenting. Right eye first? The attempt revealed a bright orange eye staring at him. The eye shrunk to reveal it was in the fluffy body of a smiling creature. A smug creature.

"Look who is awake! You sure got your ass beat my boy." Tenny laughed and gripped his belly.

"Oh yea, well why is my ass the only part of me that isn't sore right now." Jack creaked to the side to take a look at the brightest source of light that he was guessing was the window. On the way to that sight, he noticed a black stone sitting on the table. His aching arms only allowed for the idea of grabbing it before his hope was answered with the aid of his recent opponent.

"It's black jade. The Daiyuian girl dropped it off, but she didn't want to stay." Iris placed it into Jack's hands before taking a seat again. "They have to earn those is Daiyu. It means that someone thinks you are a great warrior. I am not surprised, but it is still a great honour."

"Iris..." Jack plopped onto his back trying to position himself to see his guest with little movement. He looked down at the stone in his palm. "Thanks. My mentor has something like this. I wonder if it is for the same reason. I do feel proud. They are going to be so jealous."

"You earned it. Your heart was on display, and it must have looked cool. The whole arena is talking about you." Tenny snuggled up to his chin. Jack felt like he hadn't experienced that luxury in a while.

"Oh, I'm sorry, was there something I can help with Iris." Jack grunted and gripped the stone in a closed hand.

"I was hoping that you could help, but King told me he would help instead. Ace even gave me a head start into what I needed. They went off for his match, but I was listening, and I think it is already over."

"Ace? King? How much did I miss?" Jack looked to Tenny, but his shrug brought more confusion.

"I am not sure about it myself, but Ace said he will explain it when they get back. I hope you don't mind me hanging around."

"Not at all...that was a great match. I felt different, like I remembered something I had forgotten." Jack tapped his sides as fast has hid body would allow. Just realising that he was in a change of clothes. Tenny disappeared in a flash and brought back the wooden monkey hanging from a string.

"I have to thank you for something similar. I remembered who I used to be. Before I gave up for the first time. King says that he will show me that it is okay for me to fight after giving up."

"It sounds like my teammates have it covered. They really are wonderful, and I have been holding them back." Jack raised the black jade next to Tiger. Almost the same size. "I am not sure what answer you will find, but do you think it will involve travelling anytime soon?"

Jack felt the wooden totem burn his chest. He quickly gripped it and looked to the confusion in hazels. Jack turned to the side as quickly and took a long glance at the cleared sky and distant cityscape. He was sure he could see snow. So much snow.

"Never mind, I am sorry. Do you think I can close my eyes a bit until they come back. Please stick around, I just feel really tired all of sudden."

"Sure, I will hang out right here."

"Thanks, and thanks for coming to see me. You are really strong, Iris. I hope we fight again someday." Jack closed his eyes and saw the white snow again. His fist gripping the jade and wood. Travel. What for?

Jack felt the soft fur find his chin again and he was sure the soft fur felt the slow tear stream. Why does it hurt so much at a time like this? Because he would have enjoyed it? Because of Tiger? Because he forgot for a moment and had fun fighting?

Maybe travelling isn't the best. He could just get stronger her in Tells. This would be the worst he could get in this kingdom, and this isn't that bad. They will only get stronger with more fights. Strong enough for Ira, and then everyone goes home. Staying here is safe and the best way to save the world.

It is safe.

0