Chapter Forty Seven: Who goes where?(Null Tournament Arc)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The selection in the gallery waited for the boy to gather his words, some impatient while others confused, but they waited for something he couldn't find. The reds and oranges turned to thick blacks in the horizon, as screaming took him into a trance.

"Jack. I am here." Tenny landed on his shoulder and pulled on his face. A breath finally entering the stunned.

"Tenny..."

"I am here."

"Tenny. What do we do?" Jack pulled in his chest when looking into the blue and orange eyes of the creature. His mind constantly flashed scenes he could not forget, but the beat of his heart drilled him to the present. "What do we do?"

"We save them," Tenny said.

"What is going on?" Tana released Stella from a reunion hug. Her silver eyes now holding concern for the boy lost in chaos.

"Jack's village burned down when he was a child," Stella said.

"Ace burned his village down on accident, when Jack was 11," Tenny corrected. Tana covered her mouth. Her silver irises floating in a sea of white disbelief.

"Is this what we have been waiting for? Is this why you called me here!" A man with a shaved head and scanty greyed facial hair berated. Jack finally began to scan his company, and the loud man was one of two unrecognisable faces so far. The other standing next to Zeke, until Zeke went to Stella, had pink mixed into his greyed hair that left little to infer.

"Stop that, Otis!" Zeke's father spoke. Jack looked to see Liu standing there worried. Her arrival caused Jack's eyebrows to raise slightly.

"She found us in the stadium and helped us get to Mo and brought us here." Tana reacted to his gaze. Her words caused him to nod while soaking in his new friend's actions.

"I have men dying in the streets right now! What are we doing here!" Otis continued. Jack ignored him and continued scanning the crowd.

"Adam said to stop. I can vouch for this boy. They are already at work protecting Tells," Mo stepped up this time. Jack scanned for a second time, before turning to Tana.

"Where is Ace?" Jack asked.

"Does it matter where you friend is? I have come this far out of respect, but you will not waste my time anymore while my kingdom is under attack. I am in command here, and listening was a favour." The man turned to the few soldiers that made their way upstairs. Jack still ignoring the man and waiting on an answer to his question. "Head to the kingdom and stop those intru—"

"I will take command here." A man with wafting spiked hair and deep blue eyes said while sitting on the ledge. His appearance a surprise to everyone, while his appearance was no longer concealed by a white scarf, revealing a young man with a thin scar running from ear to the corner of his mouth.

"Blue what are you doing here?" Liu asked.

"Hey Liu, I am here on my mission, and I have also decided to help The Hummingbird."

"You are Arania. Syd Arania!" Otis's eyes were wide, and the name call widened the eyes of a few soldiers, Mo, Adam and Liu.

"He is one of the 14 Generals. They call him The Dragon Lancer," Liu almost stuttered.

"It is an honour Sir, but The Hummingbird?" Otis raised his head from the bow with his question.

"Yup, that guy over there. He is here trying to save your kingdom and I am vouching for him, so we will hear what he has to say, and most likely follow his plans." Syd smiled.

"With all due respect Sir. He is a boy, and an enemy to the empire. He doesn't seem to have an interest in helping us."

"You are right," Jack answered, "I plan on helping this kingdom, with or without you so what you do right now doesn't bother me, but for now, I need to know where Ace is?"

"Oh, I am sorry." Tana stumbled forward. "He went to check for safe points for people to gather. He told us to meet you here and follow your lead. He said that Mo was the key to all of this, and we had to calm everyone down."

"I can do it Jack." Mo stepped up. "The event hall has an amplifier and with enough mana I think we can get it to cover more range. I can do it." Mo's voice was shaky, but his eyes fixed on Jack's oranges. Jack nodding along, but his ears waiting for more information.

"King?" Jack looked back at Tana.

"He went to save Roland, but he is supposed to find us or join the biggest battles he sees." Tana finding confidence in her role. "Oh, I told Ace that we can gather people into the arena for safety. It is open enough, and Ace agreed."

Jack nodded his head and everyone else waited on words. He looked to Syd and focused deeply on the blues. "You knew about this. What is going on?"

"I really was following them for a while. They are a rebel group following a man named Michael. He used to roll with Arthur, but he broke off and is doing his own thing. I followed some low levels here and noticed more and more, so I stayed behind to see what they were up to. I had no idea that it would be this."

"Rebels. They are here for Lance, the former general. They already tried to poison him," Jack said. Otis looked shocked and ready to move at once.

"It can't be. He is too strong, especially in a city of warriors. A small attack like this has no chance." Syd shook his head.

"He is right Jack." Iris stepped forward. "The reason Lance was never a champion is because no solider above third seat is allowed to compete. They are way too strong."

"And most people on that level are involved with Dark Kingdoms and wouldn't risk showing their strength in an arena looked after by a former general. It would take quite the big fish to fight that old man one on one, even in his old age." Syd took a seat on the railing again. Luna took Stella's hand for attention. She grabbed a clump of silver at the top back of her head, then flexed her muscles. She was going to repeat the motion, but Stella's face contorted to instant understanding.

"There was a massive guy with a lot of scars, and I mean like massive. He looked like a big fish if there ever was one. He wore a chain in his ponytail, and I think it is still worth checking."

"I know who that can be." Syd looked to Iris. "Yea, he can be a threat."

"So, what do we do?" Ophelia asked. "We take down the boss and they all run home?"

"Do we know what is going on in the city? Why would they attack everything to get to the general?" Jack asked.

"Tells is one of the greatest kingdoms in all of Sovalan," Otis chimed in, "Rebel scum will climb on their high horse if they think they got the better of us. They want to burn Tells down for recognition!"

"That could make sense. I saw them using the vents from the Power Bank to get through the kingdom quickly and start fires. That is the most effective way to burn the city down," Syd notified.

"No," Luna said. All eyes fell on her. "Um. Chain. Go." Luna placed her finger on her lip and looked from the balcony to the rooftops. Her head turned back and forth until her finger pointed an area surprisingly absent from black smoke, but Jack knew that it all ends up in smoke. It is just a matter of time. "Daven Street. Port Street."

"Is that where you have been going off to all this time. Following chains?" Tana asked and was answered with a nod.

"That is the armoury. It is where we keep most of the treasured weapons, but more importantly, it is where almost all of the Null Armour is," Adam answered.

"They came for what we came for." Ace appeared on the gallery. He rubbed Luna's hair. "It would be bad if they get their hands on that, and the soldiers guarding the building."

"You must be the mentor." Syd walked to meet him. Ace looking at his neck.

"Lend me that scarf please." Ace looked up to meet his confused blue eyes.

"Okay so, they are after Null Armour and Lance. Who is goes where? Blue, you have to protect the general. How dangerous is that man if it is him?" Jack asked. Blue took off his scarf and gave it to Ace before turning Jack.

"Assuming the worst, then he is one of the best one on one fighters in the world. If he moves with a team, then even I will have difficulty."

"Ace, you go with him and see what you can do. It is the quickest way to finish them."

"Jack please." Ace stopped wrapping the scarf to look at him and then Ophelia. "Sis, Jack, please let me go and stop the fires. I can't let a fire take more homes in front of me. I won't be able to fight a strong opponent while knowing I should be stopping this chaos. Please Jack."

Ophelia looked to the boy and nodded her support. "Your right. Ace, go stop the fires and find us as soon as you are done. Tana and Mo, go make those announcements and try and get as many people out of the kingdom or to the arena as possible. Tana, convince everyone to help. Soldier, take your men and protect the Null Metal, and send who you need to at the Power Banks. If you can retake the vents, then they will have to flee through the city. Leave one exit from Tells for them only. No citizens. The rest of us will go to find Lance."

"I can't send my son." Adam stepped ahead of Zeke.

"Dad, I have to."

"No, that is far too dangerous. I hope you understand Hummingbird."

"Me too. Ed, I will just hold them back. I hate to say it, but they would just target me." Liu raised her hand.

"That is okay, you can help evacuate the streets. We have no idea who is down there, so it is good to have some strong warriors with the citizens too."

"You too Jack." Stella placed her hand on his shoulder. Ace nodded his head. "You are still really injured. Go and protect the armoury and help the people. Leave this to us." Iris and Ophelia expressed their agreement in their own ways.

"I am going with Jack," Tenny said.

"Me too." Luna took hold of Jack.

"They will need you at the battle," Ace protested.

"Jack already said it. We don't know who is on the streets, and he is already beaten up. He is this beaten up and he is giving his all for everyone here. It is because he will continue to give his all that I can't leave him alone. You aren't the only one fighting through painful memories right now Ace. I am going with Jack." Luna nodded vigorously.

Ace closed his eyes and soaked in the realisation. "I am sorry. Thank you for understanding, Jack."

"Don't thank me yet. Let's all go save Tells. Blue, you are fast and strong, so you lend your mana to Mo for the announcement then catch up. Soldier, I will go with you. Stella, I know you will handle this, but call us if you need to, and King should be there soon. Be careful still, I can only do all of this because I took your hand that day. Thank you, Stella."

"You don't thank me yet country boy. You all heard the boss, and you are still standing around. Come on, let's go, let's go!"

***

"Kingdom of Tellacules, hear me and hear me well. We are under attack, but we aren't the ones who should be afraid. This panic doesn't suit the kingdom of Tells, because they should be afraid for starting a fight with the greatest kingdom in the empire! We are Tells, the home of the warriors and the kingdom of greed! Each and every one of you are here because of your ambition and choices. Choices we cannot regret today because behind all that greed is a kingdom of dreamers, and we refuse to let our dreams be burned. So be greedy people of Tells. Greedily protect your lives. Greedily protect your family. Greedily protect your customers. Greedily protect everyone you can use in the future. Everyone needs to calmly get to the locations the soldiers are sending you. The arena, or the northern and southern gates. Stay clear of the western gate and the eastern gate has been sealed.

Fighters of the arena and those who dream to be. Now is the time to remind these rebels that the strongest warriors in the empire find themselves here. That your ambition outweighs their lofty ideals. That the hard work and sacrifices you make is the war you wage, and they have no right to take that from you. Save the person next to you! Save everyone! Work with the soldiers to get everyone to safety. Show them why you are here! There is no way a group of terrorists will beat our united and mighty warriors of Tells, of the Empire!

And last, for the rebels that thought this was a good idea. Get out while you can because I promise you that you are not ready for the rumble. Not in our kingdom. So, hurry up, because the rumble is ready."

***

"Bo could never." Ophelia laughed while running through the narrow corridors behind Iris and Stella. The sound of marching in the walls beside them was a sign they were happy for. Stella burst through the door to see a massive crowd much bigger than she previously witnessed in this location. A wave of relief washed over her knowing that the plan was working. It wasn't until her eyes took focus that she felt her stomach twist.

The people were pressed against each other, constantly swaying in unrhythmic burst as smaller ones fought for breath and bigger ones fought to move. The soldiers squeezing them tighter with more and more people joining in an attempt to keep them out of fall zones. Also trying to leave paths for the other soldiers on the move. Voices of a few leaders telling those to stay calm could be heard, but it paled to the skin crawling bawls of names for those missing. People could barely see past the person in front of them, there was no way to find anyone now.

Is this the result of battle? Stella unclenched her fist. This is the safe place. This is away from the fires and black smoke. Away from the those trying to kill. This is where they need to be right now, but most looked beaten and tired. The snow falling onto bloodied heads and thirsty faces. Stella couldn't imagine how long they would wait for that drink of water. Her eyes fell on Adio shielding some smaller people with his body. Blood running down from his eyebrow forcing one eye closed, but to wipe it would require him leaving that side defenceless for the old lady, steeled in her resolved, but trembling.

"Stells, we got to go. We don't know how much time we have," Ophelia called when she noticed the ashen haired warrior falling back. Stella took off after them, they had to finish this as soon as possible. Their cleared path aiming for the large stone palm without any fingers, holding a quarter of the orb. Ophelia whipped her hand close to the ground and a long twisting path stretched to the hand.

Running along yellow gave Stella a view of the countless people already filled into seats and along the steps. The stage was being filled at a rapid rate, and those resting in the open were already making room. The colossal arena wasn't as big as she thought. Her chest felt hollowed, but she looked ahead to the now pillar high above the chaos. Sitting in the greyed sky surrounded by black smoke, the snowfall coming to an end, they arrived to see the giant standing at the edge looking in a direction through a spyglass. The tool swallowed by the three fingers holding it up.

"Thank goodness you are here Miss Ursa." Lance took their attention. He was sitting in an undamaged leather chair with his cane to his side and a drink of golden liquid in a glass. The normality of the area in stark contrast to the large, demolished room. Woodwork and fabrics lay in shambles across the flooring. "I had heard something about Seth taking you. That crazy pile of bones. I am glad you finally defeated the man that took your arm."

"What is going on here?" Stella growled, as she looked at the mammoth paying them no attention. "How do you know my name?"

"Oh, forgive me. I had my suspicions from the moment you entered my kingdom. You think I would not know the talk of the empire came here and entered in a tournament. The ledger work was impressive though, to get an official ledger change." Lance fished a cigar from his jacket and began a smoke. "What you are witnessing here is an old man having the last drink and smoke of his life while his kingdom burns down. I don't think the four of us could take down that man if we tried, but he is here for me so get out of here while he isn't interested."

"Lance, we won't leave you." Iris walked closer.

"Don't be stupid Iris!" Lance barked. The large man finally turned and set his sights on The Wildflower, a slight raise in his eyebrow highlighted the intense dark eyes.

"No, they are right Gramps, looks like I get to save your life this time. Also, modesty doesn't suit you," Syd said from behind them. No signs of a yellow pathway or green trail told the grandeur of his casual feat.

"Arania. What are you doing here?" Lance muttered. That was the first time Iris saw him look slightly uncomposed.

"Just doing my duties Sir." Syd walked beside them, holding onto two short spears about half his height. One had a normal blade, but the other had a black ridged bone, spiked at the tip with a slight curl. The general locked eyes with the monstrous man smirking at him. A whistle left the lips of the smaller. "It really is you, Peppy. I owe you from last time."

"I barely missed my chance at Armhen, but do you really want Tells to be your grave boy." The giant's voice felt deeper than last time. It felt as if his words would quake the ground below them before they had a chance to leave.

"Oh, tough talk, you know you can't beat me and the old man together. Besides I just felt sorry for you last time. Get this guys, they call him 'The Avenging New King' because—"

"What are you doing, boy?" The man walked towards them. Each of the warriors, besides the general, twitched into a stance. Their vision fixed.

"Shut up, shut up. I have to tell this story. The world deserves to know. So they call him that because he was a warrior for Mistbury. One of the best ever, constantly protecting the kingdom, until some stupid politics happened, and the king was assassinated, and they left this guy out to die." The man relented himself to the story. He walked back to the edge and glanced through his spyglass again. Stella followed the direction to where she was guessing the armoury was.

"He went to the emperor for help, but Ors told him that any action wouldn't be worth it. That the usurper can rule once they weren't rebelling against the empire. On his return home, he found that the new king had assassinated his wife and a whole village they were hiding in. That is when Adrian 'T.A.N.K.' Pep went and destroyed the entire kingdom's ruling body. They wanted him to be king, but he left, crushing three more kingdoms before disappearing. A recent rumour saying that he was following a radical rebel. That's so sad right, but don't feel sorry for him. He uses that against you."

"Are you done with your dribble? I am doing what I am doing now because the empire needs change. Lackey boys like you will never understand how desperate the world is for the empire to crumble," Adrian said.

"Then talk about it. And weren't you a lackey boy too."

"I learned."

"That is unfortunate but isn't this too—" Stella started.

"Oh, so Peppy Tank, this is the Ice Queen. She recently crushed a kingdom as well and had someone die because of it, but I actually think that she is cool."

"What are you doing?" Stella grumbled.

"You guys have a story worth telling too. I was so happy to meet you guys, but you were in hiding and I didn't want to cause trouble. Once this is all over, your names will be cleared for sure. Helping me save a kingdom will get your lives back at least."

"What is going on? Aren't you a general." Ophelia was completely relaxed at this point. She started fishing in her pockets, disappointed when she realised she didn't have it.

"I am. I am also not blind. The empire isn't the best place in the world, but my few trips to the southern continent told me that we had it good." Syd turned and walked to the edge taking a good view of the kingdom. His back completely turned to the enemy showed that he had a confidence in the pieces on the board. Two generals against a revolutionary did sound like overkill, as Stella found her own shoulders being dissolved of tension.

The blue haired man turned to them again. "There are so many things that I see are wrong. So many things I do that I hate. I didn't want to fight you at Armhen to protect those self-serving geezers, but I wanted to protect the innocents that never wanted that battle. The people that were hoping they could go to sleep peacefully with their loves that night. Again, you guys do this. Again, there are people caught in this."

Stella found herself drawn to this man's words. His childlike demeanour strengthened the childlike innocent ideals he was spouting. The images of Adio bleeding rushed to her mind. She wanted to hear more from this hopeless hopeful. She wanted to see what Jack could do with power.

"The only difference between me and you, Tank, is that I am not fooling myself into thinking I have the answer. I fight for the empire because it is the side that is saving the most lives."

"You are the fool if you think that. The empire takes away more lives every day, more than we ever could with its outdated hypocrisies. You are more delusional than anyone who dreams of change." Adrian's low voice didn't fit an argument. His words were too heavy and stacked on each other. Every statement he made, felt like the conversation was now over, but not to a child. A child ready to argue until he got what he wanted.

"Maybe, but the debate has ended with blood in the streets again. Blood in that man's streets. I am not that delusional." The blue eyes snapped onto Stella's. They were soft and apologetic, telling a story that she felt she had seen before. "The emperor is a good man. I ask him about the things I see and he always hears me out. Ors sits with me and explains every consequence for the actions I talk about. How one thing can uproot thousands of lives in a second, and I get it sometimes, but it never feels right.

"That is why I was amazed with Kofka. You guys didn't play the game like everyone else. Did you hear about it Peppy? They took a kingdom and gave it back to the people. Not abandoning it like you or holding it like those war hungry bastards. They tried and fixed the problem they found without the empire's help. With the empire's rules, and they still got screwed for it. I knew they were special from that alone, but then I heard The Dog went to find them. I heard he even trained them a bit. THE DOG."

Stella felt all tension take her shoulders again when the two other men looked at her. Their stories coming from the mouths of powerful people in the ears of the same was something she didn't like.

"I thought they had disappeared after, crushed by the government, but I ran into them here. I wanted to see who they were for myself and guess what I found them doing, you won't guess. He was trying to find a cat. A lost cat in Tells, can you imagine. A guy who was wanted by the empire, running around rooftops in a terrible disguise, all to help a couple of children. They were everything I imagined, it's so interesting. Stories worth telling.

"So, what I am getting at is. You all should join the empire, not you old man, you did your time, but everyone else. Ors wouldn't let someone of your power go to waste, Peppy, and the Ice Queen and The Hummingbird as part of the military. I want to say that we could make a difference on the inside, but you know how hard that is right old man. You have probably seen it all and decided to run to this kingdom against the empire's ideals. Even if you aren't going to join us, you are still going to have to turn yourself in Tank. That is the way it goes."

The giant scoffed before the smirk. Two expressions that didn't sit right with the tired trio. Their bodies tensing their muscles to ready a stance, until they made a slight jump from the sound of the cane touching the stone. Lance clicked the tool with every step to the edge, leaving his emptied glass on the couch and then flicking his barely touched cigar off the edge. Stella hoped there wasn't a crowd where he aimed.

"You talk an awful lot Arania. Poor Adrian just wants to do his job and you carry on and on. You are right about me running away to this kingdom, and I have seen it all, but what are you really carrying on and on about?" The old man's eyes focused on everything in the distance. "If you don't have an answer then what are you doing here? You weren't supposed to be here."

"Move!" Stella yelled as green pushed her in front of the general. In front of the hidden sword.

0