Chapter Forty Nine: Did you really care?(Null Tournament Arc)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It wasn't that strange to Stella. The feeling of fighting someone stronger. The feeling that they were toying around, even though she knew he had no reason to be. However, the sensation of a victory waiting to be found at any moment, wasn't present. It was almost as if the battle was hopelessly draining them, like there wasn't a point to continuing, but she wasn't even allowed to hold that thought in her head. Thinking distracted her from surviving.

The old man continued to glow his edge in various colours. It was almost like a useless warning of something they couldn't stop anyway. There only hope lied in the shield to stop the mimics from ripping through them, but the old man was cautious. His free hand grabbed at the shield and tried to rip Iris's only arm off, and icon screamed like it was about to happen until King flew at him. King was able to shift the red projection and attacked his gut. Lance twisted away and threw his sword at the charging Ophelia, but she crashed to the ground just in time. Now he was free to punch King into the ground.

Stella rushed in with The Huntress, the opponent parring both of their combinations with ease. They were careful not to get in each other's way, keeping their attacks to understood sections, but the old man still guided their blows to one another. Stella jumped back and retrieved her spear, but this allowed Lance to flip Ophelia and retrieve his sword.

King was slow to get to his feet. Stella saw the darkness run from his cheek, only to reveal a large bruise. That is bad. Behind their standstill, Stella could see flames whipping around, but quickly shut down, as the giant pushed forward on the general. He must be holding back his Mystical Weapon in fear of collateral like Vidar, but the constant ground shaking slams she witnessed made her question his ability to help them. Whoever wins their battle first, wins everything. They have to hurry up.

Stella charged with her spear in hand. She prodded from a distance; each strike aimed to push into a part of him hard to defend. No strike would be able to take him down, but any contact might open the door to something, anything. It was unfortunate that the skilled swordsman was able to parry all her blows and King's spelled up fists with ease. Stella and King were two fluid fighters, so moving around and finding gaps felt natural to them, but all the excess movement stopped the other two from finding ways in.

"How do we win?" Ophelia yelled over to her comrades. Stella didn't see how she could confidently ask about the impossible. We just survive, Stella thought.

"We wait for Ace," Stella answered with optimism. Ophelia looked around, prompting girl to make glances as well. "Yea I can see that he won't be here in a while."

Their view of the world around them was clearly clouded by thick black smoke carrying orange to the heavy grey ones trying to hug the ground. It was as if the sky was fighting the earth, but the fiery kingdom of Tells was too much. The snow had stopped, and peeks of the sun was presenting itself, like pillars of light fizzling out before they touch land. If only an opportunity burst through like that for them.

"There must be a way. We will figure it out," Iris howled and raised his shield. Everyone steadily found a place behind it. The old man barely, barely gripping his weapon, pointed it at group.

"Now that one hurts me. How can you say that, you of all people should know how impossible that is, my boy." The calmness in Lance's face made his words cut.

"I can say it because I have seen how amazing all of them are. You are just one man. We will stop you. You will pay for burning Tells!" Iris had a spark in him that commanded the air. Stella felt herself drawn to the inspiration, but no thoughts on what to do with it snuffed it just as quickly. "He has two hands. King and I could rush forward and be shields. You two can attack when you get the chance."

"Hold on. King is barely surviving those strikes," Stella dissented.

"I can do it. Barely is all we can afford, but it might be all we need. You guys can do it, just try and hurry." King's smile ripped at her chest. The shy dragon that hated fighting, fought for them so many times in the last couple days. He always had faith in them being the coolest without looking at himself, and even now he was doing what he could with faith in them. The faith she wanted her friends to put in her. The thing she asked for was given to her with so much confidence that fire swelled through her body.

"Okay. King, don't only focus on defence. If you can hit him then do so. Remember your favourite move against the leopard. Look out for it, but faster."

Iris led the charge, but isolating one arm was harder than it sounded, especially for the man with one arm. His shield crashed against the sword. Making an attempt to seize the weapon using the twisting metal on the flower shield, but the expert warrior manoeuvred himself and the blade out of trouble. His sword and footwork kept the dragon and icon twisting and closing all gaps for the two girls in wait.

"I remember when we got you that shield. You were so promising. The future of Tells, making me and Nenty proud. She wouldn't like you using it against me like this," Lance prodded.

"Don't talk after you burned down our home!" Iris pushed against him, but Lance followed the flow. Iris stopped the push when he realised that he didn't have a follow up.

"You are wrong my boy. I burned down Tells for the world to evolve. Imagine the entire empire like our beloved kingdom. Everywhere like the home that took in your mother and nothing like the land that treasures your father. Join us Iris. I should have asked you sooner."

"Don't listen to him! You are the one of them that hurt Iris," King yelled while fending off attacks with his magic skin, "You don't get to talk to him anymore!"

"You should learn some manners." Lance kicked King in the stomach, sending him backwards but he remained on his feet while gripping at the pain. "Don't butt into your elder's conversation boy."

"I am way older than you...you...you bag of bones!" King readied his stance.

"King!" Stella called.

"I am sorry. I know that was too mean. I didn't mean it," King called back.

"Not that! Open him up!"

"Oh, got it." The dragon rushed ahead keeping low to the ground. Stella close behind him with her spear edge collecting red. It must work if he keeps using it. King swiped up and Iris pushed forward. Stella leapt at the opening and tried to bring her red edged spear down.

"You are way too inexperienced for that spell," Lance calmly said before tossing an inch wide red orb into the spear's path causing it to explode and send Stella flying back. Agony burst from her throat and drew the attention of all of her team members. Ophelia rushed to her side and summoned a yellow wall for safety.

"Stella are you okay?" King yelled.

"Watch out!" Iris stunned the blade tip from hitting King. The Wildflower and dragon flew backwards with the impact.

"It's okay! Keep going. I am coming now!" Stella looked down at her left hand, her thumb nail almost touching her wrist as blood leaked from the ripped skin failing to keep the finger in place. Ophelia grabbed the digit and pulled it back to an aesthetic spot, but movement was minimal, and her hand refused to stop trembling. She tried to summon blue to her hand, but the spell only collected a few orbs before dispersing. "Cover it, I can't use spells right now." Ophelia nodded and ripped her sleeve the bind the thumb to a closed fist. The blue sleeve immediately coloured dark red.

"I don't hit with fire mimics. I release them before impact, or the recoil would be detrimental," Lance called.

"Thanks for the advice, but we aren't done yet!" Stella peeked from behind the wall. She looked to Ophelia. "Can you distract him so I can shoot at him?"

"Got it." The Huntress sprinted from behind the wall, keeping low she pulled yellow from the ground and pushed large rectangles at the man. A blue and green edge cut the spell before it could reach him. The spells must be class three for him to switch so fast, but they carried class two power easily. How fast was his casting?

Ophelia kept up with the ranged yellow, and King and Iris tried to occupy his hands, but his close-range speed and reactions still allowed for him to parry them and slice spells. It was like his green eyes were looking into the future. How practised was he? Does retirement not dull the senses? Ophelia swallowed the stress and decided that thinking wasn't the best right now. Keep fighting. Help will come.

"Now!" Stella called, and Ophelia greened to the left. A spear flew at rapid speeds, pushed by a green trail towards the swordsman he barely escaped it taking off his shoulder, a piece of his suit tearing was conformation of that. King was floating in the path and grabbed the weapon from the air, using its momentum and his twisting body to swing it at the former general. Lance just able to raise his blade before being smashed back.

The old man stayed on his feet and there wasn't a sign of impact anywhere on his body, but the blade shattered. A rugged edge, half the original length ejected from the cane's handle. The man eyed the missing gap until blue with yellow swirls remade the shape. He tested the swing before brushing his hair back into place. A long breath escaped him.

"I do admit that was good. I almost thought that first throw was aimed to kill me. This is tougher than I like. It isn't too late Ir—"

The general skated across the ground in front of them. Everyone stared him down before looking at the bruised giant walking standing in his half waiting on his opponent. Everyone looked to the general again, his body bruised and blooded. The winner being obvious.

"I feel everyone staring at me and it doesn't help. How are you guys holding up?" Syd grunted while sitting up.

"I didn't know it was possible to be doing worse than us," Ophelia jeered.

"Funny stuff! Oh I am laughing so hard right now. I told you guys that he is one of the best at one-on-one fighting. I am going to need more time."

"Or another opponent. Can you handle Lance?" Stella called.

"Oh, this old man, I can beat him in my sleep." Syd scoffed. Stella didn't like the turn in the green eyes. "Switch. Everyone switch!"

"Oh no we aren't done yet!" Lance readied his step, but any forward path was cut off by a wall of flame spraying from the black horn.

"Too bad Lancey. Looks like it's between us. You know with a name like Lance, I figured you would have fought like me." Syd clicked the two ends of his short weapons together into a long one. He pointed the horn while the blade hovered slightly above the ground.

"You think you are so cute, don't you?" Lance shook his head. "Some delusional people have spoiled you for the rest of the world, not teaching you etiquette is a sin I hope they pay for."

"And you sound like a tool."

***

They all dashed towards the waiting behemoth. His thin eyes scanning for any lead in the line. King tossed the spear back to Stella before she tossed it to Ophelia.

"A two-handed weapon," Stella said and The Huntress nodded. Stella summoned an Ice Sword and fell behind the charge.

King moved forward, but Iris was the first to reach the giant. The monster's palm almost covering the entire shield, stunning The Wildflower. Adrian swung at the stagnant icon, but Ophelia was there as the spear tip drew yellow from the ground quickly into the attacking knuckles, but only for the spell to be smashed. It drew enough time for her to summon another yellow pillar pushing against his bicep, finally halting the blow. She stretched the weapon close to the new pillar and pulled another one from it into the chest of the mammoth. Another one from that one struck his chin. Stella made use of the yellow paths the run close to his head and shatter her ice sword on his shoulder.

"I have seen that move somewhere." Iris grinned.

"Yea, I picked it up recently. The last guy to use it lost though." Ophelia chuckled.

"Stop jinxing it," Stella barked.

King rushed. Black flames danced from his fist as he aimed for the dazed man's chest, but the massive palm slammed him to a crater. The giant using that same hand to help regain his balance. King screamed under the pressure and Iris dashed forward but he was caught by the same hand as last time. Stunned again, but he dug his feet into the ground and pushed against the hand with everything he had.

"I...am...not going to lose...in...strength! I...am...a...berserker...too!" Iris grunted.

"Oh, you think I am a berserker? I am a grappler, why would I give up my control over earth mimics when I am always close to the ground?" Adrian raised his hand from the chest of King and hovered it above the ground. A giant earth wall erupted from the floor, lifting the dragon and the icon. The introduction of an unstable footing was what the giant needed to pull Iris from the height and shatter him through the spell. Ophelia caught the falling dragon, but Iris was pinned to the ground under his shield. Blood exited with the air pressed from his body.

Stella planted her feet and blasted red at the face of her opponent, but his forearm withheld the explosions. He inhaled and wiped some sweat from his brow. He is that strong with just Mana Strengthening. It looked like an impossibility. He looked down at the fallen shield man being dragged back by Ophelia, and smirked.

"I came to the arena when I was younger. That time, Nenty was the champion, and I was blown away by her style. Anyone and everyone could be brought down and pummelled. Sure, she had to keep her range, when those thought they could poke her, but any slip up and she was charging like a bull.

"I came back another time and saw her in a qualifier match, you know that free for all thing you guys try, and I thought she was done for. A grappler handling all those opponents, but then once she made her way to the top of that pillar, it was all one on one again. She was unstoppable, and that was when I was convinced to learn that style. Looking at you I am a bit disappointed. I think the Sand Bull would be prouder of me than you."

Iris was in a daze, struggling for breath. Stella wasn't sure he even heard the words, as his hazel eyes fought from rolling back. The dragon's son took his time raising from the rubble, his eyes half covered by his eyelid, but his fangs revealed by a snarling lip.

"She was proud of him. She would always be proud of him because he is a good man. Not a man that burns down a kingdom. Iris is someone that anyone would be proud of. Iris is our friend, and he is better than you ever will be!" Two pure black horns formed on King's forehead. His eyes glowing yellow, and his ears gathering a dark peak. A pitch-black tail floated from his lower back and his feet grew into spiked appendages.

"What the hell are you?" Adrian grunted.

King burst forward and a long black tendril extended from his hand like a black flame tunnel with the black embers dancing off. The tunnel pounded Adrian's guard into his chest, pushing the giant back almost to the edge. The pushed was able to shift his guard lower, and lean his body onto the magic arm, twisting to the side of it he gripped the spell and dragged the dragon forward. King braced but the fist still twisted him to one knee. Black covering his face where the impact was, but blood escaped his mouth.

The grip was strong, and his technique was flawless. The Ranker dragged King around, into a series of tosses before the dragon could get his other hand to whip into the opponent's shoulder. He was slow to rise, but he continued to rise. Calmly he walked and threw his black flame arm again and again at the man. A few connected, but the majority was taken advantage of to close the distance. Knocked down again and again, but the dragon continued to rise.

Iris had his eyes on the fight, while he fought for the energy to stand. Stella helped him to his feet but help anywhere else on this battlefield felt impossible. King grunted in agony every time his body hit the ground now. The giant trying to rain fist from above, but King's unusual magic caused hesitation. Sweat pouring from the man, and his breathing was taken up by his mouth.

"He isn't a berserker so his Mana Strengthening still drains mana. He is getting tired," Stella said.

"Yea but aren't we worst off." Ophelia propped The Wildflower on her shoulder.

"We have to help King. He can't hold out much longer," Iris dragged.

Stella drew a deep breath. She wanted to, just as much as they did. It was burning her inside, to not rush in, but Ace lectured her a hundred and one times about rushing in. Her emotions were powerful and playing them wrong could hurt them all. She looked off the edge for her mentor, and noticed most of the flames were finished. The sun had parted the clouds and they beat down on the thinning black smoke. The kingdom was completely visible from this height, so much so that Stella felt closer to the clouds than her friends trying their best to save everyone. Ace must have been really quick to stop those fires. Jack would have loved this view. The Hummingbird.

Stella turned to the giant still intertwined with the dragon. Both of them moving slower, but one blooded and one sweaty. "Ophy, he is pretty slow compared to us right?"

"Mhm, but still fast enough."

"The faster we move, the harder we can hit technically, right?"

"Mhm."

Stella summoned a small ice blade before dispersing it, her head shook. She looked to Iris. "I have a plan and I need both of your help. I need to fly."

***

King didn't know how to win. He didn't know there were people this strong besides his dads and Virgo. He didn't know how much more his body could take. He didn't know he could be in this much pain. He didn't know how he continued to get up. He didn't know where his friends were. He didn't know if they were alright. He didn't know when Ace would get there. He didn't know much at the moment, but he did know that he wanted to keep trying because his friends believed in him. Sometimes the less you know, the better.

King dug his toes into the stone and tensed his calves as much as possible. His weight was falling forward, but at the angle he felt comfortable, he pushed towards the man. He knew there was no hands to dodge because his opponent was waiting on his move. He felt power in his right arm while throwing it forward. His spell ripped from his hand and slammed into the behemoth's clutches. They pushed against each other, but King could feel his calves tense up more than they just did. Maybe more than they ever did. He was being pushed back, and pressing with his claws only caused the stone floor to rip away with him. He didn't want to lose. He wanted them to finish this. Ace wouldn't have to fight. He wouldn't have to break his promise to Miss Anne. He wouldn't have to be that man again! He would get to be free for however long it last! That won't end today!

King saw Stella burst past him. Green jumped her to the side but only using one hand slowed her down greatly, luckily her random pattern made it hard for eyes to follow her. She dashed past the beastly man and slashed at his back with an ice blade. It shattered without a flinch, but she was on the move again. Adrian fought to release King's grip, but the dragon held on with all he had while the girl dashed around. It looked like when their teacher fought sometimes.

Adrian dragged King forward and planted a knee into his stomach. King collapsed, force to let go of the grip, but he didn't see Stella anymore. Iris ran ahead and threw his shield into the air before taking hold. King and Adrian followed the tool's path, as they saw Stella catch it in the air. King ran and gripped onto the other hand. He stretched his dark hand into the ground and held on as tight as he could. Ophelia appeared behind Stella with green in her palms. The Ice Queen tilted her body until her feet face her friend. The green orb placed just below her soles, then release. Stella blasted forward with the shield in front of her. The giant pulled on his hands to get out of the way, but the two refused to abide. The Null Metal Ore crashed into his forehead, driving him and the holders down to the ground. A crater left under him. Ophelia rushed over to help Stella stand, while the other two crept to their feet. Iris reached down to remove his shield from the face of the giant to reveal his eyes rolled behind his head.

Stella's knees buckled but Ophelia was there to hold her. She didn't know tension could keep someone up like that. King wasn't so fortunate. He slumped to the ground and laid there. Iris went to pick him up, but he refused to move. The Wildflower laughed and agreed to check back in 5 minutes.

"What happened to beating him in your sleep?" Stella walked up next to the general. He was panting, and blood ran from a cut on the bridge of his nose. Stella saw the jagged edge of the broken sword dripping red. The former general was missing any lacerations, but his left eye was swollen shut and his jaw bruised.

"Who goes to sleep while the sun is still up?" Syd said between breaths.

"Adrian." Stella's tone was flat.

"Ha!" The general turned to confirm. "I like you Ice Queen. That is how we do it, and oh the snarky finish. We would so get along. Become my lieutenant."

"Surrender Lance. It is over!" Stella left the request behind and approached the former general. "You can't possibly beat all of us."

The green eyes decided on Iris as a target. They lingered there, softening in a way that Stella wasn't sure of. The same eyes that was able to draw her in with its understanding of power was showing her more. The clanking of his broken sword falling to the stone was what broke her trance.

"I do surrender. I am old enough to know when I am beat." He used both of his hands to fix his hair before tidying up his suit. He had a limp while walking and his left shoulder dropped to favour his ribs. No one speaking, just watching the old man's actions. He walked over to the large heap of wood to the side and fished around until he found a tall bottle of white liquid. The misshaping face showed that it wasn't the ideal drink for the situation. He made his way to the lone chair that survived the battle and took a seat. He reached in and pulled out the cigar without fishing around, like his mind was on it the entire time or like it was the last one so there was no resistance. Like it itself was waiting to taint the air with its potent goodbye.

Ophelia patted her clothing again, until her memory served her. The desperation in her face when the cigar was lit, told a story of pride being battled. The old man drank from the bottle after an exhale and his green eyes focused on Iris again. "Care to join me, son? We may not have an opportunity for a while."

"For a while?" Syd interrupted. "I am not sure you know this, but Ors has really had it with you rebels. You probably won't see sunlight again."

"Says the idealist youth that doesn't know how the world works. Arthur roams free as a rebel leader for a reason. You think it will be any different for me?" The old man scoffed.

"You aren't Arthur." Stella felt the words slip from her thoughts of the brazen old tiger. The words looked like they struck a nerve that danced on the old man's forehead.

"Who would want to be anyway."

"Are you guys okay?" Ace stole the show from the edge of the platform. Around his eyes was covered in soot, while the previously white scarf held the rest of the story. Ophelia was the first to wobble over.

"Brother please," she murmured while moving towards him with dewy eyes. His expression rang confusion, but two fingers placed to her lip immediately caused him to search his pockets. "You aren't joining me?"

"I had enough smoke in me for today." Ace's expression held no joke, as he handed her the rest of the pack and began his search for a lighter. The black dragon horn ignited a small flame at the tip and met the end of the cigarette. Ophelia nodded and retreated to any pile of rubble high enough from the ground to be called a seat.

"Mentor, you did good in stopping those fires. I can't wait to learn about you," Syd said.

"Oh, the thing is, you put out the fires. I told everyone that I was you." Ace laughed and returned the dirtied scarf.

"Why would you do that? It was a story worth telling don't you think?" Syd used the fabric to wrap the horn.

"I have no idea what you are talking about." Ace kept his smile, but there was a small awkward flavour to it now.

"Don't mind him." Stella approached her mentor, but the slow walk and unsteady knees forced him to meet her with a weightbearing shoulder. "What is going on down there?"

"I have no idea. I rushed here as soon as I could have."

There was a long pause as the violets soaked in the damaged platform floating in the beautiful blue sky. Her breath visible as burst since she still didn't accomplish the task of returning it to normal. "We did it." She smiled.

"I knew you would."

"Yea, but what are we going to do now?" Syd leaned on Stella.

"You are the general. Why are you asking us?" Ophelia was pounding life into her legs.

"Well, I have to tie them up, and take them in. You wouldn't be able to help me with that would you? I don't have any Syng Dark Binds, and it would take a lot of metal to bind the big guy."

"Tells is supposed to have a couple. Adam Mups should know where it is. It is just to find him and...that is a far walk." Iris sighed.

"I can help for now, but it is temporary." Tenny strolled past them. Luna gripped her sister from behind, crashing them to the ground. The older one gripped at the sky for escape but she was pinned.

Tenny jumped in the air and black fabric folded around Lance, pinning him to the chair. His head fell forward and a couple of strands of greyed hair tickled his face. Jack stood at the ledge and looked at the fallen worries. His orange eyes fully shown, and his mouth barely open as he absorbed the story told in the devastation.

"Is everyone okay?" Jack asked in a strained soft voice. A few nods answer the boy. "King?"

"Asleep," Iris answered.

"That you, Jack?" Lance called while jolting his head in desperate attempts to return the hair to the predominant flow. "I was wondering why The Hummingbird did not join in our little fray."

"So it was you...how could you? You burned your own kingdom, for what? You sounded like you loved this place," Jack snarled.

"It is because I love this place, my boy. An idealist inept to politics of a nation wouldn't understand the need of sacrifice to get anything done. Nothing moves forward without it leaving something behind. Tellacules would have been the necessary spark for the entire empire to grow. We have all heard the story of the Pheonix. The one trying to kill the gods. Its uncrushable power that rose from the ashes. It is from our ashes a stronger empire will rise."

"You delusional piece of shit!" Jack rushed forward and took the old man's collar. "People died down there. People died defending this kingdom while its leader was the one burning it down. Innocents that loved living here are dead. People are dead!" Jack's fist was hovering the in the air.

"Necessary sacrifices." The old man barely finished his words before Jack pounded his knuckles into the old man's jaw. Blood leaking from a lip and ripped up knuckles.

"People aren't sacrifices. People don't deserve this." Jack hand finally came down. No one made a move as they watched the boy retreat from his anger next to Stella.

The one open green eye locked onto the boy, before the owner spit a chunk of blood to the side. "I will be out soon boy, and I will kill you for that ignorant action."

"I hope you do find me, so we can beat you again, and you will forever be reminded that you are just a murder. There was no sacrifice because you failed. You are a murderer, and you don't deserve to forget. So find me. Find me for the rest of your sorry life and I will always remind you." Jack was panting after releasing all his words.

Syd placed a hand on his shoulder. "I'll take it from here. You all did amazing today. I really wish I could have stayed behind and celebrated with you guys. Learn more and enjoy the kingdom, but I have to get these guys to Nocturne."

"Thank you to. I would have never believed you were one of the 14," Jack said.

"Yea, I know you haven't had the best experience with them, but I am glad that isn't the case this time. I will keep my promise and your names will be cleared. You won't have to be Ed anymore.

"And you. Mr. Mentor, I had half the mind to not fight and wait on you. I am curious about all of you."

"Well, thank The Three that the other half was smart." Ace pat him on the shoulder and went to pick up King.

"The snarky remarks! I can't wait for you guys to join the military. I will be seeing you around!"

"Oh, I hope not!" Ace called from the dragon's resting spot.

Jack looked to the sprawling blue skies devoid of any signs of the snowy battle it waged against the kingdom. He looked to tiny buildings spotting the landscape, and the missing sections where lives once lived. They will be built again, and the kingdom would survive, but some did not. Jack sighed and took a seat by Ophelia's feet. Her hand ran through his hair, and he continued to look at a view he would have loved to see again, above better circumstances.

How could there be any celebration after this?

0