DISAPPEARANCE 4.2
74 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'll have to go back to work soon." She glimpsed at her watch. "I've got a few last minute consultations to go through-" Her expression creased. "Unusually busy for the weekend."

"What do you mean?" His inquiring was spontaneous.

"Just an observation." She replied vaguely, as to brush off the topic. "Anyways, you'll have the whole place to yourself again-" A quick gesture to show off the not so inviting pharmacy, a somewhat sarcastic way to point out the near derelict state of the place. "Not much-"

"It's perfect for me." He didn't let her finish, his reply honest and comforting. "You just do your thing, and don't worry about me." He hushed.

She gathered her things and proceed back to the hospital. Reaching her work station in the middle of the night had never been a problem, but as of late, something in the city seemed different; she felt a change in those around her, the people she worked with, and the few individuals she allowed in her personal life.

She arrived shortly, the usual guard greeting her as she walk through the main entrance to the central building. The night staff was minimal as always, but she did noticed her supervisor seemed absent, as his name wasn't on any employee entry board. The door to his office remained half opened, a glimpse at his desk indicating he seemed to have left in a hurry. She refocused her attention, as she noticed one of the nurse rushing back to the night reception, a distressed look on her face.

"Dr Scott Jones' name isn't on here." Anaka commented spontaneously.

"He's not here- he came in a few hours ago, he seemed pretty preoccupied-" The nurse answered, her overall appearance clearly stressed out. "I'm sorry- I'm still trying to get the hang of things around here-"

"You're one of the new staff member, one of the nurse in training, correct?" Anaka took a guess.

"I am." She nervously answered. "My name's Sarah, first day on the job- for the night shift I mean."

"I'm Anaka, second year pediatric fellowship." She gave her a gentle smile, before taking another look at the entry board. "Looks like you'll be under my wing tonight." Her expression frowned slightly; only two name were listed: Sarah's and hers. "I have some files to revise first, so you'll be on your own for a bit longer. But, I'll be right here if you need me, ok?" She gave her a reassuring look. "Don't be shy. Stay calm, and don't over stress." She winked. Sarah's expression lightened up a bit; she gathered a few things and proceeded on with her second round.

Left to her paperwork, Anaka's thoughts remained unfocused, the last few months nothing short of difficult; with strange occurrences sprouting like weeds, the number of sick children increasing at a worrisome rate. She flipped through the multiple files; several kids from all over the city, and a handful from the orphanage, but each of her young patients sharing similar symptoms. Uneasiness weighed heavily on her, too many things didn't add up, too many routes being shut down before her. She glimpsed in direction of Dr Jones' office, her mind restless, her fingers fidgety as they repeatedly tapped on the desk. Since Scott isn't around, maybe that's my chance-

Wasting no time, she headed inside, making sure that both the coast was clear, and her window of opportunity secured. Either he had to leave in a hurry, or someone caused this mess looking for something... The evidence seemed clear; although not the tidiest person, the senior doctor still retained a certain order when it came to his workplace.

She scrutinized the small room, her eyes scanning for something, anything. She had no idea what to look for, or if she would even find anything out of place. It contained what you'd expect from a doctor's office: a variety of books, a handful of frames decorating the walls, and an array of medical trinkets on his desk. But her search eventually led her to a note, sticking out from underneath the keyboard. Her heart skipped a beat, as she grabbed the single file. July 25... compatibility testing- Ruben!?

 

11