CLOSURE 11.1
37 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The silhouette remained in place, swaying in a slow motion; a rasped breathing echoed across the room, faint moans adding to an already chilling atmosphere. He gestured for her to wait there, while he cautiously approached the moving shape; weapon up, and ready to anticipate the possible threat. From behind, he could already tell what is was about to face; a blood soaked lab coat, flesh peeling off its grayed skin, a few fingers missing on the man's hands. And at its feet, was another dead mercenary; bite marks on his arms, a bullet wound on his leg, and one clean shot to the head.

Shit... Remaining at safe distance, he circled around. Now face to face with the infected, he didn't hesitate; aiming straight at the head, he pulled the trigger, his expression creased with abhorrence.

Although startled by the sound of gunfire, she had foreseen the incumbent action. Taking in a deep breath, she slowly walk to where Billy stood. She looked down at the dead man; a bloodied name tag imprinted with the Umbrella insignia, his face somewhat familiar.

"I know this man-" Her eyes narrowed, as she kneeled to take a closer look at the tag. "Henri Dolvers..." She snarled. "He was one of the doctors who took away Ruben... looks like that bastard got what he deserved." She noticed an envelop sticking out of his pocket.

"What's that?" He wondered, as she pulled it out.

"Pictures... hospital staff registry... and a generous amount of money-" She examined its content. "All names are crossed out-" Her jaw tightened.

"Except two-" His expression frowned. "His, and a Dr Jenens."

"I don't know that name... and nothing adds up-" Her mind stormed with bits and pieces of information they had collected so far. "We have a hospital whose staff is either missing or has been killed... three dead mercs that we know of- god knows what they were doing here... a list of names, pictures of random landmarks, about two grand in cash... and something about extracting LUCY..." Fuck. She locked her hands behind the back of her neck; her head looking up, yet her eyes focused on nothing.

She walked away few moments later, and circled the room in search of a means to release the locks. Rusty pipes and enginery filled most of the area, along with many shelves and storage units at its center. She scanned their surroundings with care, but found no panels or devices that required the two plugs in their possession. Her increasing frustration clashed with her growing desperation; her desire- her need to just end this nightmare slowly consuming her rational thinking.

"There's nothing else on B2- we're wasting our time here." She rejoined Billy, who had mirrored her search. "Let's just get down to B3." Her face displayed heavy fatigue, her eyes reddened from the accumulation of sleepless days. Her course of action seemed hasted, her thoughts rushed, but understandably so.

They returned to the elevator, and headed down to the remaining level. A stench far worse than before, hit them the moment they stepped out of the car; the smell of death seeping through their pores, the sickening odor a strain on each of their step. The damage seen on the floor above had reached this one as well; a few inches of rusty water filled the entire ground, blood splattered all over the cracked and moldy walls.

"God..." She tried in vain, to shield her mouth and nose from the nauseating air. "I'm afraid I know what's causing this stench..." He nodded in agreement, a hand covering the lower part of his face. They proceeded down the uneven hallway, the screeching of nearby rats adding to the sound of distant growls.

"You hear that?" He got his weapon ready, her worried expression answered him. Ceiling lights were spaced several meters away from each other, their brightness dim and small in diameter; a few flickered on and off, swaying as if bumped by something. She stayed behind him, as they continued down the corridor.

"What- the..!?" He stopped dead in his tracks; his eyes wide and unblinking, starring straight ahead, his expression mortified.

"Billy..?" She noticed his shivering body. She circled around, her mind unprepared for what she was about to witness.

 

 

9