ANEW 14.1
24 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

July 27 1998 | 10:45AM - Stoneville Scrapyard

Her response wasn't prompt, not because she didn't know what to answer, but more on the how to properly reply. He could almost see the wheels spinning in her head, her thoughts a strange blend of chaos and clarity.

"We go back to the inn-cautiously." She eventually said. "We both need some rest- and to decide where we go from there."

We... That one word pulsed in his mind. I know she's already siding the grayzone... but how safe is it really for her, if I keep sticking around..? She can't hide me forever... His eyes narrowed, his focus drifting away in scrambled thoughts.

"Billy?" She took note of his expression. Few moments passed.

"... sorry-" He cracked his neck and stretched his shoulders. "Let's go."

The site only had one entrance, which was chained up, and a tall barb wired fence circling all the way around. Climbing out was an option, but not one without injuries, so they followed alongside the wall, hoping to find an alternative exit; with a sick boy in his care, the doctor had to have found an easier way out. A good fifteen minutes passed, when they eventually came to a chain link section of the fence, and a cutout hole leading out into the street. Barely large enough for an adult to fit through, she made it out with a few scratches, while Billy's larger frame shimmied with much more difficulty.

"Looks like this was as bad as climbing-" She spotted blood running down his arms, several cuts on both his skin and clothes.

"Nothing I can't handle-" He shook his head, and gave her a reassuring look. "Besides, you got hurt too." A small but visible cut ran across her cheek. She mirrored his reply, before taking in their surroundings; although a nice change from damped and cramped, the outdoor atmosphere still retained an ominous vibe. Dark clouds were fast approaching, a rainfall was on the horizon; they could already feel the drops, they could hear the soft sound as each one hit the ground. From their position, their way back to the inn would require a few guesses and turns; although she was familiar with midtown Stoneville, the outskirts and westmost section remained more or less unknown to her. She stood in the middle of the road, her gaze wandering from right to left a few times, as she tried to decide which side would lead back to town. Being located in a mountainous region didn't make it easy, with the rich evergreen blocking the city lights.

"We go left." He pointed to a sign covered in vines, which read: Blossom Inn.

They picked up the pace, trying to outrun the rain; it was of little success however, as it poured down minutes later. The air was obviously humid, but its thickness came from something else, an increasing burnt scent and a layer of smoke growing in size the more they neared the city. A building was on fire, and they now knew without any doubts, that an incident had occurred at the hospital. Between the lashing rain, and roaring thunder, they could hear the emergency vehicles.

They continued through side streets and alleyways, and came across a clear view of Oaksford Caelum; from about a block away from where they stood, red and blue lights flashed amidst the rain, an orange hue reflecting upon the smoke. Flames raged out of the windows, but no higher than the ground floor.

"The tremors we felt- looks like it came from explosions..." His eyes narrowed. "This was no accident."

"Oaksford Caelum - Retrieve Sample - Terminate Lead - Extract LUCY..." She couldn't disagree. "These were the orders... do you think the terminate lead also meant destroying evidence? To cover Umbrella's tracks- or whoever's behind the wheels here in Stoneville?"

"Seems like it." He winced. "Damn bastards-"So many people dead... a fucked up mix of innocence and immorality- He clenched his fists. And where does this Dr Nolhan fit on that scale..? He put aside the thought. "Come on- let's keep going."

They hasted through the remaining streets, avoiding the two cop cars that drove past them, and a patrolling group of policeman spreading reassurance among the locals. They arrived back at the inn soaking wet, and were instantly greeted by the owner.

"Bad time to be out!" He gave them but a glimpse, something telling him he shouldn't pry further. "In case you don't have a change of clothes, there's a small laundry room at the end of your corridor- staff only, but I'll make an exception for you two." They nodded in appreciation, before heading straight back to their room.

Fortunately for them, she had planned ahead; she pulled out a few things from the paper bag, and handed him the rest. Just as before, he let her go in first, emphasizing on the taking your time part, to which she obliged. Following a comforting shower, and some peace to recollect her thoughts, she appeared in much better shape; fatigue was still prominent on her face, but her eyes glistered with hope and relief.

"That felt good." Heeventually walked out of the bathroom, his overall appearance mirroring hers, the cuts along his arms a vivid red, but no longer bleeding."Any complications?" He glanced at her wound; she shook her head, and replied with a smile.She patched him up, before refocusing on herself, tending to her injury with a lot more care this time around. Few moments passed.

"I'll take up on the offer-" She sprung up from the couch, picked up a large plastic bag, and filled it up with his old clothes.

"How about I do the heavy work?" He stretched a hand.

"... alright-" Insisting would be pointless. "But I'll go get some food... or maybe just coffee..?"

"Coffee's good." Neither of them felt much hunger. "And be careful out there." His tone was laced with a certain severity. She nodded, and left his side.

 

8