ANEW 14.3
29 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room had a certain darkness to it; the rain and tree branches lashing at the windows added an unsettling feel, a single banker's lamp offered but a small perimeter of light. A safe haven that granted them but temporary relief, knowing all too well what evil lurked right outside, those that roamed the streets, hiding among the populace. Unnoticed. Wicked.

They sat on opposite sides; she took a seat on the bed, while he opted for the comfort of the old couch.

"So..." His approach was tentative. "About Liam... what's the plan for him?" She handed him a new cup of coffee, along with a colorful and overly sweet dozen doughnuts.

"I went to get more-" She noticed the lift on his eyebrow. She took a sip and a bite, and waited a few moments before proceeding. "I had to make a few phone calls: first, I checked the current traffic situation between Raccoon City and Stoneville." She took another sip. "Second, I checked for the whereabouts of three specific doctors: Dr Ethan, Jones and Evers. And third, I left a message for Liam, at a local arcade where he hangs out after work." She paused, stretched her neck and glimpsed at her journal. "He eventually called me back, and I gave him very specific instructions."

"So he's alright- safe and all!?" Her warm expression answered him. A weight was lifting, a sense of relief waving on his face.

"He's a nervous wreck... insecure and scared- but he's also smart, and listens well." She spoke as one would describe the last pup of the litter. "He's a good kid- he'll follow through, and get to Cinder Hollow... that's where you'll be going too." Their eyes met.

"..." No words came out, unsure on what to make of this new set path.

"There's a man that lives there- his name's Russell..." She could see his uncertainty. "He's an old friend of the family, and one very good at keeping secrets... he's also very good at making people disappear- sending them off the grid, never to be seen or heard from again."

"..." His mind stormed, conflicted about a possible future.

"I told him about you- a friend who deserves a second chance at life..." She had given the man no further information. "He doesn't pry, he doesn't ask, he simply does... that's how he operates."

"I'm... I'm not sure I can go along with that..." Self-doubt consumed him. "With everything that's happened... I'm still a court marshalled man- my life ended on that day, with that sentence... no matter the truth, I'm still a dead man."

"You're a good man, Billy... and still very much alive." She rectified, her answer truthful. "Someone who's been wrongly accused- someone with an unfaltering moral compass, who more than deserves that chance."

"No... look- I can't have you or anyone else involved with me..." Both heart and mind were torn between acceptance and refusal; siding with her proposition could lead to serious consequences, while refusing would mean an impending end for him. "Anaka-"

"I need you to trust me-" She cut him off. "This is my way of repaying you for everything you've done for me-" She lifted a hand, as to stop him from deterring. "You brought me closure... guided me through hell... saved me more than once... kept hope alive..." There was a flicker in her eyes. "Take this chance, and run with it- please, Billy..." A silence followed.

"..." His expression frowned. "So that friend of yours..." His indecision slowly diminished. "He makes me disappear- would he tell you where I end up?" He stared at her, unblinking. This time, she struggled with a response.

"If I ask..." His inquiry caught her off guard. "I suppose- yes."

"Alright... you have a deal-" He helped himself to a few more doughnuts. "If you agree to that drink I suggested-" She nodded and replied with a smile. "So what now?"

"We still have two nights booked for the room- we should just take that time to rest up... take it easy until- you know..." She looked down, her thoughts drifting into endless pondering.

"Anaka?" He deviated her focus back to him. "Thank you."


TO BE CONTINUED IN STORY ARC II... currently a work in progress.

 

8