Chapter 47
114 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Much like when Fenris had returned through the eastern gate, the south’s gatekeepers were markedly concerned by the party’s haggard appearances.

“Halt,” A guard said as the party reached the city. “Sorry to stop you all when you’re in that state, but… Well—we’ll have to question you because you're in that state.”

““Ah.””

Although the gatekeeper was worried about the other party members’ injuries, it was also clear that they had other concerns—primarily with the bloodsoaked Fenris, who they frequently glanced over at while they spoke.

“Please follow me to the guard station. We can provide treatment for your wounds during the questioning.”

They were brought to a plain room, where a table with two chairs across from each other in the center; the gatekeeper took out three more chairs from the corner of the room before presumably leaving to call their superior and the healers.

While Gen had gently placed Lily, who was still half-asleep, into a seat, Fenris was still lugging Louis over his shoulder.

“Alright, you can put me down now.”

“Nn,” Fenris replied, before dropping him like a sack of rocks.

“Guh.”

Gen looked at him in disbelief.

“... Gently, Wolfie.”

“Whoops.”

———

Almost immediately after leaving the room, the gatekeeper crossed paths with the person they were looking for.

“Ah, Officer Simon!” They saluted.

“I have something to--" “Yes, I’ve already heard.”

The warrant officer—Simon—quickly interrupted them.

“Some adventurers returned injured, correct?”

“Y-yes, so we need to--" “Call the healers? I’ve already done so.”

A lady in white robes trailed far behind, panting as she ran to catch up. “If that's all, lead me to them.”

“R-right here, sir…”

The gatekeeper gestured to the door that they had just left. As Simon speedily slipped straight into the room, the gatekeeper stopped holding their breath and sighed; there was practically no one in the city, much less stationed at the south gate, that could keep up with his blistering pace.

———

The south gate saw the most traffic out of Firrstad’s four entrances—and, being the fastest and most efficient officer, Warrant Officer Simon was the one assigned to deal with it.

“Injured adventurers are approaching the gate? Understood.”

Before Fenris’s party had even reached the gate, Simon had gotten up from his desk to start preparing for a questioning. 

The monsters in southern plains were quite weak; not even fresh adventurers would get badly hurt there. The guards were required to investigate any possible changes in monster behavior due to potential stampedes—and it was the officer-on-duty’s responsibility to do so.

Without slowing down, he called out to a healer he saw along the way.

“You look free, healer. Come with me.”

“Wha--" The flabbergasted healer looked up from her sandwich. “B-but…”

Looking back and forth between her snack and Simon, who was getting farther away by the second, the healer sobbed as she was forced to chase after him.

Simon recalled that the guards Stef and Sten were scheduled for gate duty that day, so he looked for either of them as he headed to the questioning rooms.

“Ah, Officer Simon! I have something to--" “Yes, I’ve already heard. Some adventurers returned injured, correct?”

[Omitting the rest of the conversation…]

… In any case—when Simon entered the room, he immediately saw a person bleeding on the floor, another standing next to them (also very covered in blood), and the two others nonchalantly (albeit very politely) sitting in their seats.

For the first time in his career, Simon paused.

Even before before Fenris’s party had gotten to the gate, rumors had reached Simon’s ears about a ‘menacing, bloodied figure’ appearing in the south—but with no actual reports of crime in the area, he doubted the veracity of the claims and figured that it was just a new ghost story circulating.

And thus, for such a logical and efficient person to actually encounter that ‘ghost’ in the flesh was quite a shock—which is to say that he had no damn idea how to react to the situation.

There were no logical explanations for any of it. Why was that man on the ground? Why was one of them completely drenched in blood? Why aren't the other two reacting to any of this?

“M-my apologies for being late-- Eeek?!” The healer entered the room, her shriek bringing Simon back to his senses.

After a second look, Simon noticed that the ground guy’s blood had splattered as though he fell from a height; if the wolfkin was carrying him, that could explain both the height and why they were covered in blood. Having accompanied them here, it was obvious that the lizardkin would already know about these circumstances—and the fourth was… apparently asleep and wouldn't have been able to react in the first place.

Simon had cracked the case—indeed, this was a perfectly reasonable situation to walk into.

“... Like hell it is!” Simon suddenly shouted, startling Lily.

“--Hweh?!”

Fenris and Gen glared menacingly at Simon.

“... You woke up Lily.”

“... I apologize for my outburst.”

Louis, still bleeding on the ground, cut in.

“Could somebody help me already?”

10