Chapter 51.2
108 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Basic Game Mechanics]

> LesserHog (#):

This post will cover the basic character stats, which may be viewed using the system’s integrated [Status] command.

(Photo ID: An example Character Status screen.)

Level is a general indicator of a character’s overall ability. The higher one’s level, the stronger they will usually be. Every level increase will also increase your other stats by some amount, primarily based on your character’s Race (see “Races, Explained” for more details), and also provide stat points that may be freely assigned to your “Core Stats”.

EXP (Experience Points) shows how close you are to the next level. The first number is your current EXP, and the second is the amount needed to advance.

HP (Hit Points) is a numerical representation of how much more damage a character can take before dying; however, HP is not necessarily a reliable indicator of how easy or difficult it is to kill something/something.

MP (Magic Points, or mana) represents how much magic a character can cast; as with HP, this is not necessarily an indicator of one's magical ability. Exceeding your MP limit will deal HP damage (and will feel AWFUL—first hand experience), so try to be mindful of your magic usage.

SP (Stamina Points) represent your physical limits. Attempting actions with higher Strength requirements than what you have will greatly increase the rate at which your stamina drains. When your SP is exhausted, you will be slowed and have limited actions until it refills, so try to be mindful of your stamina usage.

Then, there are the 7 Core Stats:

Strength (STR) is physical output; hitting, lifting, running—basically every physical activity is affected by STR to some extent. Increasing STR will generally also increase the damage dealt by your physical attacks.

Dexterity (DEX) is physical control; although your real life dexterity also plays a part, increasing your DEX will apply some correction so that your actions are closer to your intentions. Also… ARCHERS. DO NOT BUILD PURE DEX. YOU NEED STR TO USE STRONGER BOWS.

Constitution (CON) is endurance and resilience. While STR can indirectly reduce your stamina usage by making physical actions easier, CON universally reduces stamina consumption—this includes “Art” usage and the drain from exceeding your STR limits. CON also reduces damage taken by a small amount.

Agility (AGI) increases the speed at which your character can move. Please note that you will likely need to increase DEX in order to take advantage of higher AGI values.

Magic (MAG) increases the maximum power of your spells.

Attunement (ATT) increases casting speed and universally reduces MP consumption.

Luck (LUK) increases drop rate and… other things. Will not increase naturally, except under very specific circumstances.

——

> Anonymous: Isn’t it normally INT and WIS? What's with MAG and ATT?

> Anonymous: The LUK explanation is so suspicious lol

——

Ferris also felt that there was something off about LUK’s description, but he couldn't figure out exactly what was confounding him. Despite this, he did come to one particular conclusion——

‘Strength… is good.’

It seemed that simply stacking as much STR as possible would be the most efficient way of dealing with most things. MAG also appealed to Ferris, but he didn't understand what spells were or how to use them—therefore, brute force was clearly the only option available to him.

Ferris continued reading the other replies.

——

> EnglishLongbowman: Finally, a game that gets archers right!

> WelshLongbowman: Our time is now

> Anonymous: Oh come on, what’s with those display names?

Glad to see you folks are excited!

We didn't make the stats intelligence and wisdom because, no matter how high you get those stats, some people are just… neither of those.

> Anonymous: Not even the game devs can fix stupid

> Anonymous: that's me fr fr

> Anonymous: My condolences.

> LesserHog (#): Also, if we did boost people’s intelligence, the effects would go away after they log off. Like Algernon.

> Anonymous: Scary.

> Anonymous: They can actually do that…?

> LesserHog (#): Of course not (:

> Anonymous: Well, I’m convinced.

> Anonymous: Really?

> Anonymous: No.

> GreaterHog (#): Did you really have to add that smiley face?  You're going to start weird rumors about the equipment…

> LesserHog (#): Did I do that? Whoops. Anyways, we’re not allowed to give more details about the LUK stat; you’re going to have to do your best and figure that out on your own. Ha ha!

> Anonymous: that explanation has somehow made things more confusing

> Anonymous: Setting aside how suspiciously vague they’re being about it, I have no clue what else LUK could affect besides drops.

> Anonymous: Maybe it's something like NPC reputation? Like, once you reach a threshold, stuff becomes available to you?

> Anonymous: Oh, is reputation a thing?

> Anonymous: Ugh, reputation grinds suck…

> ScrunglyUncle: The reputation system isn't as rigid as what you’re thinking of. Depending on how you act in the game world, you can gain the trust of the Residents and… that's all there is to it! There's some talk about currying favor with “key NPCs” to unlock quests or learn rare Arts, but… isn't it a bit uncanny to gamify being a nice person? Just treat them like normal people and you’ll be fine! Ho ho ho!

> LesserHog (#): Ha ha, that's about right. The A.I.’s advanced enough that the Residents are basically the same as real people. On that note—they’re also advanced enough to hold grudges, so try not to get on their bad side, yeah?

> Anonymous: I saw someone get kicked out of a shop earlier lol

“Haah? If my armor’s such a ripoff, go somewhere else, you bastard!”

and then they got punted like a football

> Anonymous: American football or soccer ball?

> Anonymous: Is football. Are you jokester?

> Anonymous: You pickin’ a fight?

> Anonymous: Haah?

> GreaterHog (#): Break it up, you two. Either get back on-topic or move it over to the general section.

——

“--cuse me! Excuse me, sir!”

A crotchety old lady—presumably the librarian—was waving her hand in front of Ferris’s face.

“??”

“Don't give me that look!” she snapped, unaware that the blank stare was Ferris’s default expression. “I’ve been trying to get your attention for five minutes! The library is closing, and you need to leave.”

“Oh.”

Since Ferris could only come to the library after work, he only had about half an hour to use the computers. Even so, he felt that it was a very productive visit and happily returned home, with the librarian yelling at him as he left for not turning off the computer.

———

(EXTRA:)

Anonymous: Could LUK affect crit chance or something?

> Anonymous: I don't think there are random crits in this game.

> ScrunglyUncle: That's right! You gotta target those vitals for massive damage!

> Anonymous: Vitals (male-exclusive)

> Anonymous: You know, it still hurts if a girl gets hit down there, too...

> Anonymous: wait, really?

> Anonymous: no way it's as bad for women to get kicked in the crotch

> LesserHog (#): Guys, seriously? YES, IT HURTS! It won't count as a “vital hit” for either men or women, but it’s still gonna REALLY SUCK.

> Anonymous: … Couldn't you game devs have made it, like... suck less?

> LesserHog (#): Fear of the cheap shot is a healthy thing.

> Anonymous: Vital spot (honorary)

———

(EXTRA 2: The conversation, continued...)

GreaterHog (#): Break it up, you two. Either get back on-topic or move it over to the general section.

> Anonymous: Who’re you—my dad?

Anonymous: Lemme at ‘im! Grrr! Grrrr!

> ScrunglyDad: Hello, son.

> Anonymous: Wait--

> Anonymous: Change that name back!

> ScrunglyDad: Ho ho ho! It's just me, your Dad! There’s no need to be scared!

> Anonymous: I humbly disagree!

> LesserDad (#): —And it's me, your other dad!

> Anonymous: This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them!

> ScrunglyDad: Ho ho ho!

> LesserDad (#): Ha ha.

> GreaterHog (#): Stop that.

———

Spoiler

These BBS chapters really inflate the word count. I feel like at least a quarter of it is just the display names...

[collapse]

8