Chapter 56: Visiting the Eastern Outpost Part II
62 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we ventured through the path, the outpost was finally in sight. It was a cluster of dome-like structures rising defiantly against the backdrop of the eerie red fog. Before it was walls and reinforced gates that stood as barriers against the ever-present threat of the red fog. Truly mesmerizing and haunting.

I marveled at the ingenuity that went into its construction. The structures, fashioned from a combination of salvaged metal and sturdy materials, stood as a fortress on the edge of Aquarine. It must have become a beacon of hope amidst the encroaching danger, a gathering place for those seeking refuge.

Just like the town, the people here roamed about the streets. However, here, people were dressed more in line with the “post-apocalyptic stereotype” I had in mind. Clothes made from a patchwork of mismatched fabrics, worn and tattered, as if salvaged from the remnants of the old world, were mostly what the locals wore here.

Among them, there was a group of a hundred or so that stood out. They consisted of a tall race with a metallic carapace, proportionately thick fingers, and an opposable thumb on each hand, each tipped with talons, and a set of mandibles around their mouths. Seeing that almost all of them were equipped with crudely fashioned but undeniably functional weapons slung over their shoulders or strapped to their sides made them look like a war-like race that had adapted to this harsh world.

Other than that, they were surrounded by what seemed to be a group of merchants. It was apparent who the new group of refugees was.

If the town was the capital, then this outpost would be like a border town facing the wilderness. Faced with such a place made me confused to decide our next destination.

“So, should we go straight to the ruined city or…?”

“Hmm… Lemme think.” Tuilë made circular motions at her temples with both hands, looking like she was deep in thought. “Honestly, I dunno much about the Eastern Outpost. The only outpost I’ve been to so far is the Western Outpost… So, sorry.”

Well, it wasn’t like I could rely on her knowledge all the time.

“Uh, though as far as I know, the ruined city around here is divided into several interval zones,” added Tuilë.

“How come?”

“Y’see, this ruined city is on a whole different scale compared to the one we visited before — it’s vast and labyrinthine in nature thanks to the many collapsed buildings. Sure, this place is teeming with valuable resources… However!” Tuilë raised her voice on the last word as though to create tension.

“’However’ what?”

“However, there is but one catch: this place is far more dangerous, and the danger I’m referring isn’t just mutated monsters, if you catch my drift.”

Indeed. The most dangerous enemies are not some strange, mutated monsters, but your own kind. The people of Fogland are made of a different race, but still…

In any case, blindly venturing into the ruined city without knowing better would be akin to suicide.

“Maxim, we should gather some information,” said Lunaria as Luna-1 peeked from the gap of my backpack.

“Any idea where? Preferably it’s a place where all sorts of information gather… Gosh, I must be dreaming.” Alas… It’s not like this place has some sort of guild for adventurers often seen in a fantasy world…

To be honest, what was I expecting of a post-apocalyptic world? Yet, I wondered if there was a place out there in this world where fantasy-esque kingdoms thrived… Not that there were likely to be any considering the state of the world.

“If that is all, leave it to me! I happen to know one place where information is aplenty.” Tuilë hit her chest.

“You mean a tavern? Hold on, is there even that kind of place in this outpost?”

“Yup!” Tuilë affirmed with a nod. “Did you read my mind, Maxxy?”

“Nah, it’s just a common set— I mean, it’s just slipped into my mind.”

Visiting a tavern in this kind of circumstance had its pros and cons. On the one hand, it served as a meeting point for fellow scavengers, providing an opportunity to exchange vital information about the outpost and its surrounding areas.

However, on the other hand, there could be potential misinformation mixed in. With our lack of foundational knowledge about this place, distinguishing fact from fiction became an arduous task, and filtering each piece of information became a challenge, as we couldn't simply rely on prior experience or established truths.

If anything, a place that was often explored would most likely have a map. Thus, I was thinking that purchasing a map would help us in our exploration; it would help us avoid dangerous places above our capabilities while also showing us a place for mutated monsters strong enough to hone our strengths but weak enough that we could hunt them in bulk.

With that in mind, I asked Tuilë for her connection to a merchant.

“’Course there is! Come, I should know where they are when I do find one.”

“You what now? What do you mean by—?”

“No time to waste, let’s forge ahead!” Tuilë abruptly dragged me by my hand and cut me from finishing my line.

I was dragged across the outpost like some sort of suitcase thanks to her monstrous strength. After hearing a bit of her explanation, we searched every nook and cranny for what seemed to be a person or something.

It wasn’t until we arrived at a certain remote alleyway that she stopped and pointed at something. “That one! See that small furry guy wrapped in a bloated cloak? That’s the one!”

“You mean that thing is a person?” If she hadn’t pointed it out, I wouldn’t even realize. In reality, the person before us didn’t even reach a height of a mere meter, appearing more like a piece of statue at the side of the road.

Seemingly to notice our sudden intrusion, the cloaked furry guy, I presumed the creature was male, started running, or in this case, rolling deeper into the alley.

“Quick, catch him!” Tuilë sprinted to chase the small figure.

“Wh-What?!” I, obviously, got dragged into the mess.

Afterward, a thrilling cat-and-mouse game ensued.

Herein lay the problem: The guy was very slippery and cunning. We chased and chased, amidst the crowd of people, yet no matter how hard we gave chase, he effortlessly eluded our grasp. Despite our inhuman speed as source enhancers, we couldn’t close the distance between us. His compact posture, akin to that of a nimble rat, allowed him to slip through minuscule gaps and vanish, always tantalizingly close but just out of our fingertips.

Just when Tuilë had a single opportunity to apprehend him… “Caught you! Wha—!” He slipped away by the narrowest margin, tumbling into an empty barrel that unexpectedly sprang to life, rolling away with haste.

Tuilë's fury surged within her, threatening to swing the colossal wrench to the fleeing barrel. It was at that critical moment that I intervened and averted a catastrophic outcome. We didn’t chase him to kill, after all…

Realizing that our effort was futile, I played my ace in the hole. “This won’t do. Lunaria, I choose you!”

“Just say my name normally, will you?” Luna-1 flew out from my backpack and chased after the slick bastard…

Soon, a miracle happened.

The guy showed himself in public as the chase had never happened, and he was chasing Luna-1 instead. What the heck happened?

I placed my reasoning aside, and we managed to corner him on the edge of an alleyway through a pincer movement. Now, we finally had the chance to exact our revenge on him.

Tuilë was still furious and annoyed that she grasped the hapless, furry figure by the midsection and hoisted him up. “Say, how ‘bout we turn him into soup, Maxim?” she exclaimed, a glimmer of mischief dancing in her eyes.

“Don’t eat me! Don’t eat me!” pleaded the little guy, his voice trembling.

In response, Tuilë rolled her eyes, a hint of annoyance etching across her face. “Who’s gonna eat you! Sheesh! I’mma just feed you to the mutated monsters outside.”

“Eek!” The little guy’s eyes widened in sheer terror. His hands clasped together, pleading for mercy.

“Calm down, Tuilë… We are here to conduct business after all.”

“Business?” The facial expression of the little furry guy underwent a sudden and dramatic transformation as he heard the word. The fear that had gripped him just moments ago dissolved as if it had never existed at all. His previously scared expression melted away, replaced by a look of keen interest and shrewdness.

On closer look, the little guy had an ovoid body, brown colored fur, two circular, light blue eyes, and a pair of flipper-like hands but with fingers. He was pretty cute and adorable and if turned into a plushie, it would be very popular in my world.

“Y-Yeah, we just want to buy a map… and some information regarding the interval zones near this outpost,” I explained, scratching my nape.

“Release me first.”

“Uh, Tuilë…”

“Okie.”

I bet that if an onlooker were to see us, they would think that I was a mafia boss that just told his underling to release a hostage after someone paid ransom for them.

As soon as Tuilë released her grip, the little guy rummaged through the inside of his cloak and took out a map.

“Shinies!” he exclaimed as he showed us the map.

“Huh?” Does this guy like shiny things in exchange for the map?

Tuilë, who was beside me, cleared her throat. “This little guy’s race likes shiny objects as currency, at least that’s what the merchants in town told me.”

“Is that so? No wonder.” I guessed the real reason Luna-1 managed to lure it was because it had a somewhat reflective appearance.

“Unfortunately,” Tuilë continued, “I leave my remaining gold and silver back in the workshop, so…”

“Give me shinies!”

“Um, I don’t have any shinies, but will this do?” I rummaged through a source crystal from my backpack and showed it to him.

In response, he shook his head slightly, stretched his hands, and lifted five of his fingers. With him only having four fingers on each hand, he had to use two of his hands.

“Okay, five it is.” I handed him five source crystals.

He nodded enthusiastically and snatched the source crystal from outstretched my hand. In retrospect, if Tuilë's words held true, then his race belonged to the peddler lineage. Plus, I felt that while source crystals might serve as currency for him, it seemed shiny objects would hold an even better value overall.

“So, about the information…”

“Information? It’s all on the map. Of course…” He replied, gazing toward my backpack where I had taken out my source crystals and where Luna-1 had hidden itself. I couldn't help but wonder which one he was after.

“Here.” I tossed in another three source crystals.

“Yes, yes!” He accepted and completed this transaction by giving us insider knowledge about the interval zones and the valuables held within.

According to his information, there were groups of mutated monsters known as “crustacrawlers” that were popular with hunters prowling around the inner city. Additionally, he provided us with information on where to look for valuables in the ruined city and marked them on the map we purchased.

Now that our transaction was done, the little guy slipped away like he had been when we chased after him earlier while uttering the line “I like shinies!” over and over. Truly a fascinating race.

“Aiya! Why don’t we keep him as emergency food instead, Maxxy?” Tuilë giggled, clearly jesting about her statement.

“Stop with the jokes… You’re starting to resemble more and more like Lunaria.”

“Why drag me into this when I said nothing?” complained Lunaria.

Clearing my throat, I redirected the conversation. “Anyways, let’s make way for the city.”

Tuilë nodded in agreement, and we set our sights on the gate — its entrance shrouded in a swirling haze of crimson fog.

0