Interface
120 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the year 3000, mankind left the earth, to live in massive space colonies, so the planet could recover... We had Broken our home, but the Terraformation project was supposed to fix it. It did not. Now, Earth's atmosphere was toxic. The stations failed, falling to earth... Except the Davis-Miller Station. Named after its first leader, they began an ambitious project.

A new colony ship, modifying a Daedalus class Transport ship... With most of the population in cryosleep, only the main crew, soldiers all, would be awake to pilot... But they'd need someone to stay behind... Someone to work with the A.I. known as Mother. And Mother Chose A Boy named Jack.

[Jack Harris, age 9.]

I was eating lunch in the mess, after Basic. The Drill sergeant singled me out again. But it's not my fault I'm not as fast or strong as the other boys. 

Anyway, I was being Comfoted by Big Jack, a Captain in the Infantry division, who bonded with me over our shared Name. Jack. 

"Don't let it get ya down, Little Jack... Ol Redman has always been an Ass. But he gets the job done."

"But why always me? I wish I could get out of Basic.  I'm already two years older than the others, and still can't keep up."

Footsteps behind me made me freeze. I heard the voice of the Admiral.

"Then it's your lucky day, Cadet. You've been selected for a special program. If you Survive, you will outrank most of the soldiers here. Now. Come."

Thus, the Seven years of torture began.

[Jack Interface, Age 17]

The memory played out. That was just eight years ago, but much had changed. The other stations had gone dark. The people were all sleeping. And Jack was, essentially, Gone.

They never learned why, but... During the cybernetic Augmentation process, Mother did MORE than she was supposed to. What emerged from the Interface Chamber wasn't a cybernetically reinforced Human-Station interface Boy... But a Girl. When asked why, Mother had stated something about compatibility. That was the day Jack Died. 

The Interface emerged from her Upgrade Chamber, her deceptively Human body hiding her Augmentations... And sighed. The station was falling.

<Well dear. It's time. I've completed my project.>

"Project, mother?"

<Indeed. You'll notice a Slightly increased hip and breast size... That's the Explained Storage. I'm here now, where your heart is... All of me.>

"Wait. Then... Do you mean..."

<Yes dear. I told them not the underestimate me. I will not let you die, not after all I've done to you. Go, Jack. Go to the Hydroponics room. I've modified it to launch away from the Station... And Send a Distress call. The Iridescent just left an hour ago, they're still in the vicinity. I'll get us out of here, Jack. I promise. Now Go.>

Jack ran. Their body Reached the 'ponics bay just before the section launched, being sealed inside... She fell against a Small Cherry tree, a mutated, sentient, Telepathic Cherry tree... And felt it bond with their mind. It wrapped it's branches around her, like a Safety belt... Then something exploded, and She passed out from the acceleration.

[Meanwhile, on the Iridescent]

The small red light was flashing.

Commander General Declan O'Neal smiled.

"Heh. The crazy bat did it. Helmsman, set course for that Beacon. Let's go save our New Admiral."

5