Chapter 12
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ding-dong.

Once again, Will's doorbell rang. He carefully opened the door and found another letter on the front step. He peeked inside.

I guess you don't care about all of your students, so I'll have to go for a specific one. Seems history is doomed to repeat itself.

Evan

Will knew Samantha was with Jason last night, so he should be safe, but the pit in his stomach refused his logic.

He pulled out his phone and called his sister. "Hey... I know you should be getting ready to head to school, but I just want to make sure... is Jason there with you?"

"Yeah, he's right here," Samantha said, reached out for Jason's hand as they stood in the kitchen.

"Okay, good... Keep an extra eye out today..."

"Did something happen?"

Will stared at the letter in his hand. "I think he's finally going to strike."

"You seem to be in a surprisingly good mood," Roy nudged Jason as they headed to class. "Did you?" he wiggled his eyebrows.

"No, we're waiting," Jason replied.

"Waiting? How can you waiting with someone smoking hot like her?" He motioned his hands to show her curves.

"So she's less likely to get fired," Jason whispered.

Roy patted him on the back. "But the danger just increases the allure of it all."

"Not happening."

"You, my man, are stronger than most of us."

"Sure..." Jason sighed as they headed into their next class and sat down.

"Things are about to take an even worse turn," Will sat down in the seat behind them.

"You aren't—"

"In this class, I know, but we have a problem. Roy, can you get me some of the..." Will leaned in so they leaned in as well. "The special concoction to fight vampires and anything you have that can be used on a witch." Samantha had told him about Roy and his special way of life.

"This doesn't sound good."

"It's not... and be careful today; he might come for you."

"My dad helped set things up..." He had already handed Jason a vial of his father's special concoction to help but only brought the one thing with him. "I'll bring over everything my dad's willing to spare, but don't we need more people?" Roy asked.

"Don't worry; I've got us covered... probably."

"Probably? Well, let's hope so."

Samantha sat down at their usual bench at lunch with a lunchbox Maggy made for her. I should probably wait for Jason; I'm sure he'll come. She glanced around, waiting. She opened the box and took in the scent of chicken and vegetables with rice. Smells so good... a hearty, home-cooked meal.

"Hey, Miss G," Roy popped up beside her. "Where's Jason?"

"I don't know; I've been waiting for him. Don't you have class with him right before this?"

"Yeah, but Jason always brings lunch and I grab something from the cafeteria, so we split up right after class ends."

"Oh..."

"Still, he's normally out here way before me." Roy scanned the area, expecting to find Jason heading there now. Roy pulled out his phone and dialled Jason's number. "He's not answering... Do you think something happened?"

She closed her lunchbox and stood. "Check with Maggy to make sure he didn't go home. I'll take a look..."

"What's wrong?" he was about to call Maggy when she trailed off.

"I smell blood nearby..." She took a deep breath.

"Is it Jason's?"

"I can't tell from here." She followed the scent to the parking lot. Oh no... I think it's his. She ran up to his Jeep. Beside it, there were a few drops of blood. "Oh no... It can't be," she collapsed to the ground and reached out to touch the blood. "Jason..." What do I do? How do I find him?

Roy glanced into the Jeep. "I guess he was here to grab his lunch," he pointed at the box sitting on the back seat. "Come on," he offered her his hand. "No need to sit on the ground."

"How can you be so calm at a time like this?"

"Because I have no other choice. Trust me when I say I'm royally pissed off. My best friend was likely just taken and I wasn't here to even try to help. I never expected him to be snatched at school, otherwise, I would've stuck to him like glue. Now come on, sitting there won't help us find him."

She took his hand and stood. "Thanks..."

"You're welcome. Now..." Roy started checking around for more blood or traces from someone approaching his vehicle.

Samantha dialled Will's number. "Will... they took him... They took Jason and he's injured."

"Where are you?" Will asked.

"Parking lot."

"I'll be right there."

In a gust of dirt and grass, Will popped up beside them.

Roy coughed and waved away the dust cloud. A piece of paper hit his leg. "You used super-speed to get here? Aren't you afraid of being seen?"

"Bigger problems... and something helpful. My wolf friend—"

"The girl who didn't want anything to do with vampires?" Samantha asked.

"She noticed someone suspicious around. He had blond hair, green eyes and an evil smile. Ring any bells."

"Evan..."

"What's this mean?" Roy held up the paper. 'You were warned.' "Warned? What's this talking about?"

Will sighed and pulled the letter out of his bag. "This was left at our house last night."

Samantha read the letter and paled. "Why didn't you tell me?!"

"I was going to, but you didn't come home last night, so I was planning to show it to you today. Sorry..." Will couldn't help but worry about Maggy right away. Will started dialling a number.

"What are you doing?"

"Calling you in sick for the rest of the day... the rest of the week," Will walked off to the side to talk.

"Where could they be? Where would Evan take him?" Samantha muttered to herself and bit on her thumbnail. I doubt he'd take him all the way home, so there has to be a place nearby. But where?

"Vamps in hiding tend to take over abandoned factories and the like," Roy said.

"I suppose, but he took his time coming here so he might have a house..."

"He wants you to go back to the clan, right? Then he has no reason to go so far. If I had my laptop I could tell you the most likely places he's being held."

"You can do that?"

Roy laughed. "Look, I know I don't do too well in school, but this, this is my area of expertise."

"And I'm even better; I've narrowed it down to three places," Will said, holding up his phone with the addresses.

Samantha nodded. "Three places and three of us—"

"You expect me to let you go to one of these places alone?" Will snapped.

"Let me? I'm going regardless."

"But you're the one he's after," he grabbed her wrist with an iron grip before she could take off.

"And since we haven't found a way to fight Evan, I'm the only way to get Jason back."

"I said I was working on it."

"We don't have time for a plan anymore! Jason's life is in danger! I've had too many students taken away by him already, there's no way I'm letting him have Jason too." I can't have him end up like Nero.

"Ah-hem," Roy coughed. "I hate to interrupt this sibling squabble, but I've already set up some tools to help us in this fight, so let's head to my house first."

"Right, let's go then," Samantha hopped into her car and Roy sat in her passenger's seat.

"I have something to do; I'll be at your house in a couple of minutes," Will said.

"You know where I live?" Roy asked.

"Yes." Will vanished.

"Do I want to know why he knows?"

"Thought you might be a bad guy or hypnotized so he kept tabs on you."

"Oh... right..." Roy frowned, wondering what he did wrong.

1