Chapter 16
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Will felt something warm wrapped around his hand as he awoke. He felt a searing pain in his chest and his entire body ached. He opened his eyes. "Maggy?" he barely managed to say with his dry throat.

"You're awake! Guys!" she ran off to call the others.

"No..." he groaned, wishing she didn't leave. He glanced at the IV in his arm wondering how long he had been out. He glanced down at his chest. The wound had closed, but it still hurt. "This... sucks." His eyes widened. Beside him in a similar hospital-type bed, was Samantha, still unconscious.

Rapid footsteps came closer as they ran down the stairs.

"Will!" Jason came up next to him. "You're okay?"

"Water..."

"Right, sorry," Maggy poured him a glass of water from the pitcher sitting on the table nearby and held it up to him while helping him sit up.

After a few gulps, he sighed. "Thanks, Maggy. Um... Is she...?" he glanced at his sister.

Jason moved over to Samantha to hold her hand. "She's alive as far as we know, but unlike you, she's been unconscious the whole time."

"And I haven't been?"

"You haven't fully woken up until now, but you've moved a bit and your eyes fluttered open a few times for only a second or two before you fell unconscious again. So, how do you feel?"

"Like I got shot in the chest and then hit by a truck... What the hell is in that serum?" Will turned to Roy.

"My dad's secret..." Roy laughed, only knowing part of the recipe.

"Thanks for the beds, I guess..." Will finally noticed they were in Roy's basement. They had moved things around so they could fit two beds away from their experiments.

"Thanks for coming to save me," Jason said.

Will rolled his eyes. "Not like you were kidnapped because they wanted you anyway."

"Still, you could've left me to be killed."

"As if my sister would let me."

"I know you'd come for me without her telling you to."

"You have too much faith in a vampire you hardly know."

Maggy frowned at Will and he shut his mouth, turning away.

"Sorry..." Will mumbled. "So, how long have you been here? I swear it was the warmth from your hand that pulled me out of my slumber."

Maggy blushed. "Um... I... I've come and gone a few times."

He lightly took her hand and kissed the back. "Thank you."

Maggy nodded, unable to find her words as she tried not to smile.

"Okay, you, back off," Roy tugged Maggy away.

"What? Why?"

"He needs more rest; it's only been a few days."

"A few days and it's still in my system?" Will asked. "And I only had a little of her blood... I think... How long until my sister recovers?"

"Considering it was kinda a proto-type of the serum and not tested, I haven't got any idea how long until it passes through your systems. I wasn't even sure you'd be okay since it was meant to halt the witch powers too..."

"On that note," Will glared at Jason. "You had the other syringe; how could you let her take it?!"

"As if I had a choice! I didn't want to give it to her, but she pinned me down on the bed and took it from me."

"Oh, that sounds sexy," Roy wiggled his eyebrows. Everyone glared at him. "What?"

"That's my sister you're talking about," Will said.

"Right... Guess I should watch my mouth, not that you're a threat at the moment."

"But I will be later and I have a good memory."

"Enough said," Roy stepped away. "By the way, your wolf friends showed up when we were carrying you two out and they wanted to thank you for getting rid of Evan."

Will laughed. "I imagine my clan won't be too happy about it though."

"I don't know; the guard I was sitting on seemed to be happy to be rid of him."

"But they'll be in disarray, running around like chickens with their heads cut off."

"That's... graphic. But anyway, I think you'd better rest more before worrying about them."

"I think my time is better off worrying about her," Will tried to sit up and Maggy pushed him back on the bed.

"Worrying about her doesn't help, it saps your energy," Maggy said, sitting down on the chair beside him and reaching for his hand again.

"But if you pulled me out, maybe she needs someone too."

"I've been beside her quite a bit," Jason said, brushing his fingers through her bangs. "But she hasn't responded to me at all..." his shoulders slumped.

"Jay..." Maggy reached a hand out to him and he took it. "I'm sure she'll be okay. Will is... so I think it'll just take longer. She is the one who drank the serum and was low on blood herself."

"Maggy's right," Roy nodded and patted Jason on the back.

"You kiddos are making too much noise. Why don't you head upstairs and let them rest?" Roy's father suggested, standing in the stairway. "I've made snacks and you two should probably get home; you have school tomorrow."

Jason kissed Samantha's forehead and headed upstairs with Roy. Maggy turned to Will, who gripped her hand.

"Thank you, Maggy."

She smiled at him. "I didn't do anything, really, but I'm glad if I did help even a tiny bit."

"You did help."

"I'm glad you're okay."

"We'll see on the okay part," Will sighed. Even if he healed completely, if Samantha didn't, he wouldn't be anywhere near okay.

"Um... I gotta ask... would you heal better if I—"

"Probably, but I think it's best if I don't drink from someone right now." In his weakened state, he didn't trust himself to keep his drinking in check.

"Oh... okay..."

"It's nothing against you, Maggy. Honestly, you've smelt delicious since the day I met you and I'd love to have a taste, but—"

"It's okay," Maggy pulled away from him. "I get it... I guess I should get going. I hope you feel better soon." She gave him a little wave and ran off to join the others upstairs.

"Tch... Why do things always have to be so complicated?"

"Hey, Mags, something wrong?" Roy cozied up to her, an arm around her shoulders.

"Nope," she said, holding back anything more.

"Do I really have to tell you again?" Jason poked Roy's shoulder and pointed at the arm around his sister.

"Come on, man; I ain't gonna hurt her. Besides, I was just worried since she seemed down. You don't have to make me seem like such a bad guy."

"I never said you were a bad guy, but you are a skirt chaser."

Roy frowned. "I can't deny that."

"Which means you're not the best at staying faithful—"

"No, no; those are two different things. Being single and chasing girls around doesn't mean I'd do that if I had a girlfriend. I mean, at least you now know I could protect her."

"It's still a no."

"And it's still not your decision," Maggy huffed and walked away.

"Ouch, the overprotective older brother takes a hit," Roy dramatically put his hand to his chest and fell back onto the couch.

"Let me know if she wakes up."

"Of course, bro."

"See you tomorrow I guess," Jason sighed and followed Maggy out.

"I guess they're not staying for a snack," Roy's father came out of the kitchen with a tray of fresh chocolate chip cookies.

"Nope; more for me," Roy hopped off the couch and snagged a cookie.

"You really like her, don't you?"

"Like who?"

"Maggy, who else?"

Roy shrugged. "Of course I like her."

"You know what I mean," he bumped Roy's shoulder, smiling. He already knew Maggy liked him, but her overjoyed reaction to Roy's pictures he had brought over really solidified it.

"No... I don't know... Maybe... It doesn't matter anyway; Jason doesn't want me pursing her and I apparently have some stiff competition."

"Really? Who can compare to you?"

"Will..."

"Oh..."

"Gee, thanks, dad; nice to know you think I stand a chance against him."

"Well, he's got a lot more practice and he's... got that vampire charm working for him."

"Hey, I'll have you know, girls find me quite charming."

"But does Maggy?"

"I thought she did..."

"Then work your charm when Jason isn't around."

"Are you sure you should be telling me to do that?"

"Why not? I had your mom's older brother doing the same thing when we met, and look at us now."

"I'm guessing your rival wasn't a charming vampire though."

"Nope... Good luck, Roy."

"Are you seriously going to give me the silent treatment the whole way home?" Jason asked as he drove back with Maggy.

"You make it sound like it's super far," Maggy sighed, watching the houses as they drove by.

"I just don't like the idea of you being mad at me."

"I'm not mad; I'm tired."

Jason swallowed his words, knowing he'd only make it worse. "Are you glad to be back in school?"

Maggy shrugged. "Can't say I care too much; I got my work done so I didn't fall behind. Everything's back to normal there... At least we shouldn't have to worry about getting attacked by vampires anymore, so that's a relief."

"True..."

"Are you going to keep going out with Samantha after she wakes up? I mean, now she shouldn't need to feed off you all the time..." Maggy trailed off at her brother's desolate expression. Will had filled her in on everything that happened between them and she couldn't help but wonder.

"Is it crazy to say I don't want to let her go?"

"Of course it isn't."

"I mean... I liked her before all of this, so while it's been scary, it's also been like a dream... But at the same time..."

"It wasn't real and she's your teacher."

Jason nodded, gritting his teeth and gripping the steering wheel so hard his knuckles turned white. "It... wouldn't be fair to her, would it?"

"I'm afraid not."

"But what if during our time together she ended up liking me anyway?"

"How would you get rid of the hypnosis?"

"I... have no idea. You broke out on your own, so I guess it can happen naturally."

"If she doesn't, are you going to break up with her and set her free, or keep her for yourself?"

"I... don't know. What do you think I should do if it comes down to it?"

Maggy thought for a moment. "You should let her go..."

1