Chapter 71: Opening and Shutting Down the Lines of Communication
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Contrary to Fianna’s fears, Vernie was awake even before I hit the threshold of her tent. The sound of rustling canvas came from within as she spoke, her voice muffled by the barrier between us. “You’re coming in alone, right?”

Taking the artless hint, Fianna saluted and quickly left in the direction we had come from.

“Yes, as long as you’re not going to run away again.”

“I didn’t...just get in here!” Vernie ordered.

As I entered her tent, Vernie eyed me warily from her bedroll. “So Nora finally kicked you out, eh? All that mumbling was bound to get on her nerves eventually...” Her tone was too casual, and her words too rushed for the situation, as if she were trying to distract me. And it worked, at least at first.

“Mumbling?”

“You talk in your sleep,” Vernie explained nonchalantly. “It’s hard to make out though. Too much stress, right? Did Nora talk to you about keeping a diary? We were thinking that—”

“I’m not here to talk about that,” I interrupted firmly, both for Vernie’s benefit and my own. “I’m here to find out why you won’t talk to Relias.”

“Don’t have anything to say,” she replied defensively, turning away from me and pulling her blanket closer.

“So you don’t want to reconcile with him then? I should just give up?” I pressed.

“Vernie waved an arm lazily as if dismissing the topic. “...Yep. You’re excused from duty. Focus on all the other stuff going on.” Despite her flippant attitude, it was clear there was more going on beneath the surface.

“In order to do that, I need to be able to talk to you both at the same time. I’m not going to play communication courier between you two,” I explained, circling until I faced her again and plopped down a few feet away. “And from what I can tell, it’s only you who doesn’t want to talk this out. He already told me he didn’t take what you said to him back then seriously.”

Vernie, being the soul of immaturity, pulled her blanket up over her head.

“…Are you hoping I’ll give up?” I asked as I poked at her with my staff.

“Hey! You’ve picked up some nasty habits,” she complained indignantly, her voice muffled. “Just give me the customary chastising speech instead!”

“Nope.”

“You really have spent too much time with Nora,” she grumbled, finally poking her head out of the blanket.

“Why are you picking on her? Nora’s the best! Wait… are you… perhaps… jealous?” I let a smirk spread across my lips.

“I’m not jealous!” she yelled, jumping out of her bedroll. Perfect.

“That’s exactly the tone I’d expect from someone who was,” I countered, also standing as I struck my staff on the ground firmly.

Finally, she struck an iconic, finger-pointing pose. “Now you listen here, you—”

Knowing she was normally faster than I was, I cheated outrageously, concentrating my amity to sweep in and hug her before she reached for her daggers or pulled away. “I’ll let go if you want, but I thought this is what you needed the most right now.”

“What have I told you about acting recklessly like this…?” she sighed as she eventually hugged me back. “You’re completely vulnerable again!”

!!!

Did she just... pinch me?!

“Hey!” I shouted. It wasn’t painful, just unexpected.

“Now we’re even!”

“Alright, alright,” I conceded. “Seriously though, whenever you’re ready to talk about what’s really bothering you, I—”

She dropped her head on my shoulder roughly. “I don’t want to talk to him about why I’m divorced.” Wait… divorce…?

I wasn’t seeing the problem. “So… don’t?”

She laughed humorlessly. “If only it were that easy! Aleph’s judgment is nothing compared to his…!”

Guilt festered down my neck, recalling I made a big deal about it myself. “…I shouldn’t have said anything… Sorry…”

Vernie pulled away and opted to sit down. “He knew the moment he saw that letter. Your outburst had nothing to do with it.”

“Still... I brought it up in front of the whole group rather thoughtlessly.” I winced. Me and my big mouth.

“He’ll probably pressure me for an annulment as soon as we’re alone. That would open up my whole relationship with Vulture for examination and scrutiny!”

I couldn’t help but frown at the thought. “Why not just say thank you and no?”

“Thank you and no?” she echoed, looking confused.

“Yes,” I confirmed. “Thank you for your concern, and no, I’m not interested in an annulment.”

Vernie mulled over my words, biting her lip. “But maybe I should consider it... What do you think? If you were in my position—”

“But I’m not,” I interjected. “And this isn’t really about Relias, is it? It’s about you and your needs.”

“If you just tell me what to do, Captain, I’ll do it! ...So?”

Grimacing internally, I tried my best to stand my ground. “You need to weigh the pros and cons of the process. I don’t think it’s inherently good or bad, but you need to make the choice that works best for you when you’re ready. However… I don’t think avoiding Relias is the long-term solution. Just be clear about your boundaries for now and decide when you’re ready. Whatever you choose, I’m here for you.”

Her eyes lit up. “Yes! So you’ll talk to—”

I shook my head firmly. “Oh no. Not this time!” I shook my head firmly. “You need to talk to him directly.”

Vernie let out a heavy sigh. “I hate to admit it, but you’re right. But I don’t have to actually say it out loud, right?”

I caught her playful smile and returned it in relief. “Nah, you can pretend like it was all your idea.”

“Perfect.” She raised an eyebrow inquisitively. “So, what’s the reason you want to talk to both of us?”

“Uh...about sneaking into Chairo without being caught?”

“Hoo…! And here I was thinking I was going to be able to go back to sleep!” she exclaimed, her entire face lighting up at the thought. “See if Captain Corwin has the schematics for the outer gates.” She tilted her head back and forth slowly as if she were already formulating a plan. “He might even have a set for the inner ones, too. In fact, gather any information you can on the city’s layout.”

“You’ve snuck in there before, right?” Chairo was the world’s honeypot of treasures! There’s no way she hadn’t helped herself to a few freebies.

“Out, not in. And that was a long time ago! The guards certainly have changed, and I’m sure after that last time, they’d have implemented at least some new security features in the sewers…” She started gathering up her belongings as she mumbled excitedly.

Sewers? Ugh, for the love of... we’re always getting into something messy!”

Vernie turned, her eyes twinkling maliciously. “Being the hero’s a real dirty job, innit?”


“I have them…” Captain Corwin replied dubiously to my request. “However, I’m not sure how accurate they are now. They’re a little outdated.”

He gestured for me to take a seat as I waited for his assistant to return with the requested schematics. “By how much?”

“The Reds have been in charge of patrolling Chairo’s perimeter for the last five years, so a little older than that,” Corwin admitted.

“Oh… well, I guess it’s better than nothing,” I sighed, stifling a yawn.

The tent flap opened behind me. “What drives you to sneak into Chairo, anyway?” Relias asked as he entered.

“Oh!” I turned, standing up to greet him. “Good morning! I thought it would be better if we—”

“I will handle it,” he announced abruptly, clenching the schematics in his hands as Ezer, Captain Corwin’s assistant, refused to look me in the eye. “This isn’t something for you to worry about, Captain. I would also prefer it if, next time, you came to me first.

“But… I was just…” Was he still upset about yesterday? But Nora said he had come to apologize… What exactly had I done wrong?

“Morning Inspection!” Corwin shot up from his seat. “Lead the way, Ezer!”

Ezer and Captain Corwin left us alone in his tent, their feet pounding the ground as they practically fled.

“Was this Vernie’s counsel to you?” Relias demanded of me.

I bit my lip, not wanting to implicate her. “This was all my idea! I thought avoiding Pravum’s army would be the best course of—

“Have you considered the untoward perception this might create among the populace? The Chosen One, resorting to subterfuge, returning after years in absence like an unwanted pest? That is the best-case scenario, assuming your plan would even succeed.”

I drew myself up. “I was trying to avoid a confrontation!”

Relias set his jaw. “Such avoidance will prove futile. Any course you undertake to enter Chairo will inevitably lead to conflict. It is vital that we rely on the Order to shield us from our adversities.”

“So you’re back to parading me around like a holy relic, huh!?” I clenched my fists. “Hey, look, everyone, the hero’s back! Why don’t you just paint a target on my back while you’re at it?”

“That was not my intention either,” he replied, his voice quieting some. “However, instead of seeking dialogue with me, you pursued confidential information on your own. Had Ezer not apprised me of your actions, you could have cast yourself in a dubious light before the entire Order. You must recognize your role as a public figure, where each decision you make will be subject to scrutiny.”

He might have had some salient points. But that doesn’t mean he delivered them in a way I could handle at that time. Looking like an idiot in front of your prospective peers wasn’t great. The condescending tone didn’t help, either.

“You know what? I’m not in a position to talk to you about this right now.” I stepped outside, not waiting for a response. “So I’ll be on my way. I’ll find you later when I’m able to discuss this in more detail.”

“Raelynn…!”

No. I made sure not to look back as I headed resolutely toward the camp proper. Maybe Tetora would be up for some sparring before we broke camp for the day.

 

Post Chapter Omake:

Tetora: …? There’s a disturbance in the air.

Aleph: I don’t sense anything.

Tetora: I’m telling you, something’s not right!

Aleph: … I’m sure it’s just in response to your hubris.


image

Thank you everyone for reading!

Feel free to join my Discord.

Last but not least, I want to thank my patrons for their support :)

1