Chapter 64: Conversing with Captain Corwin
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Upon entering Captain Corwin’s tent, the interior sparseness struck me. The tent was essentially utilitarian, pointing out it was meant for functional mobility. Two modest wooden stools were arranged for us around a stubby-legged table. On it lay a detailed map of Central Speranza, adorned with an array of colorful, beaded pins. My eyes were drawn to the Holy City of Chairo, where most of the silver and red pins were concentrated.

After we took our seats, Captain Corwin offered us a customary glass of wine. Knowing better, I waved it off even as Relias shook his head. Corwin simply shrugged, opting to drink alone. However, my stomach, recognizing a golden opportunity, growled loudly.

“It’s been a while since I’ve eaten,” I mumbled by way of explanation.

Captain Corwin nodded sympathetically and briefly spoke with one of the guards outside his tent. I watched as the guard saluted and scurried off.

“This evening’s provisions are a bit modest,” Captain Corwin apologized after he resumed his seat across the table from us. “We have pottage and hardtack. I was assured there was fish in it as well, but I did not come across such luxuries in my portion earlier. However, you’re free to eat as much as you wish.”

The guard returned shortly with two wooden bowls filled with a warm vegetable stew and a giant, brick-like biscuit. Relias took both bowls carefully and peered into them, meticulously assessing their contents even as a flickering glow emanated from his hands. Captain Corwin watched him with a raised eyebrow, though he did not feel the need to question his mannerisms.

“They are fit for consumption,” Relias assured me as he handed me a bowl. “Although you may wish to speak with your grain supplier, Corwin. He’s been mixing stones into the flour.”

Captain Corwin made an indelicate sound. “They’ve all been doing that lately.”

I stirred my bowl slowly, hoping to speed up the process to soften the hardtack into something I could at least teethe on. If there’s any fish in here, they’re microscopic… The veggies look good, though.

“Where do we stand, currently?” Relias asked abruptly, skipping the usual tedious formality.

“I’ve dispatched a small contingent ahead already,” Captain Corwin reported. “I’m sure they’ll be interrogated before they enter the outer gates, but they’re well-versed in discretion. They’re also from noble families, so the most severe measure to be imposed on them would be detainment until my arrival.”

“Why would they be interrogated and detained?” I asked in bewilderment, noting the increasing chagrin on Relias’s face. “And what do those red pins represent?”

“Pravum’s private army,” Corwin replied succinctly, answering both questions simultaneously.

A more detailed glance told me the silver pins outnumbered the red ones, but not by all that much. “Why does a councilman have both the need and ability to hire a private army?” I growled indignantly, just to make sure my escalating frustration was blatantly understood.

“It’s my fault,” Relias sighed, holding his head in his hand. “I should have paid more attention to his operations…”

“You get a complete pass…” I mumbled around a spoonful of stew. “But surely the other councilmen would have taken that as a sign of hostility, right?”

“Technically, the army reports to the King of Ecclesia,” Captain Corwin explained. “But he has been lending them out to Pravum help with ‘certain theo-political issues’ within and surrounding the city.

Relias didn’t give me the chance to show my ignorance on the matter. “A catch-all phrase for anything the council doesn’t want to deal with directly, citing that it falls outside their scope.” Who was the King, though? Oh, but I couldn’t ask since Raelynn would probably know his name, at the very least.

“I’ve been out of touch for a bit,” I replied dryly, scooping up another bite of bland but filling stew. “Perhaps a concrete example might help me understand the situation better?”

Relias and Corwin exchanged a glance. Relias hasn’t taken a single bite of food…

“Residency limits within the inner city would be one such issue…” Corwin said delicately.

“Oh, you mean the banning of Hybrids?” I snarked. “Is that the ‘limit’ you refer to?”

Corwin hung his head. “One of them, yes.”

“Captain Corwin was one of the first to denounce the proclamation,” Relias reassured me, somewhat absently. “As did many others.”

“Oh, I didn’t mean to insinuate…” I shook my head before pressing a free hand to my temple. “Sorry. I’m a little out of sorts.”

Corwin’s eyes widened. “Chosen One, the notion of you owing me an apology is unfathomable. If anything, it is I who should—”

“Please, let’s not talk about it,” I cut him off, staring at the hardtack capsizing in my stew. “Just go back to your first statement. If you know your preliminary scouts will be accosted, why send them in the first place?” Take care of your front-line workers!

“To maintain the facade,” he explained. “Pravum is anticipating the opportunity to court-martial me based on my rash decision to engage the Blue without orders to do so. He’s not really after me, however. He’ll offer my spies the opportunity to incriminate Holy Sage Relias as the inciting factor, and I’ve ordered them to take it for all its worth.” He grinned wolfishly. “To him, I’m just a young, hot-headed captain who acts impulsively, easily manipulated by those who seek to corrupt me.”

I cocked an eyebrow at Relias, who still looked slightly annoyed. “And then…?”

“He presents the evidence against me,” he shrugged. “In response, I acknowledge his allegations, then strategically unveil our true motive for coming here. At least, that was the original plan,” he added, his voice trailing into a sigh. A shadow briefly crossed his face. “But given the current circumstances, it’s become too perilous. To openly confront him and his forces outside the city... and then reveal the Chosen One’s return… it would be tantamount to courting chaos itself.” Wait… you were just going to parade me openly through the streets?! Like some…. returning… hero…

“Hold on, this whole operation was your idea in the first place!” Captain Corwin jumped angrily from his seat as I held my breath, the meme flashing in my head.

“The plans have changed,” Relias confirmed. Oh, so close..! We almost had a two-fer!

“What exactly has changed?” Corwin demanded. Ah, I see it now. There’s the hotheadedness. I felt a certain wary kinship after watching his eyebrow twitch with rage.

Relias dropped his voice to an irritated whisper. “The demon king knows she’s back.

“By the corpse of Epiales!” Captain Corwin swore loudly, his face paling as he returned to his stool with a clatter.

Relias gestured discreetly to ward off evil before speaking normally, for him anyway, once again. “It is imperative we gain entry to the inner city with the utmost haste,” he insisted. “We must accomplish this before her true status becomes common knowledge among the populace. Only the inner barriers will protect her as we prepare ourselves for the ultimate, inevitable confrontation.” Inevitable? We’ll just see about that! And the inner barriers… they might already be compromised.

“Oh, there’s another name you should know..!” I looked around quickly, pushing my bowl aside. “Do you have anything I can write with?”

Captain Corwin placed a quill, an inkpot, and a small piece of parchment on the table.

After dipping the quill into the pot, I tapped it to the inkpot’s side before writing ‘Amos’ in flowing ink. It was only after I cleaned the nib with a nearby rag that I realized I had done a pretty good job with the lettering, all things considered. Didn’t even smear it.

“This name holds no meaning to me,” Relias conceded before glancing at Captain Corwin. “Are you aware of it?”

“No,” Captain Corwin shook his head. “Another demon we should be aware of?”

“Yes, I think so,” I weakly affirmed. “The name came up in passing recently.” Shoot. I should have come up with something better than that..! I quickly shoved a chunk of biscuit in my mouth so I had an excuse to stop talking.

Captain Corwin’s face grew suspicious, finally realizing an even more significant part of the story was missing. “How are you so certain the demon king knows of your return?” he asked me pointedly.

“A recent revelation from the Goddess,” Relias lied breezily before I could utter the one I told the party. Crap! Why hadn’t Relias asked me about that, anyway?

Corwin’s expression transformed in an instant as he turned to Relias. “She has graced you with her guidance once more, Holy Sage?” All traces of his initial skepticism evaporated, replaced by radiant wonder. Oh, he’s obviously a fanboy…!

“I entreat you, Captain, to hold this matter in the strictest of confidence.”

“I shall maintain absolute discretion on the matter,” Captain Corwin promised. “However, I must inquire about our next course of action.”

Relias’s lips twitched into a frown. “At present, the path forward remains unclear to me. Nevertheless, given the advancing hour and other pressing obligations that require my attention, I shall endeavor to devise an alternative strategy as we journey towards Chairo.”

“Then we are to leave at dawn as previously discussed?” Captain Corwin pressed.

“No,” Relias disagreed. Delay until noon.”

“That doesn’t make any—”

Relias stood up from his seat, abandoning his untouched meal. “What the Chosen One requires now, above all else, is a period of rest that is both safe and undisturbed. It is my solemn duty to ensure she receives precisely that.” Wait. Did he just say I was going to get a good night’s sleep? Awesome! But he also just sort of insinuated…

“Alone! I’m sleeping alone!” I exclaimed as I jumped up abruptly in alarm, discarding the last dregs of my own dinner.

“I believe you would rest better if Lady Nora shared accommodations with you,” Relias responded, seemingly oblivious to the reason for my sudden outburst. “Your sense of security is enhanced in her presence, is it not?”

“O-oh. Yeah, no, that makes sense…” Completely mortified, I pulled my hood down over my head.

“Let us take our leave then,” Relias offered his arm. In resignation, I accepted his help in exiting the tent.

“Rest well, Captain Lightbringer!” Captain Corwin called as we headed back to camp, giving me the distinct impression that he was smirking at my backside.

Is this day over yet?

 

 

1