48th Fragment: -EVERGREEN-
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Forest of the Bandit Lord]

[Land of the Opal Sun]

Sam cautiously waded through the thicket, creating a path for the siblings behind him. He occasionally glanced over his shoulder, noticing Lucy carving cross marks on the pine trees with her dagger. Her elder brother, on the other hand, was gawking at the forest canopy; both of his eyes were nearly shut as if they were focusing on something overhead.

"What's the matter, Rupe? Did you see something?" asked Sam, his hand clenched firmly on his scabbard.

"No. Nothing in particular. It's just…how do I put this…the air is kinda dead? Which is never a good sign in my book," Rupert replied, smacking his lips together.

"Woah, that’s new. Did you leave your optimism behind or something?" Lucy sarcastically replied before etching another cross mark on a tree.

"I’m more like weirded out. In the Desert of Ashes, I could still feel the lukewarm air slowly brushed against my skin. Furthermore, while we were inside the Lair of the Acolytes, I could taste the stale, underground air at the back of my throat. Here? I don't sense anything – not even a subtle movement in the night breeze."

"Perhaps your senses are temporarily disrupted by the Subsumer's lightning. Honestly, my ears are still ringing from that thunderstrike despite Sam's timely intervention," Lucy grunted.

"How about we take a short break?" Sam swiftly suggested. "Perhaps we're just exhausted from our prior battle. Besides, it's not like we're making any significant progress in our search."

A wide smile immediately spread across Rupert's face after hearing Sam's proposal, prompting him to say, "If that's the case, then I'm gonna climb up there. Maybe I could provide us with a bird's eye view – you know, to assist with our navigation. Soooo, see ya later." The elder Nightingale grabbed his sickles and began his ascent on one of the trees – leaving his younger sister alone with Sam on ground level.

"You DO realize he's not actually trying to help us, right?" said Lucy after her brother disappeared between the dense branches.

"We've been on the move for nearly thirty minutes; it's natural for someone like him to get distracted," Sam retorted as he leaned against a tree. "Or would you rather listen to him blabbering about his boredom?"

Lucy rolled her eyes; she could already imagine every word her brother would spout if they continued walking. "Fine," the female Nightingale reluctantly answered before sheathing her dagger. "But a little rest doesn't change the fact that we've been aimlessly traversing through the forest. I guess it's safe to say that we are undeniably lost."

"Which I think is a minor setback. You've been marking the trees since we first ventured into the forest, right? We can always retrace our steps – so, getting lost will be the least of our problems."

"And what will be the greatest of our problems, then? Other than the possibility of us going against Empyreans?" asked Lucy, her arms crossed.

"The Subsumer, of course. What if there are more hiding among the greens, waiting to pounce on their unsuspecting prey? Furthermore, there could also be a different type of Distorted lurking around – just like those Lacerators and the Mangler in the Wailing Forest."

The woman with the ponytail cracked a little smile after listening to the man. "I believe you underestimate this place, Sam. We're not in the Wailing Forest anymore. This place is THE Evergreen Deception, the same forest where countless careless people went missing without a trace, and even if they’re found alive, they’ll only be a shell of their former life.”

“I’m quite aware of the story, Lucy,” Sam replied. “A place where one’s greatest fear is made manifest and prey on the weak-willed. There’s no doubt there’s something sinister going on in this place, but I don’t personally believe it was the forest’s doing.”

“Then, what?”

“I don’t know but I have the feeling the people of the Opal Sun do, particularly the Empyreans and the Inner Circle.”

“If so, then why would they keep it a secret from the Order?” Lucy inquired.

“Because we are outsiders, Lucy. Every country has its secrets including the Opal Sun Kingdom. Moreover, the Cerulean Mausoleum is situated somewhere inside this place – so, it’s no surprise they wouldn’t share the secret of this forest with anyone.”

‘Child of the Flame…and the Child of the Lake…’

Sam and Lucy’s heads darted toward the disembodied, breathy voice, but all they could see was the dark shadows creeping between the pine trees. The palms of their hands began to sweat; they could also feel a prickly sensation on their fingertips.

“Did…did you hear that?” asked Lucy who noticed Sam nodding his head in affirmation.

“Child of the Flame…Child of the Lake...Those were the names the Crystal of Birth called us back in the Wailing Forest – or at least, what we assumed it was the Crystal of Birth talking,” Sam audibly recalled.

“Should we check it out, then?”

“No, I don’t think that’s a good idea. Splitting up in a place like this will be extremely dangerous.”

‘Lucia…help me…’

Lucy’s chest tightened as soon as she heard her mother’s voice echoing throughout the coniferous forest. She bared her teeth in anger but fortunately, Sam quickly stepped in to pacify the woman.

“Calm yourself, Lucy. Don’t let the voice get into your head,” Sam remarked. “Just take a few deep breaths, okay?”

“Alright…alright,” the female Nightingale did as she was told, and slowly but surely, she regained her initial composure. “What did you think that was? A Mimicrier?”

“Well, unless it can read your mind, then it’s safe to say it wasn’t a Mimicrier,” the vermillion-eyed man replied. “Whoever or whatever that was, clearly it was trying to break us apart.”

THUD!

Sam and Lucy shuddered after Rupert suddenly landed between them with a troubled expression. "Um," he began, scratching the back of his head vigorously. "We've been…walking forward all this time, right?"

"Yes?" Sam responded; slightly anxious by the change in the elder Nightingale’s voice.

"Then, why are we heading back to where we came from?"

"What do you mean 'we're heading back to where we came from'?" blurted Lucy, her forehead creased.

"Well, I was surprised too and thought that maybe the moonlight was playing tricks on me. But it's true – I saw the edge of the forest AND the Subsumer's blackened corpse."

"I see," Sam simply remarked. Without adding anything further, the vermillion-eyed man rushed toward the last tree marked by Lucy and noticed the carved line on its bark was completely gone. "It seems you're right, Luce. The forest does indeed pose a greater threat than those Distorted. The question now is: How should we proceed from here?"

Rupert quickly raised his hand and with an excited voice, said, "Oh! Oh! I’ve got an idea! How about I climb back up again and provide direction for both of you? We just need to reach the center of the forest, amirite?"

"And risk falling to your death? Hell no!" Lucy huffed.

"It's not like we have any other choice," Rupert returned, shrugging his shoulders. "So, Sam – how about it? Just say the word, and I'll be up in a jiffy."

Sam took a hurried look at Lucy who shook her head disapprovingly. Instead of giving a straight answer, the Flame Accursed pointed his finger at Rupert's feet and said, "Your recklessness nearly cost your legs. If they do end up getting amputated, you'll surely be sent to the Culling."

"I'm still here, am I not?"

"Yes, you are, and once again, tempting your fate."

Rupert snickered at Sam's reply. "Now, you sound like my worrywart of a sister. I'll be fine – fate won't allow me to die. Not yet, at least."

"Really? What makes you so sure?"

"What makes me so sure, you asked? For one, our parents' murderer has yet to be found. Just as it is your mission to find out about your past, mine is to find that son of a bitch and rip his heart out - so he'll know the pain my sister and I have been experiencing all these years."

With the pair of sky-blue eyes staring intensely at him, Sam hesitantly replied, “Very well. Just…just be careful and don’t stir up any trouble up there."

The male Nightingale smirked and immediately made his ascent to the top of the forest once more. Sam placed his hand on the hilt of his katana as he recalled the gaze Rupert had given him earlier. "He has the same eyes as you, only more intense."

"I noticed. It seems his bloodlust is getting worse," Lucy said worriedly.

"You should watch him closely, and let me know if he starts to…lose control of himself."

Lucy turned her head toward Sam, her brows snapped together. "You're…you're not gonna do it, are you?" the Water Accursed inquired, her voice trembling.

"Let’s hope it doesn't come to that," Sam sighed heavily.

qs********************************************

[Meanwhile…]

[Somewhere in the Opal Sun Palace]

The little girl's heart skipped a beat at the sight of the large glass dome adorned with gold and silver plating. Her legs began to move on their own, drawn by what lied within the structure – a vast garden of flowers and shrubberies taken from around the world, each one was meticulously tended by the Palace's gardeners.

"Io!" a deep female voice bellowed, stopping the girl dead on her track. Brisk footsteps followed after, prompting Io to spin around – seconds before a hand grabbed her by the arm.

"Would you please explain WHY are you in those filthy garbs?" Diana, the Opal Sun Palace head maid chided. The elder woman, now in her black, housekeeping tunic waited for the girl's answer. "Keeping silent won't save you, young lady. Tell me, or it'll be a week with the scullery maids."

"Alright, alright," Io relented. "I was…hanging out with the other kids in The Edge."

"Only hanging out?" Diana growled; her eyes narrowed.

"Okay! I was trying to find information regarding Aria's whereabouts. That's it, I swear!"

Diana released his hold on Io before gently pinching herself in the forehead. "Didn't the princess tell you to stay away from that place? You've disobeyed her AND my orders too many times now."

"I just want to help-."

"YOU are the princess's handmaiden! Her Radiance will not forgive herself if anything bad happens to you. I will not forgive myself if anything bad happens to you," the Head Maid lashed back.

Io dropped her gaze to the floor after feeling a sudden weight in her chest. After taking a deep breath, the girl whispered 'Sorry' to the Head Maid before tears trickled down her rosy cheeks.

Diana slowly kneeled to the ground and placed both hands on Io's shoulder, causing the latter to look the former straight in the eyes. "I know you want to help them – I really do - but not at the expense of your life. You are my responsibility, and your responsibility is to obey my order unconditionally. Do you understand?"

"Yes, ma'am," Io hesitantly countered.

"Now, go change your clothes. No maids of mine are allowed to wear such filthy clothes, especially in the Lunar Court."

“Yes, ma’am,” the girl repeated before something popped into her mind. “Oh, um…what about Rudolph? Did the soldiers find him in the Edge?”

A frown appeared on Diana’s face as she struggled to piece her words together. However, seconds later, the little girl’s face also changed – from a look of curiosity to a remorseful expression.

“I’m…sorry, Madam Diana. I should’ve-.”

“If you stayed with him, then both of you’ll be dead,” Diana retorted stoically. “My husband was aware of the risk of being a Royal Guard. The fact that he survived numerous battles until now was nothing less than a blessing from above.”

“But-!”

“If you’re thinking about blaming yourself – don’t. He made his choice – he chose to die as a warrior instead of running away like a coward. So, don’t waste his sacrifice by groveling in guilt and self-pity. Put your energy to good use – like going downstairs to change your clothes.”

Io bit down on her lips but she knew Diana would only scold her if she kept on protesting. “Yes, ma’am,” the girl complied and she briskly made her way out of the garden.

0