Chapter 10: …I messed up.
294 5 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You're late." Rei, you idiot, that's the first thing you say to me when picking me up? Like, really? ...Haaaaaah…well, I am a bit late, so I guess it's reasonable...wait. Wait, wait, wait. No it’s not. How the hell is that reasonable?! I'm not late, you fucker! How dare you try to gaslight me?!

"I'm not late." 

"That's right, you're not." Then why the hell are you trying to pick a fight with me?! 

I can feel a vein popping up on my forehead as I get in his car. It's been a couple hours since dropping Sora off at the nursery school. After I saw her go in, I turned back to go home and slept until the time scheduled with Rei arrived. A-Ah, b-but that wasn't because I felt depressed and ended up crying myself to sleep, or anything, okay?! I was just a bit sleepy, that's all! A-And even if that did happen—I'm not saying that it did—what's wrong with crying oneself to sleep, huh?! It's healing! H-E-A-L-I-N-G! I'm definitely not trying to make excuses! Not at all!

"...What are you doing?" Hmph! That doesn't concern you, sir! What goes on in my mind is only my problem! …So can you please stop looking at me as if I'm some sort of weirdo?!

"You know what? I'll just forget it. I've known you long enough to know that there are some things I should just ignore, even if they creep me out." Hey! How rude! I mean, he's not wrong, but that doesn't make him any the less rude! 

"Instead of that, here, I got you a tea." Ignoring my indignant expression, Rei picks up a paper cup from the car's cup holder and hands it over to me. Ooh, now that's warm. What a nice feeling. Today has been a bit chilly just like yesterday, so it feels amazing to hold something as warm as some hot tea…wait, tea?

"...You know I don't like tea." You asshole, what type of bullying is this?! Like, I'm not trying to be ungrateful or anything like that, 'cause he did spend his money on this. Actually, if it was anyone other than him, I would've just taken it without making a comment, and then forced it down my throat in the name of politeness. But with Rei it's a different matter! He knows very well I don't like tea, so it feels like he's doing it on purpose! Nonononono, he's DEFINITELY messing with me on purpose!

"Yeah, I know you don't, which is why I got you a coffee instead." You…fucker. Then whyyyyyyyyy?! What's the need of arguing with me for no reason?! I'm already not in the right mind after what happened with Sora! Do you think I have the mental composure needed to deal with another kid?! And one that isn't mine, to boot?! Hell no! Get outta here, you oversized baby! …………But well…hmm…this thing does taste pretty good, s-so I might as well accept it. N-No, I'm not getting bribed with coffee, or anything like that, don't misunderstand! I'm just stating facts! F-A-C-T-S!

"It's pretty good. How much was it?" You can't say I'm being bribed if I pay for it, can you?! Bwahaha! Let's see…I should have some cash in my wallet…ah, yup, there it is! Okay, is this good enou—

"Nah, don't worry about it. It's my treat." 

"..."

"...What? Why are you staring at me like that?"

"...Ah, no, it's just that I'm still waiting for the punchline." 

"There's no punchline, how rude. I bought it on my own accord, so it's only common sense that I pay for it. Are you stupid?" I mean…he does have a point there. I didn't ask him to buy me coffee, so I technically hold no responsibility for paying for it. Like, it doesn't sound reasonable to pay for things that people bought without your permission, right? Even if they're for you. Still…even if I didn't ask him to, I will drink this coffee, so I think I should pay him for it. But…

"...Okay then…thanks." …Well, I'll accept his kind gesture this time. I'll be the one to treat him to something nice next time, in exchange.

"Don't mind it. How's the kiddo today?"

"Well…so so. She cried when she understood I was leaving her on her own at the nursery school. I managed to cheer her up, and she did seem okay, but…" 

"You still feel a bit uneasy?"

"...Yeah." I haven't received a call from the nursery school since dropping Sora off, so definitely nothing noteworthy has happened, but that doesn't make the hellish hours that I can't see her any shorter. What if she's stuck not being able to talk with anyone? What if nobody wants to play with her? What if she's getting bullied? What if she's crying? I have no way of knowing, nor of doing anything about it. I feel…useless.

"...It might not mean much, because what I say is, in the end, nothing more than words, but…she'll be fine. You don't have to worry about her. She already has friends there, right?" I nod at his words. From the friends Sora made yesterday, I've personally only met Lily, but she did appear to get along very well with Sora, and didn't seem to be a bad girl, even if she was a bit energetic. …That does calm me down a bit, I'm not gonna lie. After all, in the odd situation that some problem did come up, I'm sure both of them could get out of the pinch together.

"And she's your kid, so I'm sure she'll be fine. Like mother, like daughter, after all." Haha…he's talking as if I'm some kind of outstanding or special person in any way. Even if my life is a bit abnormal, in the end, I'm nothing more than a normal girl. I wonder what I have done in the past that makes him have that kind of impression of me; I can’t recall anything off the top of my head. He’s probably just trying to be kind with me. Yeah, that must be it.

"...Yeah, thanks." So let’s just accept his generosity; that's the least I can do.

"Don't mention it."

∆ ∆ ∆

“So this is it…” Those words unconsciously leave my mouth as I stand on the university's main entrance. Though classes haven't started yet, the sheer amount of people walking through the entrance is overwhelming. Not only that, but seeing what lies on the other side makes me hesitate for a moment.  At the other side of the entrance, there is a huge flat area that is filled to the brim with countless stalls of different colors and sizes. This is…the legendary member scouting of the university's clubs. How scary. The members on the stalls are continuously moving around, stopping people in their tracks with their business smiles. Urgh, to be honest, I'd prefer to be run over by a car before having to talk with one of those guys. ...Well, no, not really, 'cause I can't die and leave Sora behind on her own, but well, you get my point. 

"What? Scared already?" Okay, okay, yeah, you can laugh at me, you sociable fuck, but It's not only my social skills that are the problem here. I'm also feeling incredibly uncomfortable with how clubs seem to be conducted at this university. Like, why the hell are the "Abortion Advocates Club' and the 'Pregnancy Awareness Club' right next to each other?! S-Surely they won't go to war with one another using this place as their battlefield, right?! Crap, and those two aren't even the only ones! The same can be said about the several religious clubs that seem to exist. All of them are shouting the glory of their respective Gods while glaring at each other! Like, isn't this waaaaa~y too political?! 

Like, where are the anime club, or the videogame club, or the volleyball club?! Where are the normal clubs?! Where are the clubs that are about having fun, and not about doing random propaganda?! Do they not exist here?!

"...Should we go around them?"

"Definitely."

I nod at Rei's words and start walking ahead. While there were a hell ton of stalls, not all of them were open right now. Most of them were not, as a matter of fact, 'cause well, it isn't the first day of classes yet. I'm sure when that day comes this place will turn into hell on Earth. Anyway, the point is that if we move around the inactive stalls, we should able to—

"Are you two freshmen?" …Fuck. Why does this always happen to me?! Nonono, before that, where did this idiot with glasses even come from?! I made sure to check that nobody was around as we made our way through the stalls, so how the hell is he here right now?! I didn't even sense him approaching!

…Well, of course I didn't, it's not like I have magic powers or anything like that…but still! I should've at least heard his footsteps or something! If I could've just heard those, we might've been able to walk the other way and evade him! But nooooooo, there's no way that would ever happen!

Is this what they call plot armor?! Wait, nononononono, isn't plot armor supposed to help the protagonist?! Why is it setting me up like this, then?! Unless…he is the true protagonist?! ...Hah. Nah, as if this guy I'll never see again could ever be the protagonist. He's just some random extra.

"Hahaha, no need to be so on guard." Nonono, Mr. Extra.  I think it is very needed. VERY. NEEDED. We have no idea what kind of shady organization you belong to, after all. You could belong to the Necrophilia Lovers Club, for all I know. Your business smile is not going to trick me that easily.

"My name is George, what's yours?" 

"You don't need our names. Get to the point, whatever that is." Nice one, Rei!

"Ha-Hahaha…b-but…" Mr. Extra's business smile started to crack at Rei's words. A vein started to bulge on his forehead, and his face started turning red in—I guess—embarrassment. …Or is it in anger? Is Mr. Extra mad that he's being so openly disrespected? I mean, Rei is being pretty rude, isn't he? And unlike always, I don't think it's accidental this time. He looks pretty damn annoyed at Mr. Extra. 

Hmm? You're saying that I should intervene and calm Rei down for the sake of peace? Hah, as if. You think I'm not annoyed too? I hate talking to strangers; there's no way in hell I'll support this guy who's only job seems to be to interrupt innocent passersby like myself. It's not my problem if Rei makes him cry with his words. If that happens, the only one at fault will be this guy for being such a weak-minded idiot. 

…Tch, is it just me, or am I more irritable than usual?

"...W-W-Well, that's fine. I-I was wondering if you two might be looking for a club to join?"

"We're not." Rei refuses curtly. Though, well, even if it was a curt response, it is true that we're not looking for a club to join. Rei is soon going to start his successor training to inherit his father's company so he won't have a lot of time to spare. As for me, well, I think it's pretty obvious why I can't be in a club. 

Sora's in the nursery school from 8 am to 2 pm—a total of six hours each day. So when planning my class schedule, I made sure that for every day of the week, all of my classes were in that time frame. It was hard, and I did have to leave out some classes I really wanted to take because they didn't fit in that range, but it's okay. I can take them later, no biggie; school isn't my priority, anyway. While I'll technically be a full-time student, I don't really want to consider myself that. No, I prefer to consider myself only a part-time student, so that I can be a full-time loving, doting, and caring mommy.

...

...

...

…Damn, that was pretty cringe, wasn't it? Like, crawl into a hole and die levels of cringe. Wawawawawawawa, why do I always say things that sound sooooo bad?! I mean, I know I'm only saying them in my head, but still!

A-A-Anyway, the point is that I have no time to waste around after school every day! And even if I had, I wouldn't waste it by being part of a club, I'd much rather just spend it with my little girl! 

"H-H-Ha-Hahaha…I-Is that so?" Oh, well, Mr. Extra seems to have turned even redder in the time I was lost in thought. What was he saying...meh, I don't remember anymore, and I don't care. All that matters is that he still doesn't seem to be backing down even if Rei has already told him we're not interested. "W-Well, in any case, please do allow me to extend to you an invitation to the—" 

"Drop it. We have no intention of joining any club, and nothing you can say will change that. So how about you stop wasting our time?" Oh, Rei's sooo clearly looking down on Mr. Extra that it kind of makes me feel bad for the poor idiot. Just kidding; fuck you, Mr. Extra! …Okay, no, but I do wish he'd just let us go, you know? There are still a lot of places to visit, after all. And I'm not even part of the conversation, so why the hell do I even have to be stuck here? Maybe I should just leave Rei behind and walk away.

...

...

...

…Wait…that's...actually pretty doable? Yeah, you know what? Let's do just that. It'll be my thanks to Rei for trying to gaslight me earlier into thinking I was late. And soooo, with that said, I'll see you in the cafeteria, dude!

I flash Rei a friendly smile and wave my hand in an exaggerated manner by folding my fingers in succession. He tilts his head to the side for a moment in confusion, before giving me an expression that I can only interpret as him saying 'Don't you dare!' Ha! Naive, naive, naive! I'm sorry, but I do dare! And so, ciao ciao!

Nobody tries to stop me as I walk away. Rei is too busy verbally harassing the crap out of Mr. Extra, and the poor guy is too busy trying to protect his sense of pride without backing down. …Wow, had I known it was going to be this easy, I would've left ages ago. Oh well, no use crying over spilt milk, I guess. Instead of worrying about that, let's find something to eat, 'kay? Yup, that sounds like a great idea, 'cause I'm starving.

...

...

...

…………………Wait, where's the cafeteria?

∆ ∆ ∆

"...She really left me behind, that cold-hearted woman." I massage my temple in irritation as I stare into the sky. Sakura, who was standing next to me just a few minutes ago, is now nowhere to be seen.  The only thing she left behind was a text message sent to my phone that said:

'Good luck, bestie~! I'll be at the cafeteria, so come look for me when you're done with curious George~!' God, damn it, she's so annoying. We are here doing a tour of the university precisely because we don't know how to traverse it, and yet she's telling me she's going to the cafeteria? Is she stupid? She's only going to get lost on the way there, and then I'll have to look for her.

…No, you know what? This is probably for the best. It's a good thing that she left, giving herself a chance to clear her mind and relax.

…But even so, what a pain. 

"Rei?" While I am mentally cursing Sakura's recklessness, a girly voice calls out to me. Turning my head around, I see a girl my age quickly approaching me. Wide and round dark purple eyes with long eyelashes; silky short blonde hair that fades into a light purple at its ends; the girl in front of me is someone who I recognize—my sister, Angela.

"Ange?" She moved away when we were eight, and came back only just recently, having graduated from high school. We were very close when we were kids, but now all that remains from that bond is its ghost. The physical distance that was created between us when she moved away was a huge wall that we couldn't overcome, and as time passed by, we only continued drifting further and further apart, to the extent in which we both reached the conclusion that by that point, the other was just a stranger with the same last name. 

"It is you, Rei. What are you doing here? Didn't you say you'd be hanging out with a friend today? Oh, are you maybe exploring the university with them?" After confirming I'm her brother, Ange walks up to me with a cheery atmosphere and a smile. 

"It's just as you say. I'm here touring the university with her. How about you? Why are you here?" Ange hums slightly at my words, as if I just said something that piqued her interest. She turns to look at the front, places her hand on her chin, and hesitates for a second. 

"...It was supposed to be a surprise, but I also enrolled here. Dad suggested it, and I really liked the idea, especially because this university seems to have a very good arts program, and it's pretty close to home. Anyway, the point is that I applied and got accepted." She nods in apparent satisfaction at her own answer. I see…that certainly makes sense.

"That aside…Rei…where is this friend you said you're with? Is she the one who gets along well with Dad?" 

"...Yes, that's her." I hesitate for a second, but eventually nod. Just as Ange said, Sakura gets along very well with my old man. She has told me before that he often invites her over to play chess, and that her matches with him are seriously entertaining, despite how she has never won a single time. My old man has also said he really likes Sakura, jokingly encouraging me to 'make my move' to make her his daughter-in-law as soon as possible. And my Mother also seems to hold her in high esteem, for some reason.

"Then when do you plan to introduce her to meeeee???? I'm the only one of the family that hasn't met her yetttt!!!!" Ange clings to my arm and pouts as she gives me puppy eyes. Well, it's true that she's the only one who hasn't met her, though. I wasn't intentionally keeping Sakura away from her or vice-versa, it's just that the chance for both of them to meet had never come up. Maybe I should use this opportunity to present them to each other; it'd be nice if Sakura were to get a friend other than myself.

"...You know what? Rejoice, Ange. I'll introduce her to you right now."

"What?! Really?! Really?! Really?!"

"Really, so don't be so noisy. We got separated a bit ago, so let's go search for her first." Ange nods excitedly at my words, and thus our search for Sakura begins.

∆ ∆ ∆

"...There she is." Unexpectedly, Sakura is exactly where she said she'd be. She is sitting on one of the tables in the outer area of the cafeteria. 

"...That's…her…" The way in which Ange's words escape her mouth make it seem as though she is completely enthralled—mesmerized. Sakura isn't doing anything noteworthy, she is simply sitting relaxedly on her chair as she stares into empty space. Other than her occasional sighs, there is nothing else that could be said to make her stand out among the crowd. I don't know what it is that caught Ange's attention. Maybe an artist like herself is able to see things that I can not, or maybe she's simply astonished at how Sakura, the figure praised even by that usually apathetic Father of hers, doesn't seem to be anything out of this world. Regardless of the reason, Ange doesn't seem to be able to take her eyes off her.

"Let's go, we shouldn't just stay here and—...huh?" As I am starting to urge Ange to approach her, I notice a random guy approaching Sakura's table. A guy maybe a year or two older than ourselves, wearing your stereotypical university jacket with his hair combed backwards. The guy starts talking to Sakura before I even have a chance to analyze the situation.

...Bloody hell, this is bad. From the distance, I see her waving at him with her hand in a disdainful manner, maybe telling him to leave her alone.

"R-R-R-Rei?! Shouldn't we go help her?!" Ange panicky pulls me by the arm, not waiting for my response as she drags me forward. But I stand my ground, which causes her to stumble forward before turning at me with a confused expression.

"She doesn't need help. She can deal with this just fine." In fact, it's better if she does it on her own. I might not be making any sense, but anyone in my position would understand my intentions.

Ever since we were dealing with the club guy at the entrance, I've had the vague idea that Sakura has been in a very bad mood today. No, that's not right. I have realized that today she's being easily irritated by anything. I have no idea if she noticed it herself, but every time that the club guy back then said anything, Sakura would click her tongue and glare at him. It's not strange that she was annoyed—even I was annoyed by his persistence. What is strange, however, is that she was openly showing her annoyance, because Sakura never really shows that kind of feeling even when she's at her boiling point. That she's so easily glaring at the guy and clicking her tongue is proof that something is wrong with her today.

That's why I tried to take the lead in the conversation, aiming to end it as soon as possible despite being aware I was being extremely rude to the guy. I was glad when she left ahead of me, because I thought she would have an opportunity to relieve her annoyance, but… I was too naive.

The only thing—no, the only person—that can effectively replace her irritation with happiness is probably playing and laughing with kids her age right about now. That's right, if she's overly irritable right now, it's probably because she doesn't have the kiddo by her side, and she isn't used to it. It probably started off as loneliness, and then evolved into the bad mood that is holding her over the edge right now. And the most troublesome thing about all of this is that the kiddo, the only person who keeps Sakura in check, isn't here at the moment.

For Sakura, being next to Sora is something akin to being in front of your parents. In other words, in front of the kiddo, Sakura can only show her best behavior, because she doesn't want to set a bad example for her. But invert that statement, and it means that when she isn't with the kid, Sakura...doesn't care about keeping her image.

Thinking of it as a metaphor, at the moment, Sakura is a car running at max speed without her brakes. So what do you think is the only way to stop her? Of course, by having her crash onto something, like a tree. Is it easy to guess where I am going? Sakura has to let out some steam, and for that, a target is needed. That's why I'm not approaching to help her, because...I have decided that the sacrifice to calm her down will be that guy who is hitting on her. Yes, I am sending him to the slaughterhouse, because in the end, he was the one who pushed her over her boiling point. It's only common sense that stupid people pay for their stupid mistakes, isn't that so?

"Wh-What are you saying?! Look, she's—...huh?" Ange's voice who was arguing back at me comes to a complete halt as she stares at the scene. There, the image of Sakura standing up, and then promptly delivering a kick to the guy's crotch can be seen. It's such a merciless kick that even I grimace a little as I watch the sacrificial lamb fall to the ground, powerless. The poor guy doesn't even seem to have the strength to roll around in pain, as he simply stays still holding his crotch in a fetal position. Truly a shame. His noble sacrifice shall never be forgotten...nor his stupidity ever forgiven.

Sakura continues to kick him as he stays on the floor...and in the exact same place. ...Is she trying to castrate him? It certainly looks that way. Just what the hell did that guy say to her that made her this mad? Not that it's my problem.

Sakura eventually seems to calm down, and starts looking around in panic, searching for any witness...and meets my eyes. Then, she turns to look beside me, at Ange, who has been staring at her in awe all this time. Noticing this, her expression shifts into one that quite clearly says...

'...I messed up.'

Afterword

Okay, okay, here me out. I'm late by a week, I know, and I’m sorry. In exchange for the wait, I’ve made this chapter quite a bit longer than usual. Did you like it? It’s the first time I’ve changed perspective to someone other than Sakura, and you know what, it's really hard writing perspectives. I hadn’t thought much about it, but if you want to write from multiple perspectives, you need to give each of the perspectives something that differentiates them from the rest. 

Sakura's narration, for example, has a lot of small quirks (like the “ ‘kay ” and “nonononono” / ”wawawawawa”), breaking the 4th wall moments, curses, and inner dialogue. Rei, however, doesn’t do that. I tried to make him a more serious type of narrator, one who doesn’t get caught up in his emotions as easily. I’m still working on his perspective’s personality, though. I feel I can do it much better, I just need to think a bit harder. Thinking of speech quirks is surprisingly complicated. Anyway, next time it’s his turn in the spotlight, I’ll aim to have his personality more developed, pinky promise.

Anyway, on another news, in this chapter we finally had the introduction of the last member of our main cast! It took quite some time, especially because my uploads are so inconsistent, but well, we have finally met Angela (who everybody just calls Ange). I won’t give details of her character or anything like that here in the afterword so as to not spoil the fun, but we’ll be seeing her around quite a lot in the future, so it’d be great if you could look forward to it. 

Anyway, that’s all from me for today. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Thank you very much for reading, and putting up with these inconsistent updates of mine. And so with that said, I hope to see you again next time, bye bye.

P.S: Thanks for the comments about the grammatical errors I have; I’ll finally fix them this week :)

7