Chapter Eight: Promises and Daggers
69 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Leylin slowly stirred from his slumber, a golden beam of sunlight gently caressed his face, coaxing him to wakefulness with a groan. Blinking sleep from his eyes, he sat up on his bed, trying to shake off the fatigue that lingered after a night of passion. After indulging in the passionate encounter, he had returned to his chamber to rest, seeking some semblance of peace.

However, as he settled back into his room, a notification from the AI chip suddenly beeped, cutting through the haze of confusion and tiredness. The message now made sense after some well-deserved rest.

[Beep! Host had signed a contract with his internal energy with Mila Arstin, after making a promise willingly.]

It appeared that he had unwittingly signed a contract with Mila Arstin, bound by their internal energies and sealed with that fateful kiss.

This kind of contractual technique was common among noblemen when dealing with uncertain parties. The condition required full willingness on both sides, with the trigger often being a physical act like dripping blood onto a medium that would hold the contract's terms. Breaking the contract would result in dire consequences, ranging from severe injuries to even potential death. However, there was also the possibility of bypassing the contract if the medium was destroyed, although nobles rarely used themselves as the medium due to the risk it posed.  Yet, this time, the Queen had chosen herself as the medium, a rare and daring move.

Leylin pondered the situation and realized, 'The Queen must really care for that boy,' a wry smile creasing his lips. He had unwittingly signed yet another contract that could lead to his demise if he failed to fulfil the objective. Though the exact consequences for breaching the contract remained unclear, he was certain they wouldn't be favourable.

Despite the circumstances, he couldn't find it in himself to be angry with her. After all, she had granted him immense pleasure, and as part of the contract he had signed, she had promised that he could have her for as long as he remained in her palace. Moreover, he had already signed a soul contract that bound him to complete the task, and even without that contract with the Queen, he knew failure was not an option.

Quickly freshening up, Leylin joined his group to assess the situation of their impending departure. It was time to prepare himself for the dangers that lay ahead, fully aware that tasks of this nature always carried risks. He had read enough stories and watched enough shows, like "The Letter for the King," to know that even seemingly simple missions, such as delivering a letter, could spiral into treacherous adventures. He knew he needed to be vigilant and ready for whatever challenges might arise on this perilous journey.

**********

Crow grimaced as he limped towards the window, every step sending jolts of excruciating pain through his body. Despite having consumed healing potions, the agony seemed relentless. His once sleek, raven hair now hung messily over his bloodshot eyes, a reflection of the torment he endured. Hatred and anger consumed him as he dwelled on the thought of the old man responsible for their suffering. The man had tortured them repeatedly until they were coerced into signing the soul contract, leaving scars that resisted the healing properties of the potions.

In their desperate situation, Kara, the most knowledgeable among them, couldn't fathom the reason for this lingering pain. It was evident that the malevolent old man wanted them to suffer for days on end before putting an end to their torment. As Crow contemplated revenge, two things became crystal clear in his mind. First, the informant who had failed to provide crucial information about the retired acolyte would face a gruesome fate. Secondly, he would stop at nothing to ensure the old man's grandson remained trapped in the Great Plains of the Dead forever. Though the soul contract bound him not to harm the grandson, his grandson's protector, his family, or their kingdom, the wording allowed for a certain degree of manoeuvrability.

A cunning and sinister plan began to take shape in Crow's mind, his lips curving into a wicked smile. However, his moment of triumph was interrupted by a fit of coughs, curses, and painful grunts, a stark reminder of the toll his current state took on him. Despite the torment, his resolve remained unshaken, and he knew that once he recovered, he would set his vengeful plan into motion, determined to make the old man pay dearly for the suffering he had inflicted.

**********

[A week later]

Leylin stood in the courtyard of the magnificent Arstin Palace, his upper body exposed and the enchanted katana gripped tightly in his right hand. Although the katana wasn't considered an artefact yet, it possessed a special quality granted by the runes etched into its blade. These runes enhanced the weapon's durability and sharpness, allowing Leylin to infuse it with his internal energy without causing any damage.

As Leylin moved, his muscles emitted steam, and veins protruded across his body. He executed intricate slashes, accompanied by complex footwork, all performed in a deliberate, slow rhythm. With each motion, Leylin could feel his internal life energy circulating in a specific pattern, and a fine layer of perspiration covered his entire body.

He had been engaged in this exercise for the past three hours, using it to assimilate the elixir he had acquired from the Arstin Family. The AI chip within his mind analyzed and optimized the movements, ensuring the elixir was digested at an accelerated rate, preventing any wastage. The AI chip had been incredibly active lately, assimilating the Arstin family's breathing technique into Leylin's existing technique, resulting in a breakthrough known as the B.K. breathing technique (Branded Knight for B.K.).

The B.K. technique, derived from the profound and complex techniques of the Arstin family, had become the foundation for Leylin's knight training. As a result, his main weapon had changed from a cross blade to the katana, and the AI chip assured him that the technique had reached a level suitable for his future assimilation of other techniques. In addition to the Arstin family's technique, Leylin had also received the techniques from Ourin and his group, and the AI chip was already adjusting and refining the B.K. technique to incorporate these new elements.

With the exercise complete, Leylin's body, which had turned red from the intense blood circulation, gradually returned to its normal state. He wiped away the sweat with a towel and commanded the AI chip to display his current stats. The AI chip responded, providing Leylin with his updated attributes, which had been augmented by consuming the elixirs.

He commanded the AI through his mind, 'A.I. Chip show me my current stats.'

[Beep! Task established!]

[Leylin Farlier

Strength: 2.8

Agility: 2.9

Vitality: 2.8

Status: Healthy]

He was pleased to see a significant increase in all his stats, realizing that he could potentially reach the Grand Knight realm solely by digesting the elixirs.

As Leylin reflected on the warning he had received from Queen Mila regarding the elixirs, he felt relieved. Thanks to the AI chip's guidance, he could fully digest each elixir before taking another, avoiding any potential dangers associated with incomplete digestion. The memory of the AI chip's warning about the consequences of failing to heed the queen's advice still sent shivers down his spine as those who take the elixir without fully digesting it may suffer from external excessive internal energy bombarding their innards, later blasting their body inside out. He had asked the AI chip for a way to expedite the digestion process, and it had delivered, as always.

Leylin wasn't one to idle around either. In the mornings, he dedicated five hours to practising the B.K. combat techniques, assimilating them into his fighting style. The afternoons were spent exploring the marketplace of Silverport City, the capital of the Arstin Kingdom, alongside Jonathan and Karl. Leylin discovered that the Arstin Kingdom had advanced knowledge in alchemy compared to other kingdoms he had encountered. Intrigued, he made some purchases, including explosive potions, venomous-coated bolts for crossbows, and berserk potions, using the gold he had acquired from Ourin's group. Later, from the queries Leylin found out that because of the fifth prince of the kingdom, Olma Arstin, the kingdom's alchemy made such a breakthrough, he kept the information in his mind.

Evenings were reserved for connecting with his alliance members. Leylin understood that he couldn't simply command them to follow him blindly, disregarding their noble pride. Instead, he aimed to build relationships and establish a positive reputation to earn their trust and cooperation. And when night fell, Leylin indulged in the company of Queen Mila, enjoying her passionate presence and discovering her uninhibited nature in their intimate moments.

Unbeknownst to Leylin, he wasn't the only one keeping busy. There were other forces at play, and the future held more surprises than he could have ever imagined.

**********

In another courtyard,

Amidst the spacious courtyard, a slender red-haired boy engaged in a fierce battle against four adversaries, each putting up an equally determined fight. Despite his numerous injuries and bloodshot eyes, he refused to yield. The days of humiliation had ignited an unyielding fire within him. The boy's ultimate goal was to reach the esteemed Knight Realm, even if it meant facing life-threatening wounds.

**********

In another section of the Palace,

A robust, golden-haired boy confronted two opponents with a steady determination. Like his companions, he too sought to ascend to the Knight Realm. However, a sense of envy gnawed at him whenever he caught sight of his friend Leylin. Perhaps it was Leylin's closeness to Bessita, the attention he received at the evening feasts, or his superior progress in knighthood that stirred this jealousy. Whatever the reason, the golden-haired boy was resolved to break through from the Preparatory Knight stage to the esteemed Knight Realm.

**********

In a dimly lit room within a seedy tavern,

Two cloaked figures huddled around a greasy table, their ale emitting a foul stench. "When do we continue our journey?" inquired the man missing his left ear, his voice raspy and hollow.

Across from him sat a much younger and paler companion who responded softly, "The Lord has given us the signal to be ready for the journey tomorrow."

"Hmm," the man with the missing ear grunted as he took a swig of the repulsive ale, studying his companion with sharp eyes that made the young man uneasy. "And if I may ask, why has the Lord been delaying our journey? We must reach Death Beach within the given time, for any delay might lead to the Lords receiving less favourable evaluations, something they'd prefer to avoid. So, tell me what's really going on," he pressed.

Nervously, the young man glanced around before lowering his voice even further, "I don't have all the details, but it seems the Lords offended someone they shouldn't have, resulting in injuries. They've been trying to conceal it, but I've seen through their attempts. These past days, they were most likely recuperating to heal their wounds."

The man with the missing ear chuckled, shaking his head as his light brown eyes flickered with intrigue. "It appears there is more transpiring beneath the surface than meets the eye." Rising from his seat, he settled the bill with the bartender and left the tavern, leaving the young man deep in contemplation.

He set off in the direction of a courtier's residence, his thoughts consumed by the mysteries surrounding the Lords' actions.

****************

[Author's Note:

Hello, dear readers,

I hope this message finds you in good health and spirits. I have a favour to ask of you: if you come across any errors or find the content confusing, kindly let me know in the comments section below. Your feedback is valuable to me, and I appreciate any input you can provide.

Also, if you enjoy my work and would like to show your support, please consider visiting my Ko-fi page at the following link:

https://ko-fi.com/motorboat7

Your support means the world to me, and I believe you won't be able to resist the urge to contribute. 😊  ]

2