Ch. 22 – Last Breath
35 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Twenty-Two 

Last Breath

My heart was pounding so hard that I thought it might burst out of my chest. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It was like something straight out of a horror movie. My mind was racing, trying to make sense of the terrifying scene before me. My hands were trembling, and my breaths were shallow. I felt like I couldn’t move and was frozen in fear. All I could do was stare, wide-eyed and petrified, at the source of my terror. The fear that had taken hold of me was unlike anything I had ever experienced. It was a feeling that I hoped I would never have to experience again.

I couldn’t believe he found me.

I thought… I thought I’d be safe.

“Snow, you need to leave,” Enoxon yelled over his shoulder.

If I left and separated from Enoxon, I’d be more of a target. But I couldn’t fathom the words I needed to tell him. The creature I saw in front of me - this shadow. He wasn’t a shadow right now. The beam of darkness faded as the demon recalled it, his red eyes landing directly on me. I could see him smirking under the moonlight, those sharp teeth grinning wickedly. 

Enoxon’s shield had disappeared, and he locked his stance, feet apart, shoulders back, and his staff shimmering in front of him as he stared directly at this demon. “What do you want?” He demanded.

I suddenly heard his voice, which sent chills down my spine. The voice was low and husky, almost like it was coming from beyond the grave. It was so haunting that it made the hairs on my neck stand up. The words spoken were slow and deliberate, each one dripping with malice. “Is this not obvious, Great Sorcerer.”

Even though he was in front of me, his voice felt like it was all around me, surrounding me with its eerie presence. It was a voice I would never forget, haunting my nightmares for years.

“I was sure that my mark represented what I wanted,” His voice whispered.

Enoxon glared at him.

“So if you would so kindly hand her over,” He asked, holding his hand to us. 

“I’d never.”

“Oh, but we had a deal,” The demon sneered, his long fingers pointing at Enoxon now. “Are you dare cross our deal?”

“Deal?” I questioned, my heart dropping and shattering.

“There was no deal,” Enoxon snapped. He whispered an enchantment, and something dark flew from his staff at the demon. It was a dark beam lined with red specks.

However, the demon sidestepped it and replied, “You mustn’t remember, Enoxon.”

My eyes immediately shifted to the sorcerer before me, fear washing over me. Did he… Make a deal with this demon? I backed away from Enoxon, moving closer to the ocean as I did so. I glanced over my shoulder and into the water. “What is he talking about, Eno?” I whispered to him, my heart feeling shattered.

“Nothing, he’s playing tricks, Snow!” Enoxon replied, glancing over his shoulder to reassure me. “Incenectus Animiteus!” He had summoned a new spell, aiming his staff toward the demon. The orange and black colors seemed to represent the balance of light and dark energies required to invoke such a potent spell. 

“Your petty little spells won’t affect me, Enoxon.” The demon stood poised and ready, their eyes locked on the sorcerer across the beach. The air was thick with tension as the two faced off, each waiting for the other to make the next move. The demon launched a powerful black and red enchantment in their direction.

But Enoxon sorcerer was ready. With a flick of his wrist, he sent the spell hurtling back towards the demon, amplified by his black magical abilities. The nightmare was caught off guard, and stumbled backward, his attack now turning against him.

The demon growled, glaring at the man. But he simply dusted off his jacket and faded into the surroundings again. 

Enoxon was glowing slightly red, his eyes scanning the clearing. He would often aim a beam of darkness into the woods in hopes of hitting him. 

“The girl, please, Enoxon. I do not wish for this to get messy,” The demon’s raspy voice. He suddenly appeared beside the sorcerer, causing him to stumble out of shock and trip to the side. With that quick movement, the demon dug something green into the side of Enoxon, causing him to grunt in pain. He glared at the monster, eyes cold with hatred. 

I looked at the demon, taking in his looks. He was tall with massive black horns that sat on his head. His hair was white like mine, but his eyes were red like blood. His outfit seemed familiar as I took in the sights of it—the skulls on the shoulder, the tinge of red that lined his chest. Large, black, and heavily feathered wings sprouted from his back, and his ears were pointy. I saw the chain belt on him, lined with tools and weapons. Who was this demon?

“I cannot give her to you. You’re not the one I made a deal with,” Enoxon snapped, groaning in pain as the stab wound wilted through his body.

“Oh, but wasn’t I?” The demon held his hand again, a few feet away from Enoxon. His wicked grin appeared on his face again as he narrowed his eyes. A shadow of black appeared from his hand, forming a woman within his grip. This woman was slumped in his grasp, her head to the side and revealing her blonde hair. She had slight freckles on her face and appeared to be passed out. “I’m sure your Nova would disagree with you.”

“Nova?” Enoxon gasped, all of his senses dropping. He was holding his side with one hand, and the other was still gripping his staff, but he stumbled to his knees as his pain grew more substantial.

The demon dropped this woman named ‘Nova’ to the ground, letting her land with a thump in the sand.

“Nova?” I whispered. Who was Nova? Oh, Great Celestials. I’m going to die.

“But… She died… So many years ago….” Enoxon whispered.

“A deal with the Devil,” A grin appeared on his face. “She has been searching for you - day after day here in the underworld when I made her immortal in exchange for her soul.”

Enoxon was speechless; his eyes were wide as they could be as he noticed this woman lying on the ground passed out. He shook his head, tears streaking those cheeks of his again. “You’re lying. She wouldn’t have done that!” His voice was angry and loud, causing a stir - a loud clap of thunder above us. 

I shuddered at the thought of thunder right now. “E-Moxon?” I whispered up to him. “W-what are you doing?” 

A black smokey fuse began to form from Enoxon as his anger consumed him. Fear and anger are two feelings that could cause the worst feign-outs from any sorcerer - especially that of black magic. That is how Astaroth said it. And right now, I could see the anger fusing out from this sorcerer in front of me.

“Now, now, Enoxon,” The demon spoke in a low whisper. “You wouldn’t want to disappoint her, would you?” He began to walk towards us slowly. 

“Enoxon, I’m not sure what’s happening, but please calm down!” I called out to him. Rain began to pour down on us, soaking me damn near immediately. I could feel the waves start to crash onto the shore harder than they were before. Every wave that crashed onto the beach would crawl up my body more and more. 

“Enoxon, give me Aria.”

“I…”

“Or else, I will rip apart Nova right here in front of you and devour her soul immediately,” The demon spoke as he approached Enoxon.

“Enoxon!” I begged him.

He glanced over his shoulder, the anger rising even more. His gentle green gaze had turned, though - it was no longer green. It was consumed by black. The sorcerer was destroyed by the shadows that arose him. 

“Enoxon, please, snap out of it!” I cried out to him.

“S-Sn-Snow?” He whispered. “I’m sorry.”

“Sorry?!” 

Enoxon had turned his back to me, stepping aside as the bright red-eyed demon approached me. 

His large feathery wings shimmering behind him, and his face twisted with excitement, the demon approached me, which caused me to shuffle back into the water. I feared for my life, and that’s when that burning pain from my side began to hurt. The flames that I felt inside me, the pain that I could feel, caused me to grunt. I glared at Enoxon, who stood aside, his body consumed by the shadowy presence. I could only see his white hair flowing in and out of the shadows. I couldn’t believe him. I couldn’t believe he betrayed me after asking me never to break his trust. I was so saddened.

“Enoxon… Please,” I begged him quietly. 

The demon was only a few feet before me, my side burning with pain. I bit my tongue to avoid letting out a scream of pain - remembering the words he had initially left me with. 

Scream as loud as you can, my dear. The more delicious your blood will be.

I remember that night - I was hunted again in the forest after leaving their home. I remember the pain he caused me - the fear that ran through me. The demon reached his hand out, causing me to be lifted upwards by some magical force. Everything I saw over this demon was full of hatred for the sorcerer a few feet away from me. Other than his hair, I could only see the bruise on his arm; it stood out loud and clear. 

“The pact had been made - that of a Sorcerer and a Demon,” He whispered. “Enoxon belongs to me. And you will soon also belong to me.” He pulled me closer to him and forced me to stare into those demonic red eyes. I stared at him, and I saw something. I gasped as I opened my mouth to call this man out. He immediately silenced me, “You will be mine. Like the rest of your family. The world does not need you.” 

I tried to call this man out but couldn’t fathom any words. That was, until a second later. My entire body felt pain - it was sharp and spread through my whole body. It caused me to let out a blood-shattering scream, piercing my ears. The pain coursing through me was much more than when I was first marked. It started at the mark and went up and down my body. Knowing that this demon in my presence hurt me, it destroyed me. I stared at Enoxon, raising my hand to him as I could feel the pain bring tears to my eyes. For a moment, I could only think of embracing the pain as I tried to think of an alternative. I tried to kick at him, but my legs were too short. This made the demon angry as he tightened his grip around my neck with the shadowy grip of pain. This forced me to scream even more. 

Kurai was gone.

His fear and anger consumed Enoxon.

Astaroth had no idea where I was.

Jenieva was running her bar.

Casielle and Zarall, same as Astaroth. 

Yushin was probably helping out some soul.

And Yuna was gone.

I had no one.

I was alone.

I was going to die for him.

Wait.

Did I have… Did I have my dagger?

Can I call Kurai? He’s bonded to me, right? He’s got a pact with me. He’s my guardian. Why didn’t I think of that? I did my best to reach into my bag, barely hanging onto me. I kept a cold stare at the demon as I continued to feel even weaker. It felt as though my life force was being drained. I fumbled through the bag as much as I could before I could feel the heat from the blade. It was warm - it was linked to Kurai. I can bring him back from Tartaros. Right? I also felt the grimoire; maybe that would be of use too? No. I couldn’t let the demon know that I had this grimoire.

But I had to try and call Kurai. I had to.

I was not strong enough - nor did I know any spells. 

Kurai, please, you are my last hope. I pleaded silently as I gripped the dagger, feeling the warmth run through my body. 

“I will not be your meal, nor should any other demon, human, or reaper!” I snapped at him.

“Tch,” The demon snarled, staring at me with his demonic red eyes. That wicked grin appeared again, though. “I have the strongest sorcerers under my control. What will a puny little reaper like you do?”

I attempted to kick at him again, forcing him to tighten his grip around me. I felt as though my body was being wrapped in chains. I couldn’t move my arms or my legs anymore. I was floating above the ground as he leaned me towards him and started to whisper an enchantment under his breath, and I could barely hear him. It felt as though blood was coming out of my ears as my insides began to twist. I felt the blood in my body begin to slow, forcing me into a frigid state. The interior of my body felt chilled to ice, and I continued to hold that dagger.

“Kurai, please,” I whispered under my breath as I began to cough on my lack of airflow.

My breathing slowed even more, causing my heartbeat to feel like it was slowing down, and my eyes were closing. This was how he killed my family?

“Please,” I begged one more time to Kurai. The bond was there; I knew it was. I needed him. “Do not… Let me… Down.”

Snow. Please forgive me.

My eyes shot open as I felt a surge of air flow back through me when I heard that familiar voice.

You may die. 

What?

I am weak - but for you, I will sacrifice everything.

“Kurai…” I whispered with the last bit of breath.

I could feel something seeping through my body, a lot more harsh than the first attack. It hurt everywhere it explored my body. Whatever he stabbed Enoxon and me with from my head to my toes was coursing through my veins and blood. I felt weak. 

A flash of lightning appeared, lighting up the area, and I got a clear look at the monster in front of me. Those red eyes flashed a different color - an icy blue. I was stunned. His eyes - suddenly changed from red to blue. What was the meaning of this? I couldn’t say anything, as my breath was damn near exhilarating from my body. Another flash of lightning and I saw something slowly stalking out of the dense tree behind me. 

A hurt smile appeared on my face when I noticed who it was.

You made it. 

The nogitsune locked gazes with me for a moment, that bond strengthening inside me with him.

I’m sorry.

“Aria Kirasa, your death brings me joy. Say hello to your parents for me. Oh wait - you can’t.” The demon let out a bellowing laugh as the little breath I had in me began to fade. 

I was now being suffocated.

The last thing I could see was Kurai’s body light up in flames, brightening the area. I could only imagine how weak he would be.

You can do it, Kurai. I smiled at him before my surroundings went dark.

The rain drenched the beach, and the waves crashing on the sand were more prominent and extensive. The thunder raged above as if the sky had split open with a deafening roar. The sound reverberated through the air, echoing off the nearby hills and filling the area with fear and awe. The enormous black fox stood tall and proud, its eyes gleaming with an otherworldly intelligence. Its fur was like black silk, shimmering with every strike of lightning. His six tails were long and slender, each one moving with a grace and fluidity that was mesmerizing to behold. The fox seemed almost regal in its bearing as if it were the king of all the creatures. His movements were influential and deliberate, each step sending ripples through the ground beneath his feet. As it gazed at the demon in front of him with its piercing amber eyes, the devil was soon alerted to the creature behind him.

“It is done, Kurai,” The demon spoke hauntingly. “You are free of your pact.” With a loud thud, Snow was dropped to the ground. Her body is still and lifeless. 

“Free?” Kurai’s voice growled to the monster a few feet ahead of him. “You’ve done nothing to free me.”

“Ah, but I have,” The dagger that once belonged to Snow was picked up by the demon, who held it before the nogitsune. “You see,” He said as his hands began to shade over and cause a cloud of black smoke to surround the dagger. “You were forced into a pact - the bond established through the family and this dagger. The family is dead, the dagger –” Within a second, the dagger crumbled in his hand, being swallowed by a fog of black. “Destroyed.”

Watching the dagger be destroyed caused Kurai to wince as he felt the bond that held him and Snow together be erased entirely. The weight on his shoulders seemed to have faded away as the blade was destroyed.

“You are free - free to consume to your likes. The Council will know of this and erase their hold on the Underworld. You will be able to roam the earth and bring in the humans for our dinner,” The demon laughed, his head raising to lock gazes with the fox demon. “You are a nogitsune - you feed on humans, and I feed on their souls. We are undefeatable.” 

“This is not what I wanted,” Kurai growled, glaring at the man. He could feel his fur warm with anger, consuming his body as flames began to ignite and turn the rain that fell on him into steam. “I wanted none of this.”

“Are you sure? All those years, you followed me like the lost puppy you were.”

“I would never follow you - you are a demon - an evil spirit.”

The demon disappeared into the shadows, revealing Enoxon standing beside the woman they called ‘Nova’ beside him. 

Nova was as lifeless as Snow was, and Kurai could see this. The shadows that consumed the sorcerer made him even more angry. “You son of a bitch!” His eyes suddenly began to glow with a fiery intensity. Heat radiated from his body, and flames burst forth from its six tails, engulfing everything around it in a fiery inferno. The fox seemed to grow even taller and more menacing as the fire danced around its body, and anyone could immediately feel the sense of fear and awe at the power of this incredible creature. His flames were even hotter than before, engulfing all the rain around him. Cold eyes rested on the sorcerer a few feet away.

“Enoxon, what did you do?!” He demanded from the sorcerer.

Enoxon chose the love of his life. The demon’s whisper sounded. He reappeared beside Enoxon, forcing him to stand up from the woman on the ground and turn to the large black fox, enraged with flames.

“Why not join us, Brother?” The man’s voice rang so clearly in Kurai’s head that it bothered him.

They want to rip the flesh of this demon and destroy him, coursing through Kurai’s body. He could only focus on the duo standing a few feet before him.

“I am not, and will never be, your brother, Mundus.”


I want to say - trying to get this image was the hardest thing to generate!! Through Nijijourney, it wanted to give a lot of unfunctional images that just... Didn't work. So I hope this is acceptable. Please let me know if this is acceptable. ^^; Unfortunately, it seems more wolf like than fox-like. If only I could draw. *cry*

large black fox with multiple tails, amber eyes

3