CH. 12 – Gringotts
364 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unlike Gringotts in Britain where Goblins and their desks lined the way to the head goblin, the Gringotts the Obscurus was in had their booths flushed in the wall. That left plenty of space for decorations like a chandelier in the middle, a platform with an animated marble Ukrainian Ironbelly dragon statue below it, and indoor fabric benches around the platform where unwillingly brought children sat.

"Have you been to Gringotts before?" asked the woman.

The Obscurus's eyes wander while in their head Harry asks, 'What are they?' To the strange midgets in their reception booths. 'Goblins,' answered the Obscurus.

"You just have to go to any of the kiosques to get the money from your vault," explained the woman. "I'm going to that kiosques over there." The woman points to a booth that has a "Currency Conversion" sign on it. "We'll be waiting for you on the benches under the dragon." The woman waved to him, while the woman's teen had already sat on the bench while they talked.

"I'll be waiting," said the woman.

The obscurus stood in front of a goblin booth. He hoped the booth was the right one, as the sign above it was in French. Well, most of the booth signs were in French. The obscurus fought the annoyance. He will need to search for a translation charm or glasses if those exist. Otherwise, he would need to bring a dictionary everywhere. Handy dandy Google Translate—or Google itself even—hadn't even been invented yet, ugh.

"I would like to make a withdrawal," said the obscurus.

The goblin manning the booth was confused at first as there was no one in line. He heard a cough below him and tilted down. The goblin complained in his head, 'A child, a waste of time.' Time was money for them, and a child was the best time-waster of any creature. Except their own, of course.

"Key?" drawled the goblin.

"I… don't have them." said the obscurus.

"Ask your guardians for the key." The child had proven the goblin's thoughts, a time waster indeed.

"They're…" The obscurus said the next bit with reluctance, "…dead."

The goblin frowned. "Sorry to hear that, but you still need a key for a withdrawal."

"Is there some other way? I know my parents owned a Gringotts vault," asked the obscurus.

"There is," drawled the goblin, "an inheritance test."

The obscurus nodded, but the goblin couldn't see the nod as the goblin had sat back in his seat, so he answered with: "Yes."

"Would the inheritance test be a full one or a short one?" asked the goblin.

The obscurus didn't know which one was the best one to get, so he chose the full one, as it would probably be more extensive than the short one. "The full one, please."

The goblin swiveled his chair to the back and shouted in Gobbledegook to his back—Whatever it meant. To the obscurus's surprise, the booth rotated 180 degrees, which meant the goblin was facing away from the obscurus. "Stand there." The goblin pointed to a circle on the floor beside his chair. What the heck. This was not how it was shown in the movies!

The obscurus stand in the circle. He saw the goblin flick a switch and the booth rotated back in place. The goblin jumped down and gestured to follow. There were goblin-sized doors on the right and left of the passageway. Occasionally he saw human-sized doors. The walls of the passageway were made of rough rocks. Only part of the wall where a door lies was polished and a pedestal on its side. The goblin led him to a door with a plaque that read "Empty". The goblin and the obscurus went inside. He saw the plaque roll from "Empty" to "Occupied" and it automatically closed.

The room he was in was bare of any personal items, probably a general-use room. The goblin sat first, then motioned his hands for the obscurus to sit in front of the goblin. Between them was a work desk. The work desk had wooden legs and a drawer on the right with a polished stone slab for its top. The work desk was an L shape. The bottom part of the L had an empty tray—no, not empty. A quill, a pot of ink, a few pieces of paper, a needle, and a ceremonial knife had popped onto the tray. The obscurus sat on the chair.

The goblin took a paper and put it on the desk for the obscurus to see. In the left-top corner of the paper were letters in another language. The obscurus couldn't read them. The goblin waved his hand above it. The text on the corner reformed into the English language that read "Full Inheritance Test".

"Ceremonial knife or needle?" asked the goblin.

"What?" counter asked the obscurus in disbelief.

"The test needs seven drops of blood," drawled the goblin. "Knife or needle?"

How about none of those? The obscurus was Harry, and Harry was the obscurus. Couldn't he just extract the blood with the wisp-fog-appendage things of an obscurus? He hovered his arm above the paper and turned the tip of his index finger into a dense black mist. He condensed a drop of blood inside the mist and let it drop onto the paper.

The goblin was surprised. No one had seen anything like what he had seen before his eyes. No one could turn their finger into mist. Was it some kind of magic even goblin-kind didn't know about? The goblin should write a note of it on his customer's details.

The obscurus continued to drop blood until seven of them had dropped. Does this mean he could turn their bodies inside out? He mused. Not that he would do it. Then, if he practiced enough, could he extract any and all foreign objects, organisms, poisons, etc from their bodies? Except, he doesn't know the details of their body. No intuition, no sudden knowledge that popped into his mind every time they ingested something. He couldn't extract it if he didn't know about it in the first place.

The first to come up on the paper were the names of Harry's parents connected with a line, James Charlus Potter and Lilly Julia Potter née Evans. A beat later, a dashed line shows up beside Harry's father, Sirius Orion Black. After a second, two sets of people's names were above Harry's parents. Both had a line connected to their respective children. On the other hand, Sirius Orion Black only had a vertical line that faded into dots, showing nothing of Sirius's lineage. The process goes on as time passes by. When the names filled the paper, it scrolled up on its own and continued on.

11