Chapter 33 – The Cultivation Ranks
96 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello, dear readers! Here's chapter 33!

I've changed the chapter with the strength system to reflect what I call the Divine Cultivation system. Go check it out, if you feel confused with this chapter. It's very similar to my original novel Immortal cultivation system, by the way.

 

Announcements:

-Don't hesitate to Follow, Review, Favorite, Power stone, share etc. (Depends on the platform you're currently reading on) if you like my different novels. It helps a lot with growing the number of readers.

 

-If you want to see some illustrations of places, characters, etc. from my novels, go check my Instagram: www.instagram.com/calmwandereroriginal/

 

-Planetary Tier patrons: 'Devor'. Thank you very much for your support!

-Free patrons:  'Eduardo Tolentino', 'ya_smerti' and 'Dylanshadow'. You guys are great!

 

-I've set up a Stripe page, so if you feel like making a one time donation of any amount, don't hesitate to swing by. Thank you in advance! https://buy.stripe.com/4gwdTHfLo2fR2Xu6oo

 

-If you prefer having something 'tangible' for your donation, you can visit my patreon page.

My patreon: patreon.com/CalmWanderer  (12+ advanced chapters available)

 

If you wish to read a similar type of novel, I'm writing an original novel in my own created universe: The Knight's Multiverse. The name of the novel is '[The Knight’s Multiverse] - A Knight’s Journey: A Cultivator's Journey in a Superhuman’s Modern World'.

Synopsis:

After Damian Knight sacrificed himself to save a woman and her daughter, he gets reincarnated in a parallel Earth with three Perks by an unknown Entity. Using those Perks to help himself and his loved ones grow stronger, he will have to deal with many threats on his journey, whether the ‘Superheroes’ in the light or the Underworld (Crime Syndicate) in the dark. Fortunately, a few key people will help him on his journey, helping him embark on his cultivation's path in this Universe.

‘Choices have consequences.’

https://www.scribblehub.com/read/791503-the-knights-multiverse--a-knights-journey-a-cultivators-journey-in-a-superhumans-modern-world/chapter/792126/

*******************

The Highlands, New Jersey, USA.
 
Ben's P.O.V.
 
“Good question!” Natalia exclaimed while clapping her hands once, before continuing. “The Ranks are simple. It starts with Mortal transcending which is everything below what we call superhuman. Then, you've got Novice, Elite, Master, Grandmaster, Legendary, and Mythical Ranks. The differences between each Rank are enormous. Or so I've been told.“
 
For a few seconds, the redhead had a pondering look on her face before she declared. “You know what?! Let's use the scanner to see your respective Ranks. That way, it'll be easier to understand.” The group nodded before the woman gestured for Ben to advance in front of the scanner. Once there, she ordered the semi-AI to scan the muscular man.
 
After a brief moment, a holographic screen appeared between the man and the machine with a representation of his body on one side, and on the other side was a lot of information on the state of his body.
 
[-Name: Benjamin Parker
-Bloodline: Human
-Strength Level: Mid First Level Novice Rank
-Energy Affinity: Peak Earth Rank
-Elemental Affinity: Five Elements
-Body state: Light injuries]
 
“I think I understand the gist of it, but could you explain the specifics.” Ben asked the woman. Nodding with a knowing smile, she answered. “Sure. Well, the bloodline is self-explanatory, isn't it? Keep in mind that it doesn't mean that you don't have other bloodlines inside you, but simply that even if you do, their concentration is too low to matter in any way. Also, the device may be too weak to detect them.”
 
The group stayed silent while waiting for the rest of her explanation. Not disappointing their expectation, she continued. “Next is your strength Level. This scanner in particular will be able to detect approximately your progress in your current Level. For example, Ben here is a Mid First Level Novice Rank Warrior, meaning that he's around halfway through the First Level.”
 
Pausing for a second, the redhead added. “Also, you're probably wondering about why there's a First Level, right?” To which Ben replied. “I'm guessing each Rank should be divided into a certain number or Level, correct?” Pointing at the man, she responded playfully. “Bingo! You've won the grand prize of zero bucks!”
 
Rolling his eyes at her antics, the man crossed his arms and cocked his eyebrow before retorting. “Can't you be serious for a second?” The two other women and the kids chuckled at the banter between the two and after a few moments, they all calmed down and the female agent resumed her explanation.
 
“Joke aside, each Rank is divided into nine Levels with each three Levels having a name. For example, Level 1 to 3 is called Low Level. 4 to 6 is called Mid-Level, and 7 to 9 is called High Level. There's also a 'special' Level, which is when you reach the Peak of the Ninth Level and it's called Peak Level.”
 
Scratching his bearded chin in thought, the man replied. “That sounds complicated.” Shrugging her shoulders, the woman replied. “I'm not the one who created the cultivation system. Also, there are reasons for all of those different names and it comes down to two things: Power and Lifespan. You can check on the Holo-Computers if you want more info.” She finished with a vague gesture toward the Office Room.
 
Nodding his head, he claimed. “I will.” After which May, who was supremely curious about the whole system asked. “Nat, you talked about Energy affinities. But there it says: 'Peak Earth Level'. What does that mean?” Nodding her head at the raven-haired woman, she replied.
 
“It's about potential. Mortal Level corresponds to Novice and Elite Rank, Earth-Level to Master and Grandmaster, Heaven-Level to Legendary and Mythical, and...” She hesitated for a second before adding. “There seems to be a Divine Level affinity which would give you a good chance to transcend and become a God. I'm not very clear on the specific, so I can't really tell you much more.”
 
Pausing for a second, she went back to what she said earlier. “Right! When I say the affinity corresponds to two Ranks, that means the first Rank can be reached as long as one trains sufficiently, while the second Rank can only be reached with both training and sufficient opportunities. But it may be hard.”
 
Peter, the ever-curious boy, asked. “What about if we want to reach beyond our affinities level?” The woman visibly hesitated before declaring. “That... That seems to be close to impossible. Some items can help you do that, but from what I read in the Holo-Computer, you can't find those on Mid-Sized World, like ours.” Scrunching his eyebrows, the boy muttered in an almost imperceptible voice. “I hope I've got strong affinities then...”
 
The adults noticed Peter's anxiety but since none of them were knowledgeable about cultivation in general, they chose to stay silent. However, Gayle, the ever-bundle of joy and cuteness, patted his arm and said gently in her adorably serious voice. “Don't worry, big brother! I'm sure you will be fine!” That startled the young teenager and even intrigued Ben.
 
'Since when did she call him big brother?' He thought before his train of thought was broken by the voice of the redhead who resumed her explanation. “The two last lines are pretty easy to understand. Your Elemental affinities are the Five Elements which can be either strong or weak. Having more Elements would give you five times more magic power than someone with only one affinity, but the downside would be that you'd need five times longer to cultivate at the same Level.”
 
Shaking his head, the man pondered for a moment. 'With my physiology Perk, that may not hinder me too much. I'll need to explore that possibility...' Before answering out loud. “We'll see how it goes...” Nodding at his words, she gestured toward May to take Ben's place. “Let's check your Strength, May.”
 
Once the raven-haired woman stood in front of the scanner, a brief moment elapsed before a similar holographic projection appeared in front of her.
 
[-Name: Maybelle 'Graham' Parker
-Bloodline: Human
-Strength Level: Peak Fifth Level Mortal Transcending Rank
-Energy Affinity: Unknown
-Elemental Affinity: Unknown
-Body state: Healthy]
 
Looking at the result made the petite woman frown slightly in confusion. “Why does it say unknown on my affinities? Does that mean there is some kind of problem with my body?” The concern in her tone was clear to everyone around and, as she was someone he cared about deeply, Ben could not help but share the same worry.
 
Fortunately, all their concerns were alleviated as the redhead agent responded with a small shake of her head coupled with a knowing smile. “Don't worry, it's normal. This scanner simply can't detect the affinities of anyone below the Novice Rank. From what the specialists told us, it has to do with the fact that the higher your cultivation becomes the more apparent your affinities become.”
 
Crossing her arms, she tapped her chin as she seemed to ponder about something for a brief moment. “I don't really get why it is so, but...” She shrugged her shoulders with a hesitant expression on her face before continuing.
 
“Anyway, it doesn't really matter since the training method is the same for everyone below the Novice Rank. So, it doesn't matter if you know your specific affinities beforehand or not.” The group nodded at her statement before Nat gestured for Madeline to take May's position. Once the other female redhead stood in front of the machine, her data appeared in front of her body.
 
[-Name: Madeline Watson
-Bloodline: Human
-Strength Level: Peak Second Level Mortal Transcending Rank
-Path Affinity: Unknown
-Elemental Affinity: Unknown
-Body state: Healthy]
 
Cocking her eyebrow, the concerned woman muttered. “Second level, uh? I need to work hard...” Looking at the result, May had a proud look on her face, which made Ben chuckle, before he whispered in her ears in an amused tone. “Love, you're cheating, so I don't get why you look so proud...” His words made her freeze for a second before she turned toward him and whispered back in the same tone.
 
“I had to 'work out' a lot to get to that level, honey. So, I SHOULD be proud of it!” Her reply made him speechless and he decided to avoid answering. 'I don't know why, but since we Soul Bonded, she's becoming more and more shameless... Not that it bothers me that much though...' He thought, amused.
 
The two then fell silent as the three kids went one after the other in front of the scanner but the only thing different between the information displayed was their name since all of them were at the 'Unranked' Level of strength. When he looked at the three, Ben felt satisfied that the same expression of determination appeared on their young face. Now, it all depended on if they put in the work.
 
Shaking his head, the raven-haired man asked. “Is there anything else you're supposed to show us?” She shook her head and replied. “We can go upstairs with the others.” After the words left her mouth, she led them back upstairs, where the other four were drinking coffee in the living room.
 
Noticing the group coming back, Clint explained that the house was not only fully furnished but the fridge and pantry were also fully stocked up before he got everyone something to drink with Ben's help. Sitting on the couch, the group chatted for the whole afternoon until evening came and May proposed for all of them to eat together.
 
In the meantime, Natalia received a message from Fury who agreed with their arrangement about the new 'recruits' and an hour later, the three people had their own designated house a mile or two away from the beach house. After the meal, Clint declared. “Kate and I will go pick up her mother.” “I'll go with you.” Andrew exclaimed, drawing a small chuckle from the group.
 
“Sure.” Barton replied. “Before you guys go, I need to tell the three of you something.” Ben said, which made Cross, Marco and Taylor(Kate) perk up. “Since we'll be a team from now on, we'll need to be training together. So, I'm expecting all of you to come here at 6 a.m. sharp. We'll eat breakfast together before starting the training.” Pausing for a second as something came to his mind, he turned toward the two SHIELD agents and asked.
 
“Do they also have the same facilities that we've got here?” The two shook their heads before Clint specified. “I've told you that it's a safe house prepared for SHIELD's 'higher-ups'. Theirs has got some protection, but it's far from yours. They also don't have the training facility below nor the nice office room with all the High-Level training techniques.”
 
He halted his explanation for a brief moment before adding. “There are a few Holo-Computers there, but the level of information is a lot lower and only comprises Low-end information and training techniques. After all, their access level is too low for them to 'legally' access everything.”
 
Cocking his eyebrow, Ben asked, with some curiosity. “What about me and my family, then?” Chuckling slightly, Barton responded. “Your case is different.” Lifting his index, he said. “For one, you're an Avenger, which gives you top priority for pretty much any training-related info. The reason being that they all came from Thor, and he gave it specifically to us.” Lifting his middle finger, he added. “The second reason is that Fury made you a Level 7 agent today.”
 
“Wasn't I supposed to be a Level 6?” Nodding his head, the other man replied. “You were, but after the stunt Rumlow pulled today and the fact that your actions during the Chitauri attack saved a bunch of people, he was able to easily upgrade your access level.” Halting for a brief moment to let his words sink in, the man then continued.
 
“Although 'technically', your family isn't supposed to access those training techniques, it's tolerated as long as you don't flaunt it everywhere. Think of it as one of the perks of being a major asset for SHIELD.” Scratching his chin absentmindedly, Ben retorted. “By the same token, I could let the three recruits use those techniques, right?”
 
The three's eyes seemed to shine with envy and gratitude at his words. From their reactions, he could guess that Clint should have explained to them the same thing as Nat did to them earlier. “It's up to you. Like I said before, don't flaunt it and you'll be fine.” Nodding his head, Ben then declared decisively. “It's decided then. The three of you will use the best techniques. There's no need to waste your time and energy on the subpar ones.”
 
The three looked delighted, with Cross being the most discreet about it while Marco was the most vocal. Their reactions brought a smile to the other adults' faces before Ben ordered. “No need for thanks. As long as you work hard in your training and don't let the team down, then I'll consider myself having profited greatly.”
 
The three all declared that they would practice hard before Clint and Natalia took them away, leaving the Parkers alone in their new home. “Why don't we go to sleep? We can check the training techniques tomorrow when everyone's fully rested.” Everyone agreed before they all left for their respective rooms.
2