Chapter One: Clichés
170 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clichés” it refers to a saying or expression that has been so overused that it’s become boring and unoriginal. In storytelling, it’s used to describe a plot that has become dull and predictable over time.

You’ve probably heard of, and seen many examples of these before…Tsunderes, Yanderes, Danderes, childhood friends, idols, the famous love triangles, love squares, or even love quintuplets! Man, what is up with people sometimes…anyways if you’ve read enough stories you know what they are and how the plot of their stories usually go. 

But if we are talking about the most popular trope, then we can’t forget about harems. To a guy it sounds like a dream come true at first. A group of girls falling head over heels for you? All fighting desperately for your love and attention? It’s certainly something that many would be envious of…but don’t let it deceive you! It’s all a lie.

Whoever spread the idea that a bunch of girls all fawning over you, would be a leisurely fun time clearly had no idea what the hell they were talking about. In reality it’s exhausting, draining, annoying, and stressful. Not to mention your cheeks hurt like hell after being slapped a million times. If I were to describe it in one word…I’d be Hell and I would not recommend it at all.

And yet, despite saying all of that…I find myself in that exact situation.

It’s the last day of the school year, so everyone should’ve been home by now. Maybe eating dinner with their families, planning their summer vacation over the phone with their friends, or just relaxing and listening to music. 

As for me? Well this is probably the last place I expected to find myself at. Yet here I am, confronted by three troublesome girls; a violent childhood friend, a stalker librarian girl and the condescending student council president.

“Who will you choose?” the three exclaimed at me.

Kei crossed her arms and with her typical nasty frown, looked at me with her piercing and forceful eyes, as if saying, “Well isn’t the answer obvious?!”

Koizumi-san slightly hunched over, kept fidgeting her hands, averting her gaze ever so often only to give off those damn puppy eyes that always looked like they could cry at any moment, pleading, silently asking, “You will pick me right? You wouldn’t abandon me right?”

And Nishida-san… tall and proud as always. Her arms neatly tucked behind her, with the usual confident smile that everyone deemed unreadable, and those eyes that never knew hesitance or doubt. As if she had it all figured out, as if she already knew what my answer was going to be.

“Say something Naoki!”

“Kurogawa-kun!”

“Kurogawa-san.”

I find myself here, atop the school’s rooftop while the sun begins to set and its hazy orange glow casts a warm hue on my face. Before me stand three girls, and each one a source of endless trouble. 

I’m sure many would kill to be in my place right now, but if you knew the chaos and torment these girls have brought into my life then just maybe, you would think twice.

Anyways, after a long silence I finally let out a heavy and resigned breath of air before I finally answered, “I…”

The three slightly flinched and a drop of sweat formed on their foreheads. 

What would I say to them? Who would I reject? Who would I choose? Those were the questions obviously written all over their faces.

But despite their nervousness the three of them never once took their eyes off me and kept staring with a firm and resolute look in their eyes.

I had to hand it out to them, it was a valiant effort on their part. So it was only fair I gave a response to these girls who had taken the time and the courage to corner me like this.

“I…need a moment, please… just give me a second to clear my head and organize my thoughts. Then I’ll give you all a clear answer.” I finally said in a calm voice.

The girls all looked slightly irritated at my anticlimactic response, but after they glanced at one another, they each gave a subtle nod in agreement.

“You have 5 minutes,” said one of the girls.

Not that those 5 minutes mattered anyways. My answer was already chosen from the very beginning.

“Thanks”

I turned around and walked back to the stairs that brought me here in the first place. I could feel their intense gazes burning a hole through my back as they watched me but I didn’t pay it no mind anymore. I entered the building and finally, I let go of the door. As it slowly creaked and closed behind me, the last thing I saw before it shut completely was the silhouette of those three standing there.

I never came back, and soon after I transferred out.

3