Chapter 29: Mizuki fights(?) in the darkness Part 1
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Going back in time. Back to the inn room, where the twin priestesses, the princess, and her knight stood transfixed as the fight between two Holy Fire Arts users unfolded before their eyes.

 

"?" Suddenly, Mizuki frowned slightly, having felt presences in the dark dimension, unknown to the others. This dimension was the realm that Mizuki made use of to travel between different locations instantaneously. She sensed a group of four shadowy figures lurking in the shadows, their energy tinged with malevolence.

 

Mizuki might have lost most of their powers after dying at the hands of their future selves, but as a creature with the power of darkness, she could still sense when something lurked in the other dimension.

 

On the other hand, Miyabi wasn't as attuned to the dark dimension as her sister, since she used the darkness more for bodily enhancements and alteration than manipulating the darkness itself. So she remained unaware of the hidden presences that Mizuki had detected.

 

The presence doesn't seem to be aiming for her twin sister, Mizuki concluded, but rather for Princess Ruri in particular. If so, she couldn't care less about the impending danger. As long as they didn't threaten her sister, Mizuki was content to let them do as they pleased.

 

However, the princess was among their followers. Mizuki doesn't know what plan Miyabi had in mind for the princess—or if she ever had a plan in the first place—so she couldn't let harm come to her. Though reluctant, Mizuki decided to deal with the presence herself.

 

Dealing with the individuals in the other dimension, where they lurk, was as easy as breathing for Mizuki. She just had to say a word, and the presence would be dealt with.

 

'Kill them.' She commanded the dog-like creatures with hideous and ferocious appearances residing in this other dimension. The creatures immediately obeyed, enlarging their fangs and lunging towards the presences with a menacing growl. 

 

Mizuki watched in the physical realm as the creatures tore through the air, their claws slashing through the darkness. Within moments, only the corpses remained of the presence that had once lurked.

 

In the other dimension, no one will ever know what transpired. The dog-like creatures, having fulfilled their purpose, retreated back into the shadows, leaving no trace of their existence. The silence that followed was a stark contrast to the chaos that had just unfolded, as if the other dimension had resumed its peaceful slumber once again. 

 

"Did something happen?" Miyabi asked. There were no telltale signs of a struggle or disturbance in the room, but as a battle junkie, sometimes her gut feeling was enough to sense when something had occurred. Mizuki simply shook her head, her expression calm and collected.

 

Once again, Mizuki returned to watching the fight between Aidy and Harthela against Gareth, unaware that those who she literally just fed to the dogs were a recon squad from the infamous Tindalos unit.

 

***

 

In the Principality of Thawhanon, the Tindalos unit has been named thus due to their ability to operate covertly and leave no trace of their actions. Reconnaissance and intelligence gathering are their public specialties. 

 

But rumors suggest that they are also skilled in sabotage and assassination. There were whispers among the people that the Tindalos unit had carried out several high-profile assassinations, leaving no evidence behind. Some even claimed that they possessed supernatural abilities, allowing them to disappear without a trace.

 

In reality, this is due to the one-of-a-kind talent required to join the Tindalos unit. They must have the aptitude to use the Space element and cast Holy Space Arts or Cursed Space Arts to access the other dimension and travel through it undetected.

 

This extraordinary skill allows the Tindalos unit to carry out their missions with the utmost precision and secrecy, making them an invaluable asset to the Principality's council. Hence the name "Tindalos," derived from the mythical creature known for its ability to move through dimensions undetected.

 

But on this day, the Tindalos unit faced an unfathomable challenge.

 

They were tasked with assassinating the third princess of the Leasaitolia Kingdom, Rurisanca. Among the royalty of Leasaitolia, Rurisanca was known for her exceptional intelligence and cunning. 

 

The members of the Tindalos unit don't care about the motives behind their mission. Their loyalty lied solely with the council, and they were determined to carry out their orders without question. 

 

An assassination attempt on Rurisanca had already been made once before, but it had failed. Those mercenaries from the Mercenary City of Rathni, the capital of the United Nations of Rathni, had been hired to carry out the failed attempt. However, the council was determined to eliminate any threat to their power and would stop at nothing to achieve their goal. 

 

And so the Tindalos unit was tasked with the second assassination attempt on Rurisanca. However...

 

"What do you mean we lost communications with the recon squad!?" First Lieutenant Emily demanded, her voice filled with frustration.

 

Everything was going smoothly. They had planned every detail meticulously, ensuring that there would be no room for error. Team B, led by Second Lieutenant Gareth, was tasked with diverting the attention of Rurisanca's knights, while Team A, led by First Lieutenant Emily, was responsible for carrying out the actual assassination attempt.

 

The diversion was a success, even though there were unexpected surprises, such as the inclusion of a few unknown individuals, namely the twin priestesses, the dogkin maid, and the armored elf. 

 

But despite these unforeseen circumstances, the Second Lieutenant had taken it upon himself to distract and engage the dogkin and elf, while the rest of Team B managed to adapt quickly and maintain their objective of distracting the knights.

 

As the chaos ensued, Team A, composed of users of Holy Space Arts and Cursed Space Arts, sprang into action and dove into the other dimension to proceed with their mission. And this is where everything took a turn for the worse. 

 

In the other dimension, a squad doing recon for Team A suddenly vanished without a trace. They were sent to investigate security in the other dimension and keep an eye on their target, but their disappearance raised concerns among the remaining members of Team A.

 

Every member of the Tindalos unit knew the perils of entering the other dimension. They had heard stories of people getting lost forever or being trapped in a never-ending loop of time. However, among the perils of the other dimension, the Void Hunters posed the greatest threat of all. 

 

They were dog-shaped creatures with a goosebump-inducing appearance, their bodies made of shadowy tendrils that seemed to shift and writhe with every movement. Their eyes glowed with an eerie, otherworldly light, and their sharp fangs dripped with a dark substance that seemed to devour anything it touched.

 

Reports had it that the Void Hunters were relentless hunters, capable of tracking their prey across dimensions. They possessed an uncanny ability to sense even the faintest traces of interdimensional shift, making them formidable adversaries for anyone venturing into the unknown realm.

 

But even so, the Void Hunters shouldn't be a threat with the aether items that the unit has equipped to evade detection, counteract their tracking abilities, and protect them from dangers that occur within this dimension. They had made use of the dimension for their missions countless times already, making use of it to move undetected in the physical realm and carry out their objectives with precision and stealth.

 

If that's the case... Then why did the recon squad mysteriously disappear without a trace? was the thought that kept nagging at the back of their minds. Despite all the precautions and safeguards, something must have gone terribly wrong for an entire squad to vanish without leaving any evidence behind.

 

Should they leave and abandon their mission? Or should they continue their mission, regardless of the risks involved? 

 

Right now, as they were in this separate dimension, communicating with the other members in the physical world was downright impossible. That's why it weighed heavily on First Lieutenant Emily's mind as she contemplated the options before her. 

 

The decision to leave or continue their mission was not one to be taken lightly. The disappearance of an entire squad was unprecedented and raised concerns about the safety and success of their mission.

 

For a soldier of the Principality, loyalty and duty were paramount. How could they eradicate those filthy demihumans and fulfill their duty if they abandoned their mission? However, the uncertainty surrounding the squad's disappearance made it difficult for First Lieutenant Emily to ignore the nagging feeling of unease and doubt. 

 

Keeping her real emotions in check, she assumed a stoic and composed demeanor in front of her subordinates. She knew that displaying any signs of doubt or fear would only undermine their confidence and trust in her leadership. 

 

"We'll proceed with the mission as planned," she declared firmly, her voice unwavering. "We have a mission to accomplish, and we cannot let uncertainty deter us. Let's go!" With her unwavering determination, First Lieutenant Emily led her team forward, pushing aside her own unease for the sake of their success.

 

With uncertainty in their hearts, they couldn't help but wonder if they were walking into a trap and, if so, what awaited them on the other side.

 

 

 

0