Chapter 9 | Name
45 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He didn't approach her. She said nothing.

Dead silence. Gob could even hear droplets of water dripping down deeper in the cave. He was hidden from her point of view. She seemed completely stunned. Gob started to debate what to say next. Luckily she broke the silence first.

"Thank you for your help. I suppose you are the one to nurse me, are you not? I... I will reward you for your kindness."

She waited for a response, yet none came back. Did she imagined someone to speak? There was no movement in the cave.

Meanwhile Gob was panicked. Too many words he didn't know. At least he knew the context when he was forced to negotiate with humans, but now? Did she only thanked him? What was the question about? She stuttered in her last sentence. Did she realized who he was?

"Are they really all dead? My convoy? Did no other survived the attack?"

She said it with little hope. She must still be in a state of shock after the attack...

"There is none else. Only you not dead."

Gob rushed his response and butchered the sentence. He was too happy to understand most of her questions to compose it correctly.

Human girl shivered, and this time looked in the right direction. He could almost feel their eyes meet. She was suddenly worried. She might scream. Gob was worried, but there was a sure remedy to his predicament.

"Do as I say. Cover your mouth."

He was stunned to find out that his surefire plan wasn't instantly sprung into action. The girl was surprised to hear such words. She slowly raised her hand to her mouth as soon as she did he walked closer.

Despite hand covering her mouth and a bad premonition in her hearth the girl made a simple shout and backed away hitting her head on the cave wall.

"Ouch,"

She instinctively touched herself in the place that hurt her. Losing sight of the goblin for a moment. She panicked and focused on him once more. It didn't move. It? By the voice alone she was sure it was male. Oh gods. Many unnecessary thoughts were forced into her frail mind.

Among the panic she looked around in order to determine her escape route. Both rock tables came into her view and she suddenly found a single point of serenity that somewhat calmed her mind. She kept pondering on it until she was forced to talk to the monster.

"You are a goblin?"

He looked at her weird. Did he not understand?

"You are a human?"

The goblin squatted and slightly turned his head.

Oh he missed the point.

"So.. Did you save me?"

He looked like he didn't quite understood so she pointed at the surrounding items.

"Me save.. help??"

"I saved you."

She finished for him and shivered as the goblin seemed displeased. Was he annoyed that she helped him with the sentence?

"Me cover wound. Me find food. Me take cloth."

Yep. He was annoyed. Maybe his vocabulary was limited to whatever words he had heard. The girl looked back at the words he said earlier. Every time when he spoke confident he would either speak of death or in simple soldier tongue. He surely overheard their commands when they fought.

She gulped. Her throat was now in a much better shape. How many people did he kill? Change the subject. Keep it safe.

"What is your name?"

The goblin stood up with fury in his eyes. Did she rub him the wrong way?

"Low.. Goblins have no ... name."

He slowly spoke with a painful expression. She held her breath. In the sudden silence she could hear water dripping somewhere in the cave. The goblin wasn't too tall. She probably was twice his size. He was covered in robes. She could only see him barely. Green hands clenched into fists. Small bald head. Small nose. Sharp pointy ears. Not as long as the ones she saw in the picture books as a child.

His eyes were yellow. They were well visible in the dark. Do goblins see better in the dark? She didn't know. She tried to continue the conversation despite the goblin looking like he had eaten something bad.

"You need a name.. How should I call you?"

"Oliver is name?"

She felt like someone who was recently punched in the stomach. Repeatedly. With a nail. She tried to smile, but she only managed a disgusting smirk.

"Yes. Oliver is a name."

"My name is Hestia."

She pointed at herself and waited for goblins response.

"I'm Gob."

0