Chapter 11 | Teacher
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hestia was slowly but surely making her way towards the cave exit. Gob wasn't careless. He didn't leave her anything she could possibly use as a weapon. She almost tripped down. Her left leg was in a bad state. Gob didn't even left any sticks long enough that she could use as a cane. She found herself in an unbalanced position leaning on the cave wall.

It wasn't a hopeless escape. It was merely foolish. Still.

Hestia was almost sure Gob would not harm her even if he saw her escaping right now. She reached the entrance on her wobbly legs. Certain dizziness made a surprising comeback to her unprepared mind. She stopped. As she was now, she couldn't even reach the entrance.

There wasn't even any light in sight. Slowly she turned back and returned to her makeshift bed. She was a prisoner of a monster. Despite him looking like a needy child he was a monster. She mustn't forget.

As she was walking deeper into the cave Gob was studying her moves. What should he do? If she gets out someone from the tribe might spot her. What if the humans were to come back and slay her? Gob couldn't protect her. He liked the stories though. Even the fake ones.

He liked how she talked. It seemed like she was comfortable while storytelling. She must have done it earlier. Many words were new. He could improve fast just because he could ask her anything. He looked at the book in his hand. Colorful pages came into his mind.

Did adult human read those? He didn't think that was a case. Even in the tribe there were heralds and elders. They would speak in goblin gibberish while making signs and shadows with their hands. When they talked to the young, they were patronizing.

And so was Hestia.

How should he keep her here? Was it worth learning those words?

He needed some other knowledge. Something goblins couldn't know. Something that made him feel furious as he couldn't know himself. She made him admit he was a low gob. This human. Happiness of others? Why?

She was stuck here, yet told a story about a glorious return of the hero that saved his lover? Was she dumb enough to think he would let her go?

When he asked about this lover word, she said it was referring to someone important for the other person, but it made no sense. What was the motivation? She right now was important to Gob, but the moment she would truly leave the cave she wouldn't be any different from other humans. She was no lover. Just his dumb luck.

Her wound was a stroke of luck though. Gob didn't need to hurt her. He saw hurt humans many times. They never talked much.

With his book and a basket full of fish he finally went deeper inside. He wasn't sure when he entered earlier but now he could tell that the cave was weird. It felt imposing and somewhat scary when he was about to enter. Something was making him anxious, yet the moment he broke in this mysterious feeling was lifted and he couldn't tell what was wrong.

He made it further into the cave and finally caught up to Hestia. She was near the prepared encampment. He didn't plan to startle her. She was shocked to see him pop up from the dark. The embers of the campfire were almost extinguished. Gob left the basket on the floor and started to take care of the fish.

The Fishcatcher was fast, yet not fast enough. Catching all those fish surely was hard.

Gob took out the dagger sat down and started to remove scales and other unnecessary parts. He wasn't as good as his... He wasn't as good as the Old goblin. He was only proficient.

Gob paid no mind to Hestia. After the initial shock she quietly sat down. Did the goblin noticed her short-lived departure? Did he came here with the dagger to intimidate her? She could tell that he was smart. How smart exactly can this Gob be?

Was she here because he wanted her to tell him new words? Was she in danger? Dumb question, she was. As she wondered about her current situation Gob would methodically swipe his dagger. Left and right. Left and right.

The blade was barely visible in the dark. After a while she couldn't see him properly. The campfire was almost extinguished, yet Gob wasn't paying it no mind. Goblins could see decently in the dark.

Left and right. Swipe and a sound of damaged flesh. As the shadows rose Gob's eyes were more and more prominent. Hestia could hardly keep her breathing in check. Left and right. Swipe. Sound. Those cold eyes looking down on something.

Left right.

Left.

right.

swipe...

"Aaah!!!"

When the meaty sound came back Hestia screamed and pointed her hand to the extinguished embers. With a crackling sound of air turning itself into ether, a small bolt of magic reached the leftover embers. As the fire rose hand in hand with a blinding light, the cave was illuminated once more.

Hestia finally caught her breath as the shadows of screams went away. What remained was a scenery of a cave littered with junk, a campfire, some rocks and a Goblin with an excited expression, pointing his dagger at her head.

As Hestia realized what she had just done a scent of fish entered her nostrils. She looked at her jailer and heard exactly what she expected:

"Teach."

1