Chapter 20 | Questions
33 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gob didn’t budge an inch. The cage was open so what? Did this fool expected him to go out and get killed? Fritz was still smiling. There was some commotion in the chief's tent. Piper begun complaining loudly.

“Boss! Fritz is unreasonable like always..”

“Just don’t damage the merchandise! Otherwise I don’t care.”

“But to let him out!”

“No harm to the goblin. If he runs, you have to catch him without injuries, both to you and him.”

“But Boss!”

Piper continued to resist, yet Curan didn’t respond anymore. Gob was about to ignore them altogether, but than the fairy spoke in her soft squeaky voice.

“It was the female that made me lose the home. The female had the knife. Don’t they know?”

Sudden emotion made Gob get up. It was an impulse. He left the cage in an instant.

“It's all right Piper he doesn’t want to leave. The knife isn’t as important as I thought.. Oh!”

Fritz was turned back to the cage and so he got startled by the leaving goblin. Piper shouted something incomprehensible. Only Peter, silently followed Gob’s movement with his crossbow.

 
Gob was slowly moving forward to the dagger that started it all. This damned hunter's knife. He stood next to the tree. Focused on the knife.
 

Why did she run after him?

 

Fritz was taller than the goblin, and so the knife was a bit out of his reach.

 

Why she went after this monster of a man?

 

Gob reached for the knife with his right arm. Despite Peter’s efforts it was still in a bad shape. His shaking hand almost reached the dagger.

Why?

He stopped before grabbing the hilt. What was he doing? Why didn’t he run? He stood in place for sometime. Then he clenched his fist in anger. It was still shaking. He then remembered that not so long ago he was standing in a similar pose.

Everyone was looking at him. The fairy was especially focused on him, flying around his arm.

He was weak. After all big claims. he truly was. Not like a goblin. Not like a hob. He was weak inside. Trembling. Remembering the face of this monster. Destined to walk while something he feared was breathing right behind him. Was it his kin, the humans or his very own self-doubt, buried under all the equipment, skills and knowledge he so wanted to posses.

 

Fishcatcher.

 

He retracted his hand, never to touch this knife again. He didn't even attempt to pull it out. He looked back at Fritz. The man was still standing next to the cage. Waiting with curiosity. Gob scanned his surroundings and with his head lowered he finally made up his mind.

As Gob slowly walked back Fritz's enjoyment reached its peak.

“Too far for your broken arm? Why not ask nicely? I might...Ughfff!”

Gob waited for him to lower his guard and the moment he was passing next to him he planted his knee into man’s crotch. Squirming the human lowered to his knees. What did it mean to be strong? A mere goblin could beat a human, but it didn't make Gob stronger in any way. The knight was strong. Not like the hunter he saw when he was young. The knight was strong...

Gob ignored the shouts of the cook and looked straight at Peter. This strange silent man lowered his crossbow. He didn’t seem too surprised when Gob went back inside his cage. Meanwhile Fritz was getting furious. With tears in his eyes he approached the cage.

He violently pulled the cage door, wanting to drag the goblin outside, but the cage stood firm. He looked at the talking goblin. He was currently playing with something in his hands. After a few seconds the keychain landed outside the cage, right next to his feet. One key in particular was missing from the ring. Fritz was shocked.

Piper was coming, giant halberd in his hands, but Fritz stopped him in his tracks. He regained his composure and said.

“Do not harm the merchandise.”

After a short pause he added.

“Peter… If he leaves this fucking cage it’s on you.”

Peter was putting his crossbow away. As he heard the words, he suddenly smirked.

"Did he just... smiled?!"

 

Bandits looked at each other with shock. It was the first time either of them saw Peter smile.

The only one that didn’t care about the solemn man's development was Gob. He was trying to piece together every little feeling that he experienced since his dumb luck decided to enter the cave. He was trying to find the words to express all that and more.

 

Meanwhile a certain female head begun to roll once more.

“You should really go to my home. You have the key! You need to move and help me!”

Gob didn’t move. He knew many words now. He was even learning from the bandits as they spoke around themselves.

Why did she came after me?

His expression was stiff, but his mind was racing. There were so many words he already knew.

 

 

And not a one to express how he felt.

0