Chapter 1: After A Long Winter The Sun Shines Brightest. Can You Move? It’s In My Eyes
113 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: After A Long Winter The Sun Shines Brightest. Can You Move? It's In My Eyes

Wind sped across the barren continent; down from the mountains, it came washing over the great flat expanse until it met the Niao colony huddled in the great circle, finally preparing to come out of the great winter. For Niao Fanqi, it was an especially long winter. As hard as he had tried, he never found a shiny enough pebble to catch the eye of an onyx beauty, and this had left him without an egg to care for. 

It was not the worst thing that could happen, no leopard seal had eaten him, and he was not alone. The Niao colony had far more males than females, and there were always going to be many leftover males. IIt would be unexpected for Fanqi to find a mate in his first breeding session. Not with the older, larger, and more experienced males finding the best rocks and having long friendships to help fight off potential rivals. 

The female's journey was just more dangerous, and many more of them were eaten. This was of great concern to the colony's elders, but there was nothing they could do but prompt the growth of the colony. Their contact with other colonies was little, and what did occur was hostile enough that their weaknesses were to be not shown. So it was unknown if they alone faced such a plight or if the Niao colony was just one of many hovering on the edge of extinction. 

The many leftover males still huddled with the rest of the flock, but seeing as they had no egg balanced on their toes, they were naturally given less priority. This meant more time on the edges, braced against the bitter chill. Many had fallen to the bone-biting wind. Not Fanqi. Fanqi had fought with wiles and trickery, but he achieved just enough time on the inside that he had made it through. 

For his trouble staying alive, he only received side looks and muttered complaints. No one dared talk openly, though. At least not yet. To speak was to waste precious warmth that could not be squandered. Besides, it was pointless anyways, as their squeaks would be snatched by the wind long before anyone heard them.

With the latest wind crashing into the great huddle being slightly warmer, the celebrations were joyful. Soon their mates would return, and they would be free to go and break their fast. Technically nothing was holding Fanqi here, but making the march to the feeding grounds alone was dangerous. Especially if an early spring storm were to catch him out on the ice.

"You coward Fanqi." A stern voice huffed. Fanqi whirled away from his celebration with the other leftover males to face his challenger. He expected it to be one of the males he had displaced in his long struggle for warmth. As his eyes met the challenger, they widened. This was not just any male. The left flipper had a colored band on it. A bright and shiny red one. Even as he bowed in apology, his heart burned with greed and jealousy. 

"This one humbley apologizes for any offense that he may have incurred, honored elder." Fanqi did not know the name of the red-banded penguin, so he settled for a title of respect. It was hard to tell others apart on sight; only vocal patterns made the others distinguishable, and he was certain he had never heard such a warrior speak before. It was bad that he had caught the attention of a red-banded member of the colony. But not as bad if it had been yellow or green. Only a blue would have been better, but even then, Fanqi did not want to fight a challenge against any full member of the colony. 

Even if he had survived the winds, the winter had been harsh on him, and any number of rivals would be able to thoroughly trounce him in a duel. And to go against a banded individual was unthinkable. That would get him ostracized for sure, which meant certain death. The red-banded looked at Fanqi's hunched form consideringly. Fanqi didn't dare to meet his eyes, hoping that his elder would be in a forgiving mood and just move on.

"You are lucky that Shaigou has more important business to attend to." A slap of a flipper cuffed the side of Fanqi's head. "If you don't get your act together we will have to consider excluding you from chick watching this spring."

Oh no. That would be horrible. He had already failed to find a mate this year. His only chance to learn how to parent was when the unmated watched over groups when they were larger as their parents both started to need to hunt. If he didn't get the practice, his chances of finding a mate next year were even less.

Quickly he bowed again; Shaigou was already waddling away. A small squeaking came from his pouch where his freshly hatched chick was from. If his mate didn't return soon, it would be impossible for him to raise it on his own. Fanqi still wasn't precisely sure what he had done to receive such admonishment, but it was probably some trick in the huddle deep in the winter. He was surprised that Shaigou was able to recognize him and seek him out later.

It was just as likely that Shaigou was just worried about his mate returning and was lashing out. Fanqi didn't really blame him, as long as his position of chick-watching was secure this spring. That could have been much worse. Somehow the bands allowed their wielders to become much more powerful through some hidden art that they didn't share with the uninitiated. They would swim faster and slide further. Fanqi was fairly certain it had something to do with gathering energy from the bits and pieces of a conversation he had been able to overhear.

The leftover males waited with the rest of the males for the first females to return. Sure, with the weather warming, they could leave early, and no one would stop them, but that was risky. They were all young and had only made the long trek to the sea once. Even members one year their senior had made the trip many times. Also, there was safety in numbers; if a storm caught them in the trek, they could all form a small huddle and have a chance to survive.

Pengyou waddled up to Fanqi and pressed against him. "What did you do to upset one of the red bands?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe he is just stressed." Fanqi said thoughtfully; Pengyou snuggled closer, and he didn't rebuke his friend. As one of the less shameless colony members, Pengyou had done his duty as an unmated male and stayed on the outside more. It was a miracle he had survived. His trial had not been kind to him. He was much smaller than Shaigou, and if the females didn't return soon, he would have to leave on his own or risk starvation. 

"Maybe, I think we all are." Pengyou stated. Never once had he tried to get others to promise to come with him. Truly he was too honorable. It was going to get him killed soon if he kept it up. "Do you think the tall ones are going to be back this year?"

"I don't see why not." Fanqi said, a note of excitement entering his voice for the first time. "They have been here every year for as long as even Laoren can remember."

"Do you think you will get a tag?" He twittered nervously. "I'm not sure I will."

A newcomer joined their huddle, pressing in close. "I'm going to get a red tag! I'm going to get strong this year, just like my da!"

Naoren was a bit of a braggart, but Fanqi didn't mind. He had used his annoying friend to worm his way into the center of the huddle several times, and Naoren had never looked down at him once. A small chirp from his pouch got his attention before he could really get going. All three of them bent down to see the little ball of fluffy down get fed. 

As the show continued, Fanqi responded to Pengyou's question. "I don't think so, I'm not anyone important. I bet you will get a green tag though."

He really did. Pengyou was a brave bird and a good friend; if anyone was destined to lead the colony, it should be him. It was only left to the judgment of the tall ones now. He certainly wouldn't get the red or yellow. He was not large enough for a red tag or fast enough for a yellow. 

"My mate has a tag!" Naoren piped up. "Xiaohua, got one her first year!"

The long silence must have weighed heavily on Naoren; that was the third time he had mentioned it today. The worst part was that Fanqi couldn't help but be jealous; not only had Naoren mated but with one of the blue tags too. Truly some people had all the luck. The females only got blue tags, but nearly half of them did, so it was a less prestigious position compared to the tagged males, but not by much.

"I'm sure you will get a tag, Fanqi ." Pengyou said with more sincerity than Fanqi could muster up. "You are much larger than any of us. The tall ones need to see that."

"I hope so." Fanqi muttered softly as Naoren's chick started squeaking again.

Not that much longer, the first female started to come back. The males sorted themselves into lines based on their tag color, and the females went to find their mates. Naoren left them then. "If Xiaohua is in this group, you'll wait for me to hand over the chick right?"

Pengyou agreed before Fanqi had a chance to say anything. Really he was too kind for his own good. Just looking at his friend Fanqi could tell that Pengyou couldn't wait any longer than he had to.

Luckily they didn't have to wait long. Naoren was back, his beak pinched in worry. Fanqi felt bad and laid a flipper across his sloped shoulders. "I'm sure she just wanted to make sure she had extra food for your chick to grow up to be the biggest."

"Yes, I'm sure that is it. Xiaohua is very fast, I'm sure she will be back in the next group." Naoren said, but he sounded a lot less chipper than he had before. "Well don't let me hold you up. The group is gathering and Pengyou…You better eat as much as you can, if you get big enough we are sure to find you a mate next year!"

 

5