Chapter 2: Tetrabear
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"That guy should be good prey." 

Frelain pointed at the magic beast.

With Frelain's teaching, I immediately recognized the boar-like monster as a Multitusk Boar.

The Multitusk Boar had four noticeable ivory tusks. 

This type of boar monster could grow up to four pairs of tusks. According to Frelain's teaching, a mature Multitusk Boar could be classified as a low D-class magical beast.

Unlike normal animals, magic beasts are animals that have undergone mutations in the past. They are generally more dangerous than regular animals, being stronger and smarter.

I nodded, slowly removing the bow hoisted on my waist and expertly retrieving an arrow from my quiver.

"What is the capital of the Cuprum Kingdom?" 

"The royal city of Otzi.“

I aimed my bow at the target, while Frelain comfortably leaned against a tree, his hands behind his head, continuing with his questions.

"What is the famous product of the Siliconie Kingdom?"

"Stained Glass.“

I adjusted my aim, taking into account variables such as air resistance and terminal velocity, while Frelain bombarded me with more questions.

"What is the name of the great river that separates the Aurum Empire and Argenti Empire?"

"There is no river between them but a mountain range called Frost Peak." 

I answered promptly and cautiously. Frelain seemed satisfied with my responses. This was part of my training regimen.

I timed my breathing and heartbeat. Despite the barrage of questions, I didn't lose focus on my prey. I remained still, not moving a muscle for a few seconds.

Something is coming…

Sensing multiple individuals just a few meters away from me, I loosened my grip and lowered my bow.

"Excellent, it seems like my training was not a waste." 

Frelain complimented me with a smile on his fair face. He had sensed them before me.

Frelain had traveled far and wide, and he had heard a famous Eastern proverb: "A mantis stalks a cicada without knowing an Oriole is behind it." 

Frelain wanted to train me to be a well-informed traveler and a wise hunter. To avoid becoming the mantis from that proverb, he taught me spatial awareness.

Spatial awareness allowed me to perceive the bigger picture by using all my senses. Frelain trained me to the point where I could answer questions even when deep asleep and defend myself from sneak attacks.

I lowered my body, perfectly hugging the branch. Sensing something amiss, the Multitusk Boar turned its head toward the direction and charged towards five silhouettes, trying to impale them with its tusks.

Among the five figures in my peripheral vision, I noticed four knights wearing thick armor and a young girl, maybe a year or two younger than me.

 They were frantically running from something.

"Have they been attacked?" 

"Let me take a look." 

Frelain floated above the treeline, his sight unhindered by the thick leaves. I felt the ground start to shake and heard the sound of trees falling.

"Hildbrand!" 

Frelain's usually carefree voice was replaced by a sense of urgency. 

"Let's replace your prey with this big guy. It's an adult Tetrabear."

A Tetrabear was a giant bear that could reach four meters in height. It had thick fur that could deflect most physical blows and four arms that could snap trees in half. It was classified as a C-class magical beast.

I looked at the panicked expression of the knights, which turned to dread. 

They were now pinned by two monsters—the Multitusk Boar charging in front was the least of their problems;

The real threat was the Tetrabear chasing behind them.

An elderly knight with a shield blocked the boar's path, gesturing for the others to move forward. 

The girl cried, attempting to save the old knight. 

At least the three other knights were smart enough to understand his sacrifice. They grabbed the girl and carried her away, despite her resistance.

With the teachings of Gregorie in mind, I stealthily moved towards the elderly knight's position. 

In a blink of an eye, I had already crossed multiple trees, close enough to hear the knight's labored breaths.

"Come at me!" 

The elderly knightwith a gleaming smile on his bloodied face, his final words uttered. He didn't even turn around his shield, exposing his back to the newly arrived Tetrabear.

The elderly knight was like a dried log against a wrecking ball, but he had done his duty. 

He felt content.

Most people would feel awe and maybe be compelled to help him, but I was not one of those people.

 I looked at the elderly knight with an emotionless face. Of course, I would help if I could, but I was not foolish enough to risk my life for a stranger.

Nana had warned me that if I wanted to save someone, I should make sure I was safe first.

Now that the elderly knight blocking its path had been swatted aside with one strike, the Tetrabear prepared to charge. 

In the split second it felt the resisting force lessen, it used its hind leg to push off the ground, gaining more momentum for its charge.

Rawr!

The Tetrabear howled, infuriated by the sudden attack from the Multitusk Boar. Its red eyes now burned with rage.

One of its four tusks impaled the Tetrabear's thigh. 

The Tetrabear, using its four arms, held each tusk and raised the Multitusk Boar into the air, using its weight to add more force by lowering its massive body.

Bam!

A loud crash echoed through the forest as the Tetrabear slammed the Multitusk Boar to the ground. 

Even with that powerful slam, the Multitusk Boar was still alive. But it wouldn't be for long. The Tetrabear clenched its fists into two giant knuckles. 

The following scene resembled using two sledgehammers to tenderize tough meat.

Boom!

Boom!

The explosive sounds rang out one after another. After a minute, they ceased.

The Tetrabear lay there, motionless and lifeless, its once fierce gaze now empty and hollow. It was oblivious to the fact that its own demise had come upon it. Blood oozed from the wound between its eyes, where half of an arrow had found its mark, piercing deep into its nerve organ and frontal brain.

It didn't stop because it has quenched its anger.

The best hunters are not those who can hunt more dangerous game, but those who can hunt dangerous game with a painless strike.

Using the teachings I had learned from Gregorie and Frelain, I had managed to slay a magical beast. While the Tetrabear had been raging.

Though, I technically cheated because Frelain had reminded me of its weak spot.

Its skull was thick, and a normal arrow wouldn't be able to puncture it. But Frelain had taught me the perfect timing for the strike.

I leaped to the ground. The Tetrabear was too huge for me to carry, so I needed to carve out the best cuts. 

I picked up the sword of the elderly knight lying on the ground, utilizing the swordsmanship I had learned from Emerys and the guidance from Frelain, who pointed out the areas where the best cuts were located. 

I also skinned parts of the skin, creating an improvised bag that I slung on my back.

I collected the magical beast core from the Tetrabear, but I didn't bother looking at the mangled flesh of the Multitusk Boar. 

Even if it had a core, it would have been crushed into fine dust. However, I did take two slightly damaged tusks.

"Excellent! Using the teachings of your various mentors and combining them is a great improvement. Well, I think we should go now.“ 

Frelain said with a satisfied smile on his fair face. 

"I would have died without any of your teachings."  

Emerys had been the first to teach me, but he wasn't skilled in weapons or combat. Then Frelain and Gregorie had appeared, and one thing led to another, with each of them imparting their own teachings to me.

"As one of your teachers, I am proud to hear that.“

Frelain and I looked up as we heard someone walking towards us. It was Gregorie, the doctor.

"Doctor? Gregorie, why are you here? Have we been gone that long?" I asked, surprised by his sudden appearance.

"No, I was just curious. I saw four people running in this direction and came to take a look.“

Frelain breathed a sigh of relief. 

"Frelain, can I borrow our student ?“

“Hildbrand, we shouldn't miss this chance."

"Doctor, what do you mean?" 

Gregorie was normally a straightforward, no-nonsense teacher. He was blunt, like any professional doctor, but he also had a caring side when he wasn't teaching.

Gregorie walked past us and approached the fallen knight. Standing beside the elderly knight, he tapped his glasses.

"It's time to use your knowledge of anatomy and medicine. We have a patient right here."

0