Chapter 15: Stickers
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun had set an hour ago, and I waited patiently a couple of rooftops down from the Pawn building. Susan reluctantly agreed to take me on patrol tonight, and we decided to meet here.

Henry didn't stick around, and Susan wasn't interested in my company, so I left after arranging things with her. Rex was working on my dossier on the Snow Gang, so I spent the day researching what I could about the city and its inhabitants.

There were rankings for supers online that included brief descriptions about them and their known abilities. It helped me get an idea of the players in this city. Most people placed a super named Saintess at the top of the list. It was a moniker I'd heard once before by that fire guy I stopped.

"I see you came dressed for the occasion," Susan called out from behind me as she landed. She wore a similar tight jumpsuit as last time, except white was the dominant color with a small splash of blue.

"Is creeping up on people a family thing? Henry did the same when we first met." Instead of answering her, I asked a question of my own.

Her frown told me it might have been the wrong move. She shrugged it off after returning to a more neutral expression and stretched out her hand.

"I wasn't trying to sneak up on you." Her earnestness convinced me to let it go.

"As part of our team, you'll need this." In her palm was a black disk about the size of a half dollar. I picked it up and gave her a questioning look.

"We call them suit stickers. Slap one onto whatever you're wearing, and it will change into a bodysuit. Its appearance will vary based on the clothes you have on." She explained.

"I've already got this." I pointed at the stasis suit I was wearing.

She disagreed with a shake of the head and responded. "The outfit created is highly reinforced, monitors your vitals, and connects you to our coms system."

My suit wasn't likely to take much damage, but I'd defer to her for tonight. Placing the sticker on my chest, it expanded quickly, covering my entire costume.

"It's also great for quick change." As she said that, I felt something slither up my neck and into my ear. On pure instinct, I tried to swat it away, but my fingers brushed against nothing.

"Do you hear me, Morgan?" Rex's voice resounded in my ear.

"Rex?" I asked while looking at Susan.

"He's in charge of overwatch. The first rule about our team is always to call in when working. If something were to happen, he could contact the others." It made perfect sense, so I nodded along.

Her voice was coming from both herself and the coms system. There was no noticeable lag which kept this from becoming annoying.

"Got anything for us, Rex?" She addressed the man in the chair while turning away from me.

"Things are pretty quiet tonight. We haven't had much of a presence in the Warehouse District lately. Crime rates in that area have ticked up in the last few months." Rex's suggestion had Susan nodding.

"We can start there." She turned back to me and furrowed her brow. "We're gonna do a flyover east of here. I can carry you."

"No need." Summoning Crystal's finger into my palm, I activated her power and floated into the air. I was really enjoying this personal forcefield.

A flicker around Susan's body was the only sign of her powers beginning to work as she rose up and stopped in a hover.

"Follow me then." She spoke while blasting off into the distance.

Susan Jordan, like her daughter, could create a personal forcefield. The key difference between the two was that she could make more than one and control it from a distance. Susan could construct them around other people to protect or trap them. Her ability also let her reshape these barriers to simulate telekinesis by molding an invisible hand or other tools.

She slowed down after a few minutes of flying and took position beside me.

"There's not usually much activity in this area at night, so look for any signs of people." She informed me.

We flew in silence for a while before I spoke up. "So, is this what it's usually like? Fly around a part of town at night looking for trouble?"

She glanced at me and then turned back while responding. "No. This is the first time I've gone on a patrol in months."

Surprisingly, she continued talking. "We mostly act as a deterrent and emergency response when other supers try to trash the city. Rex works with SID, and the rest of us have our own things."

I was interested in Rex working with this city's law enforcement. Exclusivity must not be a team rule. I opened my mouth to ask a question, but Susan spoke first.

"Summer still patrols, so you can team up with her if you like this." The hint of annoyance in her voice told me she wasn't fond of these patrols but still allowed them for some reason.

She probably didn't like her youngest daughter out fighting crime. I remember when powers first started to be known. There were children with incredible abilities recently traumatized by the mist hitting their city. These kids trying to play hero were the least of our concerns.

Rex's voice came over the com line. "I've got some news for you, Morgan. Those supers you took down were released."

I paused midair as several thoughts hit me. How were they let go after the destruction they caused? Rex knew about that fight?

"You already caught some supers?" Susan had also stopped when I did and was now questioning me.

"Yeah, two guys started throwing around fire while I was shopping." There wasn't a reason to hide it, so I told her.

I turned my attention back to Rex. "How could they free them?"

Rex seemed more confused at my question. "That's how things usually go. One was an underling of Saintess, and the other was Mike Snow. There would have been a retaliation if they had held onto them."

For a moment, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. They let these criminals get away due to fear of their bosses.

"What are we even doing patrolling if they're not even going to get a slap on the wrist!" My anger colored my tone.

"Calm down, Morgan. If it's a super associated with such a dangerous gang, then we play the long game." Susan tried to soothe me, but I knew her words were a lie.

This team didn't get anything done. They were scattered and unfocused. It wouldn't surprise me if the SID were the same.

In my time, it was up to the supers to catch these villains and allow the government to prosecute them. No one just got let go.

My frustration subsided to be replaced by a brief feeling of weariness. I pushed that down deep and got my head back in the game.

"Sorry, I overreacted." I moved forward with our patrol.

"Actually, I mentioned this for a reason. A drone was assigned to Mike Snow as he departed the SID building. It followed him back to a warehouse." Rex dragged the subject back up with some additional info.

Susan frowned at his mention of a warehouse. "Is that why you suggested this district?"

Rex took a second, but he responded. "Yes. My drones couldn't get inside, so I was wondering if the two of you could take a look?"

Susan shook her head in exasperation before looking at me.

"I'm fine with it." I readily agreed. In my own mind, I thanked Rex. Part of our deal was him helping me with the Snow Gang. I hadn't delivered my side yet, but the kid was already helping me.

"It's only a couple blocks over on 42nd Street. A single-story medium-sized building with a brick exterior and flaky blue paint over the windows." Rex gave us everything we needed.

Susan almost led us directly to it, but we landed on a rooftop across from the hideout. It wasn't dilapidated, which made the painted-over windows stand out more.

"What do you think?" Susan asked me while we gazed at the warehouse.

"Nothing looks strange to me, but the last base of theirs I went to was pretty mundane in appearance," I said.

A hole in the paint that someone scratched off gave me an idea.

"I can scout the building from here if it's ok?" I offered.

Susan narrowed her eyes at our target and then at me.

"Alright." With that, she took a seat on a nearby air conditioning unit.

 

Authors Note:

 

Head over to my Patreon to support me and view a new illustration for each chapter.

Thank you so much for reading my story! Any comments are appreciated!
Please consider supporting me by donating to Patreon or Paypal!

Please leave comments and reviews. I'd like to know what everyone thinks. What parts do you like and what parts are terrible? What is the story missing?

 

0