Chapter 41
161 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wind cutter.  One of the highest staples of basic magic.  Also complete bullshit.  If cutting something with razor sharp wind was possible in this world, then Jelin was sure it was a higher class of magic than he was capable of for possibly years to come.  If he ever found someone who could do such thing he should probably run or ask to be taught because with having the kind of power and control it takes to accomplish that it becomes nothing more than a flex.

Shadow spikes were another of those things that didn't work.  There was just no substance there so they just looked scary, which could do something in the right situation so it was still marginally useful.  Throwing lightning from his hand and feet worked fairly well up to a certain distance.  The further it had to travel, the harder it was to control and with it being so fast, it just flew off and did its own thing after about ten meters or so.

He did have some successes, though.  Magic kept closer to his body was incredibly potent in both power and control.  He could actually cover himself in lightning, wind, and darkness all at the same time.  From how his hand looked, he had to assume that someone seeing all of him in that state would either be in awe or terrified.

After spending his morning playing around with his magic like that to understand it better and having lunch, he moved on to psychic stuff.  He warned Wings that he was going to be experimenting with her slightly so she should mostly try and ignore him.  She was a good subject because he had spent so much time with her telepathically and even a little empathically before she was in the link.

He had a better feel of the differences between the two now.  So he decided to try and explore those differences and see if he could separate the two even one the same subject.  After a couple of hours and a lot of help from his skills, he thought he had a good enough handle on it.  Next he moved on to a broader version of his earlier projects.

Trying to passively read the thoughts and emotions of others might be possible but there was a step in between that he hadn't thought about before.  He tried to spread his 'psychic goop' around to feel for living things in the area in general.  It was more of just checking the area by trying to only kind of telepathically and empathically connect.  As soon as one of them tried to connect, he would know he found something.

When night came he felt like he had made progress.  It would take some time to really learn control and make the reaching out thin enough that nobody would notice while he automatically just didn't connect.  He dubbed these new types of abilities 'Sense Thoughts' and 'Sense Emotions'.  Together it would be called 'Sense Minds'.  

Figuring that his psychic capabilities were his most lacking, he chose that as his focus for the next couple of days.  Occasionally he would even have Legs accompany him in his training.  Not only would any of his insights potentially help her but she had a very active mind so she sometimes came up with interesting things to try or consider.

It was thanks to Legs that he learned a kind of psychic mind attack.  It was more like a mental punch while wearing soft gloves but could still disorient and cause a pretty massive headache.  Happy that even more progress had been made he skipped happily alongside Legs on their return to the room to sleep and was pleasantly surprised to see that Wings had finally decided to join them.

That turned out to be one of the best sleeps he could remember ever having.  He awoke the next morning happy and refreshed.

As they ate breakfast he let them know about his and Legs' most recent psychic discoveries.  If any of them ended up trying to gain psychic abilities it would only help.  After explaining it all as best as he could with the occasional help from Legs giving her perspective he decided to put a more general timeframe down for things.

<So...Wings, Queenie, and Scratches are all at the Greater Child stage already so I'm not as worried there.  I want to make sure everyone evolves one more time before I do, whether you evolve to a Greater Child or not.  I still need a little more time myself so I'm not holding back but I think it helps a little to watch you guys evolve, too.

I know some of you are close.  I also intend to try and evolve the rat again.  Is anyone uncomfortable with the idea of it eating some of your leftover molts from evolution?>

With nobody saying otherwise he went to the workshop with Scratches and gathered as many tiny pieces that were from different molts as they could find.  He also grabbed some small bones and sticky webbing from her to try one more time to stick some extra bones on the rat in case it did something.

While the rat steadily ate through the pile of molt pieces, bones, and cores that he had put in front of it he tried to carefully attach a few bones that he though would do well if they worked in places where they actually weren't quite as visible but still had a good connection to the actual skeleton of the rat.

When the time came, he fed it one last core and then started looking at the options.

{Shadow Bone Rat}

{Watcher Bone Rat}

{Pseudo-Chimeric Bone Rat}

{Sculpted Bone Rat}

{Poisonous Bone Rat}

{Blood Bone Rate}

In all honesty, he really wanted to pick up 'Watcher' this time with intention of 'Shadow' for the next since he knew the amount of evolutions was limited.  However, he had just spent hours working on adding bits and pieces to the thing in the hopes of getting something for it and he was sure that 'Sculpted' was that.

Letting out a small sigh, he chose the evolution and let it happen.

Since the only thing he could do here now would be watch the evolution, he decided to take a little break and see what the progress in music was like.  He walked over to the workshop and saw Scratches concentrating on trying to do something by using a small mass of threads she was holding. 

He tried to wait for a moment where he wouldn't startle her.  After a few moments she finally stopped and let out a breath.

<That looked impressive at least.  What were you doing or trying to do?>

<I was seeing what the limits of manipulating the threads themselves was.  I think I can do better once I get the hang of it.  Did you need something?>

<Need?  No.  I just thought I'd see how the music stuff was going.>

<Hmm.  I have a few ideas and the others had some pretty interesting ones, too, but there's a few things I'm trying to figure out before I put anything together.>

<Like what?>

<Like the threads.  I can't figure out how to stretch them quite right and keep them there.>

<Hm.  I know a few ways to make it work but that's one that I'd rather wait and see what everyone else can come up with first.  Any others?>

<Um.  There's some sticks and stones that make some decent sounds but I can't make it consistent.>

<That one I think I need to see.>

<Here.  This stick on this stone, then this stone...but this stick...see?>

<Okay.  That one I can help with.  You're trying to do too much there.  Stick with one stick.  Or use your legs, ssince that would be even more consistent and controlled.>

<...I feel silly.  Thanks.  I should go back through some of these and see if any can be simplified like that then.>

<So there's this saying from my past world.  Keep It Simple Stupid.  Or KISS.  It's basically a reminder to yourself that if you try to make things more complicated than needed that you're just being stupid.  Start with the simplest things first and then, as time or necessity comes, things will just naturally become more complicated.>

<KISS.  I'll remember that.  So, any ideas on my manipulation?  I feel like there's more to it, but...>

<Have you tried attaching a thread to something to manipulate that something through the thread instead of just trying to manipulate the thread?  Maybe try controlling plants and creatures, too?  Maybe pump magic into the threads just to see what happens?>

<No, no, and yes.  Well, that's two more things to try, now.  I should really come try asking you things when I feel stuck more often.>

<I've always said you can.>

<You've also said we need to think for ourselves, though.>

<That doesn't mean you can't try and get help when you're stuck.  It's the time before you get stuck that I have a problem with solving or helping solve.  If you're stuck, you're stuck, and there's nothing wrong with a little push.  For instance, that manipulation you have...have you considered what would happen if you pair it with telekinesis?  Or maybe some way to improve thinking speed, power, or amount?  Maybe both of those?>

<Wow.  Maybe I should try and figure out some psychic stuff, after all.>

9