Chapter 118
50 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jelin was happy to see that his 'Root' evolution had been fixed now that he had submitted two 'bug reports' to the gods.  He even considered taking it since it seemed it would have something to do with the 'Shoot' option Mel had.  However, it was iffy enough and he had enough other choices that made his decision difficult that he decided to forgo it this time around.  After dismissing the two options that just felt awkward to even consider and all of the specialization style choices, he was left with three options.  Since he was only considering 'Poison' as an option to not have to worry about being poisoned himself, he also dropped that option in the hopes he could get some kind of resistance skill later.

Between 'Swarm' and 'Magic', he had to try and think about which would be either more helpful at present or easier to get through so he could get the other sooner.  He was reasonably content with the magic he had, even if he couldn't figure out why it never let him act like a mage of the races enough to fake the class.  Trying to add proficiency with that and extend those horizons seemed like just adding more to his work.

Using that as his reasoning, he chose 'Swarm' and drifted off into that strange space again.  When he woke up again after what he assumed was about a week, he was met with an unusual surprise.  Before he even opened his eyes, he caught himself reading a system message.  It was different from the ones that he had gotten in recent times in that it had a kind of ethereal feel like the first ones he read when gaining his new species.

[You have been offer the title [Problem Solver] by the gods.  Do you accept?

[Forwarding administrator message:

Hello Jelin'Do.  Sorry for the temporary interruption.  We had a discussion and realized that the new title might confuse you slightly or make you think we were trying to interfere with you.  We agreed this message could be sent to ease those thoughts.  To explain it in terms you might best understand, it makes you an automatic bug finder by attaching a small detection program to you.  This would allow us and the system to find those small errors and correct them before you even notice them.  There should be no change to what or how you're doing.  It really will only make our jobs easier and you won't have to deal with worrying about you or your family being in danger from a glitch anymore.  Just to make sure we've even adjusted it to be a hidden title, so nobody below our level should ever be able to even see it or know you have it.  Accepting it will also make a few more of us be a little more accepting of your existence.  Probably.

Bergiones, God of Knowledge, Entertainment, and Battle
Kadryanea, Goddess of Souls, Death, and Water]

Jelin had to admit that even seeing that it had been offered by the gods had made him hesitant to consider accepting it.  The message did actually help and he might be able to make up some kind of argument about how it was all still interfering, but it felt kind of petty.  He gave it all only a little more thought before accepting the title.  As long as he wasn't being lied to, it would only be good for him and the gods both to have it.

He finally opened his eyes and saw the girls all gathered in front of him.  He gave them a light smile as he stood up and stretched.  He took a moment to feel around in the link to see if there were any noticeable differences.  After all, his family and their minions were all, in a way, his swarm.  Unfortunately, he couldn't notice any immediate differences in the link itself but he kept up hope that his evolution would still be something easy to figure out while helping his family be stronger in some way.

<So.  Anybody see any differences?>

<No.  Not really.>

<Well, that's a bit of a shame.  So, how's everything else going?  Nothing in the territory was destroyed while I was out or anything, right?  It's been only about week, anyways, right?>

<We got more of the underground finished.> <Everything is fine as far as we know.> <It's been almost exactly six days, yes.>

<Great.  So...why are all of you staring at me in such a strange way...?>

<You just seem...better.>

<I didn't know I was looking bad before...>

<No, not like that.  You're just...more...better.>

<Huh.  Maybe the 'Swarm' evolution did do something with the link after all.  It's not a bad feeling or anything, right?  Nobody feels less in control or anything?>

<No.  It's...comforting.  You just seem to feel more...important?  It's hard to explain...>

<I think I kind of got it.  As long as it's not too extreme then it shouldn't take too long to get used to it.  I hope.  Anyways, how is that one bat we let the humans try to raise?  Are our little bats doing fine and ready to evolve?>

<Huh?  Oh, right.  The one with the humans evolved before you did.  We thought you knew.  Our little three...will probably be ready soon?>

<Well, let's go for a visit over there, then.  I want to make sure that there aren't any major problems with their bat.  We're going to need to find or raise some less aggressive mother bats as well.>

Jelin led the way over to the guest area.  He used to refer to it as the human area, but ever since the foxes agreed to move there he had decided to designate it as the guest area instead since he planned to have anyone he gave guest status stay there from now on.  He was also planning on making the former fox area into something like a welcoming area or reception area.

As they were walking across the territory, some small creature jumping from one tree branch to another above him caught his attention and made him realize that he was slightly hungry.  It seemed to already be after noon so he missed lunch itself.  He figured that a little light hunting after visiting the guest area would be nice, so he turned his head to ask Kai if she cold fetch something small to snack on for the moment.

Before he could even ask the actual question, though, she darted up and away.  Jelin stopped walking and stared after her.  Kai soon returned with a dead squirrel, which she brought straight to his hands.  Instead of digging into it immediately, he gave her a questioning look while he waited for some kind of explanation.  She stared back at him for a few moments before tilting her head in confusion in return.

<Didn't you want me to get something small for you to eat?>

<Uh.  Yes?  I didn't ask for it yet, though.  You flew off before I even had the chance...>

<Huh?  I was sure you had already asked.  That's kind of weird...>

<Right.  Probably another little aspect of evolution.  Until we have a chance to really test this out, let's not have any of you try to start doing things like this before I even ask, though.>

Once that strange little incident was over, they continued on their way to the guest area with Jelin snacking on the squirrel.  When they arrived near the human residence, Jelin was lucky enough to catch Ain running out of the building while chasing a flying bundle of fluff.  Jelin tilted his head a little in confusion as she chased after it while shouting for it to come back.  Wondering if it ended up with one of the wilder evolutions and was becoming a problem, he used [Inspect] and almost choked.

[Lesser Child Cutie Bat (Bonded)]

He turned to the girls who seemed slightly curious about the events happening in front of them but much more curious about why he was choking for no reason.  He took a glance at Emmy briefly as a strange thought went through his head about fluffiness or something before looking over all the girls again.

<I take it none of you have gotten some kind of identifying skill, yet?  I think everything's fine here...>

4