Chapter 124
41 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jelin wasn't perfect and he knew it.  All too often he started doing things based off of his knowledge, theories, and guesses as if it were all facts to act on, even if the parts that were fact were only facts from his old world.  In this world, he was missing on real knowledge and facts as well as acting on too many theories and guesses, and he recognized this about himself.

With their new time of slow and peaceful building, he decided to try and advance his mentality before pushing for all the more obvious displays of advancement.  That also helped him work on his [Meditate] skill as he used it to try and get some more objective views on himself.  The fact that he was probably basing his actions on too many assumptions up until now was one of those views.

He also found that the way he saw his 'Swarm' evolution could go with the two types of swarms he thought of.  The first was an 'all for one' mentality, easily exemplified by Mel, where the swarm had a leader and everything about the swarm was for the leader or about the leader.  Mel was almost his worshipper and constantly tried to make sure everything among their family was directed more towards making his own wans and needs were taken care of over that of everyone else.

The other type of swarm led more in the direction of 'one for all' where there was no real leader or main hivemind.  Clare was the better example of such a member in their family with that kind of mentality.  She didn't care as much if it were Jelin or one of the others, she treated them all as part of the family and cared for them all equally.  In a simpler example it was like the difference between bees and locusts.

So far Jelin had been acting in words and feelings as if they were the 'one for all' type of swarm but his actions had been closer to the 'all for one' type.  That was likely part of why he was having trouble figuring out his 'Swarm' evolution.  He was trying to be two different kinds of swarms at the same time without even realizing it.  If he really wanted to move forward, he was going to have to figure out which direction was the real one to go in.

He wanted them all to be equally important.  He honestly even felt that the only reason he had even become the leader was because of his natural species inclinations and the knowledge he had from the beginning.  Of course, he had also been the one to mostly design his species, which also said something about his subconscious tendencies.  He had long ago convinced himself that it was all just to make sure that his family would be safe and as soon as their knowledge and experiences rivaled or surpassed his own, he would step down from the leader position.

He now looked at it all a little closer.  In many ways, they were already at that point or very close to it.  Yet, he still acted and was treated as the leader.  Not just because he was the center piece of the link, either.  Everything pointed at him having to think of himself as part of an 'all for one' type of swarm and no matter how much he tried to fight with himself over it, he knew it.  Accepting that, it didn't mean that he had to actually treat everyone as some kind of disposable drone, though.  He could still give everyone as much equal treatment as he wanted and try to meld the best of both worlds at least a little.

None of that realization really helped with his lack of knowledge, though.  Thus, he decided to share his worries and get consultation from his friend, Sapphire.  He had tried to exchange knowledge and such before but he thought about fully including her in helping him figure out how he wanted to do things or try and direct things moving forward.  The best leaders always listened to the advice of others, after all.

So, with that, he began his morning talks with her to discuss everything and change what was necessary starting from the very basis of each subject.  The very first thing was about monsters and beasts.  One grew with time and the intelligent ones seemed to be able to get classes, while the other traded both of those things for a more rapid improvement using evolution.  It was there that Sapphire noticed one of his first misconceptions.

Monsters could and often did grow faster and live longer than their non-monster counterparts to an extent but not quite to the extent he seemed to believe.  Most of the monsters he knew were all from the dungeon and had a naturally quicker early start and increased abilities because of that compared to natural monsters.  In addition, whether it was from the link or his otherworldly knowledge, those connected to him seemed to grow even faster.

She had heard of a humanlike monster, for instance, called a sandman who was almost human in every way other than being a monster.  They grew to the stage just before 'Adult' in about twelve to fifteen years compared to the human equivalent of sixteen to twenty years.  They also had a tendency to live for around two hundred to three hundred years compared to the humans who lived eighty to a hundred.  Lastly, from what she had heard, they were also slower on average, both physically and mentally, than humans by a noticeable degree.

In other words, Jelin and his family were growing at an unprecedented rate at the moment, likely from multiple reasons compounded, but she didn't expect that explosive kind of growth to continue even all the way up to adulthood.  The bats were another good example, as they were natural born.  They were growing a little faster than normal bat monsters should but not nearly as fast as Jelin and the girls had at the same stage.

Jelin thought about that for a while and realized that he was both relieved and worried.  The relief came from how any of their future descendants and such would likely take a little longer to grow.  Having your child go from being born to a fully grown adult in less than ten years would be a terrifying concept to deal with, especially if they were long-lived species like he was.  

He was also worried, though, that at the rate they were going and in the way they were doing things, they might make some irredeemable mistake.  Jelin's original evolution philosophy was based around building a solid base first and then evolving and growing into your own power.  Somehow that had started to change already into just accumulating as much early power as possible.  There was a good chance that if they kept going like that they would end up messing themselves up or missing something important somehow.

With that he requested Sapphire's help to start working out a better system.  The intelligent monsters that she had been raised by had a system of growth in place as well, after all, that she had learned and followed for her own advancement.  If they combined the best parts of both systems with all of the knowledge they each had and the reasoning for why each part of it should be done, then they could hopefully create a newer and better one.

With that designated as one of their joint projects, he also included her in his ideas and asked for her opinions, based on her own experiences, for things social, societal, cultural, and technological.  Just like he wanted everyone to have a solid base in evolution, he wanted his territory to have a solid base in rules, laws, and structure.

He considered her, from all the work she was also now putting in, to be the alternate leader of his territory in a way.  As he consulted her more and she helped him set more and more of a basis for everything, he felt that he should make her feel more included.  He was already tied to the territory in a supernatural and natural way to the point where in some ways he was the territory, thanks to his dungeon heritage.  After some light convincing, though, he finally decided to give the territory a name in her honor and named the territory 'Blue Jewel'.

1