Chapter Forty-Nine, Part Three
244 9 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Join our Discord! 

 

https://discord.gg/zcSZ98j6Jb

 

Thanks to everyone for reading! Please comment on any characters and universes you’d like to see in the future below the chapters. I can’t guarantee they’ll make it in, but I want to have some fun and fit in the audience's favourites if I can! Thanks again, and a huge thank you to my Patrons! I can’t make this content without support, and I’m super grateful for our supporters! This fanfiction is also available on my Patreon, I’ll always keep it free, so please visit! Our Patrons make this work possible, and if enough patrons want this novel to be a priority, it will be! Check out my new novel ‘Krypton Reborn: Dragon of the Sun,’ set in the Dragon Ball universe!

 

https://www.patreon.com/maizeblu

 

Now, on to the chapter!


 

“So tell me, why is it that you don’t exist in the future?” The Ancient One leaned back and sipped her tea. She had brought Dan to her chambers, while the rest of his group enjoyed the sights of Kamar-Taj. “Your actions ripple forwards in time, but you do not… it is the same with the past, as if your existence is rooted in the present.”

 

“I have no idea…” Dan reached for his own tea, a frown on his face. The Force of his own universe had similar troubles plotting out his future, but he’d never thought that his past was also different from the norm. “It’s not intentional on my part, but I do know that it’s difficult to predict my future.”

 

“Difficult?” The Ancient One snorted into her tea and coughed to clear her throat. “I suspect you’re aware of how I look into the future… if you can evade even my sight, few others will even notice your presence.”

 

“The time stone is one of many,” Dan shrugged as he finished his tea. There were plenty of entities that held more power than a single infinity stone. “I doubt I can avoid the awareness of the higher beings of the multiverse.”

 

“Indeed, some powers are beyond time,” the Ancient One sighed, face touched with an edge of fatigue. “But I believe you’re more well hidden than you know, so long as you stay quiet I think you’ll be left alone.”

 

“I suppose we’ll see,” Dan smiled. He would be quiet, from a certain point of view. Until he moved on the Ego stone, his activities would only impact this universe. “While I’m being my naturally quiet self, would you mind if I poked about your library?”

 

The magic of this universe relied on connections to powerful realms, usually one in the possession of mighty beings. Dan had access to a boundless realm of his own, one that was as of yet ownerless. The phantom zone was an untapped resource, capable of far more than it was being used for.

 

“Help yourself, young Cal has already made his way there,” the Ancient One laughed. She rose to her feet and Dan followed suit. “But I have a feeling you’re going to head out and meddle, before you settle in and study.”

 

“Well… there is a war on, you know?” Dan gave a sheepish grin as he followed the Sorcerer onto an open air balcony. His feet lifted from the floor, body suspended in the air as he gave a bow to his host. “I can put an end to the fighting and make some friends along the way!”

 


 

 

The metal pin sat, imobile on the desk. Blood rushed in an uncontrolled circuit through his heart, fueled by a new terror that rose above the numb, everyday horror that came with life in Sebastian Shaw’s camp. 

 

Eric slumped, exhausted against his threadbare cot. Yesterday, he’d been promised a visit with his mother. The source of his current fear, as nothing in this place was ever a reward. Shaw wanted him to awaken his power, but he didn’t even know where to start.

 

“Why can’t I do it…” Eric slammed his tiny fist against the wooden bedframe, a muffled thump that sent fire up his arm. The throb of pain did little to move his pin, but it distracted his mind for a moment or two. “I did it before, but I can’t remember how…”

 

It had been a moment of true, inexplicable loss. Separated from his parents after the German’s herded them from the trains, he’d lashed out in desperation. The memories were confused, muddled by the emotion and his reluctance to relive the moment.

 

“Meeeow…”

 

The soft croon almost forced Eric from bed, heart in his throat as he stared eye to eye with a sleek, black cat. White decorated its belly, alongside a zig-zag stripe up both its sides. Intelligence looked back at him from the feline's green orbs, curiosity and concern.

 

“How did you get in here, kitty?” Eric settled back onto the bed with a sigh as he reached out to scratch the cat’s chin. His room was locked and isolated, no way in or out but the guarded door in the corner. “Did you sneak in when they brought me back for the day?”

 

“Meow-meeow!”

 

The cat curled up next to him and displayed its belly, eyes half closed as Eric scratched its neck. It was good to have company, and even if this pet’s owner was an officer of the camp, he was grateful for its presence.

 

“Let’s get some sleep, little guy,” fatigue finally topped the mountain of tension in his body, a welcome wave that pulled closed his eyes. “They always come early, with the rising sun…”

 


 

 

“So… who is this red skull guy we’re supposed to hunt down?” Kara stretched her back, slightly uncomfortable in her modified suit. At the Emperor’s request, they’d both changed their armoured look to low profile body suits that bore the house sigil of EL.

 

“He’s one of the leaders of an organisation known as Hydra…” Cal sighed and rubbed his eyes. He’d passed on sleep in favour of time in the library. “Didn’t you read our mission files?”

 

“I skimmed them,” Kara shrugged as she pulled Cal into the air. “I knew you would read it, so what’s the point if I can just ask you which way to go?”

 

“West,” Cal shook his head and took control of his own flight. He pointed out their course, a straight line towards an American military camp. “We’re supposed to find the Human called ‘Captain America,’ and help him free his friend from a base… the Red Skull should be there.”

 

“Captain America, huh…” Kara shook her head. Even the Emperor has a ‘hero name,’ he planned to go by Superman to the people of this world. “I don’t understand why we can’t just use our real names… who cares if people know who we are?”

 

“Master Dan-EL said it was about creating an image, something for the people to worship,” Cal shrugged as he tapped at the sigil on his chest. “It seems like he wants to spread the image of his house to as many people as possible, but I’m not sure why…”

 

“Arrooo… woof-woof!”

 

Bear bounded through the sky behind them, a blurr that looped them twice before the dog settled into place beside them. Cal gave the happy creature a pat, while Kara ruffled his ears.

 

“What are you doing here, Bear?” Kara rubbed her face against Bear’s head, until the dog squirmed free of her grasp. “Did Dan-El send you to help out?”

 

“Arrrf-Arrrf!” Bear nodded his head, a joyful smile on his face. Cal laughed and waved toward the horizon.

 

“Come on then, we’ve got a timeline to keep!”

22