Chapter 2: It’s Magic Time!
1.2k 2 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Daron was coming down off of the high the excitement from being a horned rabbit gave him. Detaching himself from his mother’s tit he evened his breathing, he needed to slow down. Right now he was still a baby horned rabbit, with a challenge rating of F- the lowest rating with the scale going F all the way up to SSS with +/- given to augment races within the same letter grade.

 

Having calmed himself, he decided to start by checking the description for horned rabbit.

 

 

Race: Horned Rabbit

Grade: F-

A herbivorous race that eats mostly weeds and root vegetables. The horned rabbit is known mostly for its horn attacks, that can be troublesome if underestimated.

 

He didn’t learn anything new from it, but it was better to be safe than sorry. And with that, he had officially gone through everything he could go over in his status. Although that wasn’t the only window he could open, the other would be...

 

‘Abilities’

Abilities

Skills

[Passive]

N/A

[Active]

Horn attack (LV.1)

Magic

N/A

Resistances

N/A

 

Ok let’s start with the explanations again, don’t worry it’ll be short this time.

 

Skills are skills

 

Magic is a list of all the Schools of magic you know, and each school is a system of using mana to cause various effects. and is generally too diverse to define it any clearer than that, though the vast majority of magic ‘schools’ are elemental magic such as fire or air.

 

And finally, resistances are percentile reductions to types of damage, such as fire, slashing, or falling and while that might sound overpowered, it’s incredibly hard to gain. The exception to this being gifted it temporarily by a spell or equipment, and those rarely stack together with others from the same source, making it hard to get a high amount through them.

 

Ya see, pretty short, right? All that’s left is horn attack, and while he didn’t know exactly what that did, it wasn't hard to guess.

Skill (Active)

Horn Attack (LV.1)

An enhanced attack using your horn

Effects: deal 110% piercing damage

Cost: N/A

Cooldown: 30 sec.

 

A quite the basic skill, but very applicable. But now that he had finished going over his status and abilities, he was done checking the system. Seeing how identical it was to his second life, that meant there was a decent chance he was in the same world, but if he was how much time had passed? That is a question that could only be answered with time I guess. Now he really only had one thing he could do while waiting for his body to mature, and that was to practice magic.

 

He moved his body to a comfortable position, in what he could now assume is a rabbit burrow, and began to do a focused form of meditation.

 

The first thing to do when wanting to learn magic is to sense the mana in the air, this is much easier when you have a large source of mana, such as a magic item or a spellcaster. In some cases, you can even use yourself, but it’s better to try and sense the mana in the air if you don’t have a lot. Considering he was level 1, the best way was the standard way. Letting go of his body he focused his mind on trying to sense the world outside of himself, without using his sense of touch. After a minute or two, he began to feel the mana in the air. Without the mana detection skill, the mana seemed like a mass of fluid metal filling every inch of everything.

 

*Ding*

 

He slipped out of his meditative state when he heard a *Ding*, that symbolized that he got a notification from the system, and looked at the message.

You have acquired the passive skill ‘Mana Detection’

 

A short but sweet message that only told him the bare minimum, but it didn’t need to as bringing up the description of mana detection said it all

Skill (Passive)

Mana Detection (LV.1)

When you enter a meditative state you can sense the mana around you

Effect: increases your ability to detect and differentiate the mana within range

 

At first glance, this skill might seem useless other than to first learn magic, because you have to meditate to use it, but this skill is very important even after you learn magic. The reason you would want to keep training it even after you learn magic is that, when you get this skill to level 10 you can advance it into a skill that does so even when not meditating. Thus allowing you to be rarely caught unawares, except by skilled casters or rouges, making the biggest weakness of the caster a lot less dangerous.

 

However, that was for the future. Right now, he wanted to learn magic, therefore he continued with the next step. Entering the meditative state again he looked inwards finding the mana within himself, said mana was sloshing around within himself, no rhyme or reason to its pattern. When he tried to move it he found he couldn’t. He was disappointed at himself, while he wasn’t the best at casting magic, he expected to at least be able to manipulate his mana on the first try, even without the skill. But sighing, he went to work trying to move the mana, this time instead of trying to brute force it, he attempted to quicken or slow the currents of mana within himself. and was able to do it this time.

 

*Ding*

 

He paid no attention to the notification this time and concentrated on practicing. Daron only stopped when he could slowly move the mana as he wanted, even without relying on using the existing currents within his body. The other reason he stopped was that his stomach was screaming at him to drink more milk, so as he began drinking milk he checked his notifications.

 

You have acquired the passive skill ‘Mana Manipulation’

 

Your skill ‘Mana Manipulation’ has leveled up to LV.2

 

Your skill ‘Mana Manipulation’ has leveled up to LV.3

 

Skill (Passive)

Mana Manipulation (LV.3)

You are able to manipulate the mana within you

Effect: increases your ability to manipulate the mana within you

 

There wasn’t much to see from the notifications or the descriptions. Yet just like ‘Mana Detection’ this skill was important to train because, when your mana manipulation was low, there would be a delay in the speed of your spell casting, due to the time it would take to move the mana. and while this wouldn’t be a problem once it got to level 5 or so, it would be easier to learn higher-level magic the higher level this skill was. Luckily it can be trained along with Mana Detection when your intelligence gets a bit higher, so there isn’t a reason not to do so.

 

He wasn’t sure how long it had been since he had woken up but after drinking his fill he was getting mighty tired. So it seemed ‘today’ was over, and he would have to learn real magic tomorrow.

29