Chapter 4: Forests are Boaring
1.1k 6 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Fire magic was way too destructive for him to learn any of its spells right now, so he decided to learn his second school of magic, and probably the only one he would learn for the foreseeable future, Darkness. While darkness might seem evil and is considered such to an extent due to the high-affinity many Devil’s have to it, there wasn’t anything innately evil about it. In fact Darkness magic is mainly support magic, focusing on CCs (crowd control), with less direct attack spells.

 

So he began sensing the darkness around him. As he was in a rabbit burrow, the lack of light made it quite easy and it wasn’t long before the inky shadows around him felt alive, creepily crawling along his fur, gently stroking it, as if to threaten that it could pierce it at any moment. He shivered a moment. But his mother, most likely assuming that he was cold, snuggled him a bit closer to her, and that creeping dread welling up inside him, instantly disappeared.

 

*Ding*

You have learned the ‘Shadow’ school of magic

 

Oh yeah it’s called Shadow magic at the first tier, but most people refer to it as darkness magic when talking about the element

 

Magic

Shadow (Lv.1)

Tier: 1

Shadow magic is the school of magic that wields Shadows and Shadow mana

Effects: +1% damage from Shadow spells, -1% cost of Shadow Spells

 

And just like fire, he couldn’t use any spells from the shadow school of magic right now. Which means I really am truly out of new things to do until I grow up a bit more. And until then, I’ll probably just focus on increasing my Mana manipulation and detection.

 

___________

 

It had been a month since I had come to this world, and just as much as things had changed, they hadn’t. For most of the month, he had spent his time in his family’s warren either sleeping or playing with his siblings, though that was more of them playing with him, as he was focused on training his skills and the only worthwhile spell he had learned in the month DarkSight that, just like its name, gave him the ability to see in the dark. On the plus side, as he matured, his stats other than Int were raised by 1. And after becoming an adolescent in his species, his Vit to HP ratio increased from 1 = 1 up to 1 = 5, Shadow magic had also leveled up. However, he didn’t spend all of his time in the warren. Sometime in the month, he had been allowed, with his siblings, outside the warren. That’s when he discovered they were a lone family of horned rabbits. However, the lack of a father meant it was just him, his mother, and his siblings.

 

The outside world was a forest, with large (for him) trees and dense foliage covering the ground, with a small covered hole into the ground serving as an entrance to his home. He had also gotten his first taste of plant matter, and he gave it a 6/10, not the best, but fine for his day to day meals, with a wild root vegetable as a rare treat. He had learned foraging in his last life, so he knew what to look for to find them, and they tasted a fair bit better than the random weed.

 

Sadly, as nice as it has been, it was time for him to leave. Now that he moved away from breastfeeding, and had started to enter his adolescence, he felt he didn’t have a reason not to. While it would probably be best to stay until he became an adult, gaining the benefits from aging and having more time to practice his magic, rabbits didn’t live long… at least he thinks. He needed to evolve if he wanted to extend his lifespan, and it would be much easier to increase the level of his magic if he could use it in combat. So he felt it was time to set out into the forest his family called home.

 

His departure was uneventful he left while his siblings were playing outside the warren and his mother, who was watching them, probably didn’t think he would go far. It saddened his heart a bit to think that his mother and siblings would miss him, that his mother might search for him. In fact, it made him second guess himself for a moment, thinking that maybe he could just sneak off into the woods to hunt and practice magic like he was now. But in the end, he stayed firm. After all, it would only cause them trouble if he started hunting in the area. Humans or predators could trace it back to him and kill him and his family, for one reason or another. So he set out into the forest, never to see his family again.

 

Most of the forest was the same, tall trees and thick underbrush. But eventually, he found a small trickling stream and took a drink. his short trek through the forest parching his throat, and for the first time saw his body. He had already guessed this from looking at his paws, but his coat was a darkish brown, reminding him of the hair he had in his first life. he also had large ears and eyes that contrasted his small head giving an adorable appearance, that drove many girls to desire rabbits as pets.

 

As he was inspecting his body he heard a bush shaking on the other side of the stream and what emerged was a large boar with long tusks and dense fur covering most of its body, except its back that was covered in a craggy stone carapace running up to the top of its skull.

 

The boar didn’t notice him at first and went up to the stream to take a drink of water. Daron decided to take this chance to sneak back into the foliage and use identify on the big boy (is it? probably...).

Monster

Stoneback boar

 

Ah, he didn’t know the identify skill, so all he got was a name. Even without the help of the system, he could assume a few things just by looking at it.

 

  1. It’s a creature with a back made of stone, so Vit is probably its highest stat, he’d even wager that Str is its second-highest stat
  2. It probably has a passive skill giving it extra Def, and just like his horn attack, probably has some sort of tusk attack skill
  3. It probably can’t turn well with a stiff stone back.

 

*Ding*

 

As he went over these 3 things in his head, he heard the ding of a notification, so he quickly pulled it up, the boar almost done drinking its fill.

Due to expertly analyzing the characteristics of an enemy, you have gained the skill ‘Identify’

 

Perfect timing, using it on the ‘Stoneback Boar’ he got the following results.

Monster

Race: Stoneback Boar

Grade: E-

LV.3-6

Strongest Stat: Vit

Lowest Stat: Agi

Strengths: strong Def

Weakness: cannot make quick turns (manually observed)

 

Amazing! To think he would meet a perfect first enemy for his first fight! he was so elated he let out an adorable squeal of delight. With a snap, the boar’s head shot up to meet his gaze. The Boar’s eyes widened and,-

 

*Oink!!!*

 

-With a warcry, charged right at him fury in its eyes.

 

Note to self, Stoneback boars are prone to violence.

 

As the boar charged at him, he ran to the side. The boar was forced to make a wide turn, digging its feet into the soft topsoil of the forest to fight Its momentum. He guessed the adult boar was about equal to him in agility. Along with its inability to turn, he doubted it would get a hit on him, especially as he wasn’t planning on getting close to it.

 

Getting into close range at his level, or rather with his race, would have been suicidal. However, unlike the boar, he didn’t have to get close to attack. Focusing the mana in his Dantin to the tip of his horn, he changed it to fire mana and constructed the easiest spell of the fire school of magic, FireBolt.

 

Just as the name would suggest a bolt of flames emerged from his horn, quickly blasting into the boar’s flank,

 

*Wee! Wee!*

 

Letting out a pained cry, the boar closed its eyes for a moment from the pain but opening them less than a moment later, now with even more anger. It charged at him again, unlike last time though, a slight trail of light was left in its wake, as it charged at him faster than before. It was most likely using a skill of some sort. Luckily for him, the boar was quite stupid. If it had pulled this out mid charge, then Daron might not have been able to compensate. But with the boar having used it immediately, Daron was able to evade it easily.

 

And while the boar shot past him, he launched another FireBolt at the boar. The Stoneback boar, now seeming to realize it wouldn’t win, tried to run. Sadly running away wasn’t the boar’s forte, and having already used its charge skill, Daron was able to keep up with it for the short while it took for his repeated FireBolts to kill it.

 

Taking a moment to collect his breath, he checked his status.

 

Status

Name: Daron

Race: Horned rabbit

Titles: ‘Other planer’ ‘prodigy’ ‘spellcaster’

LV: 2/10

XP: 12/20 > 19/20

HP: 2/2 > 15/15

MP: 105/130

Def: 2 > 3

SP: 0

Str: 3 > 4

Vit: 2 > 3

Agi: 3 > 4

Int: 13

 

The only change had been in his xp that had raised by 7 to 19/20, meaning he was now an inch from level 3, and he had shot a total of 5 FireBolts for 5 MP each, leading to an expenditure of 25 mana. That reminded him, he had turned combat notifications off, so he wouldn’t be distracted in battle, so checking over his notifications, he got…

 

You have gained the skill ‘Identify’

 

You have gained the spell ‘FireBolt’

 

With their descriptions being

Skill (Active)

Identify (LV.1)

You are able to tell the general details about an item or creature

Effects: gain a general description of a creature

Cost: N/A

Cooldown: N/A

Spell

FireBolt (LV.1)

School: Fire

Using this spell you channel fire mana into a bolt and hurl it at your enemies

Effect: on hit deal minimal fire damage

Cost: 5 Mana

 

Identify is one of the most basic core skills in every person’s skillset, so much so, that it’s harder to find an adult that didn’t have identify, but nonetheless, it’s an OP skill. While on the other hand, ‘FireBolt’ didn’t list an exact damage, same as all other damage spells, but instead used a word like “minimal” to describe the damage. A spellcaster would have to use each spell to see where it would rank within that grey area, as for the damage of the FireBolts he was using? With his int, he guessed it would be somewhere around 7-10 when he first used it, but probably on the 3rdish casting, it seemed to level up and would have done roughly 10-15 damage. That combined with the fact the boar was probably not fully grown, and that magic ignores some Def, and it leads to only needing 5 attacks to kill it, earning him his first kill in this world.

But looking down at the burnt boar, he felt a bit awkward. After all, Horned rabbits are herbivorous, and it’s not like he had the tools or hands to collect the hide, not that he could carry or use it anyways. So his only choice was to leave it here, and while he wouldn’t feel bad about wasting the meat, as another animal would come by and eat it. eat it, what did bother him was that the scent of cooked flesh might draw another animal. Any animals who would go towards the scent of a dead animal were either scavengers, desperate, or a powerful predator. While he might be powerful for his level he was still an F- ranked monster, so most of the things in this forest could probably kill him.

With that thought in mind, he unhesitantly left the boar there and fled the scene at once. Not heading back to the stream where he found the boar, but rather Daron continued on in the forest looking for a place to settle down. The conditions for such being that most of the monsters in the area were of a low level and that it would be able to conceal him when he slept. However, it would probably take time to find one like that and he couldn’t just make one…

He just remembered he’s a rabbit, he can just dig one...

28