Chapter 42: The King Returns
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 42:

The King Returns

(Nick's POV)

Vanessa sat in a cushioned recliner that had been provided for her comfort and wore clothes that had been given to her by the care home. They were comfortable looking muted grey pajamas. She smiled as I walked in, Jasmine right behind me.

"Nick..." she attempted to stand to greet me, but Angela stopped her as I also raised a hand to tell her to stay.

"Please, don't get up," I insisted, giving her a gentle smile, "How are you feeling?"

"A little dizzy, if I'm honest," she chuckled weakly, "They say I lost a lot of blood, but...I should recover if I rest a bit."

"Good," I nodded, pulling a chair up next to her and sitting down, "Tell me, do you remember...anything? How this happened or...?"

She thought for a moment, but soon shook her head.

"No, not really," she answered a little dejectedly, "I'm sorry. I was just sleeping, and the next thing I knew...it felt like my body was on fire. Burning me from the inside out."

She began to tremble as if she was freezing. A single look to Angela was enough for her to produce a blanket that I helped cover her with, infusing it with some warmth. I may not be able to give her some of my energy, but I could do this for her.

Her smile as she thanked me was worth it.

"You don't have to..." she told me, but I simply shook my head.

"Nonsense," I replied, "It's the least I can do. After all, you've been looking after Aiden all this time."

"...Right," she grew sullen as she once again apologized, "I'm sorry, I won't be able to be of much use in my current state. I-"

"You've already done more than enough," I interrupted firmly, but with warmth, "Once you're back on your feet, you'll be good to go again."

"But, I need to-" she began to protest but once again, I cut her off, this time by placing my finger over her lips.

I was curious about something, as well as wanting to cut her off. I couldn't infuse my energy into her body, but perhaps...she could drink from me. As my finger touched her lips, I forced it to bleed and her eyes went wide. The first taste of my blood upon her tongue...and she was ravenous.

Her hair turned a dark shade of red, like blood itself as her fangs elongated. Her features became sharper as she held to my hand with a strength unlike any other. I held a hand up as everyone moved to act, and they froze in their places before relaxing once more.

"Drink, Vanessa," I urged her, smirking as I realized that it was working, "As much as you want. Even if you drain me, I won't die. I can't."

I chuckled, brushing her hair with my other hand as she drank greedily, lost to her hunger. Losing all that blood was sure to make even a Vampire starve. They usually fed on energy rather than blood, but it was still a source of sustenance for them, and mine...well, mine had to be a delicacy with the power which coursed through it.

I remembered Callisto's words. That she'd not let me die so easily, and this was a test for Vanessa, but...there was no way I was just going to leave her alone. She simply forbade me from giving her my energy the normal way. I realized quickly that this was a test to a Vampire's nature.

Callisto had given me the hints, subtle as they were. I felt Vanessa move from my finger to my wrist for a better flow of blood. Her fangs pierced my flesh as I grimaced. Her emerald eyes glowing with crimson veins like cracked glass. They were...beautiful.

"What you need to do is recover," I continued to tell her softly, admiring her hunger, "If that means I have to sacrifice my blood to you...then so be it. I've chosen you. Know that I won't let you go that easily."

I felt an obsession enter my heart as I beheld her with a possessive gaze. It was tender and fierce. Glancing towards Jasmine, I saw that she was a little jealous. Her arms crossed with a slight pout on her lips.

"What? Did you want a drink as well?" I teased and she rolled her eyes.

"No...I want something else, though," she smirked lasciviously and I returned the eye roll.

"Later," I promised, returning my gaze to Vanessa, "Once she's done, you'll have to take care of her so I can finish this. I know it's a lot with you also watching Aiden, but-"

"N-No..." Vanessa forced herself away from my wrist, breathing heavily as her complexion was returning to normal, her face covered in my blood, "I...I am also...watching him."

I smiled amusingly as I reached for one of the towels nearby. It seemed she was sated for now and back to her senses.

"I know," I told her, producing the towel to her, "I'll leave some of my blood here for you, but your priority is your recovery. Do you understand?"

She sheepishly took the towel and nodded, blushing deeply as she wiped her face clean. Suddenly, she was a shy noblewoman who felt like she had been caught doing something unladylike. It was adorable.

"Don't worry about it. It doesn't bother me," I assured her before she could say anything and then turned towards Angela, "Do you have any blood bags or...?"

I inquired to them as I held up my bleeding wrist. She quickly got right to work with procuring some. As I waited, I turned towards Jasmine who was just finishing cleaning her face and sitting daintily in her chair as if trying to pretend like she didn't just feast upon my blood.

"You'll start feeling some changes take place," I explained, watching her carefully as her features had returned to normal, "Perhaps a little stronger, lighter...faster. Focus on the blood coursing through you. Master it or it will master you. You'll feel hunger unlike any before."

"I do...feel strange," she admitted, looking at her hands as she flexed them before her, "Should I be worried?"

"Only if you lose control," I answered honestly, for I wasn't about to lie, "You'll feel your more baser instincts come out. It'll be stronger than you've ever faced before."

Glancing at Jasmine, I took on a serious tone.

"You care for her, do you not?" I asked, which surprised both of them.

"I mean...yeah, I guess?" Jasmine answered a little shyly, "I've grown to like her. She's a good woman. Fun. Intelligent. I think we're friends...aren't we?"

Jasmine glanced at Vanessa who gave a shy, small smile.

"Yeah...of course," Vanessa nodded, though hesitated for a moment, "Honestly...I've felt like you're the sister I never had."

Jasmine's eyes lit up as if she had just heard the best news. Vanessa quickly responded.

"Don't let it go to your head though!" she exclaimed, "Gods knows you already have a large enough ego..."

Jasmine made a sound similar to a mix of the purring of a cat and a giggle. It was quite the self-satisfied and amused sound.

"I always wanted a sister," Jasmine said with a pleased smirk.

A shiver ran up my spine as she said this, and I somehow felt like I had just created a rather dangerous bond. Not dangerous to them, but to me. Shaking the feeling off as Angela walked back into the room, I presented my arm as they began to fill bags full of my blood.

"If you get hungry, just pop a straw in and have your own personal Nick Blood Juice Pack," I joked, which got a grown from Jasmine and a giggle from Vanessa, with an eye roll from Angela, "Hey, I thought it was funny."

Once everything was filled, Angela prepared some bandages for my arms, but I simply waved her off as I held my arm out in front of me and whispered but a single phrase in the ancient tongue.

"Mend."

I didn't need the word now that I had grown stronger, but the word helped focus the energy and make it stronger. Everyone watched as my flesh mended itself with an amber gold light. It knitted itself back as if it had never been damaged in the first place.

"As good as new," I flexed my hand a bit just to make sure.

Catching Vanessa's expression from the corner of my eye, I saw that she was a little disconcerted. Perhaps self-conscious from losing control once I gave her some of my blood, or perhaps just feeling a little guilty.

"Vanessa, relax," I placed my hand upon her forearm, startling her a bit, "I'm good. I promise you. I'd not have done it if I didn't want to do it, do you understand?"

She glanced at my hand and then at the gentle expression I gave her. This seemed to help steady her nerves as she nodded.

"Thank you," she told me quietly, "Just...one more time. Was it really...okay?"

Her eyes searched my face for some kind of answer. She was seeking something. Perhaps the truth of how I felt. It was as though she was afraid of how she was perceived. I understood this in a way. Vampires weren't often looked upon kindly, especially when it came to their feeding.

However, it didn't seem like she was ashamed of feeding. Rather, that it was me she had fed upon and wondered if I was disgusted by it. This, of course, was nonsense. It was, honestly, a strange feeling to have someone literally drink from you like a capri-sun, but I didn't hate it.

Truth be told, it had been surprisingly pleasant.

"Again, relax," I repeated as I reached over to carefully put some of her hair back in place that had fallen into disorder, "If you ever need a drink, or once this has passed and I am able, to give energy...I am more than willing. You need only ask, though I wouldn't get mad if you didn't."

I gave her a reassuring smile, tucking her hair behind her ear before standing. As I did, I felt something tug at my sleeve. Looking down, it was Vanessa who looked about nervously before taking a deep breath and calming herself.

"Thank you," she said once more, but this time with a bit more vigor, "This time, truly. I might take you up on your offer."

She smirked, glancing up at me with rather lascivious eyes. It made my pulse quicken, and I realized something. When this was over, I'd be free to do whatever I wanted...and they would be too. Well...shit.

Clearing my throat, I placed a hand upon the top of her head, hoping that it brought her comfort.

"You're important to me, Vanessa," I made sure to insist upon this by squeezing her head firmly, yet with affection, "You've helped me a lot, despite our...rocky interactions from before. I will return, but now...you must rest."

She nodded, a blush to her cheeks. I wanted to stay, to oversee her recovery, but I felt confident that she was at least stable for now. Even so, as I walked past Jasmine, I laid a hand upon her shoulder and held her gaze for a moment.

"Take care of her, please," I told her, "If she gets out of control...don't harm her. If things turn for the worse, you let me know and I'll return immediately."

"Don't worry, Nick," Jasmine assured me, placing her hand over mine and squeezing it gently, "I'll take care of our little lamb."

"Ours, huh?" I chuckled and shook my head, "It seems you have grown attached to her."

"What can I say?" Jasmine shrugged, "She grew on me. I like her."

"Then see that she stays in one piece," I reaffirmed my intent, and Jasmine nodded.

Taking one last look back at Vanessa, I gave her as charming of a grin as I could, which seemed to brighten her mood. She was looking much better, and with this momentary emergency past us, I focused on the task ahead.

As I walked from the room, I prepared myself to step into the halls of a place I had long since abandoned. I never thought I'd step foot there again until Calli was returned to me. In a cruel twist of fate, this was not meant to be. I would have to return empty handed, but...I was ready.

At least, I felt like I was. Even if she wasn't by my side, the Palace was our home. It was currently infested with vermin, and it was time to exterminate them. I couldn't very well leave it as it was. What kind of husband would I be if I couldn't present to them a clean, safe home?

-----

(Nick's POV, Cont.)

Before I left, I made a few rounds across Eastend Care Home, placing wards to protect it and the people inside. I didn't know how long it would take me to finish things with New Dawn. Even after Luxan and Crowley were gone, there were still remnants out there that had to be cleaned up.

One thing at a time, however, and my first priority was the safety of those I cherished. Callisto being able to enter Vanessa's room and force her to awaken in a rather violent way was concerning. I had personally placed wards after the attack by Alan, but still...she was able to slip through.

It wasn't like I really wanted to keep her out, but rather...I didn't want her hurting anyone else while her mind wasn't quite her own. I could see that she has been fighting it all this time, however, the Corruption was winning. I had my theories of how to stop it, but...I hadn't tested it yet.

These thoughts made me clutch at Josie's gem around my neck. I had not forgotten about her. Gods, I'd never forget. I kept her with me at all times, so I'd be reminded of my promise. I would free her, just as I'd free Calli. I took a deep breath, looking over the Grand Gardens from my vantage on a nearby building.

Yes, the Grand Gardens. I've been here several times, but there was one place...one area that I avoided. Even as I fought Harrison here. Even as I took many baths within the hidden grottos of the area when I didn't have a place to call my own. It was this place that I avoided at all costs, for the pain of the memories associated with it were too much.

"...I can't believe I didn't notice it," I sighed, cursing myself for being a fool.

The Grand Gardens was a massive park that spanned several hundred acres of land for a total of two square miles. It consisted of many different types of plants with varying landscapes. Hills, caves, waterfalls, ponds, streams, and varying different types of buildings. There were amphitheaters and picnic areas. It was incredible.

You might be able to forgive me for missing it in such a large space, but I couldn't. It was my own foolish self-imposed ignorance. I hated how clever New Dawn was for using such a blind spot. I was able to see it from my vantage point now. The air was stale and it was as if all color had been drained from a large area of the Grand Gardens.

Like a mist which hung in the air, there was a cloud of inky black substance that rolled along the ground. Anywhere it touched, color became drained and in some cases, like the unlucky Mortals and Fae shambling about in a half-daze, were kept in a half-living state as the Corruption took over their bodies. I was grateful to see that those left untouched avoided the area.

This was most likely because of how they perceived what they couldn't comprehend. To the mortals, it was probably a place where the drug addled thrived, and thus they believed it was dangerous. It broke my heart to see what was once such a beautiful area, filled with vibrant colors and gorgeous nature, reduced to such a drab state.

Taking a deep breath in, I could taste the stagnant, pungent aura radiating from the source of it all. A lone building amongst all the trees, hidden from most people's view. I had come here as a child many times to play, and it was oddly nostalgic to look upon it once more, but I had to get closer. Letting the wind take me, I flowed towards the forest's floor, landing just on the edge of where color began to drain from the surrounding world.

Taking a look around, I drew upon the power within me and pushed back against the encroaching shadows. With each step I took, the border between the Corruption and the Mortal world grew smaller. Where those infected touched, a monochrome light of black and white burned away the inky substance upon them. For most, this was simple, for others...I reached deep into their very souls and freed them from their torment.

Like will-o-wisps, orbs of floating color appeared where once there were people, animals, and even plants. Almost everything had a soul, and unfortunately for those too far gone, the only thing I could do...was return them to the cycle. There was something I noticed, however, as I continued on my path and returned the world to what it once was.

As the pools of inky black tar retreated from me, I felt something almost...primal within. Tilting my head, I watched as a particular batch of Corruption that pooled on the ground like water, suddenly slinky away...quivering. It was almost like the Corruption itself was...afraid.

At the same time, it felt almost...welcoming. As if it was retreating out of respect and because I told it to. This gave me hope in saving Calli, but at the same time, I was a little worried. Why could I suddenly feel this? Reaching out a hand towards a vine of oozing Corruption that was choking a tree, I beckoned to it.

Curiosity got the better of me, and almost like a child excited to see its parent...it shot towards me and wrapped around my arm. It clung to me, twisting firmly as if it was embracing me. I was careful to not let it sink into my flesh, and with a cold stare, I silently admonished it as if it was a child, and it...was receptive.

"What the fuck..." I muttered, watching as it practically sulked.

Its amorphous form drooped, like it was hanging its head...if it had a head. This proved my theory. Something that I had never thought possible. The Corruption...it had sentience.

Like anything else in this world, even if it had been created by New Dawns folly, it was...alive. I always thought it was some mindless, creeping substance that took the life out of everything it touched. But now I wondered...perhaps there was something more to it.

"I'll have to get answers from them..." I whispered to myself as I continued my journey.

The "them" I was referring to was New Dawn, specifically Luxan and Crowley. I had the gist of how they created such a thing, and the ritual which led to the Cataclysm, but it felt like a piece was still missing. Lately, I hadn't been running into as much Corruption as before, but the moment I reach the heart of where all of my pain stemmed from...it was almost rampant.

Was this because of Luxan and Crowley? I was sure that I had stopped their plans for the City of Horizon, so this shouldn't exist...unless something was going on in the Palace itself. Perhaps someone who was able to "control" it like the man who had corrupted Josie. Though, that didn't explain why I was suddenly able to control it. Command it.

Damn it...what was I missing?

Subconsciously, I thumbed Josie's gem in a protective, calming way. I was lost deep in thought as I pushed back the Corruption until nothing was left, until finally, I arrived at my destination. The gateway to the Realm of the Fae.

Sure, there were other places one could slip through, such as the various districts around the city, but this place...this was where you could truly enter the Faelands. It was true that the Faelands and Mortal world overlapped, as you've seen through my journey, but it was here that one could enter a whole new realm. What could be considered the Capital of the Faelands.

That place was called: Sunhold.

It was a land of green hills and vast meadows. Among its beautiful, glistening streams and pristine groves, was a city unlike any other. Made of white stone, it spanned the entire Grand Gardens and some of Horizon itself, but only this entrance allowed you to enter the City of Sunhold itself. Any other hidden grove or pathway would lead into the lands surrounding it. That's why I always avoided this entrance.

Of course, you could find this place through the other districts once you entered them, but it was a journey much like any other in a vast world of interconnecting domains. I always avoided those as well. The farther I could get, the better. At least, that's what I always thought.

With another deep breath, I beheld the old, decrepit looking church which acted as the anchor to Sunhold. It was half-standing, with brick walls already collapsed and vines creeping along what was left. There were no doors, having rotted away or been removed, leaving only hollow arches leading inside.

Sun filtered in from the holes in the roof, illuminating a beautiful grassy floor where many flowers and a small pond had naturally formed from years of neglect. Nature had returned to this place in the most beautiful of ways. When I found this place as a child, I had been enamored by it. Fascinated with how tranquil it had felt back then.

Now...there was a haunting calm to the area. A chill which permeated it and reminded me of when I first found the Citadel with Jasmine. I walked inside with a quiet reverence. This place was where I had first caught a glimpse of Callista. It was fleeting, and perhaps she had been shy...or wary of me at first, but she had soon made herself known and the rest...well, the rest was all history.

A piece of myself that I had felt was missing had been filled by her. Ever since, various pieces of me had been fitted by those who have come into my life. Jasmine, Vanessa...Josie.

"Ah..." I glanced down to feel the pulsing warmth of her gem, as if she had felt my thoughts about her, "I apologize. I'll free you soon, as I'm confident now, but there is something I must take care of. I wish to create a safe place where you might return. Hold on a little while longer, will you?"

I swore I felt a pleased, agreeing thrum come from within, but perhaps it was just me being hopeful. Either way, I gave a warm smile and tucked her safely back beneath my shirt and patted it. Walking to the center of the building, I gazed upon the muted colors of the flowers growing here. Tulips and Daisies. A few Carnations and Sunflowers. There was a variety of them.

I traced my hand along one of the few remaining support pillars, feeling the brick beneath my fingers. Power surged forth from within me as I laid claim to this place. Like the saturation being turned up on a television, the area came to life as color returned to it. I felt it. The return of life to the area...and the link to Sunhold.

Taking my time to admire the reflection within the natural made pond and the flowers skirting its edges, I finally resolved myself. I had been approaching this place with apprehension, afraid of what I might see. Now, however, was not the time to be afraid.

I had to face it. I had to end it, and so, I began the ritual to enter the place I once called home. A place I never thought I'd step foot in again until I had saved Calli. That wasn't an option anymore. I had to do this.

Once around the pond clockwise. Twice around the pillar in the center to the left. Cross the remaining supports in a figure eight...and finally, place your hand upon the threshold of the entrance. There was a resonating hum as the air suddenly shifted. I let out the breath I had been holding and stepped from the building.

I was greeted with the small courtyard of an old abbey tucked away. This one, not as overgrown as the one in the Grand Gardens. A singular cherry tree grew from a dirt patch that had been designated for it. Cobblestones laid the path towards a small wall with an iron wrought gate that hung open ever so slightly. The abbey was upon a hill which overlooked a small park and a vast city of white stone.

Nature melded with it all in perfect harmony. It was almost as I remembered it. Flags that fluttered high on spires bearing the symbol of the Royal Family. Yet my heart dropped as I saw that the city was in a desolate state. Making my way across the courtyard, I gazed down over Sunhold and what beheld me made my blood grow cold and yet boil at the same time.

Fae walked amongst the street in a very languid sense of life. They were miserable. It was as if they were only pretending to live. Simply going through the motions. I took a deep breath of the air, tasting upon it the taint which permeated it. It was just like the Citadel when I found, and the area outside, but...much worse as a choking miasma clung to everything.

"Damn it..." I turned my head to the right, towards the north, "Luxan...Crowley. What the fuck have you done? What have I allowed to transpire? Shit..."

The Palace, off in the distance with its once gleaming marble structure, was now darkened by a sickening smog, crackling with an ominous amber energy within. It was a shadow of its former self, and yet...even from here, I could feel its defiance against the intrusion. The strangest thing, however...is that I felt it beckon me. My name, whispered upon the wind. Reverberating within my very soul.

"Nicholas Fraye...Osran, King of the Fae. You have returned."

Swallowing hard, I stood in shock at the state of Sunhold and the Palace, for that same smog hung low in the city as well and was the source of that miasma. Like a dense fog rolling in and manipulating the people like puppets. The voice I heard was neither male nor female, but primordial. Ancient in calling.

"I'm sorry..." I spoke almost breathless, feeling ashamed, and I knew that it heard, "I've come to right my wrongs...and free this realm of the accursed state I've placed it in."

"You have returned."

It simply repeated, this time a bit more forceful. As if it was asking, rather than stating. Taking a long breath in, I straightened myself and stood proud before it. This was my home, and yes...

"I have returned," I said with authority, "Prepare for my arrival."

With a single step, I moved through the wrought iron gate and the world lurched before me. I appeared before the very gates of the Palace itself. Its imposing walls and huge, golden inlaid gates before me. Giant statues of Fae warriors stood guard on either side, with smaller statues decorating the plaza before it. Where I stood, the smog...this, miasma, retreated from me.

It left me a small pocket of freedom, and as I took in the area, the creaking of the gates opening drew me in. I could feel it. As the gates opened, the grinding of stone echoed throughout the area as every single statue bowed towards me. The Palace was welcoming me. I didn't think it would greet me after all this time, and with my heart filled with a sense of gratefulness, a slow smile crept across my lips.

"I've been away too long," I said, letting out a sigh of relief, "I'm finally home. Now...it's time to clean house."

With that, I strode forward into the depths of a home I once abandoned. Slowly, the gates closed behind me.

-----

Not as long as I had hoped this chapter would be, but it's how it turned out and felt right to leave it here for now. The events in the Palace will need their own chapters, and so I didn't want to put it at the end of this chapter.

One of those reasons is because I've been feeling rather sluggish lately, and unfortunately, that's been affecting my writing lately. So, I am trying to pace myself, so I don't rush anything while also doing it right. The end of this story is approaching, but there's still a few things I wish to do in the story before I bring it to a close.

I thank you all for your patience, and I may have a chapter or two of Regressor's Lover for you as well in the near future (hopefully, once I get all the kinks out of the current chapter in progress for it). As always, thank you for reading and I hope you look forward to more. <3 ^_^

0