Chapter 47: Determination
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 47:

Determination

(Nick's POV)

I floated there, surrounded by a never-ending void. The only light, or rather color, in this place were the stars twinkling everywhere. It was reflected in the "water" that I found myself in. Slowly, I began to push myself up out of where I lay adrift, and as soon as I did, the liquid surface became solid.

I took a deep breath and felt the acrid nature of this place. The death. The Decay. The Corruption. It permeated this place, and the water I had just pulled myself out of reflected back the endless abyss around me.

There was no end to this place. No real direction. I could, if I wanted to...fall forward and dive through the floor. In fact, that is exactly what I did. It was like passing through a waterfall onto the other side before it solidified into floor once more. About a half-inch of liquid permeated the surface I walked upon. It was easy to get disoriented here.

"...The Dreaming," I muttered to myself, and yet my voice still echoed, repeating back to me in a soft whisper all around.

I had tried, for so many years, to enter this place. I tried to kill myself. I tried to enter into a slumber. I tried to tear it open in various places of death...only to always fail.

I could never sleep deep enough, I could never die, and I could never grasp the realm of the dead. Now, I was finally here. I looked to my hands, seeing that it appeared almost drained of color. I sensed my body back on the floor in Aiden's room. There was a tether still connecting me.

"I might not have long..." I took another deep breath, allowing my awareness to expand.

In this place, the laws of reality were much different than that of the waking world. While it was an endless void, it was also a mirrored dimension of our own. That's why Calli was always able to see me through any reflective surface. The Dreaming. The Void. The Endless Abyss.

These were the many names for the realm that Callisto came from. In this place, up was down and down was up. Much like a dream, physics and dimensions held no sway here. Trying to give it structure was difficult, but possible. In fact, as I walked this place, my foot eventually hit truly solid ground.

A forested area of twisted trees with vacant branches. It was a barren, empty place void of any color save the souls of the dead who wandered its expanse. The dirt beneath my feet was like ash, giving no sound as footprints were left in my wake. I felt a coldness enter my bones, chilling me to my very soul.

I knew this place, I thought, or heard of it at least. Callisto had once told me of a great forest where the souls of the condemned would go to wander, lost for all eternity in an endless torment. It was a cold, desolate place of despair. Any warmth they knew in life, they wouldn't find it here.

This was made even worse by the presence of Corruption. I could truly feel it now. It was everywhere in this place. I saw the inky clouds cling to the ground like a low fog. They hugged the base of trees and barren shrubs. In such a place, I understood the sorrow that Callisto must have felt, being left alone for so many years.

In fact...

"Callisto..." I muttered her name upon my lips, a fondness attached to it, along with a sense of sympathy, "These forests were born of your loneliness..."

I reached for the trunk of a nearby tree, placing my hand firmly upon it. Almost immediately, my hand froze to the tree, ice beginning to form along it and lock me in place. The initial thought most would have is to try and pull away, but I wasn't like before and instead of struggling...I relaxed myself and listened.

All around me there were whispers buried deep, if one knew to listen, and I did. I reached into the very heart of this forest and heard them. They permeated every branch, every patch of grass and empty shrub. Whispers of a tormented soul, lost to the world...and it was very familiar.

"Lost. Alone...Alone. Alone. All alone."

I struggled against the cacophony of it all, but did not pull away. This voice...it was Callisto. Not just the one I knew, but of all of Callisto's incarnations. Young, old, everything in-between.

"Wandering. Dark. Alone. All alone. Afraid. Sad."

It tore my heart to listen to the eons of sorrow and loneliness that Callisto had gone through. Even more so when I began to hear something a little more recent.

"Betrayed. Liar. Left me. Killed me. Damned me."

I gasped at the intensity of it, yet did not falter, for I felt something quite familiar in those words. It laced them with a sickening scent that I knew quite well by now. Corruption.

"There you are..." I whispered, coaxing it out, "Come on. Tell me everything..."

"Liar. Betrayed. Killed me. Damned me. Sent me back. All alone. All alone."

I listened closely, intently. This was important not only to her, but to me. Her sorrows were mine, and I would free her from them.

"Cold. Lonely. So cold."

"There it is..." I finally had a grasp on it, the Corruption permeating this place, "You're not alone anymore, Callisto. I'm here. I told you, I'd never leave you. You want warmth? I'll give it to you."

I extended my heart and exposed the love I had for her. The way it burned so deeply in my soul that I often felt like I'd be consumed by it. I grasped at the Corruption, bade it obey me. I had always been with her, but now...I would embrace her.

All at once, as I sent my will of love and warmth outward, the Corruption which clung to every branch, trunk, bush, and patch of grass dispersed into a violet, starry mist which slowly enveloped the entire forest. It lit up with the soft, warm glow of its light. The frost upon my hand began to retreat as another voice began to echo somberly.

"Save me. You promised. You promised."

"That's why I'm here..." I responded, affectionately caressing the bark of the tree, "Feel my warmth. Know my presence. I shall free you from this torment."

As I removed my hand from the tree, the mist took its place. It was gentle and tender, and as the mist shrouded the forest in its presence, color although muted, began to return. The souls of the dead who had wandered here, tormented and condemned for their deeds in life, flocked to the mist like insects drawn to light.

For a brief moment, they felt relief from their torment before I waved them away. This was not for them. This was for her.

Satisfied that I was making progress, I moved on, making my way through the forest. From within the ash of the ground, with each step I made, flowers made of a soothing mist blossomed in my wake. I would free her from the burden she's bore this entire time. It should have been mine to carry, but now that I was here...she could let it go.

-----

(Moments Later, Nick's POV)

As I journeyed through The Dreaming, my footfalls were preluded by the encroaching Corruption that was drawn towards me like a moth to flame. My presence called out to it. Cleansed it. I bade it bathe this place in its warmth and make it known to Callisto that I was here.

I could feel her here in the decrepit halls of the past. A mirrored, stark version of the Palace halls. Twisted arches with vines that dug into the stone. Their thorns sharp and uninviting. Still, I caressed them with a loving affection, unconcerned for their threats.

"My poor love..." I whispered sweetly, "Have you grown so rigid that you don't even greet me?"

I was teasing, the vines quivering at my touch as they reluctantly began to blossom. I chuckled, finding their coyness adorable. You see, these vines were not just decoration, but the very bindings around Callisto's soul. This was her home, and as such, she was tied to it.

Wincing, I glanced down to see that the vines had wrapped around my arm and dug in as if looking for a home. I sighed, feigning annoyance with a playful admonishment.

"Hey now, that's not nice," I didn't mind the pain, nor the blood they drew, "Alright, very well...come on."

I beckoned to them, and in excitement began to twist around me until my entire right arm, neck, and half of my chest was covered in them. It didn't end there as I soon became enveloped completely within their thorny embrace. Within the dark confines of the vines, I heard her voice again.

" It's dark. So dark. No one. All alone..."

"I'm here," I responded softly, feeling the thorns prick at my tongue.

"Liar! No one...you're fake. A liar. It hurts..."

"Pierce me, tear me apart..." I told them, relaxing my body and inviting the thorns in, "I'm not going anywhere. I. Am. Here."

The vines tightened, digging into my body. I stood against it, welcoming it. I did not fight it, for I knew what this was. It was Callisto's pain. The pain she's felt from years of loneliness. The pain of feeling betrayed. All those years in this cold place.

I opened my heart to her pain and allowed it to enter me. I wasn't going to hide from it. She was hurting just as I was, and it was my responsibility to...no. That wasn't right. I simply loved her, and when you love someone, you don't want them to hurt.

I could feel the Corruption deep within, knowing that it was only making it worse. The sickening hunger that swallowed any sense of joy or happiness in her life and turned it into pain...I fiercely admonished it. I reached my senses towards it and firmly took hold. It was mine, and I'd not have it harm Callisto anymore.

"Return to me, you insolent child..." I called to it and in turn, it twisted in defiance, "I said...return to me."

A flash of light exuded from me and shrouded the Corruption, burning away the vile nature it had become and returned it once more to my control. I felt my heart quicken as the strain from doing so threatened to send me back to the waking world. I held my ground, refusing to leave until I had finished what I had come here for.

I wasn't leaving without Calli.

"Now then..." I mumbled, calling the newly cleansed power to me, the very familiar violet mist.

I bade it seep into the vines and fill it with my acceptance. There was a sudden give as the vines hesitated for a moment. Slowly, they began to retreat, relaxing into my now open arms. I took a deep breath, gasping as I was finally free from their suffocating bramble. Not that I had minded, but now...both of us were breathing easy.

In fact, as I looked down at my arms where all the vines had gathered, a large, blossoming lotus had appeared. I smiled softly, stepping through one of the many archways in this place and into a peaceful courtyard garden. Where I walked, color began to return, and as I knelt down by the still waters of a pond, I released the lotus into it. There, it floated out into the center.

"Even in the dark, there is beauty," I whispered lovingly, watching as the lotus grew a vast system of stems and vines that reached out into and across the pond.

The entire place became revitalized, the pond becoming a pristine, clear blue. I was bringing light to the dark and returning to Callisto what was once taken from her. I would keep my promise and free her from the hold that the Corruption had on her.

I took a moment to appreciate the beauty of her soul, for this place...it was the very representation of it. Thorns began to fall away as in their place vibrant flowers blossomed and a sense of hope returned. Still, there was a certain bleakness that hung heavy in the air. I knew my work wasn't done.

Turning from the courtyard garden, I stepped through the archway I had stepped through before, only to appear in a very different, yet extremely familiar location. Instead of a hallway, I appeared upon a well-worn dirt path outside in what appeared like a forested area. Holly and Elm Trees, which were once lush and vibrant, now stood as twisted shadows of their former selves.

I took a deep breath, listening to the sounds around me, only to be met by an unsettling quiet. There wasn't a whisper of wind, a rustle of leaves, or even...the sound of my own breathing. In fact, as I took my breath, I found it caught in my throat. The air here was suffocating at best.

"...I should I have figured," I mumbled to myself, understanding exactly where I was.

I looked down the winding bath which led through these twisted woods, remembering a more colorful scene in my mind. Autumn leaves rustled in the wind as the berries upon the holly trees splashed the area with a rich red. The grass was green, threatening the edge of the worn path with delicate blades. The sweet smell of honeysuckle wafted into my nose, and just like that...I felt a brush against the back of my neck.

The Dreaming and my own memories began to meld. My perception flickering between the two. I saw Calli, appearing as Callisto in that moment, giggle as she ran past me. Her moonlit hair flowing behind her and a leaf in her hand which she had used to tickle me. A small smile curled the edge of my lips, only for it to slowly fade as I realized no one was there.

I was back in the dark of The Dreaming, but the sensation I had felt had not just been in my memory, but something that I had felt here in The Dreaming. Yet, no one was there. No sound. No smell of honeysuckle. No laughter. Only...a voice.

"You promised. Promised...a Promise. You made a promise..."

I tried to steady myself as a wave of guilt washed over me. It was stronger than I had ever felt before, and along with it came a deep sense of resentment, as well as a feeling of failure. A promise broken.

"You can't...break...what I've yet...to carry out," I stated defiantly as I fought away the immense pressure bearing down on me, "...And I will carry it out."

Even as I fought against the pressure, I welcomed the accusations, for I knew she wasn't in her right mind. She was desperate just as much as I was. She was afraid. The Corruption had polluted her mind for so long that it had almost become a part of her.

"We've fought for so long..." I swallowed hard, feeling the weight of it all upon my heart, "You against me. Me against you. Both of us against this sick, twisted fate that has trapped us."

I stood tall, bracing myself against the oppressive force. Closing my eyes, I beheld the memories of my past. I walked the dirt path, following a skipping Callisto, hands clasped behind her back. We appeared in a flowered meadow clearing where a clear, pristine pond resided.

There, within its waters, was a small island with a marble gazebo. Vines entwined up its pillars, flowers of yellow and red blossomed upon them. A gorgeous footbridge made of interwoven wood, like branches of a tree, spanned the gap between shore and island.

"...The Marble Grotto," I chuckled, the corner of my mouth curling into a half-smile as I opened my eyes to see that the road leading there was not as bright as it had been before, "That's where I made my promise to you. Where I said I'd get you out of here..."

Against all the force of this place pushing against me, I took a step forward. The weight of it reverberated out against the silent in a thunderous thud. A flash of memory crossed my vision. Callisto, smiling happily as she reached her hand out towards me.

"You wanted to talk?" she had inquired, and I remember nodding.

We sat on the edge of the gazebo as I held her hand. The dark, twisted forest flickered into view again as I took another, laborious step forward. The echoing thud of my foot resonated outwards. A wind blew across the pond as I was back in the grotto with Callisto.

"Yeah...you know, I've been thinking," I had said back then, rubbing the back of her hand affectionately with my thumb, "What if...you didn't have to wait to share Callista's body? What if-"

"Hold on, Nick..." Callisto looked a little curious in that shy, mischievous way only she could pull off, "Are you about to suggest...?"

"What do you think?" I teased, tickling the lobe of her ear, causing her to adorably giggle and scrunch her shoulder up, "You deserve a life of your own."

"I have a life now," she answered, cupping my face tenderly, "Right here. With you and my other half. We're happy, are we not?"

I didn't notice at the time, but there was a little bit of worry in her eye. She was hiding it well, but I had been set in my ways. Up until that point, Callista had been willingly allowing Callisto to inhabit her body, but only lasted for so long. Eventually, Callisto would be pulled back into her realm. I wanted a permanent solution.

The twisted path loomed before me again as I once more stepped forward. I wasn't going to stop here. Not when I was so close. I wouldn't give up. I refused.

I smelled the hint of honeysuckle as my vision returned to the memory.

"Absolutely blissful," I replied, placing a gentle kiss upon her palm, "Even so, Callisto...Calli, I'm going to free you. No matter what it takes."

Callisto's expression softened, tears of endearment watering her eyes. She smiled so lovingly that I felt my heart might explode.

"Do you mean that?" she asked, breaking the tough facade she had tried to put up before me, "Truly?"

In that moment, I pulled her into a firm, warm embrace. It was possessive as well as protective.

"With all my heart, Calli," I whispered sweetly, kissing her gently upon the head with reassurance, my words filling with absolute conviction, "I promise you. I will free you. Even if I have to tear this world apart."

With warm tears now streaming down her face, Callisto chuckled, wrapping her arms around me and hugging me tight.

"Well...let's hope it doesn't come to that," Callisto smiled, nestling into me as the vision of this memory began to fade.

In its place, as I took another step, more memories began to flood my mind as the woods came alive with whispers of Callisto's voice. Each one an accusation more vile and damning than the last. The memories, however, were sweeter than nectar.

They showed to me the times I held Callisto close. The nights we spent together under the stars. Every attempt I made in freeing her, including the one where I had almost succeeded, merging Callista and Callisto into one for a singular, very passionate night. The same one that had conceived Aiden.

Unfortunately, along with the sweet came the very sour, bitter memories. Callisto's slow descent into madness as my power began to corrode her mind. All unbeknownst to me. The birth of Corruption.

For the longest time I had blamed myself for failing to see the signs. Failing to stop New Dawn before it all began. After I had finally shed such guilt, I learned that it was my power which had been the true source of it all, and so...I would take responsibility now.

There was no more time for guilt. No more time for sorrow. In this hour of desperation, there was only one thing that I would do...push forward as I always had. My best and worst trait was stubbornness...and my love for those I cared about. My greatest strength and biggest weakness.

I was not about to fail when I was this close. In that moment, I finally stepped foot in that once glorious meadow, now a pale imitation of what used to be. It was nothing but twisted weeds and bramble. The pond's waters reflected a sickly black. Like ink. Corruption.

I didn't have much time to take everything in before a powerful blast of energy, filled with intense emotions of hatred, betrayal, and sorrowful desperation lashed out towards me. I was instantly engulfed in Corruption. As the darkness clouded by vision, I heard a voice that was most displeased.

"Damn you," it cursed, anger evident in their tone, "Why are you here?"

I recognized it immediately as Callisto's voice. I could never forget it, no matter how much the Corruption changed her. I took a deep breath, filling my lungs with this putrid air. This Corruption was different from all of the rest. It had become fused with Callisto in a way that was hard to separate, even for me.

However, it was still connected to me.

"Where else would I be?" I asked, letting out the breath I took, "I made a promise, after all."

Upon the exhale came the nebula-like mist of Corruption cleansed. No matter how deep it burrowed in Callisto's mind, heart, and soul...I would not see it harm her anymore. I freely took in the Corruption to enveloped me in, turning it all into a harmless, soothing mist that began to permeate the grotto.

There, with my vision now returned to me, I saw her in all of her glory, or at least...how she had once appeared. They very visage of the Witch Queen. A starry crown of thorns upon her head, her body enveloped in shadows and inky Corruption writhing about her. She stood across the bridge by the very same gazebo where I had made my promise to her. Though, right now, just like the grotto itself, the bridge, island, and gazebo were all pale, twisted imitations.

Callisto scowled, glancing at the encroaching mist. Those beautiful twilight eyes of hers swirled unnaturally, as if they were swallowing all light. There was a madness to them.

I remained calm, my focus now set.

"You already broke your promise!" she raged, throwing a hand out as another tendril of Corruption shot across the meadow towards me, "What use is it now!"

I smiled sympathetically, understanding in her rage. I made my way into the meadow and through the mist which was slowly steeping into the land. The tendril of Corruption aimed straight for my heart, specifically, the tether that kept me linked to the waking, living world. I didn't move out of the way or try to avoid it. I simply raised my hand, turning it to a nebular mist.

"Calli..." I used her name affectionately, my expression softening as I spoke with a calm, gentle tone, "I can't break what I've yet to do."

Another tendril of Corruption burst from the ground to my left, only to dissipate into the same harmless mist. Each step I took became easier, more purposeful. The attacks began to increase, only to fail one after the other.

"Why do you care!?" she screamed, motioning around the grotto, "You killed me! Damned me to this place!"

A barrage of corrupted attacks sprung out against me. This time, they found purchase and began to wrap around my body like snakes coiling around its prey. I was lifted into the air, the life being squeezed out of me, and yet...I remained as calm as I had started.

This wasn't her. Not really. When the twisted version of my power touched her heart and mind, it leaked into her soul and exacerbated all of her negative emotions. She knew the risks, and she trusted me to free her from it. Though, there was fear in her eyes.

This fear came from a place of concern. Concern that I might lose. Concern that she might end up killing me for real. As of now, she wasn't in full control of herself, but that fear was quite misplaced. Her trust, however...was incredibly well placed.

"Calli..." I called to her, words of ancient power following after as I drew strength into my body, lifting my arms against the constricting bindings and grabbing them firmly, "Don't count me out just yet."

I then pulled them away with little effort, breaking them into a haze of mist. I landed upon my feet and dusted myself off. Though this may just be my soul, I still had to be presentable. Callisto was taken aback by this sudden show of force, and as such, took an involuntary step back. Now free to move, I continued forward, making my way closer to the bridge.

"This doesn't change anything!" she snarled, raising a hand and lifting from the water of the pond the body of Callista, "Don't take another step or-"

Callista was covered in inky shadows, yet I'd recognize those eyes that shone like the Sun anywhere. I stopped for a moment, just a few feet from the bridge, and tilted my head. Callista lifted her head weakly, and even through the darkness, I saw her smile weakly at me.

"H-Hey," she greeted meekly, "You made it."

"Yeah," I nodded, warmth in the smile I gave her, "You good?"

"Been better," Callista answered coyly and attempted to shrug.

"Enough!" Callisto roared, her eyes glowing brightly, "Another step and I'll-"

Sighing, I looked upon her incredulously, and with all the love I could muster.

"You and I both know you won't," I stated simply, a little exasperated with her theatrics, "She is tied to you, even here. One cannot exist without the other."

Callisto huffed, tossing Callista upon the shore where she landed with a sickening thud. I could feel that she was weakened after being submerged in the Corruption, but even so, and despite that, Callista somehow found the energy to lift her hand just enough to give me a thumbs up. Cause, even in that moment, she thought it was appropriate to joke about her being okay.

"Jesus fucking Christ..." I couldn't help but swear as I shook my head at the indifference of it all, "Really, Calli?"

"Eh...I've been through worse, Little Star," Callista responded with as much playfulness as she could muster.

"No, you really haven't," I told her, focusing my attention back on Callista who was just a bridge away now, "As for you...I'm not going anywhere. So, you can either do your worst now, or-"

"My worst?" Callisto inquired, a rather sinister tone to her voice, "Very well. If that's what you desire."

Flashing her hand out towards the gazebo, a cold dread entered my heart for the first time, for there within the center of it materialized a still beating heart. It was shrouded in that sickly violet-green energy, but slowly an inky black substance was beginning to encroach upon it.

"Now I have your attention?" Callisto looked smug at my hesitance, "I love Aiden. Such a sweet, innocent child. Our child. I'd hate to start over, but...we could."

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared. There was only one person in this world, above all the rest, that I would toss everything away for, and that was Aiden. However, what tempered my fear was the knowledge that I wasn't the only one who'd sacrifice everything for Aiden.

"You're right, we could," I agreed, holding intense eye contact with her, "With a single thought, you could end his life. Sever the connection and you'll win."

"Do you think I won't?" she asked, sensing a certain challenge in my gaze, "I'll do it. I'll..."

Her words drifted away from me, for I knew them to simply be a facade. I had reached out to the part of her which was still in there. The same part that loved Aiden just as much as I did.

Even as she made her threats, I saw the hesitation. The slight quiver of her lip. The subtle uneasiness of her hand. Calli would never harm Aiden no matter how far gone she was. Whether it was Callista or Callisto, neither would ever dare dream of it. Even though she stole his heart, it had always been for a purpose, but never to harm him.

This was why I hate the Fae. Their plans were always so damn convoluted and extra. At the same time, it was why I loved the Fae, though specifically, Calli. Unlike most Fae who were fickle, and while Calli could be, she always had a purpose that she stayed true to. Much like me, she was incredibly stubborn and obsessive.

"If you were going to do it..." I whispered, for I didn't need to yell as I used that moment of hesitation to close the gap between us, "You would have done it back then."

I saw my opening and I took it. Callisto's eyes went wide, but it was already too late. She stumbled back, but I was there to catch her. With my hand in the small of her back, I pulled her close to me. Nebular mist drifted off of me like smoke as I locked eyes with her.

"Y-You..." she glowered at me, flustered and attempted to slap me with the same hand she had held towards Aiden's heart.

With an amused smile, I caught her arm by the wrist gently. I wasn't going to be rough with her. I didn't need to, nor did I want to. I already had her in my grasp.

"It's alright, Callisto, my love," I spoke softly to her, the mist enveloping and surrounding us both, "You don't have to fight anymore. Let's stop pretending, shall we?"

She tried to struggle, but it was rather half-hearted. I released her wrist, and she began to beat her fists against my chest.

"You shouldn't be here, you..." Callisto continued to whale against me, "Why? You could have given in to me. You didn't have to go through all of that!"

I chuckled softly as her true feelings began to show. I took her hits, as they were not meant to hurt me. It was more a defiant tantrum than anything.

"Adorable..." I whispered, causing her to give pause for a moment and a light blush to appear across her face.

"You're insane..." she muttered vehemently.

"True," I nodded sagely, "Insanely in love with you."

"..." she glared at me silently before raising her fist again and slamming it against my chest, "Jokes...even now?"

It wasn't a light hit, my chest feeling rather sore, but I didn't mind.

"It's no joke," I replied with a shrug, reaching up towards her face, "So, stop being stubborn."

I pulled her head towards my chest, cradling her to me in a comforting embrace.

"Damn it..." she growled, yet didn't resist.

The nebular mist continued to surround us, becoming dense and obscuring us from the rest of the world. I took her in my arms, soothingly caressing the back of her head as she began to tremble. I held no hate towards her, only love.

"Why...?" she repeated quietly.

"I'm stubborn," I answered simply, "You know this."

"Yeah..." for a moment, I thought I heard a little giggle, but it had been so brief that I wasn't sure.

What I was sure about is that she was no longer struggling.

"Still..." her voice lost the echo of power as she spoke, arms wrapping around me, "What the hell took you so long?"

I chuckled, tilting her chin up. I looked into her eyes, now free of the madness, though traces of it still remained. Inky tears stained her face. I smiled lovingly, wiping away the tears with my thumb.

"Well, you didn't exactly make it easy," I said teasingly before softening my words, "...I'd like to kiss you now."

She sulked slightly with a glare.

"Then, what are you waiting for?" she inquired sharply, attempting to hide her sudden embarrassment.

"Permission," I answered simply.

"Please, Nick," she scoffed, "You always have permission. So-"

I didn't waste another breath. The moment she told me I had permission was the moment I pulled her close to me, my lips locking with hers. I poured everything that I had into the kiss. The mist around us solidified into a cocoon.

It had been so long since I had tasted her lips or felt her touch. I could feel the tears begin to leak from my eyes as I scoured her soul and cleansed the last traces of Corruption from her. She held onto me tightly, hungry and greedy for more. I had to fight for every breath, but I wouldn't have minded if I never breathed again.

I had finally done it after all this time. The end to a long, arduous journey. Callisto was in my arms and as the mists faded away, we returned to a grotto renewed. It was still basked in shadows, but it was no longer twisted or corrupted. In fact, it was...blissful.

"Nick..." Callisto caressed my face as we both caught our breath, "You really came for me..."

"Of course I did," I said as if it wasn't ever in doubt, "You left enough hints for me. I just had to not be so damn blind."

"Heh, I knew you could do it..." Callisto told me shyly, "I'm sorry for everything, I-"

"Shh, it's alright," I reassured her with a shake of my head, "I'm just glad I have you back. I-"

"Finally..." Callista's voice chimed in with playful exasperation, "I'm happy, truly, but could we...do something about this?"

She gestured to the sickening Corruption clinging and oozing off of her body.

"Oh! Shit..." I exclaimed, feeling rather bashful for being caught up in the moment, "Yeah...I got that."

I had been so caught up with cleansing Callisto that I had completely ignored the external Corruption. I nodded and lifted my hand towards Callista. With a single snap of my fingers, the Corruption erupted into that familiar mist. Her midnight hair and golden eyes were a sight for sore eyes.

The pond was back to being crystal clear, though its depths still held the mysterious feeling of The Dreaming, reflecting the stars in the sky. Everything was finally right with the world. There was simply one more thing left to do, but before that...I held a hand out towards Callisto, beckoning her towards me. My heart was ready to burst from my chest.

She stood from the ground, dusted herself off, and glanced over at me with coy, mischievous eyes. I only had a fraction of a moment to register the burning desire and longing behind her eyes before she launched herself at me, completely ignoring the hand I had extended in favor of wrapping her arms around my neck in a near death grip. I didn't mind and simply wrapped the arm I had offered around her waist.

I had finally done it. Callisto and Callista were back in my arms. I held them close, never wanting to let go ever again. I was briefly allowed to breath just enough that I was able to see Callisto reach out with her hand towards Aiden's heart and beckon it towards her. I watched as it floated to us, the sickly violet-green energy now softer and more...peaceful. It was no longer sickening, but rather soothing.

"We'll need this, won't we?" Callisto asked sheepishly.

"Wouldn't leave without it," I answered, resting my forehead against hers, "First...I have a promise to keep."

I gathered the nebular mist from around the grotto and condensed it around us. I tapped deep into the power of my soul and the words of ancients. I spoke my wish upon the word, and as I saw the mists overtake us, the two of them embraced me once more, clinging tightly. I smiled, closing my eyes as I felt the pull of the waking world.

-----

This was a little difficult for me to write. Finding the right words to use in order to convey the emotion behind Nick's reunion with his family. It's a little difficult, but I hope that it wasn't diminished in any way.

Next chapter will be the last. I hope you've enjoyed this story. Thank you as always for reading. ^_^ <3

0